Chapter 14 Intrigues
258 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon arriving at the grand Vermilion mansion, Lyon declared with a certain firmness, "I'm going to change." Without hesitation, he headed for the servants' wing, the most discreet part of the mansion. In front of the property, a series of carriages were parked, indicating the presence of a significant number of guests, many of them sycophants. These individuals had the sole aim of getting close to Lord Vermilion, attracted primarily by the power and influence he held.

"Okay." The woman replied, apparently indifferent to Lyon's actions. She crossed the mansion's grand entrance gates without interruption, greeted by a soft melody that filled the air—probably the meeting point where guests waited for Lord Vermilion's arrival. Without wasting time, she headed towards the music.

Meanwhile, Lyon continued his journey through the mansion's corridors. At that moment, they were devoid of any movement, a stark contrast to the bustle outside. Upon reaching his modest servant's room, he quickly changed his clothes for a new and impeccable servant's suit, preparing for the tasks awaiting him.

The sudden, muffled sound of someone knocking on the door interrupted the room's silence. Soon Celeste's melodious voice echoed from the other side, filling the space. "Lyon, did you bring the plant I asked you for?" There was a hint of expectation in her voice.

Surprised, Lyon paused for a second, his hand trembling slightly as he remembered the plant. This particular plant, which almost cost him his life, was in his hands. He turned slowly, his fingers brushing the surface of the plant before grasping it firmly. With a more determined movement, he opened the door and presented the plant to Celeste.

"Thank you," Celeste thanked, her eyes shining with a grateful glow. She smiled, her face lighting up the dark corridor. That smile, so mysterious and intriguing, left Lyon perplexed. What could she be hiding?

Without saying anything else, she took the plant, turned to leave, her steps echoing in the hallway. But before completely disappearing from sight, she threw over her shoulder, "don't forget to go to the hall where the guests are, you might find an interesting person there... Or two." Her voice was laden with promise and mystery.

With Celeste disappearing down the hallway, Lyon found himself alone again. He was not used to serving people, it had never been his role. A sigh escaped his lips, a sound of resignation filling the space around him. But, despite his reluctance, he headed to the hall.

The hall was full of well-dressed nobles, chatting and laughing in small groups. The air was heavy with the strong smell of expensive perfumes and high-quality wine. Lyon felt out of place, surrounded by people far above his social rank. Still, he forced himself to walk through the hall, serving drinks and trying to remain invisible.

He couldn't stop thinking about Celeste's words - "you might find an interesting person there... Or two". He looked around, trying to figure out who she might be referring to.

Lyon, amid the crowd, didn't identify any particularly standout faces. With a mental shrug, he decided to ignore what Celeste had said earlier. His eyes drifted to the blue-haired woman, who seemed to be the center of attention, surrounded by a group of people competing for her attention.

Only two people, two women to be more precise, seemed to be conversing with the blue-haired woman at that moment. One of them he recognized as Miss Vermilion. The other, however, was a new face to him. A woman with purple hair that shone like amethysts under the soft room lighting.

He noticed that the woman with purple hair seemed a bit tense. Had she noticed his gaze? Perhaps it would be better to divert his eyes and focus on his work. The last thing he wanted was to cause trouble, especially with a noblewoman who undoubtedly held a high position in society.

As Lyon shifted his gaze, a voice echoed in the mind of the woman with purple hair. "Did you feel that?" The voice was soft, yet firm, like the whisper of a goddess.

"What?" The woman with purple hair shuddered, the tension increasing as the voice of her goddess resounded within her mind.

"That energy, it's very similar to mine. Didn't you feel it?" The goddess's voice sounded again, almost curious in tone. 

The purple-haired woman, whose name was Amara, looked around, her bright purple eyes scanning the hall for the source of the energy the goddess mentioned. Her gaze landed on Lyon, the servant who was serving drinks to the guests. He seemed ordinary, nothing that would stand out among the crowd of nobility and wealth, but there was something about him that caught her attention.

"Him?" Amara asked in her mind, not taking her eyes off Lyon.

"Yes, him. There's something about him. I feel an energy similar to mine. You should approach him, Amara."

Amara hesitated for a moment. She had never spoken to a servant before, at least not outside of the usual instructions she gave to her own servants. But curiosity and the goddess's encouragement were enough to convince her.

"Lady Moonstone, you seem extremely interested in that servant," observed the blue-haired woman, a slight smile playing on her lips as she watched with curiosity. She noticed a sudden shift in Lady Moonstone's focus. Her eyes, usually calm and distant, were firmly fixed on Lyon. Knowing that Lady Moonstone, also known as Amara, had a unique class, the Vessel of the Moon Goddess, the blue-haired woman couldn't help but wonder what this could mean. After all, Amara was the only known person capable of communicating directly with a god, regardless of being within a church or temple.

"It's nothing," Amara replied, her voice tone soft as moonlight, but with indescribable depth. "Just something about him seems familiar." She did not elaborate, but the blue-haired woman could see that she was speaking the truth. Amara, determined, intended to approach the servant as soon as they finished the conversation with the blue-haired woman and Lady Vermilion.

Lady Vermilion, for her part, was utterly intrigued. Her thoughts revolved around the peculiarities of Amara and Celeste. Celeste, with her Seer class, was already an enigma in itself. But she is eyeing that servant. Now, Amara, with her unique class, which allowed her to speak directly with the goddess, who now seems interested in that servant too. Lady Vermilion, who was already deeply interested in the servant, felt her curiosity intensify.

Seline, who had just made her entrance into the hall, immediately headed for the small circle formed by three distinct women. "First wife, Lady Moonstone, representative of the West Side," announced Seline in a respectful tone. It was crucial to maintain courtesy, as the two women shared the same status as her, one being the first wife of her husband, and the other married to someone of equivalent status to Seline's husband. The third woman, however, belonged to a higher stratum in the social hierarchy.

"Hello, Seline," replied the blue-haired woman who bore the title of representative of the West Side. A nod accompanied her greeting, a silent but cordial welcome to Seline.

"Third wife, you took your time. Were you busy with the preparation of the gift?" Lady Vermilion threw the question with a teasing smile, causing Seline to roll her eyes in a mix of amusement and exasperation.

"Our husband is taking a long time to arrive, don't you think?" Seline commented, her gaze drifting to the crowd filling the hall in search of a familiar figure. She longed for her husband's return, who had been absent for a few weeks.

The moment his name was mentioned, the grand hall door majestically opened, revealing the figure of a handsome man with hair as golden as the midday sun. He was impeccably dressed in a finely cut, elegant red outfit that perfectly contrasted with his luminous golden eyes. His gaze first fixed on his wives, the two closest to Amara and the blue-haired woman like the night sky, who were also present in the hall.

A silence laden with expectation took over the room, as the nobles present held their breath. After all, there stood one of the most influential and respected men, not only of Green Waters city but also of the entire western region. His arrival, always awaited and revered, was an event in itself.

However, something went unnoticed by most. Beside him, a stunning woman with short, wheat-colored hair, sported small horns and a tail with fine fur at the end. Her large breasts generously filled the neckline of her dress, further accentuating her stunning beauty.

Seline, upon noticing the woman beside her husband, immediately closed her expression, her face becoming a mask of disapproval. "Another one...," she thought, feeling anger bubble in her chest. Yet, she remained silent, suppressing her irritation. She knew that, above all, she needed to maintain her posture and act as the exemplary wife she had always been.

"Hello, how are you, my dears?" Lord Vermilion's deep, engaging voice filled the hall, echoing with a combination of authority and tenderness. He approached, his steps resonating with a cadence that denoted both power and grace.

Upon reaching his two wives, he extended his arms as if they were welcoming wings, enveloping them in a warm and tight embrace. His golden eyes shone with genuine fondness and affection, an expression that was reserved only for them.

"We're fine, dear," Seline said forcefully, her smile not reaching her eyes. Lady Vermilion merely nodded, a polite smile on her face. They then turned their attention to the woman beside Lord Vermilion. The wheat-haired woman took a step forward, her tail lightly swinging behind her.

"Allow me to introduce Lady Kira. She's the leader of the cow clan and also my new wife," Lord Vermilion said, smiling at the woman beside him.

Amara, observing all this, felt a tug in her mind. The goddess was drawing her attention to Lyon again. He was standing at the corner of the hall, watching the scene unfold before him with a neutral expression.

"I will speak to him now," Amara thought, excusing herself from the group of women and heading towards Lyon. She approached him, her dark purple dress gently rippling around her legs.

"Lyon, isn't it?" she asked, capturing his attention. He looked at her in surprise, clearly not expecting the noblewoman to speak to him.

"Yes, ma'am. How may I assist you?" He asked, bowing respectfully.

Meanwhile, the tension in the group of women escalated. Seline seemed about to explode, while Lady Vermilion maintained her polite smile. The blue-haired woman merely watched with interest, clearly curious to see how the situation would unfold. And Lady Kira, the new addition to the group, just smiled, seeming completely at ease among Lord Vermilion's wives.

While everyone in the hall watched the scene, no one noticed the intrigued expression on Lyon's face as he spoke with Amara. No one, except Celeste, who observed everything with an enigmatic smile on her face.

7