Chapter 3: Making Plans
249 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akane slowly made it down the steps and towards the dining room, grateful for the small miracle that at least it will be mostly empty tonight. Her father was spending the whole weekend with the Saotomes. Nabiki apparently had some business going on and wouldn’t be back until later in the week. Happosai was still off terrorizing and probably being beaten down by the women of Brazil. All she had to do now was deal with... 

“Hey Akane,” came the sound of a blur as her currently redheaded fiancé zipped past her towards his spot at the dining table. She was about to give a reply, but stopped. Something was off here that she couldn’t quite pinpoint. Sure, he was a girl at the moment, but that shouldn’t be unusual. After all, water managed to find him wherever he went and the number of freak rainstorms that have hit Nerima continued to baffle the local meteorologists. 

Still, something wasn’t quite right, Akane turned her head in confusion towards the bathroom that Ranma just dashed out of. As she sat at her own place at the table and looked back at her fiancé who was quickly wolfing down his meal, it finally hit her. He didn’t change back. The bathroom would have whatever hot water he needed, but he didn’t turn back into a boy. He stayed a girl. Why is he still a girl? What is he up to?

No, don’t jump to any conclusions yet. That’s what got you into trouble at the wedding. There might be a simple reason for this. Maybe the hot water is out in the bathroom. It’s happened before. Or maybe he was in such a rush to eat he forgot to change back. Food usually is his number one priority after all. Sometimes I swear he even forgets what form he's currently in. How do I bring it up though? If I just go and ask “why are you a girl?” he’ll probably just avoid the question and insult me like he usually does.

Luckily, Kasumi proved to be the eternal diplomat for these situations as she politely asked, “Ranma, would you like some hot water?”

Akane watched as her currently female fiancé momentarily froze, the chopsticks halfway to his mouth, something in his eyes she couldn’t quite put a name to. Ranma quickly looked up with a big smile that was much larger than the situation required and replied back. “No thanks, Kasumi. I’m fine. I don’t wanna bother you or nothing.”

Kasumi returned a smile almost as large and replied back. “Oh it’s no bother Ranma. I’m sure you want to turn back to a guy again after all.”

Once again, that look flashed in the redhead’s eyes before disappearing again. Was that...disappointment? 

“Nah, it’s okay. Um, I was...uh...going to take a bath tonight anyhow. So...uh...there’s no real point in getting wet right now.”

Kasumi gave another serene smile, satisfied with the answer. Akane, however, was nowhere near convinced.

Great, something is going on. Probably some ghost that wants a last date with a cute redhead before passing on. Or some super special technique that can only be taught to girls. Or a cure that he has to charm off of some guy. Does he really have to be doing it now? Can’t it at least wait? After everything that has happened, just let me have a break.  

Akane continued to sulk throughout dinner as she tried to figure out what exactly it was that her fiancé was up to.


What said fiancée was in fact currently up to was slowing down her eating to only slightly above human speed while trying to figure out the exchange with Kasumi and why it made her feel this way.

I don’t get it. Kasumi’s always doing stuff like that. She’s just trying to be nice. I mean, there’s no way she could have known. Heck, I didn’t even know an hour ago. So why does it bother me? Why does it...hurt?

I should really tell her. After all the nice things she’s done, she deserves to know. And well, with all that we’ve gone through, Akane does too.

Ranma let out a sigh, quite grateful that everyone else was gone as she felt the girls eating with her were the only ones who would react in some way positively, and she was probably just being hopeful in regards to Akane.

Regardless, she knew for certain that she’ll need to wait a while to give the news to the others. The parents she would rather just avoid all together. Nabiki would immediately find several ways to gain a profit from this, none of which would be good for the redhead’s health. Happosai would just try even harder to get her to model his “silky darlings” for him. Ranma suppressed a shudder at that. She may have finally admitted to herself that she liked being a girl, at least part of the time, but she still wasn’t a fan of frilly stuff. And no way in Hell would she ever wear anything offered by that old freak.

Well, they aren’t here now. It’s just Kasumi and Akane, so it’s the perfect time to tell them. Time to tell them. Tell them...tell them what exactly? What do I say? “Oh hey, by the way I’m a girl now, you know, when I’m not a guy”? I can just imagine Akane’s reaction. “Yeah, we can see that dummy!” I mean, I can at least admit now that I like being a girl. Is it as much that I like being a guy though? Is it more? Does that even matter? What’s the difference even? My guy form is taller and stronger; my girl form is smaller and faster. There’s more to it than just that, right? Mom and Pops sure think so, but should I go with that? Pops is an idiot and Mom, well, I still don’t know how to feel there. I do some things different when I’m a girl, but how much of that was acting and how much of that was really me? Guy Ranma and Girl Ranma…

The redhead’s mind wandered to an old English movie that Ms. Hinako had everyone watch and the book it was based on. The one about the scientist and the potion that made him...change. Even though something about the concept caught his attention (as he was a guy at that point), he still found it mostly boring and mostly skimmed over the novel, at least until he got to the end. The ending, with the journal from the scientist explaining everything, he ended up reading several times. Back then, he knew something about it was important, but wasn’t sure what it was. Now though…

Ranma’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of a bowl slamming down hard on the table. She turned her head towards her fiancée, finally noticing the look in the dark-haired girl’s eyes, and was suddenly reminded that they haven’t had a real conversation since the failed wedding. The pigtailed martial artist wanted to say something now, but all she managed to come up with was, “Are you okay, Akane?”

She watched as the girl paused before flashing a big smile and responded back, “Oh, I’m fine, Ranma.”

In the past, Ranma would have probably left well enough alone at this point, but after what they went through, after almost losing her, she doubted she’d be able to do that ever again. “Are you sure? I mean, if there’s something bugging you, I could always-”

“I said I’m fine! Don’t worry about it.”

Unsure of what to do otherwise, Ranma ended up falling back into old habits. “Whatever, it’s not like I'd actually care about an uncute tomboy like you.” She braced herself, ready for some semblance of a return to their normal interactions. 

Instead, she watched as Akane just stood up without looking back at her. “Thank you for the food Kasumi,” was all that was said before she silently left and went back up to her room.

The remaining two occupants of the house just looked at the doorway Akane left from for a couple of minutes in silence. Finally, Ranma turned to the eldest Tendo sister and asked, “Kasumi, what am I supposed to do?”

Kasumi for her part showed her own frustrations by letting out a small sigh. “I’m not really sure Ranma. I think right now all we can do is wait until she is ready and then offer whatever support we can.”

“I don’t think I can wait anymore though,” the redhead responded. Any thoughts of her own issues were immediately usurped by the desire to help the woman she lo...that she greatly cared for. “There has to be something I can do now!”

“I’m sorry Ranma, but with everything that has happened, I don’t think a fiancé is what Akane needs at this moment.”

Ranma’s mind was racing trying to think of what she could do, and kept arriving at the same conclusion. So I was right then. This is another thing he can’t do that she can.

“What if I don’t do it as a fiancé? What if I do it as a girl?”

Kasumi could only look over at the Saotome heir in confusion. “What do you mean Ranma?”

The red-haired girl closed her eyes and took a deep breath before sitting up straight and looking back at the other occupant of the room with determination. “Kasumi, there’s something important that I need to tell you.”

The other girl’s look of confusion slowly morphed into realization and surprise.

“Oh my!”


Akane managed to salvage her assignment from the remains of her desk and was now just staring at the broken pieces when she heard a knock at her door. Turning around, she simply yelled back, “Please go away!”

“Akane!” called out the soprano voice of her fiancé. “I just want to talk to you!”

“Go away! Leave me alone!” Akane yelled even more forcefully. 

A few moments of silence followed before Ranma responded again, much quieter this time. “Please Akane, just give me a few minutes. I want to help you.”

Knowing she wasn’t going to get anywhere this way, she went over and opened the door, starting down the person on the other side. “And how exactly are you going to do that, Ranma?” She asked with venom dripping from her words.

The redhead looked pensive and started scratching the back of his head at the base of his pigtail. “Um, well, are you doing anything tomorrow?”

Akane raised an eyebrow and continued to glare at her fiancé. “Why?”

Said fiancé paused for a moment, trying to find the right words. “Well, I mean it’s been a while since either of us has gone out of the house to just do stuff. Heck, when was the last time the two of us just hung out together?”

The short-haired girl spent some time thinking about this, but was having difficulties coming up with an answer. Finally, she replied back, “Um, I guess it was the last time that your mother took 'little Ranko' out on a shopping trip.”

Ranma looked lost in thought for a moment before quickly recovering. “Yeah, see? It’s been a while. I say we both go out, just the two of us, and have some fun! What do you think?”

Akane was pensive about this. A day out having fun did sound appealing, but…

“I don’t know, Ranma. After everything that’s happened recently...I know that my father said no more worrying about the engagement stuff for now, but still. I mean, the other fiancées are out of town, but what if someone from school sees us and starts spreading rumors. I’m not sure I can handle that right now.”

The redhead just gave a big smile at this. “No, you see, I got it all figured out. First, we both get out of Nerima for this. I’m thinking the Shibuya district might be a good place to go. That way, we won’t have to worry about running into anyone we know. Besides, I have the perfect solution to this.” His smile grew even wider as he proudly declared, “I’ll just go as a girl!”

At this, Akane blinked and gave the most coherent response she could give at the moment. “Huh?”

Ranma continued to grin back at her as he seemed to grow more excited with each word. “Yeah, see if I do that then we don’t have to worry about any romance or fiancé junk. It’ll just be two girls hanging out and having fun. Come on, I really think we both could use this. It’s a chance to forget about our problems for a day and just enjoy ourselves. What do you say?”

Akane continued to stare at the female form of the man she loved and tried to make sense of everything that just happened. Going out does sound like a good idea, and I guess if he goes as a girl we can avoid anything awkward. Wait, is this why he stayed a girl earlier? Was this what he was planning the whole time?

Quietly, the Tendo heir asked, “You’d really do that for me? You’d really stay a girl all day long?”

Something flashed in the redhead’s eyes. Not quite the same thing she saw before at dinner, but similar nonetheless. The look disappeared as he once again smiled at her, this time one of calm and serenity. “Of course Akane. I just want you to be happy.”

Even when he was a girl, that smile was simply too much for her and Akane knew at this point she had no choice but to give in. Flashing her own calm smile, she responded back, “Okay Ranma, I accept. Having a day out does sound like something we both need right now.”

She was almost blown back by the cheer given by her pigtailed fiancé. “Alright! Thanks Akane, you won’t regret this. I’ll make sure of it. We’ll work out the details tomorrow morning. This will be great, trust me. There’ll be nothing to worry about. It’ll just be two friends having a good time together.” 

With that, Ranma ran off. Akane was so lost in thought about what was just said, she failed to notice he didn’t go back to his own room.

Friends, huh? Even with all we've been through together, have I ever even tried to consider Ranma like that? I suppose he’s always just been my fiancé. That part of the forced engagement I never really wanted. Well, sometimes maybe, but a friend? I guess if he’s going to be a girl tomorrow, it would make sense we would go as friends. We couldn’t really be anything more than that, right? It’s still him though. Even with a female body, it’s still the man I love. Would I be able to reconcile the difference?

With a sigh, Akane closed her door and lay down on her bed, thoughts of a pigtailed martial artist dancing through her head. Only this time, it wasn’t of a black haired boy.

Maybe it would be easier if he really was a girl. Maybe it would be so much easier if he really was...her.

19