Chapter 11: (Girl)Friends
198 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akane found herself a bit conflicted on what to do next. On the one hand, this was certainly the most fun she could remember having with Ranma and a part of her wished the day would never end. On the other hand, she really couldn’t ignore that something’s been going on with the other girl since they left the hair salon. She hadn’t been able to pinpoint exactly what it was yet, but it was beginning to worry her. But they were supposed to just be having a good time together and forget about all their troubles. She already solved one crisis today. She shouldn’t have to deal with another one so soon.

“Hey, you okay Akane?”

Akane turned towards the deep blue eyes that looked back with concern. The worried look on that cute face framed by the gorgeous red hair. That adorable little pout on those lips.

Okay, so she had one other thing she didn’t want to deal with at the moment.

“Y...yeah, I’m doing great, girlfriend! How about you?”

“Oh, it’s amazing. I was able to find my Little Kitty again. Can’t believe I forgot all about him.” Ranma looked down into the shopping bag and finished in a much quieter voice, “I hate when I don’t remember stuff.”

An image of a panda-skin rug flashed through Akane’s mind before she reluctantly dismissed it. “Well, where do you want to go next? I’ll let you pick.”

Ranma looked up and noticed something over Akane’s shoulder which caused her to develop a huge grin. Akane turned to where Ranma was looking. “A photobooth?”

“Sure! You up for it?”

Akane gave a simple shrug. “Why not? We’ll get to capture your new look, and it won’t be nearly as much as my sister would charge.”

“Exactly! Come on, buddy!”

“Huh? What did you just s-hey!” Akane wasn’t able to finish as Ranma grabbed her hand and rushed over to the little photobooth that was situated in the middle of the mall walkway.

After getting inside and inserting the required amount, Akane was suddenly aware of how close she was sitting to the redhead as the first flash went off. She tried her best to ignore that and continued to focus straight ahead giving a little smile towards the camera. Suddenly, Ranma leaned over and bumped shoulders, nearly knocking Akane over as the next flash happened. “What was that for?!”

Ranma gave a little laugh. “Come on! This ain’t a class photo or nothin. Have some fun!”

“Oh fun huh? I see how it is.” Akane then body checked Ranma right back as the third picture was taken. The two started giggling and managed to get a pose in for the final photo, arms around each other’s shoulders, Akane flashing the peace sign, Ranma sticking her tongue out and pulling her eyelid down with her free hand.

Collecting the finished photos, they continued on their way, Akane holding the photo strip out and Ranma right next to her leaning in to get a closer look. The rush of the shopping crowd then made itself known as a couple of ambitious shoppers pushed their way through, knocking Ranma into Akane and nearly causing them both to tumble over. 

“Hey, watch where you’re going!” Akane called out behind her. She then turned back to Ranma. “Think we should teach those jerks a lesson, girlfriend? Hey, I bet there’s some sort of Martial Arts Mall Shopping we could use.”

Rather than the laugh she was expecting, a long sigh is what she got in return. “I don’t know Akane. Aren’t we trying to get away from all that junk today?”

“Hey, it was just a joke. I...um Ranma, you can stop leaning on me now.”

Instead of that, the redhead wrapped both of her arms around Akane’s left. “Um, could you start walking again?”

“R...Ranma, what are you…?”

“Oh, it’s nothing bad or anything. I just need to check something.”

Akane continued on, trying to hide the red in her face. What the heck am I doing? Everyone will stare at us and think that I’m some sort of pervert. There’s no way I’m like that! I’ve never even thought of any other girls like that before-

She turned to look at the girl holding onto her arm, but was thrown from her train of thought by the confused look on the redhead’s face. “What’s wrong?”

Ranma let out a sigh in frustration. “I don’t know. Do ya ever have a feeling where you’re sure you did something before, but ya don’t remember doing it?”

“I’m pretty sure that’s just called déjà vu, Ranma.”

“No, it’s not that. This feels real familiar, but I’m not sure why.”

“Well, with the number of fake dates you took Kuno on, I’m not surprised you would suppress a few memories.”

“Ew no, it’s not that either. I’m pretty sure it was a girl actually.”

Akane was about to give a rant about the other supposed fianceés, when a quick memory flashed through her mind. That of another red haired girl clinging onto her arm in a different shopping center. That Girl.

“Um...well...maybe...maybe it was your mother?”

“Huh?”

“Yeah, I mean when you were little you probably clung onto your mom all the time. I bet you were like a koala bear back then.”

“I...maybe.” Ranma tightened her grip on Akane’s arm and looked down at her feet. “Still don’t remember it.”

“Well...oh hey, check it out!” Akane quickly pointed to an ice cream kiosk to the side. “Maybe something sweet will help jog your memory.”

Ranma’s face instantly brightened up. “Oooo, I bet yer right. Be right back!” She released her grip and rushed off.

The youngest Tendo let out a deep breath and went over to lean against the wall. This is getting too close. Maybe...maybe it is just time to let her know. Later though. First I just have to get through-

“Oh, hey 'Kane!”

Akane turned to see the familiar figure of a girl her age rushing over, her dark brown ponytail swinging side to side. “Sayuri? Wh...what are you doing here?!”

Her classmate and friend gave a jovial laugh. “Oh, you know, getting a little shopping in before the weekend’s done. So are you by yourself today?”

“I...”

“I asked Yuka to join me, but she’s still super focused on that new Dragon Quest game right now.”

“Um…”

“Oh, believe me I know. I mean, she’s already beaten the thing, but now she wants to do it again with the other girl this time.”

“Wha-”

“Yeah, apparently there’s this whole romance thing in the latest one. You got two girls and you get to choose which of them to marry which I guess changes what happens in the game or something. Can you believe that?”

“Uh…”

“Oh right, that whole thing with Ranma! I got an invitation to that whole wedding thing, but I guess it didn’t turn out so well. Must be why you’re in Shibuya trying to get away from him.”

“Well…”

“Oh yeah, I haven’t been able to talk with you since you got kidnapped by those birds. Wild stuff, huh? So, how’ve you been?”

“Listen Sayuri, there’s something you should know. Ranma-”

Akane was interrupted by the sound of Ranma returning from the ice cream kiosk. “Hey, buddy! I got strawberry flavor for you. I hope that’s uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.”

Sayuri turned towards the shocked redhead. “Oh, 'Kane, did you make a new friend? She’s a real cutie, isn’t she? Hi there! My name’s Sayuri. What’s your…” Her bubbly demeanor dropped for a moment as she leaned in to get a closer look at the other girl’s face. “Ranma?”

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.”

Sayuri turned to Akane, then to Ranma, then back to Akane again. “So, did I happen to interrupt something between you two?”

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oh! It’s not what it looks like! I...um, I mean we…”

Akane quickly interjected, “Ranma wanted to cheer me up, so sh-I mean he decided to take me on a girls day out.”

Ranma gave a big grin and reached up to rub the back of her neck, before remembering she was still holding two cones. “Yup, just a couple of good friends having fun and not worrying bout anything else. Here’s your ice cream, buddy.”

Akane blinked a couple of times and took the offered cone. “Oh. Um, yeah. Thanks, uh, girlfriend.”

Sayuri looked between the two of them again and then clapped her hands together with a joyous expression on her face. “Oh, that’s so cool! Hey, I got some fashion shopping to do, but tomorrow I definitely want to hear all about-”

“You wanna join us?”

Two heads slowly turned towards Ranma, Sayuri with a look of intrigue and Akane with concern.

“Well, we’re about to do some clothes shopping ourselves. Right, Akane?”

“Y-yeah, right.”

“Yeah, and hey, the more the better, right? We can be three friends just hanging out having a good time together.”

Sayuri developed a mischievous look on her face. “Does that mean you’ll let me pick out a bunch of super cute outfits for you to try on?”

Ranma looked down deep in thought. “Hmmm, that sounds like a really girl thing to do.” She then looked up with a big grin. “Yeah, absolutely!”

Sayuri let out a quick squee in delight. “Oh, this is perfect! Okay, I need to get a quick bite to eat, but then, we go on a super awesome shopping adventure!”

“Yeah!”

“Wait.”

This time two heads turned towards Akane. “What time is it right now?” She asked with sudden concern.

Sayuri checked her stylish, rainbow colored wristwatch. “Okay, it’s 5:37 rrrrriiiiigggghhhhttttt………...now!”

“Oh, is it that late already? Yeah, sorry Sayuri. I’d love to hang out, but we should be heading home now.”

“Awww, do we really gotta, Akane?”

“Hey, Kasumi will be starting dinner soon. You don’t want her to go through all that work for nothing, do you?”

“Oh, that’s true.” Ranma looked down at her feet and started making circles on the ground with her toe. “Sorry Sayuri, it would have been fun, but I guess it had to end eventually.” She looked up at Akane and did her best to give a smile. “Hey, it was good while it lasted, right?”

“Oh, of course Ranma. It’s just...you know…”

Sayuri looked between the two and decided some quick intervention was necessary. “Hey you two, no need to stop the fun now. I’m sure Kasumi would understand for one night. I mean, how often do you get a chance to do this?”

“Can we Akane? I mean, you talked about us hanging out with your friends. This’ll be the best time to do it!”

Akane was a bit unsure, but then she saw the look in the redhead’s eyes. “I suppose I could call up Kasumi and let her know we’ll be late tonight.”

“Really? Oh, yer the best, Akane!” Ranma gave Akane a big hug, doing the best she could considering the bags and ice cream they were currently holding.”

“Uh hey, it’s no problem there, girlfriend,” Akane replied, desperately trying to hide the red in her face and the thoughts currently running through her mind.

After a few seconds, Ranma disengaged and turned to Sayuri. “Okay, so where do we go first, girl friend?”

Sayuri, staring at the scene in front of her, quickly snapped back to attention. “Right, well I was just about to get something to eat. Looks like you two decided to start with the dessert first though.”

“Hehe, oops.”

“Hey, it’s no big deal. We’re all big girls here. Oh sorry, Ranma. I didn’t-”

“Wait, is that true?” Ranma suddenly had an excited look on her face. “Girls are able to have dessert first?”

“Huh? Oh, what I meant was-”

“Oh, absolutely!” Akane quickly interrupted. “Just every once in a while of course, but it’s definitely a girl thing to do.”

Ranma’s eyes somehow managed to get even wider. “Really? Oh, that’s so cool! Um, here you go. I’ll be right back.” She handed her cone over to Sayuri and then dashed back over to the ice cream kiosk.

Sayuri looked down at the cone in her hand and then back over to Akane. “So I really did interrupt something then?”

Akane looked lost in thought for a moment before snapping back to attention. “Oh, Sayuri. Listen, I need your help with something. It’s very important, and we have to make sure Ranma doesn’t notice what’s going on.”

“Oooo, a secret mission? Sounds fun. So, what dastardly scheme are we doing?”

Akane took a deep breath and steadied herself. “Okay, it is very important that we get Ranma to like being a girl today so he doesn’t want to get rid of his...well...curse.”

“Oh! Wait, is that necessary?”

“Look, I know it sounds selfish of me, but I...I just can’t lose her.”

“No, I mean didn’t Ranma already do that anyway?”

“What?”

“Yeah, whenever he turns into a girl I noticed he never seems to actually be uncomfortable with it, despite his cute little fits of denial. And besides, I haven’t heard of any cure schemes going on in like forever now.”

“Oh right. You haven’t heard what happened at...at the wedding. Please, just promise you’ll help out with this, okay?”

“Hey, of course I will. What are friends for after all. Am I right?”

“Okay, I’m back.” Ranma skipped back up, carrying two large cones each with several scoops on them. “Wow, the girl at the stand was being super nice to me.”

All three turned to the kiosk. The vendor on duty, a mousy girl wearing glasses, looked back at them, blushed slightly and gave a little wave.”

Sayuri couldn’t help but give a wry grin. “Yeah, girl. I’m sure she was. Oh hey 'Kane, your ice cream is melting really fast there.”


The three quickly made their way to the food court. After finishing off their delicious confectionaries, Akane went and made a quick call to the Tendo house. Kasumi was very understanding of course, but made sure to remind her that it was still a school night so they shouldn’t stay out too late. 

Due to the early dessert they got to have, they decided to cut back a little on their fast food orders, Sayuri just getting a cheeseburger, Akane having the medium size nuggets, and Ranma only going with just one large triple burger meal. While they ate, Sayuri was regaled with the tale of what the other two have been up to throughout the day. She giggled like mad at their various antics, gushed over Ranma’s new hairstyle, and squee’d in delight at their new stuffed animals. Well, she did so for Akane’s little piglet at least.

“I think he’s starting into my soul.” Sayuri was holding the stuffed cat-adjacent creature at arms length. “So little guy, what do you think of Ranma’s new look? Huh? What’s wrong with it? Wait, what do tomatoes have to do with this?”

“Uh, ya okay there Sayuri?”

“What?” The ponytailed girl turned towards Ranma. “Oh yeah, it’s a really neat...um...thing you got here.”

Ranma gave a wide grin and took the stuffed animal back. “Yeah, Little Kitty is really awesome, isn’t he.”

“Oh, ‘Little Kitty’, huh? Is that what you called him back when you were...how old were you then?”

“Um, I was probably seven or eight, or maybe nine. I’m not sure.”

“Oh that’s easy. All you need to do is remember how many candles were on the cake on your previous birthday.”

“Actually, I didn’t have those.”

“Really? Your dad couldn’t even get a cake for you?”

“Nah, Pops would try to get cakes whenever he could. Sometimes I would even get a slice if I fought him for it good enough. No, I was talking about the birthday thing.”

“Wait, you mean you didn’t celebrate your birthday back then.”

“Yeah. He said worrying about things like that would make me weak and soft.”

“Oh, you know girl, that’s not-” Sayuri paused at the creaking sound coming from Akane’s side where she was gripping onto the table. “Um, hey I just remembered! Didn’t you say you had a gift you needed to buy for Akane? Why don’t I help you out with that?”

“Really? You’d help out with that? Oh, that’s great! I wanna make sure I get the perfect gift for my absolute bestie girl friend.”

Akane snapped out of her latest effort to make firewood. “Huh? What was that?”

Sayuri gave a small grin over to Akane. “I’m going to borrow your girlfriend for a bit so we can go buy you a little gift. We’ll meet back up in about 30 minutes or so, okay?”

“Oh, sure. I’ll be over at the bookstore then. Maybe I can find something on do-it-yourself taxidermy.” Akane got up and walked off.

Sayuri waited a few moments, before turning back to Ranma. “Okay girl, so what kind of gift did you have in mind?” she asked with excitement.

Ranma hesitated for a bit, before taking a deep breath. “Um, Sayuri. There’s kinda something important that you need to know first.”

“Oh, what is it?”

Ranma took a couple more deep breaths before looking straight into the other girl’s eyes with determination. “I’m a girl.”

“Uh, yes I know. I can see that.”

Ranma shook her head in frustration. “No! I don’t just mean the form I’m currently in. I mean completely, even in here,” she said as she tapped on her temple.

Sayuri gave a warm smile to Ranma. “Like I said, I know. It’s okay, Ranma. I believe you.”

“You...you do? And you’re not mad at me or nothin?”

“No, of course not. You’re a girl, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.”

“Oh.” Ranma let out a large sigh of relief. “Thanks, Sayuri.”

“No problem, girl. So, I take it you need some help with letting Akane know?”

“I just need to make sure she understands. I’m not a half-girl or a partial girl. I’m fully a girl.” Just as much as I’m fully a guy. Right?

Sayuri’s smile manifested into a full grin. “Oh don’t worry, girl. I’m sure it will turn out just fine.”

“What? How can you be so sure?”

“Uh, well, I mean it’s Akane, right? She’s been your fiancée for like forever now. I’m sure she’ll understand.”

“Oh, right. That’s the other thing. The engagement stuff.”

“What about it?”

“Well, Akane and me were kinda just forced together that first day we met. We didn’t really even get a choice about it. I think it’s really started to get to Akane now, especially after that whole wrecked wedding junk. I...I don’t...I don’t think she needs a fiancé at the moment. I think it’ll be better if I was just her girl friend. What do you think?”

Sayuri made note of the deliberate gap in the words that were used. “I guess that makes sense. Akane was never happy about that whole arrangement stupidity. Are you sure this is what you want to do though?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, if I was to be perfectly honest, I seriously doubt I could just be friends with the girl I love.”

“Hey! Who ever said I love that uncute tom-uh...what I mean is...that is...um…” Ranma looked away as her face turned bright crimson.

“It’s okay, Ranma. This is obviously major important for you, so I’ll support you the whole way.”

Ranma looked back with a gleam of hope in her eye. “You will?”

“Yeah, of course! That’s what friends are for after all. Alright, let’s go find that super awesome perfect gift for your girl...friend.”

15