Chapter 2 – Prologue PT2
39 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue PT2

The trapdoor led to a series of ladders and steps. The distance traveled wasn’t far. But I kept looking around in awe, delaying what would otherwise be a half-minute trip.

My grandpa was very patient. He watched on with a serene smile. Like an enlightened old man—I suppose he was an enlightened old man, though.

Eventually, much to my excitement, we’d finally reached the end.

Rows of shelves adorned the walls of this relatively spacious room. It was cold, but not as cold as outside. The constant freezing and snowing climate turned Norgia into a sub-zero hell. In comparison, this room felt relatively warm—like a cool basement.

Inside the shelves were colored… Slabs?

“Grandpa? What’s inside these shelves?”

“Books, Erling. Books.”

“Books? What are those?”

Grandpa takes a moment to formulate an answer. His finger ran along his scar as he pondered.

Knowledge”

Grandpa said as his eyes locked onto empty space for a brief moment.

“Knowledge???”

I’m even more confused! I’m a kid, for goodness sake! Use kid-level words, would you!?

“The answer, Erling. Any question you have, you can find the answer in books.”

“Really?! So, can it tell me why Norgia has never-ending snow?”

“Of course it can!”

With vigor, I grab one of the slabs from the shelf and open its contents. My eyes gleamed with unbridled joy and curiosity. However, that joy lasted as quickly as it came.

“... I’m not feeling any more ‘knowledge’…”

I nearly fell to my knees in disappointment. Inside were a bunch of incoherent scribbles of black ink. Am I being conned by Grandpa right now?

“Well, you gotta learn how to read first.”

Grandpa looked at me like it was a matter of fact.

“?”

“I’ll teach you.”

***

For the next five years, till I was twelve, my day consisted of waking up, getting ready and eating, training, playing with friends, learning and reading at Grandpa’s place, training again, bathing in the communal bath, playing or reading at grandpa’s place, and sleeping. Rinse, and repeat.

One day, I headed down to the library—Grandpa told me to call it that. Instead of “basement with books.” Grandpa was sitting on a rocking chair while smoking on a pipe. Nowadays, this is all he does.

“Hey, Grandpa!”

“Hm? Oh, it’s you, Erling. You’re here earlier than usual. What brings you here?”

“There’s been this question nagging me all day now... Why did you teach me how to read and write?”

“Why?”

For a second, Grandpa looked like he was at a loss for words.

“Yeah, why did you spend all the extra trouble to teach me? I mean, you could get in big trouble if someone finds this place!”

Once more, he pauses to think… He’s been doing that a lot lately. This year, he’ll be 82. It’s frankly a miracle he’s as mobile as he is.

Grandpa opens his mouth to speak. However, a louder, more booming voice overshadows his.

Erling?!! Erling?!! Where are you?!!

The fact we could hear it from down here means it’s either really loud or really close.

“Crap, I gotta go, they’ll find out about this place! Talk to you later, Grandpa!”

Grandpa doesn’t say anything. Only responding with a nod followed by a faint “Mmm” of acknowledgment

The next and last time I saw Grandpa, I buried my knife in his heart.

“Everybody! The enemy is on the horizon! Prepare yourselves!”

My daydream shatters as we fall into a roaring charge toward the enemy.

***

The sight was something to behold, like a raging cascade of bodies flowing downhill toward a dam of enemy human bodies.

As a Norgian Warrior, it was customary to leave our upper bodies exposed to the elements—or at least our right shoulders. The word is that this is so people can see your sigil. For Norgian warriors, sigils were our pride—hiding your sigil was considered a great dishonor.

I know very little about my enemy. I know they’re soldiers from the Hasian Empire. But what little information I have about them is dated and likely inaccurate, as I read it in a book from when I was 10

I know they’re an extremely wealthy country that amassed most of their riches via trade, and they have a monopoly on territory in fishing regions and trade routes.

I have no idea why they’d want to go to war with Norgia.

“Erling, follow me! I could use a capable fighter to help break their right-side vanguard!”

“Yes, sir!”

I followed Commander Torleif—the one with a wolf skin draped over his shoulder.

He clutched a battle axe in each hand, displaying his herculean strength.

The Hasian enemies were strategically placed on ledges; their crossbows pulled taut.

“Crescendo!”

Torleif’s booming voice rang through the air as he leapt 16 meters toward the enemy. He moved too quickly for the soldiers to react, and some didn’t even realize he jumped until they saw the dust plume.

He’d wiped out at least 8 Hasian soldiers on the left wing in one move!

“Erling!”

This was my cue.

I unhook a giant, diamond-shaped shield off my back. However, the design of said shield was peculiar. The tip of the shield had been fashioned into a blade.

“Gyahk–! Mei geren! Yong da futou sheji zhanshi!”

A soldier shouts incomprehensible garble as the rest point their crossbows at Torleif. Letting their arrows rain free. Not even Torleif would be able to dodge that volley unscathed.

As their arrows whizzed through the air, I quickly jumped in front of their path. Using my shield, I block every arrow that threatens to injure Torleif.

“Nicely done!”

Torleif shouts words of praise as he shoots past me. His dual great axes mince through the Hasian soldiers as gore rains through the air. His booming laughter could be heard, along with the Hasian soldier’s death cries. It’s hard to believe a 7’1 muscling giant could move so fast.

My idle spectating was quickly interrupted when I spotted armed soldiers approaching.

“Gongji ta!”

I breathe an annoyed sigh.

God… How persistent…”

Instantly, the blade end of my shield makes contact with the hoard of Hasian soldiers.

What came next was an utter blood bath. To say they never stood a chance was an understatement. My fists and shield cut, rip, and pummel them like rotten pumpkins. Their skulls cracked like ripe watermelons as their brain matter seeped out those cracks.

Not to be cocky. But if our army had a ranking system, I’d be in the top five under commander Torleif. For Norgian Warriors, only the strong deserve to be commander.

It felt dull… Each time my hand or shield sunk into a poor soldier’s skull, I sink deeper into the crevices of my own mind. The thought of battle never piqued my interest. But this insane feeling of monotony wasn’t helping… 

Before I knew it, my battle garb had been covered in blood and human tissue.

‘Aw, man, did I blank out?’

They say each life is extraordinary… In fact, as a kid, I used to believe that too… But now… Now, can I really say that?

[Chapter 2 END]

1