Chapter 6: Edgy Teenagers and Delirium
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was in water. It was cold. I couldn’t move. I just kept sinking, deeper and deeper. And there is… Oskar? Wait, Oskar?! There was duct tape over his mouth, muffling him, and duct tape over his hands and legs, keeping them behind his back and keeping him from moving. There he was, thrashing around in the water. I saw the panic in his eyes. He kept looking at me, like he was pleading me to do something. But I couldn’t. I couldn’t move. I was stuck. He was stuck too now because of me. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry Oskar. Oskar please, I’m so, so sorry.

I looked over, to find his body completely lifeless. He was dead. I killed him. I couldn’t save him.

There was this strange noise, coming from far away. It was… beeping? Just like Mama’s EKG machine.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

“Erik.”

“Erik.”

 

“Erik, your alarm’s ringing.”

“Erik you don’t look too good.”

“Erik?”

“Come on man, get up.”

 

 

“ERIK.”

I woke up with a jolt. Oskar was standing over me, shaking me awake.

“Hey. Good morning.” He said, looking relieved. What’s up with him always being so worried?

“Good morning.”

“You weren’t looking too good there.” He said, in a low voice. He looked at me softly, swallowed and said, “Nightmares happen often?”

Oh. Right.

“Kind of.”

“I’m here, if you want to talk about it.”

“There’s no need for it, thank you. They don’t really make sense most of the time. Didn’t this time either. They’re just weird, is all.”

“Alright then. Have a breather. I’ll make breakfast, don’t expect it to be too good.” He said, with a chuckle. “It’ll be a miracle if I don’t burn anything, so set your standards from there.”

“I’m not too good either, why’d you think I made ramen last night? And actually, we’re out of groceries. I’m going grocery shopping today, care to join?”

“Sure. Got a list or anything?” he asked. Wow. He makes lists?

“Uh, no, not really. I just get stuff I think I’ll need.”

“Yea well, I can’t really help you out with the shopping then. I should actually get my stuff from my place and move it in here. You okay with going on your own?”

“I don’t mind. Go ahead. Breakfast will be ready by the time you’re back.”

“Cool. If anything happens, or you need help with anything, let me know ok?”

“Uh huh.”

“Mind giving me your number?” he asked, getting his phone from his pocket. Wait, pocket? He was already dressed. He must’ve gotten up way earlier than I did.

I took his phone and added my number. He saved it as ‘Eric’.

“It’s Erik. With a K.”

He huffed and smiled at me in amusement.

“I’ll see later then.” He said, as he headed towards the door and left.

 

Now, I was alone. What was I going to do?

Right. Grocery shopping.

I got out of bed and headed towards the restroom to get ready for the day. Yet again, I had to take a shower. What would Oskar think if I didn’t? So, there I was, standing stiff as the cold water sprayed on my back, like bullets against the sensitive skin.

Right after I got ready for the day, I headed towards the nearest grocery store I could find. It felt extra cold today, considering my wet hair and damp skin. Nobody was outside, which was reasonable since it was freezing out here.

Rubbing my hands together, I stepped into the store, through the automatic doors. The nearest grocery store wasn’t very near. It was a good 1hour walk from the apartment building. There was nobody other than me and this kid in the store. He was smoking inside the store, which I’m pretty sure he wasn’t supposed to do. But who am I to judge? I wasn’t any better.
I grabbed a carton of eggs and two cold coffees from the refrigerator. This is enough for the week.

I got to the checkout and the kid began scanning. After he was done bagging my stuff, he looked at me and said,

“Go to the hospital mate.”

What?
I looked at myself: torso, legs and then felt my face. There wasn’t any blood or visible injury. What does he mean go to the hospital?

“What are you, anorexic?” he said.

Oh.

He really wants to do this right now?

Fine.

“I’m sorry, what did you just say?” I said, having a vague idea how this was about to go.

“Get some meat on your bones.”

“Get a real job.”

His eyes narrowed into slits, he glared at me and said,

“Maybe then you’ll get some friends. Every time I see you, you’re just roaming around like a creep. Loner.” he said, looking at me smugly.

“Maybe then you’ll get a life. And some common sense, considering this is what you’re arguing about.”

I threw the money on him, an extra 10 pounds and said,

“Keep the change. You look like you need it.” With a sneer on my face.

I snatched my bag and walked out of the store, head held up high. I definitely won that one.

As I walked back, I noticed a man standing awkwardly in the middle of the sidewalk, near no store in particular. He just stood there. Nothing else. All of a sudden, he turned back, almost as if he was slapped, looked at me and

“You… are the one.”

“YOU ARE THE ONE.”

“Rejoice!”

He kept saying ‘rejoice’ while looking up to the sky, in a rush of relief. He was crying tears of happiness. What the hell did he even mean? Was he homeless or something? Maybe he escaped out of some psych ward?

I saw Oskar’s land cruiser in the distance, approaching us. He rolled down the window and waved at me, but when he saw the man, he looked at me in confusion. He stopped his car when he reached me, got out and asked the man,

“Is everything alright sir?”

No response. Just ‘rejoice’ with tears of joy.

He looked at Oskar with wide eyes and started laughing hysterically. He looked… excited? He jumped up and down while laughing like a maniac and ran away, flailing his arms in the air.

“Who was that guy?” asked Oskar.

“I have no idea. He was just standing here.” I said, as I got inside the car.

“So, back home?”

“Mhm”

___________________________________________________________________

0