37. ODION – Veil of Sorrow
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN - ODION

Veil of Sorrow

Heavy sobs crowded the air as Toki’s casket lowered into the hole dug for him. Mrs. Fujikawa collapsed to the ground and started to bawl. The rest of her family gathered around her as she screamed.

“How could they take my precious baby away?” Her fair complexion was all shades of pink as she kept repeating it over and over again.

Toki’s sister hadn’t shed a tear all morning, but you could tell she wasn’t all there, the poor girl. All Eureka did was stare at the ground devoid of emotion: not a frown, a quiver of the lips, a twitch of the brow, nothing. Odion couldn’t remember if she’d even blinked once throughout the entire service. Serenity was standing next to her, doing whatever she could to console her, but it didn’t seem like Eureka even noticed she was there. I’m so sorry, Eureka. I promise you Apollo will pay for what he did. Odion walked up to the hole Toki’s casket was lowered into and dropped the white rose he held in his hand.

Seven days ago, they were inside the gymnasium, preparing for the dance. It was beyond baffling how, in such a short time, Toki was being laid to rest. Life was truly unpredictable. Despite whatever plans you made for yourself, no one knew what lurked around the corner. Farewell, my brother. I know we will meet again someday.

A heavy hand thumped against Odion’s right shoulder, spinning him around. “It’s so good to see you here,” Salamar said, his nose red. He removed the black shades he wore and dabbed at his eyes with the tissue in his hand.

Wish I could say the same for you. “Yeah …” Odion forced the words out of his mouth.

“Bro, I can’t believe he’s really gone,” Salamar said. “It was just last week I was ribbing him about his date for the dance, and now …” he paused to catch his breath, “he’s gone.”

Odion quirked his lip. Why couldn’t this bozo leave him alone?

“It pains me to see them all like this,” Serenity approached them from behind, in-between sobbing breaths. She adjusted the handbag resting over her shoulder.

Salamar reached out and pulled Serenity in for an embrace. Odion twisted his mouth and walked away from the two of them. He didn’t need to be around that at a time like this. Watching them that close to each other would only raise his blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Grieving the loss of his best friend was bad enough. Odion didn’t need to grieve the relationship Serenity had with Salamar simultaneously.

“I’m so sorry, Eureka.” Odion walked up and embraced her into his arms as she stood alone underneath a tree. “If there’s anything you need, just let me know,” he whispered into her ear before breaking away from her. Eureka stared into the distance, feet together, hands folded in front of her. Odion looked at her to see if she was breathing because she was as still as a statue. God, I only hope she and her mother will be okay. Odion kissed her on the forehead before walking away, sucking in his lips to fight off the tears.

At the corner of his eye, he spotted Yasmina walking back to her car with a woman who looked too young to be her mother. It could’ve been her sister; he wasn’t sure.

“Hey, Yasmina?” Odion waved, catching up to her.

“Hi, Odion,” she replied with a squeak in her voice. She, too, looked like she’d been crying heavily, judging by how red and puffy her eyes were.

He extended his arms for an embrace. “I’m glad you came,” Odion said, breaking away from her. Yasmina nodded and broke down once again, falling back into his arms. “I know it hurts.” He rubbed her back. “But we gotta stay strong. That’s what Toki would’ve wanted.” Odion broke away once more and looked Yasmina deep into her eyes. “Stay strong,” he said before she waved her goodbyes and rejoined the woman she came with.

“I thought you left me for a minute,” Serenity said from behind. Her mascara was runny around her eyes.

“I need to get outta here.”

“What’s the rush?” Serenity asked.

“I gotta find where Apollo’s hiding. I can’t allow this to go on any longer. Not after today.”

Odion headed for the exit until her arm halted him. “Aren’t you attending the dinner service?” Serenity’s pink nostrils flared.

“You see that?” Odion motioned his head toward Mrs. Fujikawa. “That’s a mother devastated with grief, and Apollo’s the one responsible—”

“You keep saying the same thing over and over.” Serenity rolled her eyes. “Are you going to the dinner service or not?”

Odion gave a single shake of the head. “I ain’t got no appetite. I’m gonna find that nigga and kill him.”

“Do you really think that’s what Toki would’ve wanted you to do?” Serenity looked at him as if he were making a grave mistake.

I think it’s time you start doing what’s best for you. Serenity’s question triggered some of the last words Toki had said to him while they were setting up inside the gymnasium. “Toki would’ve wanted me to do what I felt was the right.”

Serenity peered into his eyes, her expression hard to read. She may have been trying to think of something to convince him otherwise, but the attempt was futile. Odion had already made up his mind.

“I don’t understand why you won’t just let the police do their job,” Serenity said.

Odion screwed up his face. “Fuck the police!” he said through clenched teeth. “They sure did a great job with that bank robber up in BC, ain’t it?”

“Oh, so you think killing Apollo is going to bring Toki back?” Water started to develop in her eyes. “The police have way more resources than you. Just let them do their job. For once in your life, just once,” she held out a finger, “leave your ego and pride at the door.” Serenity motioned her head toward Toki’s family. “Think of all the people you’d be hurting if something tragic happens to you. How would your foster-mother feel?”

“I don’t got anybody.” Odion’s heart galloped. “Marcella might not even live to see tomorrow! All the people I give a fuck about are either dead, about to die, or afraid of me.” He pierced a dark look into her eyes.

“You and I both know that isn’t true,” Serenity said.

“You’re gonna stand there and talk to me about what is or isn’t true?” Odion was taken aback by her comment. “Aren’t you the same one who told me you weren’t sure if the truth even existed anymore?”

“Actually, if you were paying attention, you would’ve realized I was talking about trust and not the truth,” she said. Odion opened his mouth to speak but was cut short. “Look, I’m not in the frame of mind to argue with you right now.” Serenity loosened the handles of her handbag to a notification jingle coming from her iPhone. Someone must’ve sent her a text. She reached inside and pulled it out, thumbing through it. “Oh my god!” she said, eyes wide with either horror or surprise. Odion hoped for the latter.

“What is it?” A nervous chill traveled throughout his body.

“Yuricema got a call from Dr. Lamora.”

This had better be good news! Odion took a hard swallow, heart sprinting in his chest. “And?”

Serenity scrolled through her iPhone, her lips moving silently as she read Yuricema’s message. A smile parted her lips as she looked at Odion. “Your mom’s awake!” Another notification jingled from her iPhone. Serenity’s smile quickly faded as she read the message. “She also said the police were at the hospital, and they’d like to have a word with you at the station as soon as possible.”

Odion’s head and shoulders dropped to the ground. His mood shrunk similarly to how a balloon did when the air was slowly released from the lip. Just when he thought progress was being made, life turned and threw another thunderbolt in his direction.

When was this nightmare going to end?

 

If you liked this chapter, please rate it and comment below! It'd mean a lot!

0