Chapter 53
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So how can a great person like me begin to design something that can fake a mana signature?

First, I should probably begin by researching how mana signatures or imprinted mana in general functions.

I head out of the artificing part of the library and go into the mana theory section.

I start looking over some books on that topic, and I find a bunch of unknown mana terms, which is always lovely. Even so, I still try to understand what's going on, and I think I got the basics down.

When someone tries to push out imprinted mana, the soul first removes the imprinted element from said imprinted mana, releasing normal, natural mana and keeping the imprinted element. But nothing is completely efficient in the world, so when the soul detaches the imprinted element from the imprinted mana, the inefficiencies of wasted energy turn into light, and depending on the type of imprinted element you boast, the light can vary in color. In rare cases, some people show no color; it isn’t known why in this world, but I’m pretty sure it’s because the realized energy turns into a form of radiation that isn’t in the visible spectrum.

Of course, the light created by the inefficiencies of the soul is barely noticeable with the undyed eye. So the mana signature test was created. What it does is merely take in the color radiated out of the sole and amplify it.

So how would my humble self fool such a process? I know that the process is done by placing one's hand onto the device and pushing out mana from the breaches located on an average mage's fingers.

So I need to make some sort of gadget that will emulate pushing out mana from Ustosis's soul. Although, now that I think of it, if the test merely amplifies the color that someone will emanate, what stops me from merely shining a light tinted to Ustosis's color at it.

Hmm, actually now that I think of it, the designs of the signature test should be in the artificing section of the library.

I start looking through some books, and I actually find a couple of designs. I can't understand most of it, but there is some helpful text next to some segments of the plan, and to my great annoyance and disappointment, one of the segments of the text says: "on fiscal contact checks distribution in the mana field around wea the Camden principal."

Damn you, Camden, whoever the hell you are.

Sigh, whatever, I suppose I should get to brainstorming.

Unfortunately, the moment I decide this, a library worker approaches me.

“It is closing time; please leave the premises.”, Huh, time really passed by.

Begrudgingly, I leave the premises and head back to my dorm. Ustos seems to be sleeping, so I don’t bother with the walking exercises for today; I merely head straight to bed.

The next day, heading out of the artificing class, I stand at the entrance of the academy and wait for Keswick. The annoying bugger made me promise to start waiting for her after classes so we could walk back together as if she doesn't spend enough time assaulting my ears during the lessons.

After a while of just standing there and being side-eyed by a bunch of nobles heading out of the main building, Keswick finally shows herself.

“Hey, Jeld, miss me?!” I put on a slightly deadpan face and say “It’s been one hour.”

“Yeah, whatever, so how’s artificing treating you?”

“It’s very interesting; the teacher even showed us an example yesterday, what about you, hows alchemy going?”

“It’s been kind of boring; our instructor is just listing a bunch of resources and forcing us to memorize.”

“So, are you free for today?” she asks.

“No, the artificing teacher gave us a bunch to memorize for tomorrow; I’ll be stuck on it all day.”

She frowns a little “That’s what you always say; you stay cupped up in your dorm all day. What’s so interesting about that place anyway? Can I see?”.

“I don’t just stay cupped up in my dorm; I go to the library to research too.”.

“But you're always researching; can't you take a break to hang out?”.

“It is my duty as the future head mage of the Ustos family to study hard and respect the investment put in by the family head.”.

The grating conversation continues on for the entire track back to the dorms; in the end, Keswick wins the verbal dispute and appoints a meeting between us, wasting valuable potential time.

I say goodbye to Keswick with a forced smile and head to the library.

First, I finish up my homework and get back to thinking about how I will make a gadget that will fool a mana signature test.

1