Chapter 21 – Daylight’s Branding Turmoil
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boom!

Dirt and roots scattered as Sorah, Rice Guru, and Woodworm erupted from the subterranean darkness, tumbling onto the sun-kissed grassy slopes of a hidden ravine. With a victorious snort, the Gepporaptor—their improbable saviour—scampered out first, dusting off dirt clumps.

“Grah! Grah!” It nudged against the Rice Guru affectionately.  Its normally ferocious demeanour seemed replaced by a disarming docility.

"Well done, my furry friend," the Rice Guru chuckled as he patted the Gepporaptor's head. "Although against your will. You have saved us from a most unpleasant fate."

With a flick of his wrist, he dispelled the enchantment with a muttered incantation, "Boqumu #29 - Anima Bestia, release!"

“Grah?” With a blink, the Gepporaptor shook its head, seemingly waking up from a dream. Its eyes returned to their original wild glitter, and it growled in shock before sinking back into the ground and disappearing just as quickly as it had emerged.

Sorah, still catching his breath, shielded his eyes from the sudden glare of daylight. "By the winds, it's good to see the sun again," he muttered, feeling the warmth on his face. He stretched his stiff limbs, wincing as his old injuries protested.

He couldn't help but reflect on the harrowing events of the past few hours. Stepping out of the Cloud Portal into the Terravolt Kingdom had been a leap of faith, and so far, it had been a series of near-death experiences and unexpected encounters.

Glancing upwards, Sorah's gaze was drawn to the swirling mass of wind high above - the colossal Wind Barrier erected by the Sky Wardens. It was a glistening reminder of their might, a dome that kept the Aerithra Kingdom safe from more attack.

"Look, Master Sorah!" The Rice Guru pointed skyward with a trembling leafy finger. "Those blasted Sand Devils and Pyro Warriors are still trying to break through!"

Sorah squinted, observing the distant flashes of light and plumes of smoke erupting against the underbelly of the barrier. "Fools," he muttered. "Do they truly believe they can overcome the combined might of the Sky Wardens?"

He had faith in the Sky Wardens' power. If they wished, they could unleash a full-scale assault on the Terravolt and Ignis Kingdoms, but they chose to defend instead, to protect their people and their way of life.

As Sorah and Rice Guru gazed skyward, Woodworm, now back to its usual sluggish form, inched closer, nudging against Sorah's leg and pointing with its antennae towards a cluster of structures in the distance.

“Kyuu! Kyu!”

"Hmm?" Sorah followed Woodworm's gaze and spotted a small settlement nestled amidst the rolling hills. It was comprised of simple wooden and earthen structures, rudimentary at best. There were no towering walls or defensive fortifications, just a collection of humble dwellings clustered together.

"A village," Sorah observed, feeling a flicker of hope. "Perhaps we can find refuge there, gather information, and resupply before continuing on."

He considered approaching the village openly, but caution prevailed. "On second thought, Rice Guru, it might be best if I scout ahead first. Ensure there are no threats lurking within."

The Rice Guru nodded, patting Woodworm's head. "A wise precaution, Master Sorah. We shall remain here and await your return."

“Ok, I’m off.”

Sorah, drawing upon his newfound ZenFlow Kana, moved silently towards the settlement. As he neared the outskirts, a sense of unease washed over him. He could hear raised voices, shouts of anger and fear. The village was clearly in disarray.

He crept closer, concealing himself behind a weathered store post, and peered into the village. What he saw sent a chill down his spine. Sand Devils and Pyro Warriors, clad in their distinctive armour, were rampaging through the settlement, shoving and harassing the villagers. Their faces contorted with cruelty and contempt, they were behaving like ferocious conquerors.

"Where are they hiding?" a Sand Devil barked while shoving an elderly woman to the ground. "We know you're harbouring Aerithran scum!"

"We have no knowledge of such things!" the woman cried. "Please, leave us in peace!"

"Silence, old hag!" another soldier snarled. "You will tell us what we want to know, or suffer the consequences!"

With their Aether Sabres drawn and blazing with power, the soldiers continued their vicious interrogation, and Sorah stared in dread. He could feel the fear and hopelessness of the villagers  as they endured the brutality of the soldiers.

A large Sand Devil with a growling mask covering his face yelled, "Gather everyone in the square! The Dune Directorate has decreed a new law!"

With their limbs trembling and their eyes downcast, the terrified villagers shuffled into a makeshift formation. A young mother held her infant close to protect him from the soldiers' stern looks. An elderly guy, with a face worn with anxiety and resignation, leaned heavily on his cane.

The soldier continued, "By order of the Sand Sovereign and the Stone Steward, all citizens of the Terravolt Kingdom shall undergo mandatory elemental affinity identification and branding! This is to ensure the safety and security of our realm against Aerithran infiltrators and sympathizers!"

Sorah's blood ran cold as he listened to the soldier's proclamation. Branding? What kind of barbaric practice was this? He peered closer, trying to discern what was happening.

Two Pyro Warriors wheeled a strange contraption into the square. It resembled a large metal box with tubes and wires protruding from its sides, emanating a faint hum of energy. A single lens, glowing with an ominous red light was aimed at the assembled villagers.

"This device, the Elemental Imprinter" the soldier explained with a sadistic grin, "Will scan your very essence, revealing your elemental affinity. Those with air affinity or any connection to the Aerithra Kingdom will be marked accordingly!"

He gestured towards a group of soldiers holding branding irons infused with arcane energy which caused their tips to glow with an intense white heat. The irons’ tip were shaped like various elemental symbols – a flickering flame for fire affinity, a swirling wave for water, a jagged rock for earth, a stylized cloud with a single teardrop falling from its centre for air affinity, and the symbol for Aether affinity was a swirling nebula.

“Commence the branding!”

Sorah's heart pounded as he watched the soldiers begin their brutal work. Villagers were dragged forward, forced to stand before the scanning device. The red lens swept over their bodies, and with a loud beep, their affinity was revealed.

"Earth affinity!" a soldier barked, pressing the glowing earth symbol iron against the forehead of a young man.

“Ahhh! It burns!” The man screamed in agony as the searing iron burned into his flesh, leaving behind a permanent ethereal mark that would forever identify him as a citizen of the Terravolt Kingdom.

“Next!”

Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Water affinity!" another soldier declared, branding a middle-aged woman with the wave symbol. Tears streamed down her face as she endured the excruciating pain, the smell of burning flesh was also strong.

“This is inhumane.” Sorah felt a surge of anger and disgust. This wasn't just identification; it was a blatant act of oppression, a way to control and subjugate the people under the pretence of safeguarding their realm from Aerithrans. He had to do something, but what? He was outnumbered and among the Sand Devils and Pyro Warriors, he had no idea who had Vice-Marshall Commander level strength or higher, and any direct intervention would only result in his capture, or worse.

As he contemplated his options, a young girl was dragged forward who was terrified. The scanning device beeped, and a soldier announced, "Air affinity!"

Boom!

All of a sudden, every soldiers’ eyes were drawn to this little girl.

“Where is her parents? Bring them to the front  also!”

"Mom! Mommy!" Her cries resounded throughout the square as the girl fought against the soldiers' hold.

Sorah couldn't bear to watch as they prepared to brand her with the cloud symbol. He had to act, consequences be damned.

“Prepare the iron!”

"Stop!" Sorah's voice boomed across the square, silencing the soldiers and villagers alike. He stepped out from behind the store post with his staff held firmly in his hand. The amber glyphs along its shaft pulsed with a faint glow as he channelled the Sage Curse's energy.

With surprise and rage in their eyes, the troops pivoted to face him. "Who dares interfere with the Dune Directorate's decree?" A single one growled.

"I do," Sorah answered unwaveringly despite the shiver of panic coursing through his body. "Stop this barbaric practice right now!" Raising his staff, he was ready to unleash the power within.

Sensing a threat, the troops clenched their Aether Sabres and arrayed themselves around him.

 

Thanks for the Likes and Ratings and Support!
https://www.patreon.com/AuthorsDread

 

0