Chapter 29 – Seeing Wind
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Skeletal shadows slowly crept across the Nathor Prison Camp's ironclad moonlit exterior. Two guards patrolled the perimeter, their footsteps crunching rhythmically on the gravel path that lined the towering walls. The night was still, the air thick with the scent of dust and despair.

"Brrr," one guard shivered, pulling his cloak tighter against the unexpected chill. "I hate these graveyard shifts. Nothing ever happens."

His companion grunted in agreement while sweeping his gaze across the barren landscape that stretched out beyond the prison walls. "Just us and the wind," he muttered.

Swish—

Suddenly, the first guard stopped, instinctively reaching for the hilt of his deactivated Aether Sabre. "Did you hear that?" he whispered apprehensively.

"Hear what?" the other guard frowned, straining his ears.

"I... I thought I heard something," the first guard stammered, glancing around nervously. "Like... like whispering."

The second guard scoffed. "Whispering? You've been out here too long, Jarek. It's just the wind playing tricks on you."

“Are you sure…?”

Jarek hesitated, unsure of himself. He scanned the darkness, searching for any sign of movement, any indication that his senses weren't deceiving him. But there was nothing, only the endless expanse of desert and the distant, flickering lights of the prison towers.

"Come on," the second guard urged, clapping Jarek on the shoulder. "Let's finish our rounds and get back inside. I could use a cup of that hot, spiced wine they serve in the mess hall."

“Oh, ok.” Jarek nodded reluctantly with his gaze lingering on the shadows for a moment longer before resuming his patrol. A faint sense of unease gnawed at him, a feeling that something was amiss. He couldn't shake the feeling that they weren't alone, that unseen eyes were watching their every move.

***

High above, in the opulent guest quarters atop Sector E, Duke Theodore of the Imperial Court lounged on a plush divan with a look of disdain on his aristocratic features. He plucked a juicy grape from a silver platter and popped it into his mouth, savouring the sweetness as he soaked his tired feet in a bucket of warm water.

"Ugh, this place is a barbaric wasteland," he grumbled, glancing around the lavishly decorated chamber with distaste. "I should have insisted on aerial transport. This overland journey has been an utter nightmare."

His two Imperial Guard escorts who had their faces concealed by mirrored visors, stood silently by the window, watching the moonlit landscape outside. They had heard the Duke's complaints countless times throughout the journey, and they had learned to ignore them.

"I cannot wait to leave this dustbowl," Duke Theodore continued, swirling the water in the bucket with his toes. "The sooner I deliver these air affinity prisoners to the Capital, the better. The Dune Directorate will be most pleased with my... acquisition."

He chuckled, a cold, humourless sound that echoed through the chamber. "I can already envision the rewards that await me. Perhaps a promotion, a new estate... or maybe even a seat on the esteemed Council of Five."

A sly smile crept across his lips as he envisioned himself wielding even greater power and influence within the Dune Empire. He would rise to the top, no matter the cost.

***

Just down the hall, in her private chambers, Warden Poahf paced back and forth like a caged tigress, blazing with fury. She had spent the entire day catering to Duke Theodore's every whim, enduring his arrogance and insults with a forced smile and a simmering rage that threatened to boil over.

'That pompous ass,' she thought, clenching her fists. 'He thinks he can waltz in here and usurp my authority? He thinks he can snatch away my prisoners and claim all the glory for himself? I will not allow it.'

She stopped before a large, richly carved wardrobe and flung open the doors, revealing a collection of fine garments and accessories. She rummaged through the contents, tossing aside silk robes and jewel-encrusted hairpins until she located a small, velvet-lined box tucked away in the corner.

"I've found it," she whispered with a triumphant smile spreading across her lips. "With this, I might be able to... disappoint the Duke's wishes."

She opened the box, revealing a beautifully crafted bronze talisman that pulsed with a faint, ethereal glow. It was an ancient artifact, passed down through generations of her family, a symbol of power and protection.

"This talisman," she murmured, tracing the intricate patterns carved into its surface. "It holds the key to unlocking my true potential and cementing my status in the empire."

Poahf had always sensed a hidden power within her, a connection to the elements that extended beyond her TerraFlow Kana abilities. The talisman, she believed, was the key to awakening that power, to unleashing her full potential.

She held the talisman close to her chest, feeling its warmth against her skin. A surge of determination coursed through her. She would not allow Duke Theodore or anyone else to undermine her authority. She would rise above this challenge and prove herself to be the true ruler of Nathor Prison Camp.

***

Swish—

A gentle breeze stirred within the depths of Nathor Prison Camp, weaving its way through the labyrinthine corridors and dank cell blocks. It carried with it the faint scent of freedom, of open skies and endless horizons, a whisper of hope amidst the oppressive darkness.

The wind danced through the bars of Sorah's cell, brushing against his skin like a caress. He inhaled deeply, drawing the cool air into his lungs, and felt a surge of vitality coursing through his weary body. Moments later, the Ethereum Handguards that had shackled his wrists and suppressed his Aether Steam were gone, shattered by the ethereal wind that flowed through him.

Clang!

Sorah's eyes remained closed, but his awareness expanded outwards, extending far beyond the confines of his cell. He could sense the presence of the other prisoners, their fear and despair, their flickering hopes and dreams. He could hear the guards' heavy footsteps as they patrolled the corridors, their gruff voices and casual cruelty echoing through the stillness of the night.

He saw the flickering lamplight in the mess hall, where a group of guards were gathered around a table, laughing and joking as they devoured their evening meal. He could smell the aroma of roast meat and spiced wine, opposite to the rancid gruel that he and the other prisoners had been forced to consume.

Sorah's awareness expanded even further, encompassing the entire prison camp. He saw the towering walls, the watchtowers, the heavily armed guards, and the sprawling network of cell blocks that housed thousands of prisoners. He could feel the despair that permeated the very stones of this place, the weight of countless shattered lives and broken dreams.

This was "Wind Sight," an intermediate Aeromancy technique that allowed the user to perceive the flow of air currents and the subtle energies that permeated their surroundings. It was a skill that required both a deep understanding of the air affinity and a refined control over one's Aether Steam.

Sorah had never attempted this technique before, but his years of studying ancient texts and scrolls had equipped him with a vast knowledge of various elemental techniques, including those outside his own affinity. He had always possessed a thirst for knowledge, a desire to understand the intricacies of the world around him. He would spend countless hours poring over ancient texts and scrolls, deciphering the cryptic symbols of Cloud Script and the complex diagrams of elemental manipulation.

The elders of Cloud Hamlet, including the esteemed Elder Liu, had often scoffed at Sorah's scholarly pursuits, dismissing him as a bookworm with no practical skills.

"What good are books when you can't even summon a simple gust of wind?" they would jeer.

But Sorah had persisted, driven by an innate curiosity and a belief that knowledge was power, regardless of one's elemental affinity. And now, as he delved deeper into the secrets of Wind Sight, he realized the truth of his convictions.

His years of study had laid the foundation for this newfound ability, allowing him to grasp the technique's principles with astonishing speed. The Zephyrswept Waltz had awakened his connection to the air affinity, and the Sage Curse, with its potent, transformative energies, had amplified his potential.

Sorah's awareness, guided by the currents of wind, swept through the prison camp. He meticulously catalogued every detail - the layout of the cell blocks, the positions of the guards, the generator storehouse, the location of the armoury and the control centre. He saw the prisoners in their cells, some pacing restlessly, others huddled in despair, and a few engaged in hushed conversations or solitary meditations.

He saw the guards in the mess hall, their laughter and camaraderie were expressed in ways contrast to the cruelty they displayed towards the prisoners. He saw the flickering lights in the watchtowers, the cold, watchful eyes of the archers scanning the perimeter for any sign of trouble.

And then, in the opulent guest quarters atop Sector E, he sensed a different kind of energy - a presence that radiated arrogance and power, a darkness that chilled him to his core. This was Duke Theodore, the Imperial envoy, whose arrival had thrown the prison into a state of heightened alert.

Sorah cautiously extended his awareness towards the Duke's chambers, careful not to attract the attention of the two powerful Imperial Guards who stood watch outside the door. He could sense their potent auras, and their mastery over TerraFlow Kana.

He caught a glimpse of the Duke lounging on a divan, surrounded by luxury and opulence, his face contorted with a mixture of boredom and disdain. He could hear the Duke's voice, dripping with condescension as he addressed Warden Poahf, who stood before him with a forced smile and a simmering rage that threatened to boil over.

Sorah withdrew his awareness after feeling a cold sweat beading on his forehead. Probing the Duke's chambers had been risky, but he had learned valuable information. He now knew the identity of the high-ranking official who had come to claim the air affinity prisoners, and he had a better understanding of the political forces at play within the Dune Empire.

Whoooosh—

He exhaled slowly, feeling the strain of maintaining Wind Sight for such an extended period. His ZenFlow Kana reserves were depleted, and the Sage Curse's burning had intensified, a warning that he was pushing his limits.

'I must act swiftly,' he thought, 'Before the curse consumes me entirely and alert the guards.'

With a surge of willpower, Sorah began formulating his escape plan. He would liberate his student Daichi, the Aerithran prisoners, and Elara and the other villagers. As for the rest, he had seen enough during his Wind Sight explorations to know that many deserved their incarceration. He would not unleash hardened criminals and murderers upon the world.

Thud—

He rose to his feet, his movements silent and fluid. His ZenFlow Kana, replenished by the brief respite, flowed through him, guiding his every step. With a whisper of wind, he activated a subtle Aeromancy technique - Zephyr Dash.

Swish—

His form shimmered and blurred, becoming one with the air currents that swirled within the cell. He passed through the bars as if they were mere illusions, his presence undetectable to the guards who patrolled the corridor outside.

Whoosh!

A gust of wind swept through the hallway, ruffling the guards' hair and cloaks.

"Huh? The wind's picking up," one guard muttered, glancing around suspiciously. "I hate these drafty old corridors."

He continued his patrol, unaware that Sorah had just slipped past him like a phantom and also took something precious away from him.

A few meters down the hall, Sorah arrived at the door to the holding cell where Daichi was imprisoned. The door was slightly ajar and a key dangling from the lock. Sorah slipped through the opening, moving light a whisper.

Daichi, who was sitting on the floor with his back against the wall, looked up in surprise as a gust of wind ruffled his hair. He blinked, wondering how the door had opened. Had the guard had a change of heart and was letting him early?

“Hey-”

Before he could speak further, a hand clamped over his mouth, silencing his gasp of surprise.

"Quiet, Daichi," a familiar voice whispered in his ear. "It's me, Master Sorah."

"Master Sorah?" Daichi's eyes widened in disbelief. "But... how? How did you find me...?"

Sorah chuckled softly. "There's no time for explanations now. We must leave this place."

He scooped Daichi up in his arms and, with another Zephyr Dash, vanished from the cell, leaving behind only a faint whisper of wind.

“Hmm?”

Outside, the guard turned towards the holding cell, a frown creasing his brow as he felt a sudden chill. He glanced at the door, ensuring it was still locked, then shrugged and continued his patrol, unaware of the daring escape that had just transpired under his very nose.

Sorah reappeared within a dusty storage closet in Sector D, Daichi still clutched in his arms. He set the boy down gently, taking in his student's dishevelled appearance and the air affinity brand that marred his forehead.

"Master Sorah, is it really you?" Daichi asked, trembling with a mixture of awe and disbelief. "But... how did you survive the invasion? And how did you find me all the way here?"

Sorah smiled faintly. "It's a long story, Daichi. But for now, know that I'm here to rescue you. And we must leave this place before they discover our absence."

He glanced around the closet, noting the stacks of crates and barrels, the cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, and a faded map of the prison camp pinned to the wall.

"Tell me, Daichi," Sorah asked, taking on a serious tone. "What happened to the others? Where are Mari, Meili, and Akara?"

Daichi's face fell, and he looked down at his feet. "They... they were separated from us during the transport," he mumbled. "I... I don't know where they took them."

"Think, Daichi," Sorah urged, placing a hand on his student's shoulder. "Did you hear anything? Any mention of where they might be held?"

Daichi racked his brain, trying to recall any snippets of conversation he'd overheard during their capture and imprisonment. "I... I think I heard one of the guards mention... something about a... a 'pleasure house'? Or maybe it was a 'counting house'? I... I can't remember."

Sorah frowned, pondering the possibilities. A pleasure house? That didn't sound like a place where prisoners would be held. A counting house? Perhaps a place where they tallied resources or kept records.

"It doesn't matter," he said, dismissing the thought for now. "We'll find them, Daichi. I promise."

He inhaled deeply and re-viewed the mental map of the prison he had created earlier. "We need to figure out a way to free the other Aerithran prisoners who are being held at Sector B. From there, we can find a way to escape this prison."

Daichi nodded, a flicker of resolve returning to his eyes. "I'm with you, Master Sorah," he said, standing tall and clenching his fists. "Let's get out of this hellhole."

And so, with renewed purpose, Sorah and Daichi – master and disciple, began stirring their mental juices, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

 

Thanks for the Likes and Ratings.

Follow me or support at:
https://www.patreon.com/AuthorsDread

 

0