Chapter 1 – The Unfolding Wings Of The Floating Leaf 
78 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whoosh!

The mountain winds whipped through the wooden beams of the dojo and rustled the hay walls as they passed through. Inside, Master Sorah Kyoshin stood anchored to the ground, unmoved by the roaring gusts. At seventy-six years of age, many assumed Sorah would have long retired by now and pass the dojo onto an heir or successor. But he continued rising with the morning sun each day to train himself and eager students in the art of martial combat.

"Remember, true power comes not from brute force, but fluidity and balance," Master Sorah instructed as he beckoned his pupils forward with a wave of his crooked wooden staff. He wore a simple yellow gi tied with a black belt fraying at the edges, which indicated his mastery status.

Three teenage pupils lined up before him, barefoot on the woven tatami mats: Mari, a short-haired girl bobbing energetically on her heels, lanky pigtailed Meili who preferred to watch quietly from the back, and their unofficial ringleader, a thick-necked boy named Daichi who enjoyed interrupting class to challenge the master’s teachings.

"No offence, Master Sorah,” Daichi interjected with a dramatic sigh. “But don't you think this 'martial art' stuff is outdated? Nowadays, true power comes from a Disciple's bond with their Titan Avatars."

The other students nodded and murmured in ascent. In their world, Titans were colossal elemental creatures that could be summoned as Avatars to do battle by those with an Affinity. Each nation cultivated specialists with Affinities for one of the five elements — Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and the rare cosmic energy Aether.

Master Sorah frowned, shaking his head. "I have trained many skilled warriors in my day without any Titans or elemental magic involved. Martial arts provides an important foundation before one starts flinging around fire and lightning without discipline!"

Ignoring their master’s lecture, the chatter continued amongst his pupils. "Bet I could take you in a fight once I learn how to summon my Fire Titan!" boasted Daichi to Mari.

"Hah! I have a stronger Affinity than you. My Water Titan would crush your newbie Fire Avatar!" Mari taunted back.

"That’s enough, you two!” Sorah slammed the base of his staff commanding obedience. “True power does not come from base boasts or the strongest Titan. A Disciple must temper their Affinity with wisdom and—"

Suddenly a loud groan echoed from outside the dojo, followed by the snapping sounds of small trees toppling over. An eight-foot rotund beast came crawling through the hay door frame, bringing with it the pungent aroma of mossy bark. Its long segmented body was supported by hundreds of tiny stubby legs. Two giant mandibles protruded from its head, followed by antennae flickering eagerly.

"WOODWORM!" the three pupils cheered while rushing over to coddle the fat bug. It garbled affectionately at the attention.

"Ah, there's my lazy pet now, right on cue to interrupt this lesson," Sorah chuckled to himself. Despite Woodworm's notoriously sluggish, gluttonous reputation, the master had a soft spot for his rotund pet. After all, what else but a Woodworm could consume all the excess scrap lumber and keep their elevated dojo so tidy?

Daichi patted Woodworm's back carapace, causing it to regurgitate a half-digested log. "Who's a good boy, chopping us firewood?"

"Ugh, disgusting!" Mari gagged, as Meili rolled her eyes but continued gently stroking its antennae.

Master Sorah clapped twice with authority, "Alright, enough distraction. Back to your defensive postures!" The three students quickly bowed apologetically before reforming a line on the mats, imitating Sorah’s upright horse stance.

Woodworm warbled softly as it crawled towards its feeding corner and collapsed on a pile of shredded woodchips with a ground-shaking thud. Sorah kept one eye on his pet while walking down the line, adjusting his pupils' elbows and checking their balance.

"Remember, your centre is your base. Keep your feet firmly rooted so no attack can topple you!" Sorah swept low with his staff, checking his student’s stances against the strike. Meili wobbled slightly but held firm.

"Is this really necessary, Master?” Daichi whined. “Can’t we skip to the lesson on offensive Titan techniques?"

Sorah sighed. He admired Daichi’s drive, however misplaced. In their Cloud Hamlet, children discovered their elemental Affinities through coming-of-age rituals before bonding to a personalized Titan Avatar. Those gifted became Avatar Guards or Protectors, training to join the village Sky Patrol on Cloud Dragon mounts. They kept vigilant guard against invaders from rival nations.

Meanwhile those with weaker or no Affinities often became Craftsmen; glass blowers, weavers and builders that kept the village thriving. This suited families fine, as not everyone could become a legendary Protector anyway.

However, Daichi came from a long lineage of Fire Protectors. He was eager to uphold this honourable legacy and constantly questioned Sorah’s unconventional fighting techniques. 

‘If only he knew the sorrows in my past,’ Sorah thought. Perhaps the boy would better understand why one must never depend solely on magic, as unreliable as the winds.

"We must build a solid foundation before summoning Titans into the mix, Daichi” Sorah patiently explained. “Martial forms teach vital breath control and discipline. Else a reckless Disciple could lose themselves in the heat of battle.”

Sorah demonstrated by sucking in a long, controlled breath before striking the air swiftly with his palm and fist. Though aged, his movements flowed swiftly like water across stone. "In battle, you must remain flexible to weather any blow. Stand tall as the spruce in a storm!”

The students nodded, attempting their own punches and blocks. Their stances wobbled, roots still too shallow.

"Um Master... maybe we'd progress faster with a bit more hands-on instruction?" Meili asked timidly. "You used to arrange sparring matches with the Sky Patrol. Could we maybe train against real Protector trainees?"

Sorah's face fell slightly. "Ah, well... after last year's incident, Elder Liu thought it best we no longer associate so closely with the Protectors..."

An uncomfortable silence filled the dojo. Most of the village had distanced themselves after Sorah’s last protege had turned rogue. Arrogant Yanosuke had boasted his Titan-less martial skills could defeat any bender. When Yanosuke lost spectacularly trying to best a veteran Sky Captain's Titan in the village arena, he turned vengeful, trying to sabotage the Great Cloud Dance Festival by smashing giant Seed Crystal Shrines that kept their islands afloat.

Thankfully Sorah had stopped Yanosuke’s attack, but not before several Cloud Butterfly aviaries were damaged, destabilizing the Hamlet’s flight aura temporarily. Yanosuke fled after the battle, expelled under suspicion of consorting with their rivals in the Dune Empire. After this incident, the Elders decreed Sorah’s teachings were dangerous and eroding tradition.

"Do not worry, with practice you shall all progress just fine,” Sorah encouraged his pupils.

“I swear I'll be your best student ever, Master!" Daichi proclaimed. “No way would I ever turn traitor like stupid Yanosuke.”

“You honour me with your dedication, Daichi.” Sorah smiled warmly. “Now, shall we run through Low Spear defence combos?”

The afternoon lesson proceeded well, with students making decent progress. Sorah kept an eye on lazy Woodworm who snored gently in the corner amidst fresh wood shavings, having filled his belly so rotundly he could barely twitch his tiny legs.

Finally, Sorah called for meditation, having his pupils sit seiza-style while regulating their breathing, visualizing energies flowing smoothly within. Woodworm’s rumbling snores made an amusing backdrop.

Sorah allowed his mind to wander. He thought back to his childhood, when his father, a legendary Aether Master named Aoi had raised him alone after his mother had tragically passed. They constantly wandered between villages as Aoi carried out goodwill missions, assisting various tribes with resolving elemental disputes.

Sorah exhibited no Affinity for any one element, but his father never treated him as lesser for it. Aoi taught his son ancient martial forms and Boqumu techniques passed down through their ancestry. "Within you lies a vast untapped potential, my son. One day the elements shall rally to your inner light,” he would say.

However, on one fateful mission, Master Aoi vanished while mediating a territorial dispute between vicious Terravolt (Earth) and Ignis (Fire) clans. With his father gone and lacking elemental powers himself, the villagers had mocked and excluded young Sorah.

He had fled heartbroken into the wilderness where he wandered alone for months, scavenging whatever shelter and nutrients the strange environments provided. 

With no parents or village willing to take in an elementless child, Sorah had hardened his body and will to survive alone in the wilderness borderlands between kingdoms. He scraped bark and hunted wildlife, adapting to the extreme elevations and thin air.

This was the farthest edge of the Aerithra Kingdom, an amalgamation of dozens of floating islands chained together by massive tether vines. Each island played host to a different village or topography. Sorah's Cloud Hamlet resided high up on Isle Cirrus, a small oblong-shaped island consisting mainly of mountain peaks perpetually coated in mist.

Cloud Hamlet is renowned for its rich Cloud Butterfly aviaries harvested by the town's protectors and crafters. Massive twenty-foot wingspans allowed riders to soar through the air at impossible heights. By bonding the docile creatures to Seed Crystal Shrines around each island, the unleashed cloud aura kept the land masses floating amongst the clouds.

Sorah had heard wondrous tales of the wider Aerithra kingdom. Larger islands towards the interior hosted sprawling bamboo forests with networks of vine bridges spanning for miles high above the open air. These formed aerial “streets” allowed citizens from across the land to gather freely. At the heart floated the royal palace upon Isle Sanctum, a gargantuan chunk of jagged mountain peaks, large floating leaf structures and waterfalls said to be the birthplace of the Zephyr Council.

In stark contrast, Sorah’s Cloud Hamlet sat isolated near the border marshes where invasive mists often obscured surrounding landmarks. Few foreigners or traders visited their isolated outpost except for the occasional Sky Patrol envoy ensuring their Seed Crystals functioned properly. 

The Aerithra Kingdom mainly kept to themselves, wary of the other industrial nations. The closest known neighbour was the Volcano Domain within the Ignis Kingdom, visible on especially clear mornings as craggy ashen peaks oozing molten rock into the clouds below. 

As a boy, Sorah would gaze longingly past the border mists, wondering what civilizations existed out there beyond his narrow world. Were there truly lands of endless lightning storms or frigid ice cities as elders described?

Now as a grizzled adult, Master Sorah understood the comforts of ignorance and isolation for small villages like his. Let those arrogant volcanic bastards battle the Sand Devils from the Dune Empire if they wish, he thought. We shall embrace the clouds' protection, wanting no part in their endless feuds over territory and imagined slights. Our people respect the wind’s wisdom.

A high-pitched whine snapped Master Sorah from his daydreaming. He glanced up realizing too late that one of his students had been calling out. Lanky Meili pointed worriedly towards the outside terrace where plumes of black smoke were suddenly rising between structures.

"Master Sorah! Come quick, something's happening down there!" Meili cried, her usual timid voice now edged with panic. Daichi and Mari scrambled up from their mats, flocking to the windows.

Sorah rushed over with a speed belying his advanced age, dreading what new crisis could be unfolding now to further blacken opinions against his dojo. Had that rogue pupil Yanosuke truly returned seeking petty vengeance after all this time? Sorah feared his teachings may only breed more chaos despite pure intentions.

“Hmm?”

Squinting towards the town centre in the distance below, Sorah's stomach dropped as he spotted something worse than any personal grudge. Lumbering over the Cloud Butterfly aviaries was a terrifyingly large Titan Avatar wreathed in molten rocks - signature of the Ignis and Terravolt Kingdom combining elements. And perched atop its smouldering head was a battalion of Sand Devils and Pyro Warriors wielding curved spears. They had somehow infiltrated this far past their island barriers!

"Children, quickly! We must-" Sorah started shouting orders to escort his pupils towards the underground tunnels in the mountain for safety. But his words were drowned out by a nightmarish scream as the intruding Titan Avatar reared back and unleashed a towering inferno upon the fragile bamboo structures of Sorah's neighbourhood. 

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Dozens of Cloud Hamlet residents fled screaming as the flames rapidly engulfed the surrounding hillside dwellings.

"My family! NO!" young Mari screamed, breaking down and weeping before the horrific blaze now devouring her household. Meili and Daichi rushed to comfort their peer. Sorah's heart shattered at the pain and destruction ravaging his home.

In countering panic, Master Sorah forced himself to regulate his breathing, steadying his mind just as he had taught his pupils moments earlier. He calmly assessed their options. The emergency underground tunnels leading away from town suddenly seemed too risky with air quality plummeting. Their best hope was to evacuate into the open skies and pray the Sky Patrol could intercept them shortly.

Sorah whistled sharply twice, calling out to his pet Woodworm. Despite the chaos and flames now swallowing their home, loyal Woodworm came crawling rapidly out from the woodshed towards its master's call.

"Quickly my friend, we need your help!" Sorah urged the hefty bug. "Initiate cocoon fusion sequence!"

Obediently Woodworm began spewing strands of sticky silk from its mouth, rapidly encasing its entire body within a thick silken cocoon. The three students watched amazed as the cocoon tightened and took shape, morphing into a more streamlined form. Fragile butterfly wings began protruding from slits along its sides.

Moments later the transformation completed, revealing where sluggish Woodworm once lay now fluttered an elegant white Cloud Butterfly known as Breeze Plume. Its wingspan was easily twelve feet tip to tip.

"Whoa... Woodworm was your mount this whole time?" Daichi exclaimed in disbelief. "Why didn’t you tell us?"

"No time for questions now, hurry aboard!" Master Sorah hoisted each teary-eyed teen onto Breeze Plume's saddle as smoke from the encroaching inferno filled their lungs. “Stay close and low to my Butterfly’s breast once we take flight!”

Sorah gave the signal and Breeze Plume cantered up the grassy hillock away from the blaze. Safely perched atop its fuzzy thorax, Sorah felt the children’s tiny arms cling tightly to his waist as he steered Breeze Plume to the precipice overlooking miles of open sky in one direction... and solid land many lethal miles straight down.

"Hang on!" Master Sorah yelled. Gripping the reins, he gave their most trusted escape route one sorrowful glance before urging Breeze Plume to soar off the mountain ledge into the smoky abyss.

 

Become a free member or share your support with me at:
https://www.patreon.com/AuthorsDread

7