Ch9: Great War
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Great War

Well into the five years of war's relentless cruel reign.

Amidst the kilometer-long lines, trenches etched deep, Iron defenses, soldiers standing, the courage they try to keep. But not all remain, some fallen on the fight, gunfire ceaseless, an orchestra of artillery, performing with full might., rumbling horizons, bombs shaking the course. On the ground, tremors felt beneath our feet, 200 meters of shattered earth, barbed wire weaves its grim tale, allies and enemies, separated by this perilous veil, a battlefield is now complete.

The soldiers wear uniforms tattered and stained, tell tales of countless fights, so worn that the color uniform is their only shared trait. Thousands of men ready their rifles with bullets of courage and might, and others load grenades in belts, helmets adjusted with care, they stand among comrades, bound by a common drive. In their faces, resignation's trace, accepting fate, death's embrace. Eyes peek over sandbags, vigilant and aware, Others watch the clock, waiting with a silent pray. Officers study maps, plans unfolding in their hands, Minutes away from the general's whistle's command. Clock ticking, the moment draws near, The air thick with tension, and whispers clear.
 
The objective lies beyond enemy lines, cities once mighty, hidden from our signs, just a few hundred meters behind. Damned loyal to the emperor, fierce as dragons' might, an important leader controls, blocking our flight defeating him gains ground, accessing lower lands, continuing the crusade, where destiny stands. Hope still remains within our sight, the white coats join, ready to fight, facing the dragon's pride, their first test, Proving training's worth, standing are only the best of them. Others shall distract, drawing enemy's gaze, while they stealthily advance, their skills ablaze.
 
Beside me, a group stands, their voices unite, whispers in the air, mocking my trembling, their judgment unfair of my fear on display, betrayed by emotions, in this moment's sway. They are the new ones, youthful and green, The third wave of dragon hunters, yet to be seen. But I don't fret, I must follow my path, A mission veiled in secrecy, concealing the aftermath. Beneath the this war's veil, a murder I must hide, by the Empress's decree, her orders are firm and clear, the charges against him, suspicions of treason, to carry out the act, the ultimate reason. The final test, a trial I must face, to prove my worth and claim my place as a true member of the clandestine game, undetected, I must complete the mission, stealth and secrecy, is the ambition.
 
The general on a crate does stand, his words of courage echo through the land. A call to never despair, to stand tall, Inspiring his troops to give it their all. Acts of greatness, stories unfold, but beneath the surface, a lie is told. A worthy sacrifice, they're made to believe a grand tour promised, no encore in sight, a glorious battle, in the name of what's right. With words of steel and fire, he inspires, igniting a burning spirit, that never tires. with courage in our veins, we'll face any trial, Bound by his words, we'll go the extra mile. But amidst the fervor, tragedy strikes with a blow, s sniper's bullet finds its mark, aiming low. The general falls, with a hero's fate untold, as his own troops watch, with hearts unaware, surprised they are not, the sight not rare, In war's dark grasp, this is a constant affair, everyone here had left their lives in fortune's hands.
 
A white knight walks next to the troops, The White Banisher makes an appearance with courage and pride, gently he lays the fallen general to rest, from his hands he takes the whistle a symbol of command he now possesses, he is the first to leave the trench, taking a brave stand, then he blows the signal to courage awake, the rest of the soldiers follow now in his act of courage, for the future sake, but all daring comes at a cost, shots rain down like rain with no place to rest o fade,  one thousands bullets with their names, a toll paid in pain and death.
 
I am pushed by the huge group towards the plains of death, I run as fear grips and enthralls my life, I see how in front of me there are ten men, then vanish from sight, shots whizzing by, I can swear that one grazing my helmet, what a fright, I need to survive this ordeal, to see another day. Seeking shelter from the enemy's wrath I found a hole, formed by artillery's strike, I entered it hoping to extend my precious time, but it was already occupied, a tragic find, An inert body lay nearby, such a somber sight, one of the white coats is revealed, once taunting with youthful jest. Now at just 14 years, he's laid to rest, In the dark abyss of this godless place, fate's cruel hand is shown,  young soldier's innocence is forever gone. A chance lies before me his gear was left aside, a great find of food so hunger can satiate. Though tinged with a trace of blood, I do not care, swiftly devouring the sustenance, my hunger's slate, I quickly swallow it down the food bar.
 
Just a few minutes have passed as I carry on my way, hoping none have noticed, the dead's belongings I sway, I doubtful their eyes catch my act of theft, now many more bodies lay partially buried on horrible display the secret will be held from them. The soldiers keep pressing onward, nearing the enemy trench,  I follow those who dare to take the daring plunge, into the depths we leap, amidst the chaos and strife in the enemy's domain, this daring advance. We managed to kill several of the foes with might, but now their plan unfolds a grim sight, several metal baskets have been launched, releasing green gas from them has leaped out, deadly poison has been released into the air, Mustard gas spreads, its vile presence is felt, a weapon of horror, where life will melt, yet despite this we still face the despair, we fight in this gruesome battle full of darkness and less to no light.
 
With masks on we survey the scene, A really haunting sight, the dead now rise again. Under the True Dragons' command, they rise, attacking again, catching us by surprise. Even comrades in arms, now turned astray, fighting against us in this fucked twisted display, in a battle where allies turned foes, we fight against the tide, against all odds we need to oppose. Bullets are now grow scarce, our options are few, In search of a weapon, a shovel was the best drew. With fierce blows, we strike at the foe's head, Returning to ways of only melee engagement, old war customs now looks revived.
 
A line of fire rises, ablaze by the girl's magic weaves, casting spells to create passage, scarlet spear group in the fight. Dragon hunters are now making a charge, launching their fierce attack, clearing a path for soldiers, who now follow in their tracks, unbeknownst to them, my target lies ahead. Among them, I blend, hidden amidst the crowd, anonymously walking, unseen in the shroud blending good right along, as one more in the sea of men, I remain unbowed.
 
The town appears, but resistance holds tight, the battle rages on, a relentless fight, the attack persists, the destruction left in its wake, a long dragon looms in the square, a menacing stake. White coats step forth, challenging the beast, to a duel they go, their courage unleashed. Amidst the chaos and havoc they face, In this epic clash, heroes find their grace, I will make sure of this. Soldiers fight on, battles raging all around, protecting the dragon slayers, their common ground, seizing the opportunity, I devise a plan, entering a house, executing it as I began. Two residents fall, their fate now sealed, amidst the chaos, their identities concealed. Revelers or not, the lines blur in strife, A ruthless act, a calculated slice.
 
In the wyvern's battle, measures I employ, to escape this chaos, I must be fast and coy. To slay a white cloak is no easy feat, cunning as a fox, I must be discreet,  anonymity my is shield, the ace up that I carefully tread, ensuring my survival, staying one step ahead. Outsmarting my foes, is all I  have to  preserving my life against those.
 
Approaching the window on the house's upper floor, enemy rifle in hand, aiming with a silent roar, target locked, Alejandro del Toro in my sight, aiming true, his head explodes in a deadly display. Sakura senses danger, her swift strike unleashed, Wall burst, leaving me close, fate entwined and breached. Cutting a rope, a decoy takes to the sky, the dead hold my rifle, a ruse to pacify. A hunter attacks the decoy, diverting their aim, I bow low, slipping away evading scrutiny and any blame. In this dangerous game, I move with clandestine grace, escaping the chaos, leaving no trace.
 
When the village finally falls, white cloaks gather on the square, descending upon their fallen fighter with a solemn air, congratulated by all troops, cheers fill the air, and yet Sakura lingers, sensing something unfair. A knowing glint, a suspicion takes hold, In her eyes, a glimmer of suspicion and doubt, She knows something strange, without a shadow of clout of the mysteries don't told. She senses the truth, an anomaly unknown, For she knows there's more to this triumph's glow.
1