Chapter 11: Imperial capital and family’s sightseeing
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Imperial capital of Harzon empire, located at center, surrounded by a Forest to East, Darkwood forest,a mountain range to West, Grand River to South and Northern plain.

Capital was very vast, it's citizen consists of only human.

City had two layered defensive wall, one in outskirts and one in middle of city, second one separated normal civilian from high class noble and wealthy merchants.

Such obvious discrimination was quite normal in all four nations, rather Duchy of Arion was the unusual one among noble.

Today Arion family decided to tour city to pass time and for kids to get familiar with capital.

Twin felt strange, like something was missing and that was their missing third person that was always with them and rebuked them when they did any strange thing.

Looking at outer wall garrisoned by installed barrier circle ready to activate and magical catapult of different four basic attribute, was quite a magnificent view.

Looking at a place prepared for defensive battle, twin's mood was quite lifted by atmosphere.

War weaponry always had a attractive aspect for boys, these two weren't exception either, Simon more than his brother.

Passing gate of city, guard didn't asked them for identification, cause James face with his blue hair was well-known, same for “fast Sword”Emma. 

Looking around city, seeing different types people going to and fro. For Samuel who had lived in his family's mansion and villa, and visited aqua vein city and eden island few times, this was something fresh.

Seeing people selling merchandise by roadside, children playing in alleys, gentle looking old people, etc.

He felt that life was beautiful thing and they were happy.

A naive way of thinking that a child, one belonging to a child that hadn't experienced life and it's hardships, would have.

They continued their tour, going to high class ring of city, the place was totally different. 

The people were totally different,refined clothing elegant manner of handling themselves, there wasn't any kids around, shop were bigger, there were some shops that lower area didn't have, something called "coffee shop”, one idea of five champion.

They went to bakery to purchase some confection.

Afterwards they reached to famous coffee shop, taking a order for four cause Julie and William weren't accompanying them.

While they seated around a table, other costumers were stealing glance at them.

Their gaze was something unfamiliar for Samuel, especially one female costumer was looking straight at him, causing him an unknown fear and shudder, it wasn't respect he saw back in their own city, or awestruck and envious in lower district of capital.

Thinking this deeply caused other three to look at him, but his thoughtful face was cute, so no one disturbed him.

That female costumer eyes was looked on him and not leaving an inch.

Her red hair reminded him of aunt Sharon, so his eyes was caught on her hair for awhile.

Suddenly he noticed her eye, after that he felt scared by each passing second, he wanted to flee the place immediately, such urge grew up in him.

He sent a pleading look to his parents which they didn't noticed it's meaning.

(okay, don't be scared, mom and dad are here, so nothing will happen) he told himself as if to reassure himself.

His father looked towards the woman, Samuel looked awhile ago.

With waist length red-hair, an alluring figure, and her well ordinated face, she was woman described as higher than average but James couldn't find source of fear which Samuel had.

That fear wasn't fake, that was obvious, it couldn't even be prank as Samuel wasn't a child to do such thing, so something must have frightened him to look like that.

Emma seeing him stare at woman with this intensity, was rather displeased but wasn't going to glare at him or beckons him to stop.

She knew the reason, and if it wasn't for sake of perstiage, she would already be at that damn woman throat.

While weird atmosphere descended among them, a man laugher came from entrance.

As everyone looked towards the source, they saw a tall and lean man, with green hair and narrow eye, wearing a high class formal attire.

The man walked over to James, seemingly an acquaintance of him.

James stood up abruptly, looking straight at the man.

“hehe, finally such great honor I have received, your grace finally stepped in capital and made this old friend to tremble in happiness.”

with his warm and friendly greeting made twin to assume that he was their father's friend.

But James no sign of wanting to respond to his sarcastic greeting, snorting at man he said without any courtesy.

“hmph,what do you want, damn snake? I'm passing quality time with my family, so piss off.”

His word silenced the entire place, other party wasn't someone he could insult easily, they were both noble of same rank, but he didn't seem to care.

“heh,I see, you're hot-tempered and bull-headed as always, even when I came across you by coincidence and just wanted a happy chat, you treat me like this.” His voice was filled with lamentation and melancholy, like woman that had been cheated.

“cut it off, I've no time to waste, chit-chating with you, if you have something say it faster, Martin blackwood.”

Voice of James was airing his displeasure completely bare, from audience perspective it was obvious that he didn't want this conversation and coincidental meeting to happen at all.

“it's seems my goodwill to have a word with you isn't getting through, okay, I'll cut it short, there's important matter I must discuss with you, it's related to one of your children.”

Suddenly everyone present felt a strange waves hit them, and they could hear sounds of ocean waves.

A suffocating pressure befall on them, twin felt pressure too, even though they weren't target and James was focusing his mana to protect them, seeing horror on costumer face made feel fear.

It was advanced magician rage, subconsciously letting his mana effect his surrounding.

James voice rang out, this time with hate and malice reaching it's peak “if you don't wish to get drowned right here, then you better shut your trap or I'll shut it for you, permanently.”

For twin this was new, they haven't seen their dad get angry like this and so fast at that.

“sigh” While letting a sigh of regret Emma went to James side, placing a hand on his shoulder.

When he turned attention to her, she shook her head at him and said in a whispering tone “let us go, you shouldn't lose to your anger like this in public.”

While this was ongoing, Martin looked at them with amusement, as if ruining their time brought pleasure to him.

Sending a last angry look towards Duke of blackwood family, he went towards the door with other three in tow.

After they left the shop, Martin went to same table they were seated at, talking in low voice with himself “seeing his displeased and angry face was a real marvelous spectacle, can't wait to see his face in banquet when he hear it.” A sadistic smile was plastered on his face, which creeped other costumers out.

Red haired female, turned her attention to window, no longer caring about other, her gaze was following departing figures of Arion family. 

“you're as good as they said, no, even better, just the way I like it, can't wait to have you for myself, boy.”Her voice was soft and filled with love, something that other couldn't comprehend.

While in outside four was walking aimlessly, wandering about, children wanted to ask what was going on but wasn't sure it was right time or not.

Emma holding one of James hand and in other Samuel's,while Samuel held his brother's, changed their aimless wander and went to a grand intersection. 

This was heart of capital, a short distance away from castle, a gigantic fountain was in middle with a statue of a woman built within it, surrounded by flowers shop, jewelry and similar.

This was a famous spot for high class family and lovers to spend time.

The water flowing in fountain wasn't normal, it was holy water fountain, a artifact created by one who had Goddess of water Divine protection in past.

It had a calming effect on people around it, so it was Emma best option for calming him down.

“sorry, I ruined our time cause of that scum.” Even while he was calmed down, he still shows signs of wanting to go back and finish his banter with Martin.

“never mind that, just don't let him get to you, especially not tomorrow.” Emma remind him, but it was unsure what he would do tomorrow in response to his provoking attempt.

Arion family and blackwood family, were always in conflict, since empire foundation, they never had friendly relationship, sometimes reaching point of complete fall out and open hostility.

With mediation of Duke Roseville which had a quite a good relationship with them, and imperial family intervention, a civil war has been prevented till now but last two generations has been one of worst-case, many of ministers has predicted that they have high chance of initiating a disastrous conflict.

Even James himself was keenly aware of this point, and with special rules that his ancestor placed for his family, becoming a shackle to him, he was between a rock and hard place.

Edward, had forbade any war-seeking act, any war on personal grudge was taboo for his lineage.

(it isn't our problem what happened to you in past, I know what he experienced was horrifying and traumatized him, but it's too much for us to be in this state because of something unrelated to us) While James was thinking to throw away his family policy, Emma took twin and brought them to fountain side.

Standing near it, Simon suddenly dipped his hand in fountain's water, and released his mana.

His act startled people passing by, cause it wasn't permitted for everyone to touch it, only priests and priestesses serving water Goddess had such privilege, other people mana could contaminate it, but wasn't that shocking to Emma.

It was a subconscious act for Simon too, he didn't even noticed it himself after nearly emptying his mana, entire artifact, started to glow in blue light. 

An heavenly aroma filled the area, mind calming effect was clearly enhanced, giving impression of standing in paradise, and forgetting their problems and issues.

“whoa…” Samuel was looking at spectacle and his brother in awe and admiration, same with people around them.

But mind calming effect didn't seem effective for him, what he felt was something raising from depth of himself, something unknown, unfamiliar and unpleasant.

This thing was something he felt growing slowly since his training begun, he didn't understand it and choose to ignore it, but it alway remained with him.

James looking at situation from afar had a bitter smile on his face and murmured to himself “if you guys seeking it, then so be it, a war you wish for, a war should you have, I'll show you why even emperor don't dare to face us in a decisive war.”

With his mind no longer in burning wrath, he went to them and said with a warm smile“ is it enough for today? We saw most of places that you would like, so how about returning? Your grandmother gonna miss you, you know.” aware of how obedient they were to Julie, he used her name.

Arriving back at their capital mansion, they spend time, Samuel continued his training, James mediated to be able to keep calm for tomorrow, Simon tried to replicate same magic he used, intending to make a small area with same effect.

At night sky was dancing with fire, which attracted people to it.

Two huge lion created by pure fire, overlooking entire capital with lofty gaze, as if entire capital was their den, a show of brilliance for their upcoming event, a demonstration of power for internal noble and other nations ambassadors.

But for Samuel his first thought wasn't that this was beautiful or awe inspiring rather…

“…what a pure waste of Mana”

1