Chapter 14: A long-standing enmity of two families
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At main hall of castle, after group of children took their leaves.

Martin changed gear and took a serious face.

“attendees, as most of you are aware of, these gifted children are hope of human nations, so we have to groom them with care and stop them from going astray, so speak up about any idea you might have.” his voice was complete opposite of benign tone he had till a moment ago.

Matter at hand was something that would determine fate of world.

10,000 year ago when empire formed, demon had pushed human race to a point of near extinction, at such timing Alexander Harzon took up arm and led the scattered survivors to a last battle, which ended in human race overwhelming victory.

Against monsters who are born with strength higher than average human, against demon with special constitution, human land needed protection.

As two mentioned race have high fighting capabilities, especially some of demon race holding power of monster control.

In ancient past, were status system didn't exist human were weaker race and had high casualties, harsh living conditions of forced to live in shadow and fear.

When ' father of all monsters ' was still alive, he had forced gods to a corner until they choosed to summon hero to stop that existence.

Status system was idea of one of five summoned person, he proposed creation of such system in order to improve people power and their own chance of triumph in battling that creature.

At Martin word, no one responded, not that they didn't had any planning to propose, it was their show of courtesy to Martin, keeping speech in his hand.

Martin looked around and returned gaze to emperor and resumed.

“for cultivating such seedlings to grow to upstanding tree of future association named as Imperial Academy was created long ago, it had satisfactory results in producing capable man, to hold our own borders and our brother nations borders.” in his voice a tremendous pride could be felt.

“it is a capable Academy, built by cooperation of all noble families of the empire, but for this generation, it can't stay the same.”

His word puzzled the audience, as they couldn't comprehend his meaning but they didn't interrupted him… not all them though.

Julie broke her silence and asked him with harsh tone.

“and what is this change you suppose it should have? Forcing some unwilling teacher? ”

Her voice laid bare all of her indignation she holed up in her heart.

For people present, her act wasn't unexpected. 

All of them knew what infuriated her but she wasn't only one getting enraged.

“what is it you damn murderer? You shall be grateful that your life has been spared and now you're given a chance of atonement. But what is your response? Taking your nose high up like an oh-so-important woman you are.”

The one who spoke with poisonous tongue and jabbed his word was marquis Vinson, Elio's father.

Julie snorted in response and replied in kind.

“as if I have asked you little brother of that bastard, you better go back to hole you crawl out from.”

Her word left him fuming with anger but he didn't have chance to return her kind word.

“calm down you two, this isn't a place for past grievances to cause infighting.” Martin invited them to settle down.

This was surprise for both sides, Vinson was surprised at him cause Arions were their shared enemy and Julie was surprised at him that didn't use this opportunity to join front with Vinson.

When both sides went quiet, Martin continued.

“for your concern madam Arion, its rather unfortunate that you despise it this much but there was no better option than you.”

Shaking his head, he changed his word and revealed real reason for them insistence on her return.

“if we talk about space magic, we might be able to find someone to replace you for teaching, but we want to invite all of best in every aspect, for such your talent is required. Same can be said for your perstiage, most of those we contacted was unwilling to cooperate if you didn't plan on doing so.”

The changes Martin wanted to do in imperial Academy was rather simple, it was inviting best of each fields from all nations, to provide best environment for Allan and his peers growth.

But the key to this plan was stuck in Julie's hand.

Sword saint of miles and divine sheild of aegis, both personal had insisted that if she didn't attend, they wouldn't either.

Holy Knight of Agios and magic king of empire accepted their proposal, but lacking two of main powerhouses of world was fatal.

And that was when you ignored most of her discipline which were invited for the work, and all had rejected the offer immediately.

So Academy had asked emperor for the task, but he had his pride, he couldn't request his subjects for something.

And if he was going to order her? He could use his toes to think and give a big no as an answer.

So they played honest, and admitted everything.

For James and Julie this was suspicious, James knew Martin like back of his hands, he could swore that honesty and such frankness wasn't his style.

And he was right on mark.

“although I know that there was an unpleasant incident happened in past I hope you can let it go, for sake of peaceful future.” his demeanor was so sincere and somber, that some could mistake him for a saint, seeking to remove strife from world.

James felt a sickening sensation in his gut, seeing him like this.

(as if you can fool anyone beside yourself) 

For James putting trust in any of blackwood family was outright madness. 

Martin exhaled, as if driving his sadness of remember that past away, which made Julie to gnash her teeth.

James was quite enraged since yesterday incident and information he obtained today, but all that anger, all that frustration was pale in comparison to what Julie felt, he knew that she had held back her rage in past two months.

When Martin planned to finish his long winded speech, Emma took a hold on Julie's hand, it seems old woman planned to use space magic here.

“I know sadness of past doesn't go away with empty word, so as way to ensure you that similar tragedy won't repeat itself, we would transfer control of Academy to your hands and all incident happening inside Academy would be under your judgement, not any outside organization.”

Every one was terror-striken by his word and wanted to protest.

But before uttering a single complaint, Alexander raised his hand.

“This is our judgement, no objection is allowed.”

His words made them silent, on surface at least, their hearts was still indignant.

{she is a crazy woman, putting her in charge is insane.}

{even if emperor says so, who would dare to leave their children in her care? This is sheer lunacy}

Nobles low voice reached everyone's ear, as all of noble present were magician or warrior of atleast level 200, such voice was easily perceivable for them.

But it failed to infuriate Julie, as she didn't care about their thoughts on her, what mattered was her disciplines and nothing else, if she could use the obvious bait they laid for her, then it'll be better than total loss she would have suffered. 

She already had lost chance of rejection, two months ago, although she went berserk at him, she knew Alan wouldn't say baseless nonsense, if he said her presence was necessary, then it surely was that necessary. 

“…alright, I'll accept it ” she said.

This time all eye in hall went wide in shock, the most surprised was James, as he knew her second best in whole world.

(what happened two months ago? Its better to have visit and inquire about it from father)

“ Oh, such a blissful time, as if gods have bless world for grand end on all conflicts.”

Martin showed his happiness upfront, which …

(damn creepy) 

That was summarization of all James felt from beginning to end of his antic.

“then allow me, inheritor of blackwood family blood and carrier of their legacy to put an end to one their wrong remnants.” Martin said with sober expression.

“my ancestor and Arions ancestor had a feud in blood, I don't wish to open this past wound, I want it to end here and in this era, no matter who was guilty for this enmity, no matter who started it.”

His word shocked them, and after some second contemplating it everyone reached one answer, and it was…

“… by betrothing my daughter and Simon Arion, two family can finally leave this past behind, and reach peace.”

Heavy silence filled the air.

Suddenly everyone felt that room was unnaturaly humid, and they found cause rather easily.

It was James doing, despite his effort he was reaching his boiling point.

So he spoke up, to stop his impulsive desire to bash at his archenemy in his sight.

His voice was low and seething with surpassed emotion. 

”Martin, you should know the best, what my response is, so why did you even asked?”

“Hmm?” Martin throw a puzzled look at him, as if he didn't get what he was implying “ what do you mean by that? Why should I know your answer?” he said, feigning ignorance. 

“Mm” so James accepted his blatant act and moved on with it “ then allow me to inform you of my answer.”

“I'll take swine as bride over your vile spawn for him.”

With his word a blue hue flashed in his eyes, and his magic enveloped entire room like enraged beast, ready to break the cage, and pounce on his prey and rip him apart.

At his curse Alexander eyebrows jumped a little and waved his hand and calmed violent water mana, which James released.

Sovereign's magic could overrule all other active magic and manipulate them to user's will. 

Such capability had kept Harzon family in rules for ten millenia, but for first time Alexander felt something was unusual, his magic didn't work as fast as always, but eventually, it still subjugated it .

“calm yourself, Duke Arion, you're in presence of his majesty, such crude word and behavior is what you should avoid” admonishment from Martin was like poisonous needle stuck in his throat. 

He exhaled repeatedly to calm himself, he heard a voice an quiet whisper in his ear.

“there was some fluctuations of mana from outside, something is happening outside ”

It was William report, he and his family was sensitive to anything that was tried to be hid away.

As man of shadow family, he couldn't let something like this slip past his senses.

But Martin wasn't kind enough to give him time to understand what was happening outside. 

“ and do you really think you can reject this proposal?  You should know law about it well enough” there was trace of disdain deep in his voice. 

“so today, hereby I, announces that, my daughter, Mable blackwood, blessed by divine protection of Goddess of wisdom would be engaged with Duke Arion son, Simon Arion, who is blessed by one God and two Goddess. ”

“although there was crown prince Allan as best choice, I decided that this would be best for both families, for a disastrous relationship to turn into total opposite.”

Declaring his word with extreme confidence and righteous belief in it, he went on and on, without even looking at James bloodshot eyes.

James was aware that this was coming from before, he was prepared for it, but still it burned him to no end.

Was he that powerless to allow his son to be used by this man?

Did he had no option besides submitting to situation because of law?

As if his family were such people, they wouldn't take other offense laying down and doing nothing.

If someone aimed their hostility at them, they would give them a piece of their minds, without care for who opponent was. 

So this family trait showed itself.

“you dare you damn vermin?!!”

Feeling boiling rage let loose, he roared as he let out all of his power, in instantaneous outburst, his magic, shook the entire castle.

Its tremble could be even felt inside the city.

Alexander heart skipped a beat when he tried to use his magic to contain him.

But power James let out was resisting his power to an unnatural degree, which was first he had ever experienced.

“hmph, you find me a weakling to be intimidated by such thing?!”

With emission of Dark green colored aura, he displayed his own might.

“hah, like your plant magic can do anything to me. Have forgotten where we are?!” letting out a voice derision, James mocked the familial magic, which blackwoods took pride in.

And his word was hard truth, as lack of soil, weakened his magic considerably.

“same goes for you, James.” 

His word had merit to it too, but difference between his magic in place without soil and James magic in place without water, was too much.

Someone stopped them before they leaped at each other, as towering flame hold both of them back.

Haco robust voice filled the hall.

“are you two planning to turn this place to your fighting ring? Like two damn brat who want to fight it out?!”

Haco was a man of military, he was rough and unrelenting.

He was a friend of James, so he was fully aware of the man temper, he knew talking with him would yield nothing so he planned to forcefully calm him down.

“don't interfere Haco, this has to end now!!”

James was aware his friend good will but he didn't accepted it.

If he back downed now, everything would be wasted.

So heavy stream of water poured onto Martin's head.

But vine and tree branches formed a sheild above his protecting him.

“come on, it's not this eas─”

Before he finished the sentence, a water ball hit him from a low angle, landing directly on his stomach. 

He didn't even saw when that magic was made, didn't even felt when it rushed at him.

James looked at him with scornful gaze, as if what he saw was piece of trash.

Before anyone could lend a hand, ferocious strike relentlessly assaulted Martin from all sides. 

He used his magic to stop attacks but all his efforts were in vain. 

Any direction he thought attack was coming from, they would change their course and would still land and his offensive strike would be shredded to pieces before reaching him.

So Martin surrounded himself with branches, sealing all directions.

“a useless coward and leech who always send other to front while he stay in safe place in back, so is this the best you can do? Hide behind your shell like turtle? Though a turtle have more courage than you.”

James power stroke his body while his word aimed his spirit, James felt no pity in mercilessly burning his enemy fort down to the ground.

Water surrounded Martin sheild as it formed a spherical shape.

“let see if your defense can last this.” His sharp word turned sinister in people ear.

His plan was obvious as sphere of water would press on Martin sheild and eventually would crush him، leaving the in a crunched mass of flesh and bones.

Those who have seeing James fighting before, would be aware of this tactic, only a fire magician was capable of defense against it.

Other planed to interfere as invisible wall of space, pushed them all back.

“hah, does I appear invisible to you guys? ” Julie voice was kind of happy. 

She had an ample amount stress lately, such release was exactly what she wanted.

Everyone shadow started to wriggle, rising in shadowy figure, this was shadow combatants, William's shadow magic, copying everyone state, using other own power to oppose themselves.

As hall turned to utter chaos, a guard enter and shouted with close to scream voice.

“O-outside, prince Allan and Simon Arion, have engaged in a vicious combat, there are some of court magician and and noble kids heavily injured…”

But he was dumbstruck when he saw that here and outside didn't differ much.

Like parents like children.

0