Chapter 18: Convalescence, Storm and Obsession
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In first week of him being in recovery, Samuel finished reading a patch of books he had on hand.

In books characteristics of elements were discussed, alongside magic circle, incantation for some magics.

In those days he reduce time allocated to his mana training. 

Although him emptying his reserves could increase his total mana, it was miniscule.

According to Julie's estimation, his initial mana was around 150, a rock bottom amount that nearly all basic job owners had.

In two months he trained, its total amount increased to 5 time of what it was. With basic calculations each depletion he did resulted around meager 5 unit increase.

He wanted simple magic capable keeping his skin safe, so he didn't cared about high-rank magic and just concentrated his time on lower ranking.

wind and water attribute he had weren't weak, as having two different type played a big role in being versatile in combat, dealing with different situations. 

But wind was more focused on speed and stealth, while water was about flexibility, with moderate power in offense and defense, and both took a good consumption if you wanted to use them for winning in aggressive manner.

This was no help to him, he didn't have much to use, so he reached a new idea.

To imitate one of his father's skill, cost reduction.

He didn't have system so he couldn't actually get a skill, but it wasn't like he couldn't try for.

Filling a cup of water then trying to refill it with 90% of mana used for it.

He didn't knew if it would work or not, but he had to try.

For wind attribute he decided to hone his own innate ability, one that his grandmother called [wind sense].

In second week he found himself hard to wake up, and that hindered his progress. 

So he forced himself for new training.

[sleep control], with his mana recovery achieved by only sleep, he had to control his sleep.

It was hard for him with how he usually was, when he fall asleep he would be in a state of heaviness, like his body and mind were trapped in beautiful dream, one that he didn't want to wake up from.

Though he never knew what beauty that explosion dream had or why it stayed persistent to this day, but he was already accustomed to it and fear of it was getting less and less.

His target for sleep control was that he could make him go to sleep deep enough to recover his mana and wake up after it.

Ideal was 15 minute, going to sleep was easy but when he woke up it would be around 4 hours later, relying on someone to wake him was also another way but he didn't chose to do so, wanting to overcome his weakness himself.

In third week a strom hit the region, black clouds filling the sky, day after day was heavy and ceaseless downpour, rumbling lightning sound was heard most of time as it made living in territory rather hard.

Samuel's days didn't change much, taking meal and training was all he did, in the eyes of mansion residents he should've been bored and threw a tantrum or something but he was quiet, just concentrating on his training. 

One of night when he looked outside, he found himself fasnacited by the storm.

“such a beautiful and destructive phenomenon”

It was a magnificent sight, moving forward with nothing stopping it, fearing no one.

So he added gazing at flashing lightning in his hobby list.

His brother didn't pay him a visit and it's reason remained unknown to him.

Actually it was how he wanted to, seeing Simon would bring that day up and that was unpleasant, for both of them.

As days passed with him only spending time with his training and visits of his mother asking his condition and making sure he was taking the medicine.

It is torture, was how Samuel described that potion, with extremely horrible taste.

But his mother would remain to make sure he didn't play tricks and he drinks it till last drop.

He sought a way to fool her eyes and get rid of it.

His attempt was always seen through and busted.

He tried to intentionally make a hand slip and break the bottle but speed of opponent was way too high for that.

He used wind to make sounds behind her grabbing her attention, even when she got distracted and looked back, she still turned so fast that he had no time to do anything.

So he gave up on resistance and took it in silence.

One time from depth of his being he wished that damn thing to turn into water or fruit juice.

And at response he lost most of his mana and left him with bottle filled with pure water and nothing else.

It left him in a daze, unknown what to do.

His mother vigilant eyes was on him waiting for his new plan.

Samuel looked at her attentively and realized that she hadn't noticed anything.

After drinking it, he found that it wasn't illusion or anything similar.

Afterwards he tested and found what it was, he could simply turn any liquid into water and when he tried to do reverse it would take too much and he would have no choice but stop it before he run out.

With his little trick, he managed to get free from the medicine and prolonging his convalescence from one month to two months.

But it eventually passed and he got out of bed.

For him to recover completely and walk smoothly, he accompanied his mother on her daily training. 

But besides that his lifestyle changed not a bit.

He felt a pleasant feeling when he researched any magic he could. 

His life turned into something rather unhealthy, but he liked it so other didn't force him for a change.

His training in sleep control also progressed slowly but it improved nonetheless.

So he relentlessly and ceaselessly devoted himself to his research on himself, ignoring everything else, it could be said it was obsessive to extreme.

Simon also avoided him even after his recovery.

Samuel avoided him too, he didn't wanted to see how much he would grow in time that he had, how much more was their differences had became.

Time passed summer came and autumn followed.

In such state a full year passed.

Reaching new year، as new year celebration was drawing near.

As inside city and mansion was decorated for festival, only a reclusive boy was staying away uncaring about surrounding and drowning in his own world.

At first it was for protection and his only way of growth, but now it was his life, if he wasn't in workshop he requested his father for his researches, he would feel bored and suffocated.

Inside the workshop felt damp at results of use of water magic for all time since it was built.

Emma was moving towards there to bring him out for a breathing and preparing him for festival.

Reaching there, she put here hand on doorknob. 

When she tried to turn it, an electrifying sensation passed through her hand, numbing her fingers and hand.

“what is this?” shaking her numb hand, with suspicious feeling filling her heart she opened the door with a fast push.

A hearty laugher greeted her entrance along with excited voice of young boy.

“haha…hahaha, it's a success, finally I did it, I knew it, kekeke.”

When she looked inside she found a boy with unkempt hair, a loose clothing which was ripped apart in several places, with trace burn on his skin, especially his hands.

A piece of wall was also seem to be hit by a magic scorched in aftermath of it.

“Oh, hi there mom.” greeting her normally like nothing was wrong, with a brilliant smile.

She took a step appearing instantly besides him.

Holding his cheek and check up on him.

“are you fine? What happened here?” 

“mom, I'm fine, don't worry about it.” touching her hands which was checking him, searching for any trace of harm or pain, he give a reassuring smile, seething with true and pure delight which was rarely found on him.

“I made a success and combined wind and water to from a new attribute of magic, mother.” he announced with a blissful face, showing how pleased he was with what he had accomplished.

“hmm? What is it? Is it cause of you and wall ending up like this?” pointing at him and wall, reminding him of outcome of magic he used besides the success itself he achieved, with a silver of worry in tone she used.

“That's right mom, I used water and wind to create cloud and artificially recreate lightning I've seen before, it failed many times but I finally did it today.” he explained what he was busy with for actually two months in brief manner, like it was something trivial.

“well done son, I'm proud of you.” caressing his hair, her eyes showed what she said and what she felt in her heart was one and the same.

“but now it is time to go for new year celebration, so we have to work on your appearance a bit.”

“Right, that was near, I'd totally forgot it, so cleaning here up then I'll …”

“leave it, I'll have someone to do it, it's not necessary to do it yourself” interrupting his word, she brought him away. 

As they went out, trimming his hair and donning him with ceremonial clothing, they prepared for a new year to come, unaware of surprise it would bring.

0