Chapter 21: shadow inside the city
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A little while back when beautiful, rainbow colored lightning soared to heaven, inside city two eyes were glued to its remnants.

“astonishing, such a breath taking display for a child.” 

The magic might like just a colorful show off without any substance to untrained eye, but for a veteran, they would see its depth and would surely go crazy over it, so before any unexpected event she had to make move.

admiring the beauty of magic she saw, she moved from public square of aqua vein city.

This woman wasn't taking a glance at crowd around her and people didn't seem to notice her either.

Her clothing were extravagant, with a mature body and charming countenance, at any place she went she would garner attention of all but now everyone was passing her like she was invisible.

Passing by, she started to make her way towards mansion.

In certain distance she paused, looking at mansion with apprehension.

“tch, that old man is sure dangerous and doesn't seem to plan on leaving.” clicking her tongue in annoyance, she felt clear dangerous air from mansion, Alan presence was threat to her, so she couldn't just jump into hell willingly.

She surveyed the neighborhood like she was looking for something.

In the end her eyes landed on a certain man. 

He had no redeeming features, a plain man you could find anywhere, sitting on ground alone at this time of year, his gaze was fixated to distant sky without a shred of vigilance.

but he had certain quality in her eye, licking her lip with delight she began moving towards him.

Even when she reached him, he didn't turned around, simply not noticing her.

“excuse me, young man, can you help me find a certain place?” Her graceful voice seemed like soothing melody, as it made young man body to tremble and look up to her.

When he made eye contact with her, he seemed lost for few seconds, just staring at her without saying a word.

“excuse me, are you all right, young man?” an inquiry mixed of concern for young man and vigilance towards his unnatural state.

“ah, sorry.” giving an apology as he got up and patted off dust on his pants.

“pardon me for my disrespectful act, but suddenly seeing a beautiful lady such as yourself, took my breath for a second.”  although he was talking with her normally, his eyes moved downward.

Flowing like river, silky smooth long red colored hair, two red pupils resembling bewitching rose in paradise, lovely lips which held a smile making his worry flow away from his heart and little lower two snowy mountain and gap between them which could be seen cause of her revealing cloth.

“it seems your breath hasn't returned, yet” throwing a sentence rich in meaning at him brought him out of his absent-minded state.

“Yes, it is as you say, not returned and doesn't seem to plan to return either” giving some light slap to himself, he tried to shake off the feeling.

“All right, you said you wanted to find a place, right? where do you want to go?” using best smile he could put on, he looked at her, forcefully keeping his eye at her face.

Putting her finger on her jaw, with thoughtful expression, trying hard to remember something.

“…an Inn, they said, but I don't remember the name.” 

“Inn, you say? There are 4 Inn in aqua vein city.” he started thinking about Inns in city.

Two in west of city, for commoners and normal merchant, peaceful night and dreamy sea mist.

Golden goose feather in north of city which was for accommodation of high class noble and merchants.

And last in south, for shady business and ruffians of city, crow nest.

(considering her appearance and get-up, she is most likely is after the one in north) reaching a conclusion based on her outlooks, he planned to take her there.

“if I'm not mistaken it should be inn in north district, golden goose feather, I'll lead you there.”

“Thank you very much, but I won't take your time.” granting him a flourishing of her petal-like lips, she started to move away.

When her elegant picturesque features left his sight, he was left in sense of loss, his heart tightened in pain.

He didn't understand it, they had just met, he still didn't even knew her name, but her leaving him was akin to ripping his heart to pieces.

“allow me to escort you to there, I can't let a lady be alone in an unfamiliar city.” he made up an excuses and followed her.

Each step he took the calmer his heart became, no longer in pain, what left was bliss and happiness alone.

He couldn't see her face, if he could he would see a devilish smile that would made him fall more, but same smile could cause boundless terror in many strong man. 

Turning back to face him, her expression became guarded.

“although you're a good man, but a lone woman like me, how can I trust you? Who knows what you might do to me?” Her wary word were appropriate for her circumstances and shouldn't be surprising for young man.

But word she uttered, stabbed his soul and filled it with gloom, he felt a persistent unwillingness to let her go.

So he racked his brain, seeking a way to obtain her trust.

As way to earn time, he introduced himself, hoping that she had heard his name.

“erm, although it is a little late, but I'm Kane, a rather famous adventurer of aqua vein city.” As he finished he presented his guild card to prove his identity.

He wasn't an unknown man for most inside the city, a B-rank adventurer who participated in city and road border monster purgation, he was going mostly by name ' Little Sword ', which he didn't like to call himself that.

“Oh, you're the famous Little Sword, why didn't say so from beginning. Though I don't know much about this city, your name is one of few I remember.” her amazement was put on display, a glint of admiration in her eyes was so obvious that Kane could easily read it.

And for first time in his 10 year of being adventurer he felt extremely pleased and proud of his, distasteful nickname.

From his belt he took out two rusted short sword. His signature weapon, red rust on it wasn't from time or negligence in maintenance, it was their unique characteristics, [rust of decay] which could weaken anything it touched.

“now that you know who I'm, can I accompany you to there?” with expectations written all over his features, he waited for her response as he sheathed his swords.

“mm, alright, how can I reject a gentleman's good will?” her softened voice and her friendly gaze felt like best gift that this new year had gifted him.

“great, you can follow me and be sure nothing will happen to you.” straightening his back he walked ahead of her.

Some few steps and he halted and look at her.

“look at my forgetful head, can I ask your name now?”

As she gracefully stepped in his tracks.

Their faces become close to point of just inches away.

Though he was surprised of his actions outcome and felt embarrassed, he wasn't a juvenile to become red to ear and enjoyed the close up view.

“I'm Ramona Mores, from Mores merchant family which is based in capital.” Her humble tone was helping not a bit to lessen his shock after hearing it.

“that Mores you mean? The one who hold most commercial right in whole empire, and are famous for magic crystal business monopoly?” he was shaken to core, his trembling voice couldn't hide his surprise.

Mores wasn't just any commercial company, it was one of three biggest, and upon that they had risen to glory without relying on nobles. 

From simple merchant to having wealth nearly equal to imperial family, they'd relied on no external backing.

Their control over circulation of magic crystal in entire empire, cause their connection to grow day by day, but they remained independent till today, allowing no external interference.

“fufu, so you're quite well-informed, yes it's as you say.” holding a hand over her mouth she laughed pridefully.

He couldn't help but to marvel at her every action, he didn't know why, but any of her movement sent his heat aflutter.

After getting to know each other, they began moving towards their destination, in the way Kane stole some side glances at her, which although she noticed, her response was only a warm smile.

Moving in main street, they passed the crowd.

It was early in night and with it being the new year festival, most road were crowded and cramped with people.

They tried to make their way to north of city but most alleys were already closed.

As they continued they arrived at place they wanted in about 2 hours.

“thank you for your help.” as she had reached her destination with charming smile she bade him farewell “I guess this where we part, take care of yourself Mr.Kane and goodbye.”

This farewell left a bitter taste in his mouth, he was heartbroken a while ago, now he neither clearly remembered what even made him like that nor he wished for it.

What he wanted was for this beautiful picture of her, to be burned in his memory and never be erased.

“goodbye…” only a weak, sad voice all he could give at their short meeting end.

He dragged his feet, which felt extremely weak, trying to leave the place, but like a marionette trapped by strings, he couldn't move away from there.

It was like someone who entered a place for something but couldn't recall what it was.

Around a minute, something happened, it was nothing good but he felt blessed over the misfortune.

“hehe, and here we are saying farewell, sadly it seems that golden goose feather was completely reserved and we couldn't take a place here. I have to bother you again to take me to other Inn in city, if you aren't busy or waiting for someone.

Her word carried a hidden meaning that oblivious man infront of her either didn't notice or didn't care.

With a smile that was resembling a child innocent joy he replied.

“no I wasn't busy or anything, I'll gladly take you to your destination.”

As he pointed to west, he lead the way.

When they began to move, her voice suddenly reached him.

“ermm, can I ask you something?” her initiating a conversation was something he craved for.

“what is it? You can ask me anything you like!”

“fufu, then I will, although it might be private matter but I meant to ask, why were your mood seemed so sorrowful and leaden? If something is bothering you and I can help, pray tell.”

Her voice transmitted her heartfelt sadness and her desire to help him.

At this question he was silenced.

A few seconds later, his body shook.

When she asked him, his memory rushed back to him, throwing him from his paradise to a corner of hell.

“I'm sorry.” Her clear voice and her delicate hand on his back calmed his body and mind.

“I was a little curious about it, but it seems that I was inconsiderate.”

“no” shaking his head as he brought it up, he denied her self blame.

“it's nothing big, just I'd a break up with my partners.” although he said it causally, it was burning him from within.

She was his one of his party members, he had been in love with her from way back in his teenage, but in the end, their journey was a short one.

“it was quite a laughable story, I thought we're in a mutual understanding but she said ' I was a useless fool who couldn't understand her '. How could I understand you, if you don't help me to? Who can be aware of others heart?” As he moved forward he grumbled about his condition.

Ramona patiently listened to his rumbling, she nodded and approved his words.

“in the end, I figured out what was wrong but it was already too late, she loved him and I was ignorant of it, then she said it in my face as they kick me out.” his voice turning louder and louder, each word caused his apparent animosity to grow, overriding his reason.

As he was lost in his rage, he didn't even noticed that he have entered a side alley that no one was present there.

A sudden soft sensation in his back made him even more confused.

“w-what a-are doing ms. Mores?” he couldn't comprehend what had happened and his composure was in pieces.

“my thoughtless inquiry caused you harm, so take this as an apology.” hugging him, sadness in her voice was rivaling his own.

This out of place and unexpected comfort was beyond his wildest imagination, he didn't thought in a sad night such as this an angel would save his soul.

He dropped his head, lifting heavy feeling from his heart. 

He could feel his sadness slowly seeping away, it was such a vivid sensation, like it was physically leaving his body.

As it ended, so did his reasoning.

Two canine teeth which were dugged into his neck, sucking his blood out.

“ah, such delicious taste, I have to thank you, you were such a good find at this time.” As Ramona savored his taste, he stood up like a lifeless doll.

His empty eye could see, but he didn't recognized a thing, his mouth hanged open, dripping saliva didn't show a shred intelligence on him, he let out a low growl like those of hungry beast.

“hee …hee…grrr…” this inhuman state didn't surprised her a bit as she just looked at man with bemusement.

“you pitiful things are very vulnerable when you feel sad, if you were a little more vigilant, you would have noticed the charm being used on you, sadly you're just a blood puppet now, not dead but not alive either. Tell me how does it feel to be stuck in limbo? Is it amusing? ”

“grrr …” in her response only a bark like sounds was all he could give.

“Oh, I forgot you couldn't talk.”

Ramona gazed him up and down and gave a ruthless evaluation “hm, you're so-so, but even your meager strength should help a little, and it's better that you aren't actually ' Little '.”

Her lustful and crazed look fell on man but he wasn't noticing a thing. 

“that son of a bitch, he say I should hold back? Don't make a move you say? Go fuck yourself, I'll have him no matter what or who is going to stop me.” As she spewed her distaste at her superior who ordered her to stand back, she scratched her hand holding Kane's chin.

“you better entertain me or else, you won't even be able to die if you wish it.” she had to wait until Alan left, so till then she needed a place to stay and something to keep her from losing control, an outlet in other word.

“you have home here, right?”

In response to her, he only woodenly nodded.

“good, bring me there.”

And so a she slowly devised a plan to take what she wanted, what she desired.

As they wanted to leave the alley a red haze enveloped both of them, in their way no one looked at them.

1