Chapter 29: Sea Dragon spirit (1)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Years had passed but the young boy hadn't changed much, as usual he spent time only on his researches.

On library's table, dozens of different was piled up, their theme varied, but most had to with medical knowledge and magic, rest was consisted of history, politics, finance and mathematics.

A boy sat besides these book with a calm face, holding a book and read it in silence. The look he had didn't resembled child of his age, his father had chose him as successor, as measure to not let him down, he sought knowledge and intellect as a form of prowess.

Even as he made such choice, he never gave up on his magic growth, but no time was left for physical exercise. As on hand held book, other was building up winds, lifting up already finished book and returning them to the bookcase which they originally belonged to. In this way he'd merged study and training, when he ran out of mana he could take short rest and resume.

He'd discovered detail about herbs and potion which could increase mana, inside a book, cultivating them inside garden himself, he'd found them ineffective. In the end he gifted them to Carolina, as they weren't that good on Simon. Within what he'd learned only [Natural Awakening] was what left for him, if it ever happened.

Finishing his reading and feeling pretty low on mana, he used what was left to return all book at once. Such was his way too force himself to lower the consumption of his magic and precise execution of it. 

“hm, it's a success…”

As books floated around and returned to their place, he made a satisfied smile and closed his eyes to rest.

“what a fine control.”

Zeth commented standing on the corner. He'd came to tell Samuel that he has been summoned by his father, but watching the display he had forgot why he had came over and as Samuel fell asleep, he went out and returned with a blanket. But when Zeth reached five step away from him, Samuel's eyes opened up instantly and looked at him.

“…!!!”

“oh, it's you Zeth. Had something came up?” Samuel asked him as he made a relieved sigh.

Zeth only stood still and looked at him, consternated at what he had witnessed. He as an assassin naturally produced little sound as he walked, but seemingly asleep Samuel had detected him with ease, something which is disgrace in Zeth's profession.

“…your father have summoned you to the courtyard for an important business and required you to be present there in a quarter hour.”

“all right, I'll go there immediately.”

saying so he moved out.

“…em, are you not going to rest?For your mana recovery I mean.”

Zeth asked with a bit of remorse in interrupting his rest. 

“thanks for your concern but i don't think father needs me for a magic demonstration, so that is not needed.”

As he left the library, he first went to his room along with Zeth.

“stay here a bit Zeth, I've something to do.”

Asking Zeth to remain out, he went in.

Inside, he looked for the note book he'd hid in a safe within the wall. when he retrieved what he wanted he returned the cover to it's place.

Leaving his room, he gaze fell on immediate room.

“…has brother yet to return?”

he inquired about his brother from Zeth. Simon had moved out two days ago, for usual training in city's vicinity.

Monster living near human's habitation must be hunted regularly, dwindling their numbers to prevent birth of high level monster birth and for civilian's safety was a necessity. This was a responsibility of a ruler, whether they were powerful warrior or magician and take on task themselves or employed the adventurer to do job.

In Arion's territory, both option were used. Emma took on this task from governor side, as James was busy with management works. This time around Simon and Carolina had accompanied her, to earn battle experience and level up. Sadly Samuel couldn't go with them as he was ordered to stay, his grandfather had some special deal for him and he had to remain.

“not yet, young master. they'll be back by tonight or tomorrow.” Zeth replied.

“good.” he nodded and whispered to himself “…they'll get here before I leave.”

It wasn't really easy for him to leave his home, so at least he wanted a proper goodbye before he left.

Moving through corridor, he cleared out his thoughts. 

Reaching mansion's courtyard, he sees a group of six people. James, Alan, William, Mother Marie and two demi-human of rabbit race.

“oh you came earlier than I thought Samuel.” James said abruptly.

Samuel made a formal bow and greeted them first. “greeting grandfather, father, I've come as you requested.”

Samuel respected both of them from bottom of his heart, as such he put their words before all.

“as serious as always, you haven't changed much boy.” Alan mused and pointed toward demi-human sibling. “you know them boy?”

“I do, grandfather.” Samuel responded swiftly.

He knew them as he was the reason their presence in aqua vein city. With attempt of his abduction happening, his father had their territory reinforced with units from Eden island, not only city but entire region were now under protection by the demi-human such as them although not overtly.

This two were separate from rest because they weren't fighting units rather…

“…they're healing expert.”

Asa and Maeve were exceptional healers, but still it didn't mean they were weak in fights, rather with self-healing defeating them in short time was extremely hard. 

After saying it, Samuel found their gathering quite unusual, three healer in one place, what it could mean was easy to guess. 

“…do we have a gravely injured person or…they've gathered to prevent someone from getting injured, grandfather?”

Alan made an amiable smile, looking at his grandchild and said “which one do you think?”

“…latter.”

“wise child.”

With Alan compliment, it was clear why they'd assembled here.

“is there anything I should do?” Samuel asked, preparing for what they would say.

“nothing much, just relax and stay there.” Alan said while pointing a little forward propels him to stand there.

“and whatever happened, don't be afraid, stand strong.” he added.

As Samuel stood where they asked, James stepped forward and spoke to Alan.

“are we really doing this?” his tone was by no mean calm and nervousness could be clearly sensed from it.

“do you doubt my decision?”Alan returned his question unhurriedly and confidently.

“no, I don't doubt you but…” glancing at his son with obvious worry he continued.“ I can't just put my son at mercy of that thing… that…both of us had seen it once, remember?”

“I know, but trust me, he is going to be just fine.”

Although James didn't understood were did Alan had got his confidence from, but he could feel the old man absolute belief on the matter. And he couldn't continue debating it with Alan as he seemed unshakeable on this matter.

On other side James fear wasn't unfounded either, he had witnessed his grandfather trying to become owner this heirloom and what had befell on the man. Despite being a warrior unlike Alan and James, and a near transcendental level of 900, he had his body wrecked and fell on deathbed, which he struggled on and survived but never returned to peak again.

“don't worry father, I can do it.” Samuel said, wanting to appease his father's concern which he perceived.

he wasn't fully aware of what they had planned but if something could help him grow stronger, he was eager to try even if it carried risks, since it was still better than helplessness.

“see? The boy himself says so, what else is left for you to say James, let us get this done.” Alan said, and addressed demi-human sibling and the butler.“Asa, Maeve and William take your positions, the rest back down.”

As everyone followed his order, James, William and himself encircled around Samuel, the siblings a bit behind them and last two further away.

Seeing everyone ready, Alan take out an object from ring he wore. It was a small shiny orb in sea-blue color.

“hold this Samuel and inject a bit of your mana in it when I tell you.” Alan said as he sent the orb gliding toward Samuel.

Taking a hold over the object, he felt pulse on his finger tips.

Hm? This is a living thing?

It felt like beating heart to him, beating gently, neither fast nor slow, a peaceful rhythmic beating, as if it was a little pet bird sleeping in its owner hands.

Is this really dangerous like father said?

he couldn't bring himself to believe it, there was no hostile or threatening aura in it, not by a tiny bit, even the pressure which powerful creature normally emitted from themselves was absence on it.

 As he examined the orb by himself three overlapped barrier had encompassed him within, one was dark and faint but solid, same as bluish one nears it and last one was colorless yet robust and fortified.

“everything in place you can begin now, but remember only a bit.”Alan said.

“okay, here we go.”

He sent a tiny bit of his mana into the orb, which only resulted on richer glow from it.

Eh? Was it insufficient?

Thinking it wasn't enough to activate it, he wanted to add some just to stop himself before doing it because of sudden force being released from the orb.

A powerful aura with a dense mist spread out hitting barriers from within and blocking the view from outside.

“damn it, this happened in the end…” James said as he neared the barrier to enter it.

“wait, that won't work.” Alan warned him.

James didn't had any plan to listen to him as he touched barrier planning to use his own's to break the other two but he found his connection with the barrier cut off. It was now controlled by another entity not themselves.

Gathering his mana to his palm, he planned to crack them open from outside. A wild power condensed upon his palm as multi-layered magic circle formed upon his hand.

“Ocean's Spear.”

Releasing the formed magic instantly, it slammed upon barrier, opening a hole in it.

But James didn't move forward, instead his steps was halted and he leapt backward, creating a shield to protect himself.

From fissure created by his own attacks, sharp scales was thrown out like arrows, aiming at him. Defending against the first batch didn't ended the job as the scales was tied by firm threads which seemed to be created out cartilage or tendon, spreading out the scale attacked him from all sides.

“…Scale Whips, just like it was recorded in manual, very powerful.” Alan said as he pushed them back helping James in overcoming them.

Fissure created by James slowly patched itself up and the whips retracted themselves.

“you knew this yet still did it, what you have to say father?” James asked and looked him, incensed at what Alan had done.

“Asa.”

Instead of answering he called the rabbit race man.

“yes, island master. Duke Arion, please be at ease, your son's life isn't in any danger as his vital sign sensed by us are completely stable and unharmed.” Asa replied calmly, informing James of Samuel's safety.

“so what? it changes nothing, he's still stuck with that in there.”

that won't harm him, not in slightest, this I bet my life on it.”

while James was forced to stay out and couldn't change anything about it, on the inside Samuel saw mist grow thick and could barely see his own hands.

Looking around he found nothing, and after initial force being released nothing happened.

“why do you seek to obtain me kid?”

A heavy voice speak with him from the mist feeling both near and afar.

“who are you?”

“what?! you don't even know me yet you attempt to conquer me?” 

The voice sounded both angry and amazed at Samuel's question.

The mist's shape contorted and take the form of creature's head.

With skin clad in scales, rows of gigantic sharp teeth, two big vertical pupils and a majestic aura, it looked down, on a boy who stood in his presence.

“I am Pontus, once a ruler of oceans, remember that name kid and never dare to forget it.” he introduced himself pridefully.

“now, do you've anything to say before I finish you?”

“I do, I've read about you, you're the Sea Dragon killed by Edward, my ancestor, and had created a weapon out of you, didn't thought that you still lived and in this form, a soul attached to a weapon.” Samuel calmly said what he knew, enraging the spirit.

“how dare you?!!” shouting in rage, Scales shot toward Samuel.

Samuel didn't budged from his position and just kept his eye contact with the spirit.

Scales stabbed the ground around him but none hit him.

“are you done? or maybe there's still some left?” Samuel asked him provokingly.

“you…you…you think I cannot kill you?”

“you indeed can, but let us be honest with each other, if you wanted to do so, you would've already done so, not wasting your, time and power on me.”

A weapon spirit was only for Mythical weapons, but even if they were extremely powerful, they didn't possessed unlimited mana to operate. although soul can regenerate mana even with their body, like what ghost and phantom were able to do, for Mythical weapon it was way slower and also…

“…you've sustained heavy damage in battle, so your recovering is even slower than similar artifact, so why waste it to show me this appearance, create this mist for a mysterious atmosphere and converse with me while you could do it in first moment?”

This artifact or equipment set which Edward had made out of Pontus, was consist of a sword and full armor, but in his battle with Siren, body part and helm had been shattered, leaving the artifact incomplete, thus lowering power and recovery rate and with no owner for 10000 years, not much of it reserves was left for it, making expenditure it made for this act highly illogical.

“Hmph, I did so, cause liked to…”

“just excuses, even when you grew enraged and wanted to kill me, your projectiles deviated from their original path, avoiding me clearly, or do you've something to say for that as well?” Samuel cut his word off and revealed more.

“ugh, you damn weakling dare to mock me?!!” Pontus sounded vexed and responding to his anger, countless Scale Whip walloped around, hitting ground and barrier viciously and leaving scare behind.

But even in this berserk state, none of strikes head toward Samuel further ensuring him of his thoughts.

“you either are incapable of killing directly as you're masterless or for some reason you can't harm me. Personally I say it is the latter but what's the reason? I don't know and don't care.” shrugging his shoulder his gaze showed a greedy gleam as he look at the dragon like an object to earn, as it was and said “I only care if you can grant me power or not, that's all there is to it.”

The actual reason was orb which he held, after years Alan had found a way to tame this creature but he had no choice besides giving it to Samuel. All violent act was but fluke, trying to intimidate him into letting the object fall from his hands.

But for Samuel his grandfather words was nothing short of  divine, he had told him to not be afraid whatever happened, and he did. Standing against this behemoth would fill anyone with fear, he challenged it with his wit and not his minimal strength

Taking a sigh spirit looked at him with curiosity and asked with a half given up tone.

“all right, let's say you're right about all this, what do you plan to do with my power? why do you want it?what ambition do you hold?”

Why did he desired power? why did he coveted this artifact after knowing what it was? ambition he had in life? the answer was easy for him.

“…to not be a burden, to not cry for my weak self, to not be protected all the time, to fulfill my father expectations, to stand on with dignity, to help people that I hold dear…”  

He poured his heart out, some resentment he held for many, some jealousy that he always felt, he let all out.

“…to think his descendant have grown this weak, with just you, it'll take years to catch up to a level of using me, really, what I'm supposed to do till then? from where I am going to get enough mana from? just leave it and return when your above level 500 or so.”

As such he gave his term, conditionally accepting to become his, but there was one problem with them.

“I can't level up.”

“wait,what?” his voice come out confused at response he got.

“I said i can't level up.”

“are you fucking with me? you're a weakling for life and want use me? am I some convenient toy in your eyes?”

This time the dragon felt like this was a trial of patience or torment of hell he was undergoing. he couldn't harm the boy and there was something on the boy which had attracted his attention.

(what is this mana?why is it so pure? it's very similar to us, like he is one of noble dragons even more purer than myself.)

“then how should we do this? are you going to reject me?” Samuel said with a wicked snicker.“nah, you won't as you're still keeping the conversation on, so this mean you want something form me? Say it, we might reach an agreement that satisfy us both.”

“ha, a lowly one like you want to make a deal with me? you're too subpar to make a bargain with me.”

The spirit tried to hide his desire over ray of hope he had found. Samuel was weak and subpar but his mana had unusual property, which Julie had felt before. In standpoint of human it'd no difference with other just not showing any of it owner emotion, but for the dragon difference was plain and obvious, it was pure to an unusual degree. If he could store up a huge amount his mana, he might even reform his body and return to his kingdom, but alas it was all a futile dream for him.

He asked him level 500 as base so that he could still overpower him, but when he heard his inability to level up he was depressed equally or even more than Samuel himself.

“you sure, Pontus, it's such shame, but it seems you've made your decision, then I won't bother you any longer, whatever with you or without you, I'm going to reach what I want in future, it was nice knowing you while it lasted.” Samuel made a bitter smile and moved toward barrier, seemingly given up on trying to make a deal with the dragon.

He hadn't given up but couldn't show himself overeager. what he wanted to do was to test the waters. If this Dragon wanted something from him then he would make a move if not then it would leave him go.

0