Chapter 42: Guildmasters [MOON]
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 42: Guildmasters [MOON]

I opened my eyes. Where.. where am I? The first thing I saw in front of me was a huge hole on what looked like a roof of a house. I looked around and saw rubbles around me. I tried to stand up but my whole body was aching. I’m.. alive? How? I am certain that I flew some distance away from the castle and from the looks of it, landed on someone’s house. But there was no way that my body and bones could survive the impact. I raised my left hand to rub my forehead but I saw that it was glowing with purple fire. Did I.. unconsciously casted Rend on myself before I crashed landed? I’m amazed that I can do that. Either way, I’m still alive and so is the Queen. I will only rest when either of us are dead.

 

To the owner of this house, I am sorry and I will compensate for your roof. Alrighty, let’s do a body check-up. Other than the pain, nothing appears to be broken. My painkiller potion will help out before I start fighting later. Seeing as my Rend cloak had disappeared, I must had been unconscious for more than ten minutes. Never knew I had such reflexes while being unconscious. I’m not some martial artist that is capable of doing that in the first place.

 

Alright, next up, situation check. How far am I from the castle? I walked out of the house through a window as the door was locked. W… what? I’m outside of the city? Just how far did I flew? It is going to take hours before I can make it back to the city even if I were run the whole way through. Let me think, c’mon think! There has to be a faster way to make it back to the castle!

 

As I started walking while pondering a better way to reach the city, something appeared in front of me. Or more like, summoned? Huh? It was spectral in nature and semi-transparent while glowing with a whitish blue hue. I.. don’t remember having any spell that can summon a spectral steed. What is going on?

 

“Hello, boy,” said the steed.

 

“K… Kirin? Is.. that you?” I asked the steed as I was confused.

 

“Yes boy. Hop on as we don’t have time to lose. That Demon Queen is going to pay for trying to kill my host,” said Kirin.

 

“H.. hold on. You can exist in this world along with Inazuma? Since when can you do that? I thought you chose to exist as Inazuma over your real body. And.. you looked different. Where’s your horn?” I asked genuinely.

 

“This is just my spectral self. And to avoid questions I took on the appearance of a common horsette. If you wish to ride a real Kirin then be my guest in answering those questions when commoners starts asking,” he warned me.

 

“Alright I get it. Let me get on top of you. Wait, there is no saddle! How am I going to climb up in the first place?” I asked Kirin.

 

“Geez, come here boy,” said Kirin as he sat down to lower his body.

 

I know I am short but without a saddle it is even more difficult to climb a horsette. I hope my family jewel will be fine after this ride.

 

“Sit down and stay still boy. Grab my hair if you need to,” said Kirin as he started galloping towards the city with great speed.

 

Sigh. Wished there was a pretty lady wearing a hood offering me a Honda Accord instead. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosers. Thankfully I am able to ride on Kirin to the city. Will definitely be quicker than me running all the way. Hmm, why didn’t he offered me this before?

 

“Kirin, did something changed? Is there a reason as to why you did not offer me this before?” I asked him.

 

“Something changed in you when you lost consciousness earlier. Somehow, I was able to take control of your body partially while also giving you more access to my powers,” he explained.

 

“W.. wait, you were the one who casted Rend for me? I thought my hands moved by itself while I was unconscious. Haha!” I laughed loudly.

 

“In your dream perhaps,” said Kirin.

 

“Are you.. making a joke? The great Kirin is making a joke?!” I was shocked by his remark.

 

“I did not!” he shouted while blushing a little.

 

“Wait wait.. so does this mean that Byakko is able to manifest his spectral too?! I want to ride on a tiger!” I asked Kirin with eyes sparkling.

 

“You will not! You can only ride me and me alone!” shouted Kirin.

 

We continued our chatter while riding towards the city. A good way to calm myself before facing the Queen again. I will not hold back this time. Only two more times to cast Rend which equals to 20 minutes. Hopefully I can finish the fight before Rend runs out.

 

***

 

Things are not looking good. We cannot defeat this captain on our own. While we are able to fend off his attacks, we just cannot aim for the weak point which is the brain. The Demon Queen kept moving the blood to protect his head. Rose and I were bleeding in several places but thankfully none of it looked fatal.

 

The blood moved extremely quickly and attacked at angles that you would not expect. On top of that, the captain is getting even more aggressive now. Fending off two attacks at random interval and angles are seriously difficult. Not to mention that bloody shield can extend the thorns out of nowhere. Even with Rose’s speed, we just couldn’t find a way to push through. Damn it!

 

Rose’s Sacred Wings had worn off by now. She is still using her Fa Jin Zhòu which is useful but pointless if we cannot make contact with the captain. I was panting right now and so is Rose. This fight had gone on for too long. Is there no support coming to help us? John and the Elementalist had not defeated that imposter? What about Zen? Are you really dead? No, don’t think about this right now, Lily. Don’t make yourself emotional right now.

 

The captain seemed to read my emotion and charged over to attack me. I readied myself for his swing until I heard Rose screaming “Watch out!”. I was confused as to why Rose shouted that until I felt pain on my right feet. I looked down and saw thorns piercing through my boots. The blood had flowed underneath my foot without me even realising it. Now I am rooted here with no way to dodge the incoming attack. I can only block his attack.

 

The captain swapped to his shield instead and more thorns started protruding from the shield to pierce me. I cannot block that! Shit, I am going to die from the impact and thorns from the shield. Zen, I might be coming to see you sooner than I expected.

 

I can see the thorns literally a few inches in front of my eyes now when I heard something smashed from above. A dark figure covered in black cloak dropped down from above and slashed through the thorns which caused it to liquify. The figure then gave a kick on the shield which pushed the captain back. No, that is not right. This is not Zen.

 

Another figure dropped from above and this one was wearing white. I can sort of guess who these two figures are. The Dark and Paladin Lord is here to help us. Talk about reinforcements.

 

“Well done, Rose. If you hadn’t casted that spell, we would still be running around like a headless jikenette,” said the Paladin Lord.

 

“Ojii-san, you’re finally here.” replied Rose with a hint of relief in her voice.

 

“Tend to your wounds, we’ll take it from here,” ordered the Dark Lord.

 

I punched the thorns that pierced my boots. The blood liquified immediately after separating from the thorns. I pulled out my foot and gosh it hurts. I limped towards both of the guildmasters but they told me to stand-down and tend to my wounds. Rose came over to help me as I suspected that she needed to rest as well. A quick bandage and pick-up is all we can afford here before we need to help the guildmasters against the captain.

 

The Dark Lord turned to look at me and mouthed something to me. He said something very softly but I heard it. He is asking us to attack the Demon Queen directly after we had tended to our wounds. Seems like the both of them will be keeping the captain distracted while we fight the Queen.

 

Rose removed my boots gently while I pulled out my handkerchief and bit on it. Rose took out her healing cream and looked at me. I can see sweat running down her forehead as she looked at me with concern. I nodded to her giving my approval to apply the cream. She exhaled loudly and began applying the cream. I started screaming while biting the handkerchief. The smell of my skin and flesh being seared is horrible. For small wounds, this effect might be just some minor pain at most. But my flesh was pierced through and the cream is doing it’s best to close my wound to prevent me from bleeding out. Rose had to apply the cream on both sides. By the time she was done, I felt light headed from the pain. Even though the wound is no longer bleeding, it still hurts to move.

 

Rose told me to just sit here while she fight the Queen. I told her not a chance and that it is suicide to fight alone. I took out a flask and drank its content. I shook my head after taking a swig of it. What I drank was elven wine which had high alcohol content. That should wake me up and power through the pain. Rose had done applying the healing cream on herself and drank something which looked like water. I doubt she will be drinking alcohol when she is so weak to it. She then took out a cloth and wiped it on her rapier. That must be the wax to prevent demons from healing quickly.

 

“Ready?” she asked me while smiling at me.

 

“Ready” I told her while returning her smile. She seemed to have calmed herself. Perhaps deep down she somehow knew that Zen is still alive? She always had faith in him. Rose always pushed me to be with Zen but deep down I felt that she is better choice for him than I can ever be. I hope Zen makes the right choice and chooses her.

 

The both of us walked towards the Queen. The captain tried to stop us from going closer but both guildmasters were keeping him tied up. We stood in-front of the Queen and glared at her while she remained seated at her throne cross-legged.

 

***

 

Things are chaotic here. The Dragon Lord is trying to separate us so that he can attack us individually. I am doing my best to rush over to help the Elementalist whenever the Dragon Lord attacks him by throwing my axe and teleporting. The Elementalist does the same in protecting me when the Dragon Lord charges to attack me. The both of us are doing whatever we can to fend off his attacks. His speed is definitely inhuman. I know that my agility stats are low but I have seen Zen in action. The Dragon Lord’s speed defies physics. What did he do to gain this unholy powers? Did he sold his soul to the Queen or something?

 

“Something is not right here. His powers defies convention means,” I whispered to the Elementalist.

 

“Indeed, his powers are abnormal. Almost like… a demon,” explained the Elementalist.

 

“What? That is not possible. Are you saying he is a demon in disguised?” I asked hastily.

 

“Doubtful, if he really is a demon then his wound would had healed by now. But he is still bleeding albeit less than earlier. Perhaps he has demon blood running in his veins,” said the Elementalist.

 

“Are you saying he injected himself with demon blood? How does that even work? Last I recall, our “investigation” was a failure. The host completely rejected the blood and perished. Did the Dragon Lord made a breakthrough somehow?” I questioned the Elementalist.

 

“I do not know. But judging by his inhuman strength and speed, it would be safe to assume that he had succeeded in assimilating himself with demon blood. Apprehending him would be in our best interest to further in our… “experiment”,” said the Elementalist.

 

“Then we will need a plan to apprehend him,” I said.

 

Easier said than done but we were able to come out with a quick plan somehow. The Dragon Lord charged towards the Elementalist but I stood in his way. He swung his halberd at me but I deflected it. I might be thinking things but he seems to be fixated on fighting the Elementalist more than me. I wonder why though. He dashed away trying to get closer to the Elementalist but I used Taunt on him with a “Yo mama is fat,” remark. I did not know whether it would actually work on someone who is using Higher State of Mind but somehow it did. Or perhaps the Dragon Lord had lost his rationality. He seems to be driven by Bloodlust alone.

 

He leaped at me intending to swing his halberd down on me. I anticipated it and I enlarged my axe to it’s maximum size. The Dragon Lord was shocked and took a defensive stance instead but he was still falling my way. I swung my legendary axe hard with a roar. It broke his halberd and sent him flying.

 

Upon landing, he tried to get up but the Elementalist slammed his palm on his forehead and casted a spell. Ice was forming around his body until it completely immobilised him. He struggled to break free but to no avail. We caught him. We actually did it.

 

***

 

“How long has it been since we teamed up together? It felt like ages ago,” I asked.

 

“Certainly a long time. Eyes focused. This “captain” is dangerous,” said the Dark Lord.

 

“You do not need to remind me, lad. I am aware of the strength of this captain. I am amazed that the both Rose and Lily lasted this long with the Queen helping. Well, what do you know, turns out she is a Demon. A sexy seductive one at that,” I said as I admired on the Queen.

 

“Are you.. admiring her? She is an abomination that must be eliminated. All these chaos and the condition of the City Of Pines that we had been living in is because of this demon. Not to mention we were serving her for years,” spat the Dark Lord.

 

“Admire your enemy for their strength and beauty. In doing so, you can smite them with fury. That is what I learned over the years. There is a story to everyone even though they are your enemies. Respect them as they respect you in battle,” I informed him.

 

“I doubt the captain is interested in your story nor is he going to respect you talking,” said the Dark Lord as the captain started charging at us.

 

We dodged from the captain’s attack. The bloody shield that he had earlier had disappeared. It seemed like the Queen will have a lot on her hands facing Lily and my prized pupil. Both of them are going to be formidable opponents for the Queen. Truth be told, all four of them are. I wonder where did the Dark Lord’s prized pupil went?

 

“Youngsters always interrupt their elders when they are talking. The rudeness of this generation,” I sighed.

 

“I get the feeling that this captain is much older than you,” chuckled the Dark Lord. How long has it been since I heard him chuckle.

 

Alright, no more fooling around. This captain is going to be a tough nut to crack. I summoned my mace with a flick of my right hand. My blunt weapon is going to break his armour quite nicely. Here he comes.

 

The Dark Lord faced the captain. Seems like he remembered our old tactics. The both of them are similar in size. The Dark Lord had a bulky body in the first place and his armour enhances it. Of course it is not just for show as his armour saved his life a couple of times. But his straight sword is going to have a problem in breaking through the heavy armour of the captain. No time to dawdle, time to cast Light Blessing.

 

The both of them continued to swing their swords at each other offensively and defensively. I’ve finished casting Light Blessing and proceeded to cast Fa Jin Zhòu on my mace. It is my favourite spell which enhances my blunt weapon’s effectiveness even further. I was surprised that Rose had already learned how to use it. She is really a prodigy to be able to cast Revelation and Fa Jin Zhòu after just receiving the book a few days ago. She is going to be stronger than me if she becomes the next Paladin Lord.

 

I rushed to join the Dark Lord in his fight. I might look like a frail old man but I have plenty of combat experience in my time. Let’s see how this captain fares against fighting two guildmasters. The captain did an overhead swing which the Dark Lord blocked easily. I leaped out from behind and took a swing at his helmet. He leaped back before my mace hit the helmet. Nice reflexes and it seemed as though he does not get fatigue at all despite moving around with those armour and greatsword.

 

The captain rushed in again to attack us. The Dark Lord took a quick glance at me and I nodded. We rushed in to meet the captain head-on. The captain swung his greatsword two-handed in an attempt to gut us in half. The Dark Lord blocked his attack and I swung my mace to the captain’s right thigh. Our tactics is to make use of our body size to our advantage. The Dark Lord aims high while I aim low. And we always strike together giving our opponent no time to react.

 

The captain lost balance and fell to the ground. We went in for another strike but he rolled away quickly and stood up. His right thigh armour was smashed in and he was bleeding. The captain shrugged off the wounds and came in for an attack again. No doubt if the captain was a demon it wouldn’t be affected by all these flesh wounds. But Fa Jin Zhòu does not cause flesh wound. My mace breaks the armour and flesh while Fa Jin Zhòu destroys the cells and bones. To be honest I am surprised that the captain can stand up so quickly.

 

We continued our attacks until the captain’s armour broke apart revealing what was inside. It was certainly a demon inside but fused to the armour. A part of the armour was dangling from the fused flesh. It was as though his skin no longer recognises his body as his own without the armour. The demon tore off the dangling armour and roared in fury. Steams can be seen coming out from his helmet and we can see red glowing eyes from the inside. Oh boy, things are going to be difficult from here.

0