8. 5-circle mage
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the party moved through the tunnel, nearing their destination, the flow of mana grew denser, enveloping them in an increasingly potent energy. The mana was remarkably pure and robust, captivating everyone's senses. Lord marveled at the unprecedented purity of this mana, his keen perception attuned to its extraordinary qualities.

"What's this? I have never felt such mana before. It's exceptionally pure and strong," Lord pondered aloud, his voice echoing in the cavernous tunnel.

The realization struck him, and he considered, "Is this because of that weapon?"

The idea that the concentrated mana might be linked to the mysterious relic intrigued him. Driven by curiosity, Lord closed his eyes and extended his senses to absorb this pure mana, reaching out to grasp the intense energy surrounding them. However, just as he attempted to do so, a sudden obstacle thwarted his efforts, leaving him in suspense. The enchanting aura of the dense mana continued to weave an air of mystery around the approaching destination.

As Lord failed in his attempt to absorb the mana, he was startled by a sudden burst of power from behind. Turning around, he anticipated an ambush, only to be astonished by the revelation that Derik had successfully formed a new circle. The young lad, once a 4-circle mage, had now ascended to the level of a 5-circle mage. The entire party, comprising mages of various ranks, found themselves in a state of bewilderment and envy.

Confusion swept through the ranks of the mages as they struggled to comprehend how a mere 9-year-old had achieved the formation of a fifth circle around his heart. Whispers of astonishment rippled through the group, mingled with a tinge of jealousy. Derik's remarkable feat defied conventional expectations, leaving the mages in awe of the unprecedented magical prowess he displayed at such a young age.

The more Lord grappled with his failed attempt to absorb the elusive mana, the more Derik seemed enveloped in its effortless embrace, absorbing it at an astonishing pace. Perplexed by the phenomenon, Lord, unable to fathom the mysteries at play, strode purposefully toward Derik, his frustration and bewilderment etched across his face. With a swift and determined motion, he seized Derik's collar, demanding answers with a mix of desperation and impatience.

"How? How are you absorbing that mana?" The Lord's sords cut through the air, carrying both frustration and a tinge of jealousy.

Caught off guard by Lord's sudden aggression, Derik found himself at a loss for words. The unintentional absorption of mana, coupled with his unexpected ascent to the 5th circle, left him utterly bewildered.

"I don't know," he stammered, attempting to articulate the inexplicable transformation that had taken hold of him.

Infuriated by the lack of clarity, Lord accused Derik of concealing the truth. His grip on Derik's collar tightened, a physical manifestation of his frustration.

"Ah, so now you are hiding it from your master," the Lord seethed, his voice laced with a potent mix of anger and suspicion. "

Just as Erick was about to intervene, a sudden and powerful whisper filled the air, shocking everyone and bringing them to their knees. The unexpected turn of events left the party in a state of both awe and uncertainty as they grappled with the unfolding mysteries within the dark confines of the tunnel.

The whisper echoed so loudly that it left everyone in the party struggling, covering their ears in an attempt to shield themselves from the overwhelming sound. Erick, in an effort to assess the condition of the group, opened his eyes only to be stunned by what he witnessed. Amidst the chaos, Derik stood alone, seemingly unaffected by the deafening noise.

Lord, keenly observant, noticed the same extraordinary occurrence with Derik. The young mage, standing amidst the escalating whispers, seemed to be favored by the mysterious voice.

As the voice intensified, the Lord took decisive action, chanting an incantation to erect a powerful shield and drown out the deafening noise. However, to his shock and dismay, the high-level shield he conjured was shattered within seconds by the relentless force of the voice, leaving the party exposed and vulnerable to the overwhelming resonance.

The overwhelming whispers filled Derik's senses, and he found himself caught in the midst of a mysterious force. As the voices resonated, he couldn't shake the feeling that there was a deeper message within them. The voice, echoing with a profound sense of sadness and distress, struck a chord within Derik, leaving him perplexed and concerned.

"Ah, what is she trying to say?" Derik wondered, his thoughts swirling amidst the chaotic whispers.

The hauntingly sorrowful tone of the voice added to his sense of unease, prompting him to search for answers. As Derik grappled with the meaning of the voice, a sudden shout from the Lord snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Do something, you scoundrel!" The Lord's commanding voice pierced through the chaotic whispers.

Derik looked around, dismayed to see the entire party on the floor, hands desperately covering their ears and blood trickling from them.

Reacting swiftly, Derik rushed towards Erick, bending down to cast a shield in an attempt to block out the haunting voice. The sudden departure from his disciplined stance and loyalty to the Lord shocked the latter, who felt a sense of betrayal. However, the Lord's astonishment grew when he saw that Derik's shield remained intact despite the force of the voice. Attempting to replicate the shield, the Lord cast it again, only to have it shattered by the relentless power of the haunting voice.

As Derik cast the shield around Erick, a wave of relief washed over him. He turned towards Derik and asked in confusion, "How are you unaffected by that voice?"

"I don't know," replied the puzzled Derik.

"It's okay; we can find out the reason some other time. But can you help them?" Erick replied, pointing towards the struggling members.

Derik nodded and quickly cast a spell to quell the haunting and dangerous voice, which brought a mixed sense of relief and lingering fear to the beleaguered party. As Derik finished chanting the shield incantation, he felt a sudden grip around his neck and found the Lord lifting him off the ground.

"What are you? What the hell are you?" Lord demanded, strangling Derik.

In the midst of the questioning, the sound of a sword being unsheathed reached the Lord's ears, and the next moment, a blade was pressed against his neck.

Erick's menacing aura enveloped the scene as he shouted, "Leave the kid, Lord."

Erick drawing his sword towards him caused Lord to lose his cool. He threw Derik on the ground and looked towards Erick.

"I quit," Lord replied in a calm yet thunderous tone. The Lord's declaration echoed through the cavern, causing a roar among the members.

A veteran swordsman, his face etched with concern, stepped forward to the Lord and said in a serious tone, "Lord, you're the linchpin for our mission's success. We cannot afford to lose you."

Beside him, another mage, equally solemn, supported the swordsman, adding, "Erick, quickly apologize to the Lord."

Erick, caught off guard, opened his mouth to speak, but before any words escaped, the Lord's stern voice cut through the tension.

"Either I continue or him," he declared in a commanding tone, his eyes scanning the faces of the party.

"The choice rests with you all."

As the members grappled with the weight of the decision, the princess, sensing the brewing discord, stepped forward. Her authoritative presence commanded attention.

"Lord, are you challenging the king's decision?" She questioned me with a hint of threat in her voice.

Lord, meeting her gaze with sharp eyes, affirmed, "My loyalty lies with the royal family, not with him. I step down until he relinquishes the leadership," making a resolute announcement that left the cavern in a charged silence.

Erick sensed the unease spreading among the party, and recognizing Lord's crucial role in the mission, he made the difficult choice to swallow his pride. Stepping forward, he attempted to ease the tension with an apology, saying, "Alright, I am sorry." However, Lord remained unmoved, insisting on Erick's face.

"It's either I lead or quit. Now, you decide."

Caught in a dilemma, Erick hesitated, fully aware of the Lord's importance. Entrusting him with the leadership role posed a challenge due to the prevailing lack of trust.

Witnessing Erick's indecision, Lord, with a resigned tone, acknowledged, "I understand," and turned to leave. Erick's voice, however, halted him.

"Alright, you can be the leader," Erick declared, clenching his fist. Understanding the potential consequences of losing the Lord, Erick prioritized his kingdom over personal pride, making a challenging decision to maintain the unity of their mission.

The Lord's smile briefly transformed into a grin before the princess intervened, her pride not allowing her husband to apologize. Fueled by a potent mix of royal duty and personal affront, she couldn't tolerate any compromise on her family's dignity. Stepping forward, she declared,

"For disobeying the king's father's command, for threatening his leader, and for endangering the princess's husband. I, the Princess of the Kingdom of Eldoria, hereby strip Lord from his royal magician position and order his arrest as a scoundrel going against the royal family."

Erick attempted to intervene, sensing the severity of the situation, but Princess Aurora swiftly cut him off. In a commanding tone, she directed, "Knight Erick, arrest the traitor immediately. If he resists, kill him."

The Lord couldn't tolerate the insult from the princess. His eyes flared with anger, and his face contorted with rage. In a burst of fury, he shouted, "You will pay for insulting me, you wench!" Before anyone could react, he harnessed the power of a transportation spell, vanishing in an instant and leaving everyone stunned.

0