3: Lion 5: The Sequel
72 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lions' portal cut through the warm summer air lingering above the strawberry battlefield. From it, Lion emerged, gliding gracefully through the air like a bird in flight.

The Heretic was less graceful, tightly gripping Lion's mane as he flailed behind him. Upon landing he lost his grip and rolled through the field, coating him in a sticky strawberry jam. He leapt up and swung his flail in a wide arc around him as he felt himself assailed by several small creatures.

Butterflies, attracted to the sweet nectar, descended upon him in swarms.

Brushing away his assailants, the Heretic took a deep breath. A familiar, sweet aroma washed through him, putting him at ease.

Scattered across the overgrown field were countless weapons. Some were fit for mortal hands; many more were suited only for the fusions—giants who dominated the battlefields of the war for heaven and earth—who no man could ever hope to best in battle. No, only another fusion could hope to match such strength. But something was different about the field. There was no trace of the battles fought mere days ago, many of the weapons were missing, and the remains of his regiment were absent from the field.

He turned around and faced the lion which was sitting calmly before him. "Why did you bring me here? How long has it been!?" The Heretic shouted.

Lion offered only an innocent gaze in response before yawning and then chasing after a stray butterfly.

Realizing he was yelling at a lion, the Heretic restrained himself and redirected his attention to the mystery at hand. Where were his comrades? He gave it a moment of thought before finding he could not remember, so he ran, for there was nothing else he could do but run, run and search for any sign from Rose that could aid him. Everything in the field was familiar, but nothing was the same. He dropped to his knees in frustration and begun to dig until he pushed past the untamed growth of the field and his hands met the earth. He dug until his fingers bled and then dug some more. On the verge of giving up, his thumb brushed against something metallic, ripping it out from the ground he held a familiar blue and white striped helmet—the helm of a warp navigator. A skull was left resting in the ground—the pink hue of the bone was proof enough this was once a member of Rose's immortal legion.

He remembered this helmet, and he remembered the battle he fought here only three days ago when . . . he saw the corrupting light. He begun to remember it clear as a dream. Blue. Yellow. White. Those were the colors that pierced the night sky, that twisted the minds and bodies of the Gems, his comrades, his Gods. 

*****

5,053 years prior — The Advent of the Corrupting Light.

The Paladin found a brief moment of reprieve as he watched the armies of home world retreat to their ships—for once it was the Gempire who turned their backs and fled. It was a fleeting feeling of relief spurred on by the cheers of the Crystal Gems as they celebrated victory against their oppressors.

In this moment of triumph, he embraced Marianne as they shared a feeling hope for what they believed was the new beginning they had fought so many centuries for. He brushed her short pink hair aside and gazed into her sparkling blue eyes as she reached for his helmet.

In an instant he found himself blinded by a light so bright it brought him to his knees, stunning him in its raw power. He whispered a silent prayer to Rose, a plea for her protection. It all happened so fast he could not begin to process the course of events which had just transpired.

Once the light dissipated, the Crystal Gems began to change. Men—still stunned by the light— stood helpless as their Gem comrades cried out in agony as their bodies twisted and deformed, spikes erupting along their backs and limbs, human projections turning feral, and their cries for help fading to a deafening silence.

In a matter of seconds, the transformations stopped, and the corrupted Gems turned their gazes to their former followers. The soldiers stood silently still before the defiled forms of their friends and masters. 

Cheers of victory turned to cries of terror as the inhuman beasts lashed out at them in a maelstrom of death and destruction, the bloodshed souring the sweet and tender aroma of the strawberry field.  

He found himself unable to move as his masters, his Gods turned against him. What sin had he committed to condemn his men to such a fate? He gripped his flail, wanting to fight, but how could he bring himself to strike at his Gods—such an act would be nothing short of heresy

Before he could decide, the Paladin found himself pulled to his feet by a knight in a blue and white striped helmet. "Paladin, what do we do?" the man asked him as the world fell apart around them.

*****

"Daubeny, my friend, I'm sorry," the Heretic whispered as he placed the warp navigator's helm back into the earth.

How long have I been gone? The Heretic asked himself, looking around at all that had changed. It was yet another question he could not answer. He struggled to remember what had happened after that, and he couldn't remember why Garnet and Pearl had sealed him away, but it didn't matter right now. He needed to find Nora and make sure she was safe. He turned back around and began sprinting back to where he had arrived. The Lion was his only lead right now, and he needed his help. He did not know why he had saved him, but he had no one else he could trust.

Lion was laying in the same spot he was left. As the Heretic approached, he raised his head and looked patiently toward him.

"Listen, I don't know if you understand me and I don't know why you helped me, but right now you're my only hope. I'm looking for a young girl who was travelling with me, and I'm struggling to piece together my own mind," the Heretic asked Lion as he pat the sides of Lion's face. When the Lion did not react, he let out one last plea. "Please, I need to know that at least Nora is still safe." Suddenly, Lion stood up, prompted by one his words perhaps. He was unsure of his intentions, but the Heretic quickly mounted the kind beast. Before he could figure out where to grip, Lion bolted off and let out a ferocious roar which opened another portal.

Entering was like pushing through a thin pool of water which dropped him in a tunnel of pure light. It was like the warp, only untamed. He tightly gripped Lion's mane as he struggled to hold on amidst the immense speed, watching as the portal rapidly came to a close around them.

Another flash of light and he was back in the air, except he was wet and somewhere entirely new. Before he could orient himself, he collided with the floor, his armor screeching as he slid across a moist stone road before slowly coming to a stop.

"That's quite a bit more difficult than warp travel," the Heretic grunted, the rain pattering upon his gleaming armor as he slowly rose. Lion stared back at him, looking glum in the rain. "Can't say I've ever seen a pink Lion, but it looks like you and me got that in common." he waved a pink hand at the beast. He noticed the black streaks along his arm, rubbing the veins as he struggled to remember anything. "You must be Rose's," he said with a half-hearted laugh.

Lion scurried off to frolic in the rain.

The Heretic looked at his unfamiliar surroundings. Two structures stood before him, one large and one small. The large had a glowing sign sat atop it which read: "It's A Wash" and seemed to depict an unarmored war elephant. The small one stood directly in front the other and similarly had wording on the side: "Mr. Universe," the structure read. He was perplexed by its many doors and small size. "Why did you bring me here, friend?" He asked, watching as Lion walked over to the small structure and began climbing it, or pawing it? He was not sure, but he figured it must be important.

"Why did you bring me here, friend?" He asked, watching as Lion walked over to the small structure and began climbing it, or pawing it? He was not sure, but he figured it must be important

As he investigated the structure, Lion had successfully climbed atop and began stomping his feet. The beasts' antics set off a blaring sound which sent him into a panic as he looked around for enemies. The sound would undoubtedly attract any nearby corrupted Gems. Instead, one of the doors swung open to reveal a large, bearded man.

"Who goes there? I got a waffle iron!" the man shouted, his eyes meeting the Heretic. "Um, can I help you . . . sir?"

Lion leaped down from atop the vehicle, startling the man who fell backwards into the structure.

"Lion!? You nearly scared the last of the hair off my head," the man said as he looked back towards the Heretic. "And who's your buddy here? A friend of the Gems?"

"I am. . .," the Heretic began, but he hesitated to speak. What was he to tell the man, that he was a heretic? He would never get help like that. He looked up at the man who was nervously awaiting his response. "I am a friend of Rose Quartz, and I have come seeking your aid."

"Rose?" the man asked solemnly. "Excuse me, where are my manners, I think I should have some by now," he said with a laugh. "Please come in and we can talk out of the rain, unless you wanna stay in the rain."

The Heretic looked around at the open fields and opted for the limited security of the small structure. He struggled to fit inside, needing to sit hunched over to keep his head from hitting the roof.

The combined weight of the trio caused the vehicle to creek and shift, prompting a concerned look from the man. "I'm sure that's fine," he said.

The interior was filled with a wide variety of garments and other strange objects the Heretic could not identify. Once inside Lion violently shook, splashing water everywhere vehicle before he laid down in a pile of clothes.

"Agh, gross. Not sure what else I expected from a wild animal," the man said jokingly. "Anyway, I'm Greg. I don't think I caught your name?" Greg inquired, extending his hand toward the Heretic.

His name? The Paladin thought about it for a moment. His mind was still hazy as he struggled to recall such a simple thing. He may not have heard the sound of his own name for centuries, but surely it was not something he could forget. He slowly reached his hand out to Greg and gripped his hand tight, not realizing his own strength. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, sir Greg. You can just call me Paladin, or buddy if you prefer."

Greg flinched as his hands made an ominous cracking sound. "Sir? There's no need for that" Greg responded, rubbing his hand. "So, um . . . Paladin, you said you needed some help. I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I'm certain my son, Steven and the—"

"I apologize for interrupting, but might I ask you if we're safe here?" The Paladin asked as he nervously peered out the rear window. "How have the corrupted not found you?"

"Corrupted? Are you talking about some gem related business? Cause the gems told me not to get involved in magic stuff," Greg said as he raised his hands beside him to express his innocence.

The Paladin whipped his head to face Greg. "You know the gems?" He asked with a sense of urgency.

"Of course I do. My son, Steven, is one of the crystal gems. Have you not met them yet? They're always mixed into all sorts of magic gem stuff," Greg replied as he cracked open a can with a cherry on the side and took a swig from it.

The Paladin thought back to when he emerged from his prison. The young boy with the star shirt and pink coat. Could that have been who he was talking about? The Paladin was getting sidetracked by his thoughts. I need to stay focused, he thought. While the Lion seemed to trust this man, he could not if bore any connection to Garnet and Pearl. "I can't say that I have, Greg," the Paladin said calmly. "You see, I'm looking for one of my companions. A squire of Pearl's errantry. Her name is Nora."

Greg choked on his drink and set it aside. "Nora?" Greg asked, surprised.

"Do you know her?" The Paladin desperately asked.

"No, no, I'm sorry. I don't know any Nora's. I was just surprised was all," Greg replied.

"Surprised?"

"Well, you see, before my son was born," Greg began, rubbing the back of his neck. "Me and Rose had said we would name our child Nora if it turned out to be a girl. But-"

"Rose has a child!?" The Paladin exclaimed, jumping up and hitting his head against the ceiling. "Where is she now!? Maybe she can still help me."

Greg's face shifted to a frown as he turned his eyes away. "Rose is gone. When my son—Steven was born she gave up her physical form so that he could live. Her gem was given to him and with it all of her burdens," Greg's said as his dour voice trailed off.

The room fell quiet. Only the sound of rain against metal keeping the void of silence at bay. Rose was gone and she left behind a child? Was such a thing even possible? The boy, he must have at least been a squire's age, if not older. Had he truly been gone that long? But maybe there was still a chance Nora was alright. He needed to be sure, he needed to do it for her.

Finally, the Paladin spoke up. "Sir Greg, I need your help. I don't know how much time has passed, but I need to find out what happened to Nora, and I don't know where else to look. The Lion brought me to you, so you must be the key," he pressed further.

Greg looked at the Paladin with somber eyes. "I think the best place to start is with the Crystal Gems. I heard they were goin on some trip and would be gone a few hours. We can wait for them at the beach house. If not Steven, then surely Garnet, Pearl, or—"

"No!" the Paladin shouted as he slammed his fist into the wall behind him. Pulling his hand from the dented metal, he looked to Greg who had gone quiet. "I'm sorry, I didn't . . ." He took a deep breath before continuing. "It's just, this is urgent. Do you know any other Gems who could help?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. I'm sure someone down at little home world would be happy to help you. I heard some of them are pretty old, so they probably know all sorts of things I don't," Greg explained. "Climb in front and I'll take you right now. This old van has still got some life in her." Van? The Paladin wondered as Greg pushed some junk aside and crawled towards the front of the structure.

The Paladin followed behind and tried to make himself comfortable in the chair beside him, but his head hit the ceiling. The weight shifted in the vehicle again levelling out as Lion sat in the back. Once they were situated, Greg started the van and started down the road.

Somehow the structure was moving at a pace faster than any horse he had ever ridden. Must be some sort of Gem tech, he thought.

The pair sat in silence for a while before the Paladin spoke up. "I'm sorry about your van. I'll help you fix it if you'd like," he offered.

"This old thing? Ehh don't worry about it. If every Porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs," Greg said wih a nervous laugh. "The gems have done far worse to it, and it always comes through," Greg cheerfully added before frowning after thinking about it for a moment. "Ooh boy," he whispered.

"Your a kind man, sir Greg. I can see why Rose liked you," the Paladin said, his words nearly a whisper.

"You know what'll lighten the mood? Some tunes," Greg perked up. "Mind grabbing one of the CD's from the dash and poppin it in the radio?" Greg said as he pointed towards a pile of CD's stashed in a compartment in front of him.

CD? Radio? I have no idea what he's talking about, he thought. The Paladin sifted through a pile of junk in front of him where something caught his eye. A strange box seemed to depict the van they were riding in with what looked to be a younger image of Greg on the front. After fiddling with the box, it eventually dropped a small disc that he inserted into the machine Greg had pointed at.

"Umm, maybe not that one," Greg attempted to reach out and stop the Paladin, but the CD had already been inserted.

The Paladin listened as the device begun playing a musical tone when Greg's voice suddenly entered into the mix. "I know I'm not that tall. I know I'm not that smart. But let me drive my van into your heart. Let me drive my van into your heart!"

The Paladin looked over at Greg, but his mouth was not moving despite hearing his voice. "You really love this van, don't you?" the Paladin asked.

Greg blushed out of embarrassment. "Oh, well it's not really about the van so much as it is about—you know what, how about we just listen to the song for a bit."

Driving in silence the Paladin watched through the window as they passed a small beachside town. Not a single wall or defense in sight. Were things truly safe? Sergeant Dewey would have loved it here, he thought. The poor fool always wanted to take his family and live out life on a beach. The Paladin wondered what fate befell his other companions.

"We're here," Greg said, pulling the Paladin out of his thoughts. "Welcome to little home world. Man, this place just gets bigger every time I see it."

They pushed further in, past some gates that led into the town, but the roads were empty.

"Schools closed cause it's the weekend, so a lot of the gems might be out travelling, but there are a pair who live here I'm hoping are still here," Greg noted. They turned a corner where two gems could be seen in the distance playing in the rain. "Perfect, just the gems I was looking for."

The Paladin struggled to make out the two through the thin slits in his great helm, but as they approached, he noticed a distinct blue gem. He ducked down and froze in terror. He could almost feel his heart beat again as butterflies fluttered in his stomach. It was a Lapis Lazuli—a water witch.

1