An Important Guest
40 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the bright blue sky illuminating the vast grassland with a cool breeze, there was a flock of sheep eating grass, and a few tens of meters away, there was a boy laying under a tree.

Without caring about anything, someone was approaching that boy and screaming.

"Shatian... Mo Shatian!".

"Hey, are you listening to me, Shatian?"

Someone is calling the sleeping boy.

Mo Shatian, who was sleeping, suddenly woke up because someone was calling his name. Opening his eyes, what appeared in his sight was a young girl with a delicate and beautiful face, waist-length brown hair with a bang covering her forehead, and a pair of colored hazel eyes that stared at him.

Overall, the girl was pretty when compared to other girls her age.

The boy, called Mo Shatian, was startled. "Huh. What are you doing here?"

"I can't believe... Are you asleep?" The girl seemed surprised to find Mo Shatian sleeping when he had to look after the sheep.

Mo Shatian finally got up to look at her from the same height and said, "Sorry. Today's weather is nice. I didn't realize I'm falling asleep while lying down for a while."

Mo Shatian is a boy with dark black hair and emerald eyes, wearing black clothes. His sharp features and fair skin gave him the impression of a handsome young man, but when compared to boys his age, he was only slightly handsome—not too handsome, but not too ordinary either.

Finally, Mo Shatian had a good look at the person who was calling him. She is a young girl wearing light blue clothes. Without a doubt, if the entire village were asked who the most beautiful girl was, then the answer would be the girl in front of him right now. The girl's name is Xiao Lin.

Mo Shatian asked her, "What brings you here, Xiao Lin?"

"I came to inform you that someone has come to the village from outside." Xiao Lin said it excitedly.

"Are you sure he came from outside?" Mo Shatian said with a surprise expression.

"Yes, he came from outside, and dad said he was an important guest. Right now, they are talking at home."

This is the first time someone has come to this village since I was born. I wonder what kind of person comes to a remote village like this.

Mo Shatian was very surprised by someone coming to a village like Xiao Village.

Xiao Village is located at the foot of Misty Mountain. The peak of the mountain always produces fog, no matter the weather or season. No one in the village knows why, as it has been forbidden to go near it since the village was founded. That's why the mountain is called Misty Mountain.

"Then... What are you trying to do by telling me all of this, Xiao Lin?" Mo Shatian knew there was no way she would come to meet him; just tell him that.

"Aren't you curious what they are talking about?"

"No, I'm at work, and also, can't you check that with your father?"

"He won't tell me!" Xiao Lin said it in a sullen tone.

"If so, that means something very important that can't even be discussed with his beloved daughter."

"I guess so... So, when are you going to finish herding the sheep?" Xiao Lin asked with an irritated expression when she heard the word "beloved" from Mo Shatian.

"Alright, let's go back because it's already afternoon."

Mo Shatian went towards the flock of sheep to herd and then returned to the village.

"Okay!" Xiao Lin followed behind.

 

***

 

Xiao Village is a remote village located around the foot of the Misty Mountain. Xiao Village has a population of about 100 people. The main occupations of the people of Xiao Village are farming, gardening, mining, and hunting. Xiao Village was founded by Xiao Ming, who is the ancestor of Xiao Ling, who is currently the chief of Xiao Village.

Arriving at the village, Mo Shatian immediately brought the sheep back to the farm. After finishing, he went straight to the village chief's house with Xiao Lin to collect the payment for his work today.

The only payment system in this village was by using a strange, lustrous stone that was mined in a cave around the village area. Upon first receiving it, Mo Shatian thought, 'Why would this village use a strange stone like this as a medium of exchange instead of using precious metals such as gold, silver, or the like that are used outside the village, as Uncle Ling told me?'

Xiao Ling, as the chief of Xiao Village, sometimes goes outside the village once or twice a year to fulfill needs that are not available in the village. He always brings about a dozen people with him, but he never once took the children with him.

When Mo Shatian and Xiao Lin headed to the village chief's house, they saw the village chief from a distance wearing black clothes with long hair tied in a ponytail the same color as his black eyes and a handsome face that had not lost its freshmen in his late thirties.

Really, I'm curious about the secret of his youth... Well, even though I know that the average population of this village looks young.

Mo Shatian finally noticed someone standing beside Xiao Ling.

He looks like an old man with long white hair and a long beard left to flow in the wind. His body, which couldn't fight against age, had a few wrinkles on his face, but his clear and sharp eyes didn't look like someone who was already in his sixties or so. Wearing a long, dark gray robe gave him an aura that was hard to ignore.

Mo Shatian arrived at the wooden but very sturdy-looking village chief's house together with Xiao Lin and said, "Uncle Ling, I've finished herding sheep today."

"Good job. It looks like you came back earlier than usual. Is it because of Xiao Lin?" Asked Xiao Ling while looking at his daughter.

Mo Shatian, who heard that, just smiled and laughed a little because what Xiao Ling said was true and he didn't know what to answer, or perhaps he had no reason to explain it.

He knew Xiao Lin would not let him go until he agreed.

Seeing Mo Shatian's expression, Xiao Ling couldn't help but sigh, "It's fine... As I always say, you don't have to force yourself." He continued, "Today we have an important guest from outside of the village. He will be staying here with us from now on. I hope you can help him if there is anything he needs." While looking at the elder standing beside him.

"From now on, I'll be living here, so I might trouble you all if there's anything I can't do. Please just call me Elder." The elder said it in a gentle voice while smiling at Mo Shatian and Xiao Lin.

Mo Shatian was amazed by Elder's aura and politeness as he introduced himself.

Perhaps without both of them realizing it, Mo Shatian and Xiao Lin answered loudly and nervously while bowing their heads, "Y-Yes!"

They didn't know how to behave as this was the first time anyone had come to the village, especially since he was the village chief's important guest, and he gave off an impression that was hard to resist.

Xiao Ling handed Mo Shatian five sparkling stones and said, "This is your payment for today. I and Elder will go see the other villagers."

"Thank you, Uncle Ling. I'll excuse myself then." Mo Shatian accepted the stone and bid farewell to Xiao Ling, Xiao Lin, and Elder before leaving.

 

***

 

Seeing Mo Shatian leave from behind, Xiao Lin apparently decides to enter the house and bid farewell to the remaining people.

Once it was just the two of them, Elder began to speak.

"Is that child named Mo Shatian the child you spoke of earlier?"

Xiao Lin nodded and said, "Yes, he's an orphan. He lost his mother a year ago when he was thirteen, and now he lives alone; that's why I decided to take care of him."

He added, "He was a good, honest, and hardworking boy. But he always tried to do things on his own. When I told him that he could stay with us, he refused my invitation. Good grief... He's too much of a burden on himself; it's because of his nature that I was forced to give him the job of herding sheep."

The elder nodded and said, "Yes, I can see that the boy has qualifications and talent, but just to be sure, I will take a closer look."

While they were talking about the boy, Xiao Ling recalled their previous conversation.

 

***

 

This was several hours before Mo Shatian and Xiao Lin arrived in the village.

"Elder Ji—"

The village chief's voice could be heard from inside the room. This was Xiao Ling's private room, where the village chief welcomed his important guest.

"Don't say my name... Just call me Elder." A slightly hoarse yet gentle voice came from the other person. "My life has reached its end... I hope my name will also disappear with me. So, it would be best to address me as an elder."

Xiao Ling, who heard about it, was a little hesitant, but in the end, he accepted his request.

Since he had accepted his request even though he was a little hesitant, he gathered the courage in himself and asked, "What about them...?"

Elder, who seemed to understand what he meant, replied, "Don't worry about it. I used almost all the magic tools and spiritual essence I had to get away from them."

He was silent for a few moments before continuing, "And it took three to five years for them to track me down. I also not only strengthened but also extended the range of the barrier surrounding this village using my remaining spiritual essence."

Hearing Elder's words, Xiao Ling became slightly relieved, yet he was still worried that they could track down someone as powerful as him.

"I understand. If there is anything Elder needs, please do not hesitate to tell me."

Upon hearing his words, it seemed that Elder was not as reluctant to express his wish, as he immediately shared his wish.

"There's one thing I've wanted since my life was nearing its end."

"If I may... Elder, please tell me what exactly you want?" Xiao Ling said it a little nervously for fear that it was a difficult request to fulfill.

Elder, who saw Xiao Ling saying this nervously and worriedly, began to smile and chuckle slightly as if trying to calm him down.

"You don't need to worry. This is not something difficult... Actually, it is something very simple. Hmm... I guess it depends on each person. Because not everyone can do it."

There was a look of confusion on Xiao Ling's face, and Elder explained what he meant by that.

"I want a successor. A successor who will carry on all the techniques as well as my wishes."

This time he said it while looking out the window, as if remembering his past.

"I have lived for a long time, long enough to be compared to the average human. However, when I knew the end of my life was near, I thought a lot about my existence. I realized that I had left behind nothing that was proof of me. Proof of my existence."

He continued, "Just as living beings leave offspring to prove that they are still alive, deep down I realized that I also wanted to leave something behind. But unfortunately, I have passed the time for me to leave descendants. The only way for me is to pass on my techniques, but also my values and aspirations."

Power comes with responsibility.

A person who wields power freely without knowing its value is extremely dangerous.

"I just want a disciple."

Xiao Ling looked at Elder with a surprised expression on his face.

"For someone as powerful as you, I didn't expect that you would have such an ordinary wish." Xiao Ling said subconsciously.

Elder simply snorted, "Of course, this is natural for living beings."

"Every beginning will inevitably meet its end, and life is no exception. That's why death is a great prophecy for the living!"

Xiao Ling heard it in silence and astonishment, as if trying to understand its meaning.

There was silence for a few moments before Xiao Ling decided to speak. "I understand, but I don't know if I can do it or not."

Xiao Ling, who finally understood his request, knew that this was not only an easy request but also very difficult for him.

Elder simply smiled and replied, "I know... But thank you for listening to this old man's request."

Regardless of whether Xiao Ling can do it or not, it seems that Elder is grateful for listening to his request.

Elder sighed, "Unfortunately, there aren't many places I can go because almost every cultivator in the entire world knows about me. In the end, this place is the only place where they can hardly find me."

"Of course, for someone like me, it's almost impossible to be found once I really decide to hide. Putting aside what kind of people are after me, there's no way they would let me go free after what I've done. They will make sure that I truly die with their own two eyes." Elder ended his talk.

A crushing silence enveloped the room, with no one making a sound except for everyone's breathing.

Xiao Ling might not know all the details or circumstances of the Elder, but he had heard many rumors about him.

And what was most surprising was that all the rumors he had heard were truly incredible—incredible enough for Xiao Ling himself to believe that they were all just nonsense.

Xiao Ling himself couldn't know the truth of the rumors he heard, nor did he dare to verify them in person, even if the person in question was in front of him. But there wasn't the slightest doubt about his existence, so it wasn't surprising at all if he mentioned that almost all cultivators knew about him.

"I thank you from the bottom of my heart for not only listening to my request but also allowing me to stay here. Therefore, I would like you to really think about what will happen and decide what is best for this village as the village chief." Elder said after a few seconds that it felt like an eternity.

After hearing the elder's word, Xiao Ling fell silent in his reverie.

"I will talk about this with the other villagers. We still have about three years to prepare; this may sound sudden and unreasonable to them, but I'm sure they will accept it to repay what you have done to our ancestors and also to this village." Xiao Ling spoke with determination.

"After all that has been said, without your help for my ancestors and everyone else, this village would never exist. Therefore, let's return the favor to you in exchange for our ancestors."

Elder was slightly surprised by what Xiao Ling said: "I never remember doing anything that makes me worth mentioning."

Xiao Ling smiled at the elder's words.

"I'm sure it's not up to you to decide whether what you did to our ancestors was worth it or not. Maybe it wasn't something great or extraordinary to you, but I'm sure it wasn't to my ancestors or others. That's why, to this day, what our ancestors have done is still being passed down to our generation."

This was what Xiao Ling believed in, and he believed that everyone shared the same opinion as him.

"Since I've already decided on this, why don't we talk about other matters?"

Xiao Ling immediately talked about Elder's request, as he knew they did not have much time.

"Almost everyone in this village is a cultivator, and those who are not are either children or those who do not have the qualifications. The only one who has qualifications but hasn't become a cultivator is Mo Shatian. He was an orphan, and I was the one who took care of him, but until now I still haven't discussed this with him at all." Xiao Ling ended his explanation.

"Well, I'll decide to take a look around first." The elder spoke after seeming to think about what to do first. "After finding a suitable candidate, I will ask for their opinions first, because that is first and foremost. Nothing good will come from being forced."

Xiao Ling felt relieved after hearing what Elder said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1