5. Xiao Village (4)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Ling went to meet the other members along with Yan Nansu who was waiting in front of his house.

Xiao Ling could see several people gathered in front of the bridge in the north of the village, one of them who had noticed the two of them spoke, "Yo Xiao Ling, did something happen to bring you here?" While looking towards Yan Nansu, not expecting the arrival of the village chief.

"I'm sure you must be surprised to see not Zhongzhi but me, but actually I'm here because of that." Xiao Ling replied in a serious tone while looking at all the members.

"What do you mean by that?" Asked the man with hoarse voice.

"Nansu and I had just returned from Zhongzhi's house, and he wasn't there, I was worried that what I had imagined would come true."

There were confused looks on the faces of all the members who heard it.

"Do you know what happened to him? We haven't seen him since yesterday, and today I decided to ask Nansu to check into his house." Asked the man as representative of all the members present.

"I actually don't know either, but I feel like I know what he's doing now." Xiao Ling replied, with a face full of worry and anxiety.

Xiao Ling started telling the man about his conversation with Mo Zhongzhi two days ago, which was probably the last clue about him.

Xiao Ling never thought that his friend actually meant what he said, even though he himself had warned him several times. He may have thought that he had successfully persuaded his friend, but it seemed like he may have underestimated his friend a little and ended up like this.

"So that it's... I also thought it might be something he would do." The man said in a hoarse voice.

The man's name was Jie Jiu, he was the vice captain of the hunting group, he was in charge of replacing Mo Zhongzhi to lead the hunting group if the latter was absent. He was an old man who had a few wrinkles on his face. His hair that had some white streaks was neatly arranged at the back, and he was wearing gray clothes with some scratches.

"So what should we do?" Jie Jiu asked Xiao Ling for his opinion.

"Of course we will look for it, let's start by searching around the village area." Xiao Ling urged all the members of the hunting group.

***

Several hours had passed since their search around the village area, starting from the north, west, south, then east and finally they returned to the original place. They had searched every side and end of every section, but still no results or clues as to Mo Zhongzhi's whereabouts.

As the sun began to set, everyone looked tired and increasingly anxious. Realizing this, Xiao Ling decided to call off their search.

Xiao Ling still hasn't given up on the search despite the near-zero results, or perhaps you could say he can't give up when his friend's life might depend on his and the others.

With determination burning in Xiao Ling's eyes, he had prepared himself for the worst that would happen tomorrow. Tomorrow was the last day he could give before the birth of his friend's child.

"Have you decided what to do next?" Asked Jie Jiu, who saw Xiao Ling's earnestness.

"Yes. I decided that tomorrow we will go to Misty Mountain." Xiao Ling replied in a voice loud enough for everyone present to hear.

There was some murmuring and cacophony among the members of the hunting party present, all of whom started talking to each other among themselves.

Xiao Ling could hear some voices that were surprised and couldn't believe what they were hearing, there were also voices that were anxious and worried about going into a dangerous area as well as a forbidden one.

Amidst all this noise, Xiao Ling remained calm and composed, unaffected by this confusion.

"I know that some of you are confused, anxious, or worried. And I also understand very well that Misty Mountain is a dangerous and forbidden area for all of us." He said loud and clear. "But, that place is the only last clue we have to Zhongzhi's whereabouts."

At the same time that Xiao Ling started speaking, all the mumbling and whispering stopped. Without any trace of the sound from a moment ago, everyone began to focus their eyes and ears on Xiao Ling.

"Of course, even if we manage to get in, I can't guarantee that we'll be able to find him or that we'll return safely." Xiao Ling took a deep breath before continuing. "But... That doesn't mean I'll give up before trying, because to me he's my best friend and also an important part of our village."

Everyone could feel the sincerity and earnestness of what Xiao Ling said, there was weight to what he said. Everyone could tell from his expression.

He really means every word he says.

The look on his face now showed all the emotions that were painted in his heart.

"I don't want to force anyone, everyone is free to make their own decision. I know it's not an easy decision to make, but I still respect it nonetheless." And finally, "For anyone decides to come, come to this place when the sun rises tomorrow."

How could he ignore his friend so easily?

How could he give up on the promise they had made long ago?

How could he leave his friend helpless in the hands of his destiny?

There was no way Xiao Ling would let all those things happen, as long as there was still a chance for him to save his best friend.

After that, Xiao Ling dismissed everyone, there were a few people who looked like they wanted to talk to him but decided against it, realizing that Xiao Ling wanted to prepare himself.

Before starting the preparations, Xiao Ling decided to go to Mo Zhongzhi's house, because of the results he got from his search today, he realized that his current situation required him to say everything he knew.

Xiao Ling, who was on his way, had thought of all sorts of excuses and explanations he would give, but decided to ignore them all.

Although he found it difficult to say, he still thought that Mo Linsu had the right to know, since he himself didn't even know what would happen later. So he decided that this was much better than letting her hopes continue to exist without a clear certainty, and also he still owed his wife an explanation.

He walked very slowly because he never liked the news he was about to deliver, but still... even though it was slow he walked steadily.

Soon, he finally arrived in front of his best friend's house.

Xiao Ling knocked on the door and waited for someone inside to open it, preparing himself.

There was a sound from inside before the door actually opened, what flashed in his eyes was the face of his own wife, who was currently accompanying his best friend's wife.

"Huh, Ling what's going on—you seem to have something to say, don't you?" Xiao Ning said in slight surprise before her expression changed completely.

As expected, Xiao Ning would be able to easily guess him based on the look on his face. There was nothing he could hide from his wife.

"Yes... I have something to tell you two." Xiao Ling replied while looking at the other person out of the corner of his eye.

Mo Linsu, who realized that she was also included, began to join the two people who were talking, "is there anything you want to tell me?"

"Yes... I have something important to tell you in particular, Linsu." Xiao Ling said while referring to a black-haired woman.

"Is this related to Zhongzhi?"

Mo Linsu probably realized it because until now her husband still hasn't come home, and there was also the incident this morning, where Xiao Ling came to her house to find out the whereabouts of Mo Zhongzhi.

"You're right... I came here purely because of that." Xiao Ling replied directly.

Mo Linsu flinched slighty at this, perhaps she finally realized that Mo Zhongzhi's tardiness was not a coincidence, but rather there was another reason.

"I want to tell you that Zhongzhi has disappeared." Xiao Ling explained firmly.

The two people who heard the words from Xiao Ling each had different reactions and expressions from each other.

Xiao Ning, who heard this widened her eyes several times while covering her mouth showing a reaction of shock and disbelief at what she heard.

But as for Mo Linsu, she had a completely different expression, she was stunned into a frozen silence for a few moments before her entire body shook violently due to the reaction caused by the shock after hearing the news, which made her face turn pale and began to lose balance before completely collapsing like a puppet whose strings were forcibly cut.

But before Mo Linsu actually fell to the ground, Xiao Ling quickly moved to catch her.

"Linsu!"

There was a shout from Xiao Ning who hurriedly approached her.

Mo Linsu who was in Xiao Ling's arms did not move an inch, the blood drained from her face and her complexion turned pale.

Who knows what would have happened if Xiao Ling had failed to catch her when she was in the later stages of her pregnancy? There is a possibility that it would have been fatal, not only for Mo Linsu but also the baby.

"It would be better for her if we take her to bed so she can rest." Xiao Ning suggested with a worried face as she checked Mo Linsu's condition.

"Alright," Xiao Ling replied, carefully carried Mo Linsu to the bed.

Xiao Ning checked Mo Linsu's condition for a while to see if there were any problems or not.

"There nothing wrong with her body, but I think she's mentally exhausted." Said Xiao Ning, who had finished checking Mo Linsu's body condition.

"She must have been very surprised to learn that her husband disappeared at such a crucial time." Xiao Ning said, seeing Mo Linsu asleep on the bed.

"You're right," Xiao Ling replied weakly.

"She seemed very anxious and worried throughout the day."

"..."

"So... why did you still decide to say it now." There was a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"I'm really sorry..." Xiao Ling replied in a guilt-ridden voice.

There was a slight pause before Xiao Ning's voice was heard, "Is there any other reason for you to say that?"

Xiao Ning, who probably realized something from the sound and look on Xiao Ling's face decided not to continue, but instead asked the reason.

"Yes... I think it was the right decision to tell her now rather than later." Xiao Ling replied who had reached his own conclusion. "But it doesn't seem like a good choice."

"I-Is it really that bad?" Xiao Ning asked in a voice that sounded a little shaky.

Xiao Ling did not answer immediately, but instead looked at Mo Linsu who was currently asleep.

For a while, not a single sound could be heard except for the breathing of the three people in the room. The two of them just stood silently by the bed and watched Mo Linsu who was still unconscious.

"Right... We couldn't find anything around the village at all, and the only clue we have to its whereabouts is the Misty Mountain." Xiao Ling said breaking the suffocating silence.

"Misty Mountain?! How is that possible?! What exactly is he doing in that place?" Xiao Ning was shocked to hear the news before finally calming down and sighing after glancing at Mo Linsu.

Xiao Ling, who chose to be frank, finally decided to explain everything that had happened up until now.

"But...to go to Misty Mountain of all places..."

Xiao Ning, who finally found out what happened, still found it hard to believe.

Why did it have to be Misty Mountain of all places?

It was also the thing Xiao Ling wanted to know the most, he would probably get the answer if he was really serious about going there. But now was not the time to be confused or worried about where they were going, because that would only make him more hesitant.

And the most important thing was that Xiao Ling had made his own choice.

"Even so... I have decided to look for him anyway." There was a strong sense of determination in his voice.

Xiao Ning, who clearly saw and heard Xiao Ling's determination did not say anything, probably realizing that she could no longer stop him.

"That's why I want you to stay here to accompany and look after Linsu." He requested. "You are the only person I can trust at this crucial time."

"I'll do it even without you telling me to, because just like you and Zhongzhi, Linsu is also my best friend."

"That's a relief to hear," he said with a sigh. "In that case, I have nothing else to worry about."

The main purpose why Xiao Ling decided to come here instead of making preparations was to let the current situation be known. Hence, he chose to be straightforward and prepare himself for the worst.

But there was one thing he forgot to consider, and that was the fact that Mo Linsu was already entering the final days of her pregnancy, and there were even a few days left until she gave birth.

Even though he said that there was nothing to worry about, he still felt burdened inside because this happened because of his own carelessness.

He should have known that Mo Linsu looked worried and anxious from their conversation, but he still continued to say it just because it was the best option, at least that's what he thought. It was because of his own conclusion that Mo Linsu fell into a stupor. Simply put, he had made a poor choice.

What he thought was the best choice for him was not necessarily a good choice for others. This would be a hard lesson for him.

Xiao Ling was currently feeling very guilty, having not only failed to stop his friend but also being the one to bring bad news.

This all made his even more determined to find Mo Zhongzhi.

"Will everything be alright?" Xiao Ning asked with a worried face.

"I don't know because it's going to be a dangerous journey," Xiao Ling replied. "But I have no plans to retreat."

"Then, promise me that you will return safely." Xiao Ning pleaded with a teary face.

"Of course. At least, that is one thing I can be sure of." Xiao Ling replied, smiling soothingly at his wife.

Xiao Ling, who had returned home, began to prepare everything needed, from weapons, talismans, and even pills that could help him on his journey.

He had to double-check several times the equipment he needed for this mission, because to him, every piece of equipment needed could increase their chances of survival later on.

After Xiao Ling finished his preparations, he rested his body that was physically and mentally exhausted from what had happened throughout the day.

0