Open Sky
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An eagle soared high above the lush green valley, gliding effortlessly on updrafts as the wind rustled through the leaves below. The sky was a vibrant blue, dotted with puffy white clouds that drifted lazily across the horizon. Hayden Kage sat atop a hill under a tree overlooking the peaceful pastures, a gentle breeze blowing strands of silver hair across his face. With a journal resting in his lap, he began to write.

"5th day of the second month, year 1553. My time off from scout duty has been rather blissful, traveling villages and seeing the festival season of new light. Things are prosperous and peaceful. Camping and traveling, my outlook on life is excited and my time off has made me realize the fruits of my labor are not in vain. I am strong and confident in the approval of my father and superiors." 

Closing his journal, he stood. The wind picked up, blowing his hair as he looked out across the valley. It was good to be back. Yoshiha was calling him home, and he would answer. 

Hayden made his way down the grassy hillside toward Yoshiha, taking in the sweeping views of the valley along the way. As he drew closer, the sounds of the bustling marketplace carried on the wind - merchants hawking their wares, children laughing and playing. His pace quickened, eager to immerse himself in the familiar commotion.

Passing through the open gates, he stepped onto the crowded main thoroughfare. Vendors called out to him from their stalls selling vibrantly dyed fabrics, handcrafted pottery, and freshly caught fish. The aromas of grilled meat and baked goods wafted through the air. Yoshiha was alive with energy.

He weaved his way deeper into the town, exchanging smiles and nods with the townspeople. They recognized him, even after his long absence. This place felt like home.

Turning down a side street, he spotted two fellow guards on patrol.

"Kage! Good to see you back," one called out.

He smiled warmly. "It's been too long, my friend."

Continuing on, he passed through the artisan's quarter with its rows of workshops, then the residential district with humble thatched-roof cottages. Children played ball in the street, pausing to stare at him as he walked by.

At last, he came upon his own modest apartment. He unlocked the door and stepped inside the familiar space. 

He washed up from the road, eager to report to the scout headquarters and resume his duties. 

Hayden straightened his uniform, donning the olive green and grey scout colors with pride. Checking his reflection in the mirror, he ran his fingers through his windswept silver hair in an attempt to tame it. No use. Some things never change.

Stepping outside, he strode through the busy streets with purpose. The scout headquarters was in the administrative quarter, not far from the barracks and town hall. Yoshiha was laid out in an orderly grid, easy to navigate.

Approaching the nondescript stone building, he noted the royal crest above the door, two crossed swords over an oak tree. The sight of it kindled an ember of anticipation within him.

Inside, the front room was empty save for the desk attendant. He glanced up as Hayden entered, then jumped to his feet.

"Kage! Welcome back. Go on in, the captain's expecting you."

Hayden smiled. "Thank you."

Walking down the polished wood hallway, he came to the captain's office and rapped twice on the door.

"Come in," called a gruff voice.

He entered and stood at attention. "Sir. Scout Hayden Kage reporting for duty."

Captain Sosen looked up from his paperwork, breaking into a grin. "There he is! The prodigal scout returns." He came around and clapped him on the back. "Good to have you back, son."

"It's good to be back, sir."

"I trust your respite was restorative?"

"Yes sir. I'm ready to resume my duties, whatever the lordship requires."

Sosen nodded, his expression turning serious. "I've an important assignment for you. But first, tell me of your travels..."

The next morning. 

The sun cast its warm glow over the training ground, illuminating the sweat that glistened on Hayden Kage's skin as he practiced his reflexes. His white silvery hair clung to his forehead, navy dark eyes focused intently on the moving dummy in front of him. With each swift movement, he anticipated the dummy's next strike, dodging and parrying with precision.

From the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Johan staggering towards another dummy, his camo scarf askew and navy vest stained from last night's debauchery. Hayden couldn't help but chuckle as Johan raised his sword, only to be smacked squarely in the face by the dummy's swinging arm.

"Damn it!" Johan cursed, rubbing his reddening cheek, his brown hair disheveled and his unshaven beard bristling with irritation. He glanced at Hayden and laughed sheepishly. "I had a bit too much fun at the bar last night. Ended up dozing off in the street like a damn fool. Sosen found me this morning and told me to get my ass sober at the training ground before my scout mission down South."

Hayden smirked, shaking his head at Johan's antics. "You never change, do you?" he asked, his tone laced with humor.

"Hey, some of us have more fun than others," Johan retorted, grinning despite the fresh bruise forming on his face. "But seriously, how do you do it? I've been stuck at D-rank for five years, and you didn't even stay ten months before moving up to C-rank!"

"Ah, well, it's simple really," Hayden replied, sarcasm dripping from his words as he wiped the sweat from his brow. "I focused on honing my skills and improving through unyielding dedication. You should try getting drunk on success rather than wine sometime."

"Ouch, that stings," Johan said with a chuckle, feigning offense as he clutched his chest. "But you're right. Maybe I should try taking things more seriously for once."

Hayden nodded, his expression softening. "Just remember, we're all here to protect this town and its people. Our ranks don't matter if we can't do our jobs properly."

"True," Johan agreed, raising his sword once more. 

Hayden approached the west gate of Yoshiha, the sun casting long shadows across the cobblestone streets. The guard on duty eyed him curiously, noting his confident stride and the glint in his navy dark eyes.

"Excuse me," Hayden said, addressing the guard. "I have a reconnaissance mission in the woods. Here's my rank badge." He held up the small emblem that signified his C-rank status.

The guard nodded, his expression conveying a mixture of respect and curiosity. "Good luck on your mission, Scout Kage."

"Thank you," Hayden replied, stepping through the gate and into the lush wilderness beyond.

The forest was alive with the cacophony of birdsong and the rustling of leaves in the gentle breeze. Hayden took a deep breath, savoring the earthy scent of soil and decaying foliage as he ventured deeper into the woods. His keen eyes scanned the terrain, taking note of animal tracks and subtle disturbances in the underbrush that hinted at recent human activity.

After walking for miles, Hayden's instincts told him he was getting close. His heart began to pound in anticipation, his senses sharpening .

That's when he spotted them: four men garbed in crude leather armor, their attire clearly marking them as bandits. Hayden's own navy and olive green vest seemed to blend in with the surrounding foliage, allowing him to slip closer without detection.

"Oi, I tell ya, this Katan's trade route is busier than a bee in spring," one bandit remarked, his voice gruff and full of menace. "It's a bloody goldmine with all these merchants coming from the main lands to the west."

"Ha!" another bandit scoffed, a cruel smile twisting his scarred face. "And the best part is that this nation's too busy squabbling over petty politics to even bother protecting their own people. It's like taking candy from a baby!"

"Yer right," the smallest bandit chimed in, the scar on his forehead giving him a sinister appearance. "Katan's become a traveler's paradise, filled with rich merchants just waiting to be plundered. 'Tis a fine time to be a bandit, eh?"

We'll set up camp about a mile west. Take shifts watching the road."

As the bandits continued to exchange stories, Hayden observed their every move and word with razor-sharp focus. 

Finding a vantage point behind a large oak, Hayden settled in to observe.  

Night had fallen, and under the cover of darkness, Hayden Kage crouched in the shadows, silently chewing on his dried food rations. The moonlight filtered through the dense foliage, casting eerie patterns on the ground as he observed the four bandits huddled around a dim campfire. He calculated the odds of someone taking the route into the west side of town at this hour and formulated a plan.

The short bandit with a gnarled scar across his forehead rose from his seat by the fire, looking around before heading toward an oak tree to relieve himself. Hayden's heart raced as the man approached his hiding spot; the night was unnervingly quiet, any movement could give him away.

A flash of memory struck him: Sosen's voice echoing in the briefing room, detailing the appearance of three criminal factions had entered the mainland southeast from an island, and though killing them wasn't prohibited under C-Rank Quest rules, gathering more information was crucial .

The bandit stopped by the oak tree, and in a flurry of motion Hayden sprang. His blade slid through flesh and vocal cords, a spurt of crimson on pale moonlight. The bandit crumpled without a sound. 

Hayden ghosted to the camp, raising his voice in a harsh shout. "You've already been sighted by scouts. We killed your friend." He flung two stones into the bushes, rustling loudly. "Surrender now, or I'll cut off your fingers."

The biggest bandit stood slowly, eyes peering into the darkness. "Okay, we give. But first, compensation. For leaving your trade route." 

Hayden hesitated, then replied calmly, "Come to the town. My lord will compensate you generously."

As the bandit approached, Hayden discerned with grim satisfaction he was alone. In a flash of steel, he hurled blades into the bandit's eyes and darted toward the remaining two. Their screams rang out as Hayden retrieved a bloody blade. 

The bandits lunged at him, crude swings and jabs. Hayden sidestepped, pivoting to slash at knees and hamstrings. One fell into the fire with a shriek, the other tumbling after. 

Hayden's blade sunk deep into the bandit's chest. The man tumbled backwards, grasping at the hilt protruding from his sternum. But the other bandit, his face and arms covered in burns, came at Hayden swinging wildly. Hayden tried to wrench his sword free but it was stuck fast. He barely managed to avoid the overhead chop, countering with an elbow to the bandit's wrist and a fist to his temple. The bandit dropped his sword, stumbling. 

 "Enough!" Hayden's voice boomed, assertive and unyielding as he glared at the remaining bandit. "I've killed all three of your friends. Surrender now. I have herbs and bandages for your wounds." 

The bandit sneered, blood trickling down his cheek. "You already fooled us once, and now it's only me. Do you think I'm stupid like the rest of them?"

"I only wanted information," Hayden said evenly. "My odds against three were too risky. But now we can negotiate."

The bandit searched Hayden's stoic face, looking for any sign of deception. After a moment he nodded reluctantly. 

"Orait," said the bandit, agreeing to reveal information in exchange for medical treatment and safe passage away. 

He began explaining that his group was sent by a man named Gato, who was running operations to rob merchants blind across the country. "He's a dangerous man," the bandit emphasized, a glint of fear in his eyes. 

Hayden's face remained impassive as he pressed for more details, though his mind raced. This was the break in the mission he had been waiting for. "Where can I find him?"

The bandit hesitated, then gave a resigned chuckle. "Oh well, they won't find me out here anyway. Maybe it's time to turn over a new leaf." 

He revealed that Gato was holed up on an island to the southeast. After rummaging in his pockets, the bandit produced a map marking the location.

Hayden committed the details to memory. Word of Gato's location would be invaluable to the scouts. He tended to the bandit's wounds as promised, dressing his burns and lacerations. 

"Today you live," Hayden said, "but tomorrow may find you less fortunate if you continue down this path. Change your ways, or you'll regret crossing someone like me again."

Hayden wasted no time. Covered in his enemies' blood, he strode to the river coming from the northwest to wash himself. As he scrubbed the gore from his skin, his thoughts turned. Strange that three factions of criminals had docked on one small island, having traveled all the way to Katan. He'd known some unsavory types passed through these lands, but not crime syndicates in triplicate. 

"Perhaps there are new opportunities to be seized and risks to be taken," he mused aloud. "This Gato seems a shrewd businessman." 

He would report back first, Hayden decided, then seek out the leaders of all three factions and uncover their plans. This sort of organized crime could not be allowed to spread its roots here. He and his father kept the lands in order, serving the Lords as was proper. It was the way of the world - obey or die by the sword.

Heyden's boots crunched against the gravel path as he trudged wearily through the Busseling district, his muscles aching from the long hike back to town. He had spent the night and most of the morning recuperating, allowing the comforting darkness of sleep to repair his weary body. Now, in the heart of the day, the sun cast its golden rays upon the town's bustling streets, illuminating the faces of merchants and townspeople alike.

"Always a lively place, this," Heyden mused to himself, a faint smile gracing his lips as he wove through the throngs of people. The scent of freshly baked bread wafted through the air, momentarily distracting him from his purpose. Shaking off the temptation, he pressed onward, finally arriving at the unassuming building that housed the office of Sosen, Head Captain of the Scout division.

With a solid knock, Heyden pushed open the door and stepped into the dimly lit room. Sosen looked up from the parchment he was studying, his eyes narrowing slightly before they brightened with recognition.

Heyden nodded, taking a deep breath before recounting his findings. As he listed each piece of information gathered, Sosen's expression grew more serious. 

"Very well," Sosen said after a thoughtful pause. "Based on your report, I'll have C-Rank Quests drafted immediately. Thank you for your diligence, Heyden."

"Of course, sir," Heyden replied, standing at attention.

Time seemed to stretch on as Sosen convened with the strategic council behind closed doors. Heyden paced the hallway outside, his thoughts racing with anticipation. Eventually, the door creaked open, and Sosen emerged, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Heyden, we've assigned you two C-Rank Quests,"one to gather intel on the remaining factions, and one to investigate illegal wine trading in Vilecherry region handing him a rolled parchment. 

"Thank you, sir," Heyden said, his chest swelling with pride as he unfurled the parchment to read the details of his assignments.

As Heyden turned to leave, Sosen called out, "I'm confident you'll handle them well. Your father would be proud."

Heyden nodded. "Always am," he replied, then headed out, ready to rest up before his next assignment.

0