Underground Arena
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heydan leaned against the ship's railing, staring out at the endless expanse of blue sea. The salty breeze ruffled his silvery hair as he brooded in silence. His dark eyes were troubled, his mouth set in a grim line. 

Heavy footsteps sounded behind him, and he glanced over his shoulder to see Greybeard approaching. The old pirate came to stand beside him, gripping the railing with his weathered hands. 

"I've only known Adrian a few days," Greybeard rumbled, "but I can already tell he's an ambitious fellow."

Heydan's jaw tightened. 

"We'll be arriving at the island soon," Greybeard continued mildly. "You look like you could use some rum to take the edge off." 

Heydan shook his head curtly. He would not be swayed by pirate revelries or camaraderie. His mission came first, though it was proving more complicated than anticipated. 

Heydan's eyes narrowed as he stared out at the endless sea. "Should I feel better that he blew my cover and saw right through me?" he said bitterly. "As a scout from the mainland, it's a disgrace."

Greybeard leaned on the railing next to him, unfazed by the scout's brooding tone. "See it as an adventure on the seas," the old pirate replied. "A new outlook on life. You might for the first time understand where we're coming from, unlike the lord's lackeys on the mainland who just bark orders and do as they're told."

Heydan's lip curled derisively. "The day I listen to someone like you is the day I've run out of luck and been slain by the sword." 

Greybeard simply laughed, a rough chuckling sound. "We'll see, lad. The sea has a way of changing a man." 

They stood in silence then, two men from vastly different worlds, gazing out at the endless waves. 

As the day progressed, they reached a huge island with a mountain and the sea stretching deep within the island's caves, with built-in docks like a town full of ships pirate ships, it seemed, a haven for criminals. 

They all docked with excitement, the mercenaries eager to get off ship. Everyone unloaded and made their way into the massive underground docking haven. The place was full of laughter and armed mercenaries with tattoos and scars, singing rowdy songs. It seemed some event was taking place and Adrian had brought his company along to join in the revelry. 

Heydan kept his hand on his sword hilt, tense and wary as he took in the raucous scene. This was a dangerous place for an agent of the mainland. He would have to keep his wits about him and tread carefully amongst these lawless men.  

Heyden followed the mercenaries into the dimly lit underground arena, the roar of the crowd and clang of steel greeting them. His eyes swept over the massive space - circular pits sunk into the stone floor for fights, raised platforms and balconies where spectators cheered and jeered, the air thick with smoke and the metallic scent of blood. 

This was no simple betting parlor, but a proving ground for the most dangerous fighters in the criminal underworld. Heyden's analytical mind quickly deduced why a man like Adrian would come to such a place - to recruit new talent, broker deals, and assert his influence among the shadow elite. 

Heyden threaded through the rowdy crowd, keeping an eye out for Adrian's telltale light brown hair or any sign of the Azurian and Quicksilver guild members The din made it impossible to pick out voices or track them by sound. He would have to rely on his honed skills of observation.

A hulking babarian stepped into Heyden's path, scowling down at him. "You lost, little man?" 

Heyden met the brute's gaze unflinchingly. "Just passing through."

The man grunted, then shouldered past. Heyden continued on, senses alert. He memorized each face he passed, mapping the layout in preparation for his report data .

Rough voices bellowed and coarse laughter echoed from all sides as the unsavory types of the underworld jostled for space to view the upcoming fights.

A raspy voice rang out over the loudspeaker, announcing the first match. The crowds roared, stomping their feet as two massive fighters emerged from opposite gates. Heyden analyzed their builds, fighting styles and any visible weaknesses as they circled each other. Information was as valuable as gold here.

As the first crushing blow landed, shaking the stands, Heyden spotted a flash of Light Brown hair near one of the VIP booths. Adrian. Two hulking bodyguards stood at his flanks. Heyden subtly shifted closer, pretending to focus on the bout while keeping Adrian in his peripheral vision. 

The Quicksilver member and Azurian were nowhere in sight. Had they split off for their own shady purposes? Heyden would need to be patient and watch for an opening to investigate further. For now, he gathered every detail he could, committing faces and conversations to memory. 

The massive iron gates slowly creaked open, revealing the sand-covered arena floor. A hulking figure emerged, his rippling muscles barely contained by leather straps crisscrossing his chest. Wild black hair whipped in the wind as he strode to the center of the arena, raising his arms. 

"I am Donbachi!" his voice boomed, echoing off the stone walls. "And I will feast on the blood of all who dare challenge me!" 

The crowd roared, equal parts thrilled and terrified by the feral intensity in Donbachi's eyes. Hayden watched impassively from the stands, cataloging the man's strengths. Scarred knuckles, likely from brawling. Thick neck and shoulders built for delivering crushing blows. Quick, light feet despite the muscular frame. A worthy opponent, but not unbeatable.

Hayden tensed as he sensed movement behind him. Three figures materialized out of the shadows. The largest had a dragon tattoo winding down his left arm, leading to a massive buster sword strapped across his back. The other two were clad in dark leather armor, masks obscuring their faces assassins.

"Lord Lufrich wants you to fight the warlord Donbachi," the man with the dragon tattoo rasped. "Defeat him!. Refuse, and you'll never leave this place alive."

Hayden's jaw clenched. The stakes were clear - participate or be killed. He had hoped to avoid further violence, but it seemed his path was chosen for him. 

"Tell Lord Lufrich I accept his challenge,"Hayden said evenly. Inside, his thoughts raced. Donbachi was dangerous, his love of bloodshed making him unpredictable. Hayden would need to end the fight decisively, before the warlord's battle fury overwhelmed him. 

The assassins melted back into the shadows without another word. Hayden's eyes narrowed, his expression hardening with grim determination. If he survived this, Lufrich would have some hard questions to answer about his motives in forcing this deadly test.

But first, Hayden had a beast of a man to slay. He strode toward the arena entrance, ready to meet his fate. The cheers and screams of the crowd faded away, his focus absolute, he steeled himself and plotted his strategy, determined to weather the oncoming storm.

Heydan took a deep breath as he ready's himself in the dusty arena, the roars of the crowd fading into the background. He drew his sword slowly, the metallic rasp echoing in the sudden hush. His icy dark eyes locked onto Donbachi, narrowing with lethal intent. 

Donbachi let out a bellowing war cry, hefting his massive, battered long sword in one hand as if it weighed nothing. He charged towards Heydan like a maddened beast. 

Heydan flowed into motion, feet gliding in an intricate dance as he circled his foe. Donbachi pursued him relentlessly, swinging his chipped blade in broad, powerful arcs. Heydan ducked and wove between the strikes, his sword flickering out in quick counterattacks aimed at his opponent's limbs. 

"Is running all you can do, boy?" Donbachi snarled, his next swing biting deep into the hard-packed earth as Heydan leapt away. 

Heydan's eyes glinted. 

With a wordless roar, Donbachi attacked in a frenzy, his massive sword crashing down again and again as Heydan continued to evade. Suddenly, Heydan stepped inside Donbachi's guard, deflecting the longsword with a two-handed parry. Donbachi stumbled, thrown off-balance, and Heydan pressed the attack, his blade seeking out the gaps in Donbachi's armor. 

Donbachi rallied, intercepting Heydan's strikes with the haft of his sword. "Not bad, boy. "

They parted, circling once more as the crowd shouted and jeered. Heydan kept his breathing steady, sword at the ready. No matter how long it took, he would wait for the right opening to finish this. The duel had only just begun.

Heydan and Donbachi continued their deadly dance within the arena, blades flashing as they sought an advantage. Though Donbachi had strength , Heydan's speed and precision kept him at bay.

As the duel raged on, the crowd grew restless, demanding blood. Sensing their bloodlust, Donbachi attacked with renewed frenzy, his massive sword crashing against Heydan's with bone-jarring force. Heydan grit his teeth, parrying each blow while looking for openings.

He found one as Donbachi overextended on a backswing. Ducking beneath the blade, Heydan lunged forward, driving his sword towards Donbachi's chest. At the last moment, Donbachi twisted aside, taking a gash along his ribs instead of a killing thrust. 

"First blood is mine," Heydan declared, flicking crimson droplets from his blade. 

The big man came at Heydan relentlessly, ignoring his wound, seeking to overwhelm him through sheer brute force. Heydan gave ground, turning aside strike after strike, waiting for his next opportunity.

It came as Donbachi overcommitted on an overhead chop. Sidestepping swiftly, Heydan slashed Donbachi's thigh as his blade bit into the dirt. With a pained roar, Donbachi sank to one knee. Heydan poised for the finishing blow, ready to end the duel.

He's blade sliced through the air, aimed for Donbachi's exposed neck. But before the strike could land, Donbachi roared,"My flesh transforms into soil, and soil solidifies into a rock. As a rock, I evolve into a formidable boulder, and as a boulder, I ascend to become a mighty mountain. Emerging from the earth's depths, I awaken in a surge of blood—by my hand, witness how I bring down the heavens!"

Donbachi's muscles bulged and veins popped as his skin tightened over an iron frame. Adrian's whisper caught Heyden's attention. Though he couldn't hear the words, he read Adrian's lips: "Dankai earth form."

Blood-soaked, Donbachi swung his mighty fist. Heyden raised his arms to block, but the force of the blow smashed him against the arena wall. Stone and mortar exploded as if struck by an earthquake. Heyden's vision blurred and sounds became muffled, as if a bomb had dropped nearby. He shook his head trying to clear it and pushed off the cracked wall, shards of stone falling around him. Donbachi towered above, a juggernaut of muscle and rage. This was no longer a tournament fight—it was a battle for survival.

The crowd erupted into thunderous cheers as Donbachi let his battered sword clatter to the ground. He bore down on Hayden with thundering hammer fists, raining blows on the younger man's raised arms. Hayden gritted his teeth against the impacts, bruises blooming under his sleeves. Adrenaline coursed through him but could not dispel the creeping sense of hopelessness. 

Donbachi had unlocked some hidden form of strength no normal man could match. Not even Hayden's skills could prevail against such a monstrosity. He continued blocking the devastating strikes, pain shooting through his limbs. Hayden had to end this, and quickly, before Donbachi pummeled him into oblivion. 

Twisting away from a punch, Hayden swept Donbachi's leg. The giant crashed down with a roar. Hayden leapt onto his back, looping an arm around his thick neck to choke him. Donbachi thrashed like an angry bull, scrabbling at the ground. Hayden squeezed with all his might, feeling the corded muscles and veins under his forearm. 

Donbachi wheezed and sputtered. The crowd shouted wildly, egging on both fighters. Hayden ignored them, focused only on rendering his opponent unconscious. His father's stern face flashed in his mind. With a final surge of effort, Hayden felt Donbachi go limp beneath him. The giant's massive body smacked flat against the dirt. 

Hayden released his chokehold and staggered to his feet. The crowd noise faded to a dull buzzing as he stood over Donbachi's unconscious form. He had won, but the victory was just a huge relief. He has defeated a mountain of strength. 

0