Chapter 6: Regret (rewrite)
2.1k 8 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I rewrote chapter 6, I hope it's an improvement

 

"Let me think about it," I said.

"The longer you wait, the longer she suffe-"

"I know Daryl, just shut up please..."

"Lena, you know I didn't mean it like that..."

"Didn't mean it like what?" A new voice said. It was the leader's, he entered the room without anyone knowing. How long was he standing there already? Daryl and I both looked at each other and we didn't know what to say, but Daryl quickly made up an excuse, "I told her she was very attractive and that I wanted to make her my wife."

The leader's eyebrows frowned, I looked at Daryl as if I was going to kill him. He quickly made a gesture to me that I didn't quite understand, but if think he meant that he was apologizing.

"Alright, then love birds. You can finish what you were doing, tomorrow. I'm tired, so I'm going to sleep. Daryl, you can go now."

"Yes, sir."

Daryl made a salute and quickly left the tent.

"Such a good kid," the leader said to himself. He then looked at me and said, "You like him, don't you?"

I rolled my eyes and said, "Not really, he's just a nice guy..."

The leader grinned and turned off the candle lights. It became pitch dark, and the night soon began. It wasn't a quiet one, the female screams and moans pierced my ears, this went on for quite some time, but in the end, silence fell. The last bandit was finally satisfied.

I couldn't sleep, thinking about the events that happened today. They still flashed through my mind, playing over and over again. Father that died, mother, who became a toy... And I didn't even know if Rylan was still alive... Would he come and save me? I probably shouldn't think about that, I shouldn't give myself false hope.

I had to think about the future, about the choice I had to make: Letting mother live and suffer— Or let her die a peaceful death? The latter sounded much better now I thought about it. Even if we managed to escape, she'd be traumatised for life. And her mental health wouldn't let her find love again, and besides who would want her? If they found out that she got brutally gang-raped over and over again, they would dump her the moment they knew...

My decision was made, I'm going to let her die a peaceful death...

I cried the whole night and fell eventually asleep.

I woke up the next morning and my eyes hurt very much. They were red and dry, because of my crying. Then the leader yawned and stretched his arms.

"Good morning, beautiful," 

"Morning..." I replied.

He came out of his sleeping beg and left the tent. He started screaming once he left the tent.

"Wake up you lazy bastards! We haven't got all day!"

His men slowly woke up and started complaining, they didn't like the way they were woken up and most lay on the ground outside the tents. The women and girls were also woken up, they were fed cheap bread and given water.

"Morning Lena,"

It was Daryl, he entered the tent and placed himself right next to me, I quickly hid in the sleeping bag, covering my body and started screaming, "Get out, I'm naked!".

He quickly realised his mistake and blushed. "I'll be right back," he said and quickly left the tent. I quickly got dressed and went outside.

He smiled when he saw me and said, "You've cried all night, didn't you?"

"Yea..."

"I don't want to bother you, but have you made up your mind, yet?"

"Yes, but I want to say goodbye to her first."

Daryl hesitated, but then he said, "Ok, sure, but we've gotta do it in secret."

I nodded.

After that, he gave me a piece of bread and brought me to an isolated spot in the forest. He carefully checked his surroundings and relaxed once he confirmed nobody was spying on us.

"What's the plan?" I asked.

"Tonight, when everybody is asleep."

"That long? I don't want to suffer her any longer!"

He hit my head and said, "You don't want us to get caught, do you?"

"No, I don't..." I replied quietly.

"Good, then don't be impatient and do as I say. Tonight I'll quietly get you when I'm sure everybody is asleep, you can say your goodbyes and then we pretend that nothing happened, okay?"

I nodded and after that, we returned to the camp.

We soon resumed the travel and the leader put me his horse. I, once again, endured the, seemingly, endless butt-poking torture and after a day of travel. The sun finally soon started going down.

Daryl guarded me again and the night soon fell. The leader blew out his candle and fell asleep.

I was very nervous that night, constantly worrying about in what state my mother would be, what I should say to her, etc. I impatiently waited for the hours to pass by. I constantly looked at the entrance of the tent to see any movements.

After a few hours (that felt like an eternity) I heard a whisper.

"Lena, are you awake?"

I stood up as quietly as I could and exited the tent. My heartbeat went back to normal once I was outside.

"I thought you would never come."

"I had to make sure nobody was awake. Now follow me."

I nodded and followed him, it was pitch-black outside, the surroundings only being light up by the light of the moon. I couldn't see where I was walking so I held Daryl's hand. We soon saw my mother and the other women. I was terrified at what I saw...

They all lay naked and were beaten up badly, they had swollen eyes and there were bruises everywhere. some were still covered in white substances... They were all tied up on wooden pillars with iron handcuffs. They were tight so tightly that there were wounds on their wrists...

"Oh my god, mom," I cryingly said.

I walked over to her and hugged her, but she didn't react. She was still breathing, but she just lay there, as if she were an empty shell... I tried to wake her up, but nothing worked. She just wouldn't react...

I calmed myself down and looked at Daryl, "Do it, but I don't wanna see it."

Daryl nodded and inserted the poison inside her mouth, he performed a special technique so that she could swallow it all. After he made sure nothing was left in her mouth he told me he was done.

I cried and hugged him, he brought me back to my tent, I looked back a couple of times and had mixed feelings.

"Goodbye, mom, I loved you and you proved me that women weren't as bad as I thought."

43