CH. 26: Rewards!
443 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kenshi's eyes snapped open, the last vestiges of hi sleep fading away. Early morning light filtered into the room as he slowly sat up, mind still fogged with exhaustion. His body ached, but the stabbing pain in his leg had faded to a dull throb, so he was feeling much better now.

Glancing down, he slowly flexed his injured leg. The medicine and bandages Shinobu had applied seemed to be working. He felt well enough to walk now, though running or fighting would be out of the question for a few more days.

As wakefulness returned, the conversations from last night came rushing back. The demon, the experiments, the enemy named Edward...

Edward! Kenshi suddenly remembered the system rewards that he forgot to see. He suddenly fished out the dragon whistle from his pocket, and held it in his hand. 

He opened the system and looking into the system's rewards.

[Dragon Whistle: Made from the bones of an ancient dragon. Grants the wearer increased bravery, confidence, and mental resilience. Effects scale with the wearer's existing courage and similar qualities.]

Kenshi's mouth twisted, if it was that simple to tell, why did you have to hide it from me! But after seeing this, he quickly understood why he never felt any fear even though he was battling a demon for the first time. Tucking the whistle safely beneath his robes, he pulled up the system screen.

Two new messages are showed to him. The first simply read.

[Reward: 50 System Points] 

"System points? I didn't know that system have points and stuff? and what I am supposed to do with them?" He question but did not get any answers from the system. 

Sighing he moved to the second message with greater anticipation. But his eyes narrowed as he read the short line:

[Reward: Hint- Edward is a transmigrator]

"What?!" The system was just now confirming Edward's identity as a fellow transmigrator?! But he already suspected it! 

Frustration boiled up inside him. After everything he had suffered facing that demon, this vague, obvious "Hint" was the best intel the system could provide? He clenched his fists. 

Taking a deep breath, Kenshi forcibly calmed himself. Getting worked up wouldn't help. He had hit a dead end for now, but surely more clues about his enemy would emerge eventually. He just needed to stay focused on growing stronger in the meantime.

The sound of approaching footsteps in the hall drew Kenshi from his brooding. Shinobu appeared in the doorway, wearing an elegant pink kimono patterned with white hyacinths. Her keen purple eyes immediately assessed his condition.

"You seem to be recovering well this morning." She remarked, gliding over to inspect his injured leg. Kenshi endured her checking silently until she was satisfied.

"The medicine seems to be working well. Your leg should be fully mended in a few more days." Straightening gracefully, Shinobu met his gaze. "Once you have regained your strength, we must discuss your findings in Sakurai Town in detail. For now, rest and stay focused.

She turned to go, but Kenshi spoke up urgently. "Shinobu, wait. There's something else important I need to tell you." 

Reaching into his pocket, he retrieved the butterfly hairpin he had found beside Hanako's body. The dried blood staining its edge sent a shiver through his chest. Wordlessly, he held it out to Shinobu.

Her eyes widened at the sight. "That hairpin...no, it can't be..." She took the pin with suddenly trembling fingers, the color draining from her face as though realising somthing. "This belonged to Hanako....She was on a mission near Sakurai Town recently but..."

"She's dead." Kenshi said bluntly. "Killed by the demon I defeated. She was trying to protect the town's people but she was outmatched. I'm sorry."

Shinobu stared at the hairpin, stunned into silence. Though reserved by nature, the grief and shock were plain on her delicate features. Kenshi watched her anxiously, regretting having to be the bearer of this awful news.

"Shinobu." He said quietly. "I know she was dear to you. Her last thoughts were of you. She wished she could have lived up to your teachings."

A single tear traced down Shinobu's pale cheek though her expression remained frozen. "Hanako..." she whispered. Her hand closed tightly around the bloodied hairpin.

For a moment she simply stood motionless, overwhelmed by sorrow. She know her student is not alive a long time ago, but now seeing the proof of it made her sad. Then her back straightened, her gaze growing steely. With visible effort she composed herself, swiftly wiping the tear away.

"Thank you for returning this to me." She told Kenshi in a voice of forced calm. "And for sharing her last words. I know it must have pained you as well." 

She drew in a long breath, the grief still shadowing her eyes. "Hanako was a kind soul and talented student." Quiet fury edged her delicate features. "That demon behind all this will pay dearly for causing this."

With that she turned and swept from the room, the orchid kimono billowing behind her. Kenshi watched her go, If only he had made that demon suffer more before killing it...

Clenching his fist, Kenshi hardened his resolve. He was not strong enough, he was way to reserved and always thought he can kill Muzan if he trained enough, but now seeing the enemies that are far above he realised how weak he really was.

Over the next few days Kenshi focused wholly on recovering from his injuries. Though impatient to begin investigating Edward, he knew he needed to regain his full strength first. 

Under Shinobu's watchful eye and Kanao's gentle care, he slowly healed. Meals were brought to his room, fragrant herbal teas eased his pain, and fresh bandages were regularly applied. 

Between long stretches of rest, Kenshi passed the time meditating, tending his sword, and scanning any texts he could find for useful information. But clues remained scarce, and his mind often wandered back to the cryptic note that he found in the demon's base.

How had he created those horrific experiments? Was he allied with Muzan or operating independently? Kenshi itched to uncover more about his enemy.

At last, nearly a week after their return, Shinobu declared Kenshi fit to resume light training and work. His leg still needed a few more days of rest, but otherwise he had recovered well. 

Eager to get started, Kenshi joined Kanao outdoors that afternoon for basic sword drills and conditioning exercises. Moving through the familiar forms, he relished the chance to rebuild his strength. Kanao worked diligently beside him, elegant as ever with her blade.

They had just finished when Shinobu approached, her expression unreadable. "Come with me." She instructed Kenshi. "There is something important we must discuss."

Exchanging a curious glance with Kanao, Kenshi followed Shinobu back inside. She led him to a small private room upstairs, prepared with a tea set and snacks on the low table. Shinobu gracefully knelt and began pouring tea as Kenshi settled himself opposite her.

Accepting the steaming cup she offered, he waited for her to speak. Shinobu took a slow sip of tea before setting the cup down with care.

"First, I wish to thank you again for returning  Hanako's hairpin." She began, composure firmly in place.

He nodded. "I'm glad and she was at peace now." 

"Indeed." Shinobu's eyes were distant for a moment before refocusing. "However, we must not dwell on the past, but look ahead to the future. Which brings me to the other matter I thought to discuss."

She folded her hands delicately in her lap. "I informed Master Ubuyashiki of everything you reported about the demon's human followers and the...experiments you uncovered." Distaste colored her tone at the word. "He is deeply troubled by this potential threat, as are the other Hashira I have spoken with."

Kenshi leaned forward intently, tea forgotten. "Have they decided how to respond?"

Shinobu gave a graceful shake of her head, twin braids swaying. "Not yet. Wind and Water Hashira were dispatched to investigate the underground facility you described, but found no remaining traces. They brought back some samples for me to examine but It seems our enemy has covered their tracks thoroughly."

Her eyes bored into him. "Which is why Master Ubuyashiki had called for another meeting, I want you to accompany me, i think you will be helpful since you actually fought the demon that regenerated even after being beheaded.

She set down her cup. "You will leave for the Ubuyashiki House tomorrow. Do not hold anything back from the Master if he asks."

Kenshi gripped his knees tightly to hide his surging excitement. Finally, a chance to share his theories and hopefully speed up the hunt for Edward.

31