6- Elysia
111 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

City of Elysia

The towering city walls wind sinuously over the vast land, like a dwelling white dragon about to rise. Walls are flanked by thorn-like watchtowers, strategically placed between the bulwarks. Soldiers clad in grey armour stand guard behind the battlements, silently gazing at the dark plain ahead, their banners emblazoned with a flying dragon fluttering in the north wind.

A middle-aged man with silver hair, standing in the front of the formation, calmly watches the dense army formations below in the dawn light, his lips slowly curling into an ironic smile.

"Hehe, although I've considered this possibility, the Solar Empire is really bold... Aelin, any movements from the Demon Federation?"

"With me here, what dare the demons do! You really are a man who asks the obvious... and quite dull" replies a golden-haired, slender female elf, exuding a mysterious and wild aura, pouting her lips.

"Hehe, my apologies, that was indeed impolite of me... But Aelin, being so sharp and strong might scare men away...

A powerful woman sometimes needs to expose her tenderness, to give men a fighting chance... Right, Ogma?" The silver-haired man teases, winking at the wolfman general beside him.

"Ah, Lord Joseph, don't tease me like that... Lady Aelin surely wouldn't fancy a rough fellow like me, hehe" the wolfman general says with a shyly smile, scratching his head.

"Joseph! Hmph! I won't argue with you! ...General Ogma, do... do you like me?" The elven woman's cheeks turn red as she shyly asks in a low voice, resembling a bashful young girl.

"Uh... I... I... lik... like... like-like..." The wolfman general's awkward demeanour makes everyone burst out in chuckle, and soon laughter erupts along the city walls, blending into the stern atmosphere of the impending battle.

Watching the trio chat and laugh with ease, without any sense of impending doom, also calms the tension within me.

"Hehe, sorry for the jests, 'Holy...' oh no, Lord Mamoru. But what do you think... does Elysia... stand a chance?" The silver-haired man's voice, confident yet playful, carries an underlying hint of anxiety and concern.

Hehe, isn't this rhetorically obvious...

Observing the impressive stats of the silver-haired man and the elven woman, I can't help but internally comment on their overwhelming numbers:


Aelin . Finaera . Lightwhisper

Level: 85, Female, 99 years old, Wood Elf
Health Points (HP): 5160
Magic Points (MP): 1240
Status Value (ST): Morale greatly increased
Equipment: Eldoran's Arcane Robe

Vocation: Witch of Wind (Epic Level)
Wind Magic Specialization:
Ultimate Wind (HP, MP heavy consumption, skill details upon expansion)
Advanced Wind (MP heavy consumption, skill details upon expansion)
Intermediate Wind (MP medium consumption, skill details upon expansion)
Basic Wind (MP low consumption, skill details upon expansion)

Profession: Adventurer (Rare) - S Rank, Master of Adventurers' Guild
Unerring Shot (Passive: Physical ranged attacks within 200 meters hit target, ignoring evasion and armor traits)
Battle-Hardened (Passive: Increased evasion chance for normal attacks and martial skills)
Race Slayer (Passive: Increased damage to chosen race - Demons)
Master of Adventurers' Guild (Passive: Increased favourability with all races)

Entitlements:
The Exile (Lost the protection of the Wood Elves, reduced resistance to all magic damage)
Doom Witch (Aelin has slain countless demons, instilling fear in lower demons, causing a continuous fear effect)


Joseph. Corrost

Level: 57, Male, 46 years old, Human
Health Points (HP): 4090
Magic Points (MP): 765
Status Value (ST): Normal
Equipment: Elysian Battle Armor

Vocation: Holy Knight (Epic Level)
Martial Skills:
Weapon Master (Passive: Self-taught mastery of all weapon types)
Breaking Slash (Wide range slash hitting multiple targets with sword-type weapons, MP medium consumption)
Ten-Step Kill (Deals fatal damage to a single target within ten steps, MP medium consumption)
Divine Guidance (Passive: Greatly boosts morale of nearby allies, increases resistance to mental control magic)

Entitlements:
One-Armed Joseph (Lost his left arm at the Hot Spring Pass, greatly increased proficiency and damage with one-handed weapons)
Model Knight (Upholds the eight virtues of knighthood, treats all races equally, greatly increased favourability with all races)


"Joseph the One-Armed," the lieutenant the of "Mercenary King Andreas" and the former leader of the Flying Dragon Knights. He rose to fame fifteen years ago at the Battle of Hot Spring Pass, where he fought against overwhelming odds in a pivotal clash against the Western Continent Alliance during the Mercenary Defence War. His valour and strategic brilliance turned the tide of the conflict.

The petite, fierce elven lady, surprisingly, turns out to be the infamous "Doom Witch."

Legend has it that over fifty years ago, during frequent minor conflicts at the human-demon borders, a defeated demon army, in a fit of humiliation and rage, massacred the neutral Wood Elf village of Halme. Aelin helplessly witnessed her parents being brutally slain.

She survived the ordeal and chose self-exile, dedicating herself to mastering lethal magic and embarking on a vengeful quest to hunt demons. Over decades of wandering the Western Continent, she has tormented and killed countless demons, instilling fear in their hearts. Wherever she goes, demons flee in terror, abandoning their armor and weapons.

However, Joseph the One-Armed has shown remarkable acumen in recruiting such a formidable woman to serve as the head of the Adventurers' Guild in Elysia. Her presence adds significant military and diplomatic leverage to Elysia, and more importantly, it serves as a deterrent to the Demon Federation bordering Elysia. With her fearsome reputation and Joseph's strategic foresight, they form a powerful alliance in safeguarding the city and influencing the region.

As Joseph, the hero of the Hot Spring Pass, questions me about Elysia's defence in the face of a looming battle, it seems even battle-hardened as he is, senses the daunting challenge ahead.

"Lord Joseph, what is there in Elysia worth protecting?" I seize the moment of his hesitation to pose a serious counterquestion.

"These... of course, are the city walls, the city itself, and the hundred thousand residents of Elysia who have made their homes and livelihoods on this land," Joseph responds, somewhat perplexed, with widened eyes.

"Hehe... Let me rephrase the question. Lord Joseph, what, in your opinion, are Elysia and its residents?"

"The residents of Elysia are the citizens of various races living in Elysia, of course~ Lord Mamoru, like Joseph, you are a man who asks the obvious~ Hmph~" Aelin interjects haughtily, casting a sidelong glance at Ogma, who is laughing heartily with the soldiers.

"Hehe, Lady Aelin, then following your logic, if a Wood Elf doesn't live in the Eldoran Forest, she isn't a Wood Elf anymore?"

"Of course not! A Wood Elf is a Wood Elf no matter where she goes! Hmph!" Aelin replies with pride, like a child asserting her identity.

Joseph seems to understand something profound as he thoughtfully looks at the soldiers behind him.

"Hehe, so Lady Aelin, what exactly is a Wood Elf, in your view? Is it someone who speaks fluent Elvish? Someone born on the land of the Eldoran Forest? Or someone with pure Wood Elf blood?" I close my eyes, entering a mode of deep thought, and pose a series of mystical questions.

"This... seems to be all of them... but also not quite... Um... how to say... In essence..."

Aelin is rendered somewhat speechless by my questions, but Joseph, as if struck by a sudden revelation, slowly says:

"It's about the heart... no, rather, it's about belief!

A nation or city-state, despite having territorial boundaries or legal norms, is fundamentally about the belief that unites its people! It's a strong sense of belonging that stems from an inner identification with oneself and one's social identity!

It's something that people would even sacrifice their lives for... a kind of... a kind of...!" Joseph, overcome with emotion, finds himself at a loss for words.

"A sense of patriotism! Exactly! Lord Joseph!

The self-awareness, discipline, and dignity of the people of Elysia... As long as they hold on to these principles of being Elysian, Elysia will always be with them, no matter where they are."

I conclude thoughtfully, "Lord Joseph, the survival of Elysia doesn't solely depend on these high walls and iron armours... True strength lies in living up to the beliefs of Elysia, doesn't it?"

"True strength lies in living up to the beliefs of Elysia... Hehe... Andreas, I finally understand why you were so determined to build the Mercenary Nation of Waldo back then..."

At this moment, Joseph's demeanour shifts from worry to a sense of relief and gratitude.

His gaze, filled with camaraderie, startles me, as I quickly turn away, pretending to cough. Joseph, sensing the mood, shakes his head with understanding and looks out at the approaching armies of the Solar Empire, a determined smile slowly forming on his lips.

Seeing Joseph's renewed confidence, the weight in my heart lifts, and I can't help but feel a secret sense of satisfaction for having played my part well. After all, my eloquent speech was premeditated, part of my mission in coming to Elysia.

 

Just about two days ago, after a night of intimacy with the shaman, we surprisingly engaged in serious discussions about the future of the Camp. While I professed ambitions of leading the demi-humans to their former glory, our actual fighting force consisted only of about a hundred women, most of whom, like Lisa and Lilifa, are not warriors.

Furthermore, these women, always ready for my favour, were effectively my private harem. As the revered Saviour and the sole male of the tribe, it seemed unthinkable to put them in harm's way.

Pondering deeply, I suddenly recalled a historical figure from my previous life who faced a similar plight – Liu Bei. He started as a humble sandal-seller, wandering for twenty years under the guise of imperial lineage. With less than ten thousand men and the loyalty of his famed generals Zhao, Guan, and Zhang, he survived by relying on the hospitality of others. Eventually, he betrayed his host and kin Liu Zhang to seize the prosperous Yi Province, later establishing his own kingdom and setting the stage for the Three Kingdoms era.

However, my situation seemed even grimmer than Liu Bei's. Not only did I lack competent warriors, but as the "Saviour of the Demi-humans," I was expected to rise against all human nations of the Western Continent. Elves and dwarves, engaged in trade with humans, were unlikely allies, and seeking refuge with the Demon Federation, enemies of the entire continent, was not a viable option.

With a bounty from the Solar Empire on my head, it's a miracle I'm still alive. It seems improbable that any nation would willingly shelter me, a hot potato with nowhere to turn.

My predicament appears almost insurmountable, challenging me to find a path forward for both myself and the Camp.

After discussing the current impasse with the shaman, she pondered briefly before suggesting that I prepare to journey to the "Promised Land" – Elysia. Her plan was to find a safe haven for my hundred-women harem and to use Elysia as a starting point for future conquests. At first, I thought she was speaking nonsensically, possibly still groggy from sleep, and I even suggested an intimate encounter to help her 'recharge,' but she politely declined.

The shaman elaborated on her reasoning, and my observations in Elysia confirmed her hypothesis:

  1. As a neutral city-state, Elysia symbolizes the delicate peace maintained between humans and demons over the years. It's small and sparsely populated, lacking strategic value. Despite its size, it doesn't attract attention, making it an ideal base for our ambitions.
  2. Elysia actively promotes racial integration and has abolished the human aristocracy. It treats all races equally (including demons), making it an ideal place to settle my demi-human harem.
  3. Joseph the One-Armed values talent over background. As a once-in-a-century legendary figure, my self-recommendation would likely be enthusiastically welcomed, leaving him no reason to refuse.

Although I was initially sceptical about the shaman's words, I still decided to venture alone to Elysia seeking a solution for our predicament. This was not only in line with the expectations and responsibilities of my role as the "Saviour" but also a necessary step in my growth and training as a future ruler...

 

"Lord Joseph! The Solar Empire requests a meeting at the city gates! Your orders, please!" The voice, loud and clear as a bell, pulls me abruptly from my thoughts.

"Heh, they've come to offer terms of surrender... Ogma, I leave the command of the army in your hands! If something happens to me... you know what to do. Aelin, Kir, come with me."

"Yes, Lord Joseph! Guardsmen, take the flag, follow me!" A tall, muscular centaur soldier shouts in response.

"Hmph! What a bother. I want to see which idiot from the Solar Empire is rushing to his death," Aelin quips, playing with her bowstring, her typical feisty self.

"Lord Joseph, allow me to join you. My strength might be immature, but I want to contribute to Elysia," I step forward and volunteer. At this critical juncture, it's vital to ensure Joseph's safety for the sake of my plans.

"Ah... Lord Mamoru, you are a guest, there's no need for you to..."

"Let Mamoru come along! Joseph, you can't reject a man who is willing to risk his life" Aelin interjects, her tone unexpectedly serious.

"Hehe, as Lady Aelin says... Lord Joseph, I travelled far to reach Elysia, seeking refuge in desperation. Now, with Elysia under threat, how can I just stand idly by? Do you think me unworthy of being an Elysian citizen?" I take the opportunity to speak boldly, garnering nods of approval from Aelin and admiring looks from the surrounding soldiers.

"Hehe, I apologize for my oversight, Lord Mamoru... Kir, please take care of Lord Mamoru. Warriors... I'll return shortly!"

Joseph gestures decisively, mounts his horse with a swift motion, and rides off.

Kir, in a display of strength, hoists me onto his armoured steed, causing me some discomfort, but also a sense of exhilaration at being part of this pivotal moment.

 

At the gates of Elysia

A handsome man clad in red armour, with shoulder-length purple hair, coldly stares at the slowly opening city gates. His deep blue eyes constantly move in their sockets, as if rehearsing numerous possibilities for the upcoming negotiation in his mind.

Suddenly, a troop of cavalry, clad in grey armour and bearing flags emblazoned with a flying dragon emblem, charges out swiftly. They stop just ten steps away, startling the purple-haired man into trembling hands, almost instinctively drawing his sword. The soldiers behind him quickly surround him, shields and spears at the ready, as if a great battle is about to erupt.

"Hehe, long time no see, 'Ilvan the Torturer'. It's been fifteen years since Hot Spring Pass, hasn't it..." Joseph skilfully halts his horse, greeting the purple-haired man with the warmth reserved for an old friend.

The purple-haired man, Ilvan, furrows his brows as he sizes up Joseph. His expression shifts from cloudy to sunny, responding as if meeting an old friend, "Joseph, long time no see... You've aged quite a bit."

"And you're still as handsome and dashing. I'm envious. Do you have a secret for eternal youth?" Joseph jokes in his usual carefree manner.

"You're still the same... Enough pleasantries, I'm not here to exchange banter with you.

You have two options:

One, hand over Elysia and the <Holy Priest>. I, as a noble of the Solar Empire, guarantee the safety of all the demi-humans in Elysia and will spare your life.

Two, behind me stand forty thousand troops of the Solar and Faris Empires, along with three of the 'Seven Knights'. Tawania also has five thousand reinforcements on the way... Should you choose to resist, Elysia will be reduced to ashes after we breach the city!"

The purple-haired man, Ilvan, pauses briefly, his eyes scanning the immaculate white walls behind Joseph before continuing, "You know as well as I do the disparity in our forces. Taking Elysia is only a matter of time, Joseph. You know my principles, I hate..."

"Hate meaningless slaughter... You haven't changed all, Ilvan... Ah..." Joseph sighs deeply, his eyes twinkling with memories of battles fought alongside the purple-haired man, filled with emotions.

"If it were yesterday's me, I might have chosen to open the gates and surrender. After all, Elysia isn't the Hot Spring Pass, and I'm not so arrogant as to bury a hundred thousand lives with me. But I was wrong..."

Joseph turns his gaze back to the towering city walls, his eyes sweeping over the soldiers prepared to die, and then turns decisively to Ilvan,

"Behind these iron walls are a hundred thousand lives, each having found a hard-earned home.

A hundred thousand souls beginning anew with redemption.

I have no right to give up the homeland they chose, nor can I deny their determination to protect it.

This is the unyielding belief of Elysia, the indomitable will of a hundred thousand Elysians.

And I, Joseph Corrost, will see this belief through to the last moment of my life.

For Elysia! We FIGHT!"

At that moment, Joseph's figure shines like the rising sun. His resounding declaration ignites the soldiers' passion, and they chant in unison, "For Elysia! We FIGHT! For Elysia! We FIGHT! For Elysia! We FIGHT!" Aelin and I are swept up in this fervent atmosphere, smiling involuntarily in relief.

"Hehe, Joseph, you're still as annoyingly naïve as ever..."

Ilvan shakes his head with a bitter smile, then his expression turns serious, "That's exactly why... Elysia is the greatest threat to the Empire... And Joseph, you must die here! All troops, prepare to advance..."

Before Ilvan finishes his sentence, the tension in the air is shattered by the twang of a bowstring. An arrow whizzes past his head and hurtles towards the shocked Joseph. In the nick of time, a green-feathered arrow fires from behind Joseph, clashing mid-air with the incoming projectile, causing both to fall harmlessly to the ground amidst the ring of metal on metal.

"Aiya~ For a noble of the Solar Empire to resort to a sneak attack, how shameful. Touting honour while using such tactics – won’t this be a laughing stock if word gets out? Hmph!" Aelin, caressing her emerald longbow, looks scornfully at Ilvan, her disdain palpable.

Ilvan's face reddens in embarrassment and anger, his teeth clenched as he spits out, "Was it you... who did this? Lord Balrus!!!"

 

"Eh? It didn't hit? (chew) Strange, strange! I aimed right at his head~

Hey, silver-haired man (chew), why is your head still attached~" A young noble, dressed in fine clothing, steps out from behind Ilvan, chewing on a bloody cat ear. With wide eyes and a childish tone, he expresses his surprise.

"So you are the infamous [Blood Bow Child] , Balrus, one of the 'Seven Knights'... You really do look like a harmless child..." Joseph feigns calm, but there's an unmistakable unease in his voice facing this blood-mouthed youth.

"Hmm? You know me? (chew) Yay~ Wanna be friends? I might spare you if we're friends~ Here, have this ear, hehe~ I just cut it off from some worthless demi-kid (chew)~"

"Lord Balrus! Enough of your games! Get back in line, or... don't blame me for being... harsh!" Ilvan barks, his voice laced with threat.

"Oh... well, can't be helped then... Count Tarfa said never to make Ilvan angry, or the consequences would be severe (chew)~ Hehe, silver-haired man, looks like we can’t be friends after all~ Tsk tsk tsk," Balrus, seemingly excited, smacks his lips covered in blood, leaving behind a chilling smile as he turns to leave.

"Wait a minute! That demi-kid... is she still alive?!"

"Hmm? Of course, she's alive. Dead ones aren't fresh~ I plan to slowly savour her by cutting off her limbs one by one. Of course, the tastiest brain marrow I'll save for last. First, I'll make a hole in the top of her head, and then... Huh? By the way, who are you?"

"...You... Unforgivable..."

Perhaps it was the deep sense of responsibility as the "Saviour" that resonated within me, or maybe it was the memory of Lilifa's innocent smile. A torrent of emotions and memories engulfed me, swirling with pain and despair. I heard the feeble cries of the demi-kid, helplessly witnessing her body being torn apart, falling into an abyss of nothingness.

This sense of helplessness cut through me, bringing tears that I couldn't hold back. A surge of anger, so intense it was almost suffocating, rapidly spread through me, burning away the last remnants of my trust and affection for humanity.

"Unforgivable... You scum... UNFORGIVABLE! DIE!!!"

In a burst of rage, I pulled out Kir's sword and leaped towards Balrus, who seemed lost in his sadistic bliss.

"Lord Mamoru... please... calm... down..."

Suddenly, I felt weightless, and drops of blood slowly slid down the blade, staining my clenched fist.

I looked up to see Joseph, his right hand trembling as he firmly grasped my raised sword, speaking gently despite the pain, "Lord Mamoru... I'm sorry... Could you please step aside... For the sake of Elysia..."

"Elysia..."

In a daze, I saw visions of the shaman and Lisa waiting in the Camp, hoping for my safe return. A young man ascends the throne of Elysia, ruling with the admiration of women under his gaze.

"Hehe... I'm still that immature high school student..." I said with a self-deprecating shake of my head, regaining my composure.

"Thank you, Lord Joseph... I... lost control. Heal!"

Joseph watches me return to the ranks with his newly healed hand, then addresses the Solar-Faris allied forces loudly:

"The first and third largest empires on the continent have stooped to bullying a small, neutral city-state? You... must be so proud of yourselves! I wonder how the history books will record this sordid chapter... hehe."

His words stir unease among the Farisian soldiers.

Raised on high knightly principles and values, these soldiers from the foremost empire on the Western Continent uphold a code of honour and integrity. Although they understand that war inevitably involves killing and destruction, the dishonourable act of a powerful nation bullying a weaker one is a shameful aberration from their knightly conduct, especially embarrassing for the mighty Farisian military.

In contrast, the soldiers of the Solar Empire seem indifferent, lounging around with a lack of dignity and honour befitting soldiers.

"Hehe... Alright then, Ilvan, and the rest of the imperial alliance, we shall meet again soon..." Joseph leaves behind a mocking smile as he rides back into the city, escorted by his guards.

"Hey Ilvan, that elf lady is pretty strong, isn't she? I couldn't even see her status! Can you? And that 'Holy Priest', though he looks weak, has the same murderous aura as me~" Balrus, wide-eyed, gestures animatedly with his bloodstained bow.

Ilvan remains silent, his expression sombre as he watches Joseph and his company depart. 

1