Chapter Two: Dreams
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fiona and Horace froze, staring at him. “Y-you think a Hollow did this,” Fiona stated. She didn’t ask it as a question, yet Enoch felt like the question would have been less annoying. He scowled slightly at her, then gave a curt nod. “What makes you say that?” she asked.
“The black goo on his windowsill. My dream wasn’t prophetic or anything, just unfortunate in timing.” he said. Fiona and Horace both looked at each other, the apple still halfway to Horace’s mouth. Enoch rubbed his eyes, finishing his food. “I’m going to go tell Miss Peregrine.” Not waiting for a response, he walked out of the room and up the stairs. He strode down the hallway to the right, forgetting to knock before entering. Miss Peregrine was in the far corner of the room, and she quickly slammed a long drawer shut, turning and scowling at him.
“I told you to knock,” she said. Enoch mumbled an apology, and her face softened when he looked at her. “What happened while I was in here?” she asked softly.
“I found black goo on Jake’s windowsill. A Hollow. Chances are Jake’s dead.” he stated simply and coldly. Miss Peregrine shivered slightly at his tone of voice. His own voice sounded foreign; a dead thing slipping out of his mouth with each word. She sat down and ate a piece of candy, sucking on it and taking her time to respond.
“Well,” she said after a few minutes of silence. Enoch stayed by the door, his arms folded behind his back, not allowing a single thread of emotion in or out of his body. His skin felt cold yet it sweated, the contrast making him sweat more. “There is still a chance he is alive-” she began.
“He was taken by a Hollow,” he interrupted, putting emphasis on the word. “There is a chance he is alive, yes, but that chance is zero percent.” Enoch said, gazing back at her. Although he felt like shouting the words in despair at her, he managed to instead hiss them out with cold decency, Miss Peregrine shivering again.
“Enoch, for any normal circumstance yes, I would agree,” she began, wadding up her candy wrapper and throwing it away before starting again. Enoch’s eyebrows slammed together as her words wrapped around his ears. She had said normal circumstance, hinting, or rather just saying, that this was an abnormal case.
“What do you mean? This is normal. Someone was attacked by a Hollow and are now missing. Normal as normal can be with Hollow attacks.” he paused as Miss Peregrine put up her index finger, motioning for him to pause.
“Yes, but the Hollow got in the house. Using an analogy you seem to use often, why would a child only take one chocolate cake if they raided a bakery?” she asked. Something fired off in Enoch’s brain as he stared at the wall behind her, a perplexed look on his face.
“If the Hollow got in, how come Jake was the only one hurt in any way?” he asked quietly. Miss Peregrine nodded. “But it was a Hollow, I’m sure of that.” Enoch said. Miss Peregrine looked at him, biting her lip.
“Are you sure the goo looked like a Hollow had come?” she asked quietly. Enoch nodded vigorously. Miss Peregrine lightly pinched the bridge of her nose, closing her eyes and sighing slightly. “Okay, I’ll deal with this.” she said as she stood up from her desk, walking over to the door and opening it for Enoch. Enoch looked at her, confused as to why she wasn’t allowing him to help her.
“I can help,” Enoch said. “I’ve been working on another creature, it can lead me to Jake-” he paused once again as Miss Peregrine shook her head, her eyes closed, lips pursed. “Miss-” she gestured out the door and he left. The door closed behind him with a solid bang, the bolt sliding into its socket with a click that seemed to echo down the hall. Enoch straightened his shirt sleeves, putting a stern look on his face.
He walked around the corner and slammed into Fiona, who took one look into his face as he passed and decided to follow him. He walked downstairs and into the basement, leaving the door open behind him so Fiona could walk in. She closed the door and walked over to a table, leaning on it so she could watch what Enoch was doing.
Enoch picked up his scalpel and worked on the creature he had in front of him. After a few minutes, he picked it up and turned towards Fiona, holding it. He bent down and whispered to it, and it lit up, rising from his hand. But it didn’t move.
“What’s it doing?” Fiona asked. Enoch clenched his jaw.
“It’s searching for Jake.” he said.
“Does it normally take this long?” she asked after a few moments of silence.
“Only when the person is dead.” Enoch stated simply as he grabbed it and whispered to it, stilling it. Fiona’s face paled, and she stumbled towards the door, leaving Enoch alone in the basement. Enoch lip twitched as he stared at the creature. His arm flicked out and he threw it against the wall. It clanged loudly but didn’t break. Angrily, he stomped over to it and he stomped on it until it broke into pieces, the heart a bloody pile of veins and muscle.
He stepped back, taking a deep breath. His mind snapped back to the present, and he looked down at his shoe, shaking it off. He saw the wall spin and he put his hand up to his mouth, running to the other side of the room and vomiting into the trash can. He held it as his body shook.
Hugh saw him holding on to the trash can. He bent down and placed his hand on his back as he dry heaved. Enoch finally got a chance to breathe, and he leaned his head back, his eyes closed. “You alright Enoch?” he asked. Enoch nodded, wiping his face on his shirt sleeve. “You sure?” he asked. Enoch nodded and stood up, stumbling slightly but steadying himself against the chair next to him.
“Yeah,” Enoch said, faking a yawn. “I think I’m going to turn in for the night, catch a few more hours of sleep before the sun comes up.” he said. Hugh nodded and said goodnight over his shoulder. He carefully avoided the mess Enoch had created on the floor, then walked up the stairs and out of the basement. Enoch waited until the door clicked behind him before he sighed and sagged on the chair he was leaning against. He yawned and stared at the floor, his eyes slowly closing.
He woke up with a start. He was in his bed, the sun outside suggesting it was late in the morning. He tried to remember when he had dragged himself up there, but he couldn’t. All he remembered were the all too vivid images of Jake eyeless on the ground. Enoch rubbed his own eyes, blinking a few times to clear his vision.
“Look, sleeping beauty’s up,” Olive said as she walked into the room, a tray of eggs and bacon in her hand. “Just in time for breakfast too.” she said briskly as she put down the food. Enoch mumbled a thank you and she rolled her eyes at him.
Once the door closed, Enoch rubbed his eyes again, but not out of tiredness. He felt crushed thinking of how easily his world had disappeared. First Emma died, then Jake wasn’t the same before he vanished and probably died; his relationship with Olive severed forever, and Miss Peregrine was being suspicious. She had shooed him out of her office with pursed lips, which was never a good sign. Enoch turned away from the plate of food and stood up, feeling the cold floor beneath his feet, making him jump back into bed quickly.
He rubbed his feet to warm them back up, then hopscotched over to his closet, picking out his clothes for the day, straightening his shirt in the mirror. He scarfed down the food, then walked downstairs and artfully avoided the kitchen where everyone was eating. He walked down a long hallway to a room that was forgotten to most people but him and Jake; they were the only two that cared for the library. Enoch pushed open the door, breathing in the smell of the books, immediately feeling better at the comforting smell. 
But there was an uncomforting reason why he was there. He walked past the fictional books he loved to read, past the nonfiction section that Jake loved, and walked all the way to the back, to the section of mythical beings. He didn’t know what he was looking for, but he was going to find it. He ran his fingers over the first two books and nearly sneezed. He picked them up and brushed the dust off. He took them to the front of the library, setting them down and opening them.
After a while of reading, he walked back out to get his plate of food. He sat in the library for hours, the sun slowly making the room brighter as it entered the window then darker as it exited. The first book was about Greek mythology, and it talked about Hercules and whatnot. Enoch briefly scanned it, then realized what he was looking for. Monsters.
He quickly scooped up the two books he had picked out and stuffed them back into the bookshelf. He scanned the bookshelf until he found it: Mythical Monsters. He snatched it up and slammed it on the table. It was heavy and bulky, a cloud of dust coming from it when it hit the table. He opened the book and his smile fell.
It was in a different language.
He looked at the words, but they were like none he had ever seen before. They swirled and at times created shapes. The unusual words seemed like outright nonsense. He pinched the bridge of his nose and looked at the title. The title was also in the foreign language. He paused.
But hadn’t he read what the title said?
He stared at the book in slight fear and slammed it close, putting it back on the shelves. He walked out of the library, putting his dishes in the sink, walking up the dark staircase. He gently tiptoed back to his room and closed the door, changing into his pajamas. He pulled back the covers of his bed and the strange book stared back at him. He stumbled backwards. He picked up the book and threw it into the drawer in his nightstand, keeping it in an enclosed space.
How had it gotten there? What was that language? Where was Jake? How was Olive? Will he ever heal from these heartbreaks? Enoch shook his head as questions swirled around his head. He laid down on the bed and closed his eyes.

Enoch woke up in the same meadow he was in before. He stood up and looked around, waiting for the boy to show up. “Hey, you bastard!” he yelled. “I got questions for you! Show your ugly, cowardly ass!” Enoch yelled in anger when there was no sign of the boy.
“Easy sweetheart, you’ll wake the neighbors,” said a voice behind him. He whirled around and saw the leader boy, grinning condescendingly at him. He was dressed in a vintage but dark fashion, black pants and a matching buttoned dress coat. Enoch assumed he was wearing a white dress shirt underneath, since fancy, long, ruffled white cuffs covered his wrists. This fancy style was starkingly different to the last time Enoch had seen him in the alleyway. Enoch scowled at him.
“Where is he? Why can’t my creature find him? Did you kill him?” Enoch growled at the boy. He raised his eyebrows in faked innocence.
“I beg your pardon,” he said, “But could you enlighten on whom we are speaking about?” he asked, tilting his head upward and resting his chin on his hand leisurely. Something about his tone made Enoch light on fire, the rage licking him all over.
“You know who I am talking about!” he yelled. The boy just kept raising his eyebrow, staring at Enoch. “Jacob Magellan Portman!” he yelled. The boy nodded and pretended to think.
“Oh, him,” he said. “Do you want to see him?” he asked. Enoch nodded.
“No tricks, or memories, I want to see him present time.” Enoch said. The boy nodded and snapped his fingers. Enoch glared at him as nothing happened. The grass crunched behind him and Enoch turned. Jake stood there, looking past him as if he couldn’t see him.
“Attention,” the boy snapped. Jake stood up straight and focused on the horizon, his arms tucked behind his back the way he used to stand when his grandfather walked into the room.
“Jake?” Enoch whispered. Jake didn’t look at him. “Jake,” still he didn’t look. “What have you done?!” Enoch yelled at the boy.
“Oh, you want to talk to my little soldier, not just see him.” he said mockingly. “Oh dear. You seem to have caught me in a generous mood. Go on, chat.” he said. He snapped his fingers and all the tension in Jake’s body vanished. He blinked and shook his head, looking around.
“What the-” he paused when his eyes focused on Enoch’s face. “Enoch.” he breathed. “I-how-what-” he stammered.
“I don’t know how either of us got here.” Enoch said. “But we can get out.” Enoch held on to Jake’s hand and counted down. “Now, at the count of three, we pinch ourselves and wake up. One, two-” Enoch started.
“Wait,” Jake said, pulling his hand away. Enoch glanced up at him. “But- I’m not dreaming, I know that.” he said. Enoch mentally kicked himself. Of course he wasn’t dreaming.
“Ok, then I will somehow get you back, I promise,” he said. Jake nodded but something slid into his eyes, a fog that seemed to take him far away. Then he smiled at Enoch cynically.
“Or will you?” he asked as he pushed Enoch into a hole behind him. The hole swallowed Enoch up, leaving him in a swirling darkness of screaming voices. 
Enoch screamed as he saw the hole closing, the light diminishing. Something weighed on his chest as things tore at his limbs. His head felt like a watermelon under pressure, and he knew death was near, waiting to greet him. 

“Enoch, wake up!” Miss Peregrine’s crisp voice cut through his nightmare and dragged him back to the present. He sat bolt upright and saw everyone else staring at him. He took a deep breath, steadying himself. “Enoch, what happened?” Miss Peregrine asked softly. Enoch felt his face blanch at the memory of what he just dreamed of. Miss Peregrine placed her hand on his shoulder, steadying him as he shivered.
“Everyone, go back to your rooms, all is well. Sleep tight.” she said, dismissing everyone. After a few minutes, everyone made their way out of the room and soon the house was quiet. Miss Peregrine sat on the bed, facing Enoch. “Enoch, look at me,” Enoch raised his eyes to her face, his face still feeling cold and clammy. “What did you see?” she asked.
“I-I was in the same field again, but this time it took longer for the-” he paused, remembering that she didn’t know that he knew who that boy was. “For the stranger to show up. Then he procured Jake, but Jake wasn’t himself. His eyes were cloudy and he seemed to not realize I was there. Then the stranger said something about how I wanted to talk to him, not just see him, so he snapped his fingers. Jake seemed to melt slightly and seemed to recognize where he was again, then we talked and he pushed me into a hole where things were grabbing at me, my head was pressurized-” Enoch paused, taking a deep breath.
Miss Peregrine lightly placed her hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry,” was all she said before she lightly wished him a good night and left, closing the door softly behind her.
Enoch stared at the door in puzzlement. Why was she sorry? His head ached as his thoughts spun webs inside his head. He shook out the webs and laid back down, the soft pillow beneath his head.

“I see you wanted to come back for more,” Enoch opened his eyes and saw the boy standing next to him. He smiled maliciously at Enoch.
“No, I came for a decent night of sleep for once.” he said. The boy laughed slightly but said nothing more. “Well, if I am going to dream about you, then can I at least have a name?” Enoch asked. The boy’s eyes flicked over to Enoch’s, and for a split second Enoch could’ve sworn his bright blue eyes flashed gold.
“I have many names,” the boy said vaguely.
Enoch rolled his eyes. “Who are you?” he asked. The boy glared at Enoch with slight frustration.
“I am who I am and I am who I was, and I am who I will always be!” he said, his voice rising slightly. Enoch stared at him, the sentence rolling around in his head. Enoch just kept staring, and the boy scowled at him. “Oknok,” the boy said with a mysterious look. Enoch’s eyebrows scrunched and he suppressed a laugh.
“That’s your name?” Now Enoch had to laugh out loud. It was the funniest name he had ever heard. Oknok glared at him.
“Well then, my real name, is Ender,” Enoch stopped laughing.
“So should I call you Oknok or Ender?” he asked. Ender shrugged, his eyes blinking lazily. Enoch gave a slight nod, inferring many had called him other names to the point of where he just didn’t care anymore. “So, Ender, what are you doing here, and why do you have Jake?” Enoch asked. Ender laughed.
“You humans are very stupid if you think I am just going to spill my guts to you.” he said. Enoch stopped and thought about what he could do. Somehow he had to gain the trust of Ender.
“What if I told you I wanted to help you?” Enoch said quietly. Ender nearly died of laughter.
“Then-” he paused as he reigned in his laughter. “That would be the biggest joke of the century.” Ender paused and thought. “Second funniest joke of the century.” Enoch scrunched his eyebrows.
“What’s funnier?” he asked. Ender laughed a little more, but controlled his laughter.
“The joke that you think you are somehow going to save your friend.” Ender paused and looked sideways at Enoch. “Or maybe something more?” he asked slyly. Enoch recoiled.
“No!” he said forcefully. “I would never date Jake!”
Ender laughed softly. “You humans are too predictable.” he said. Enoch silently steamed, thoughts flying through his head mindlessly. “But, I have to admit, you are pretty funny,” he said. “Maybe I’ll keep you around,” he said. Enoch’s stomach dropped.
“What do you mean?” he asked, his voice quivering slightly. Ender turned slightly towards Enoch, his hands toying with the cuffs of Enoch’s sleeves. Enoch paused as Ender’s grin grew, but instead of fear, Enoch felt happiness. He smiled slightly to himself, realizing that Ender wanted him under his control. Gaining the trust of him then would be simple and easy. 
Enoch wiped the slight smile off his face and leaned in slightly, pretending to be mystified by Ender’s eyes. Ender’s smile grew as he leaned in. Enoch stumbled back slightly, pretending to snap out of something, and Ender’s grin lessened. Ender pushed Enoch backwards with his fingers, and Enoch stumbled back, his back hitting a chair as he fell into it.
Ender prowled towards Enoch, and Enoch felt a slight flicker of fear, but quickly swallowed it down before Ender saw it. Ender put his hand on Enoch’s shoulder, and Enoch kept eye contact, loosening his muscles to make it seem like he wasn’t in full control of his body. Ender’s smile returned as he placed his other hand on Enoch’s other shoulder, slowly lowering himself onto Enoch’s lap.
Enoch’s fingers tingled as fear spread through his body. He knew there was no going back after this point in time. What if he actually fell underneath Ender’s control? Would he die? What if something went wrong and Ender killed him now?  He blinked hard, clearing his mind of thoughts. He returned to focus on what Ender’s next move would be. Ender stared at Enoch’s lips. His eyes flicked up and paused, an almost hungry look eating away at Enoch as Ender’s eyes burned holes into his own. Ender cocked his head. Enoch swallowed, opening his lips slightly, looking down at Ender’s lips. Might as well get it over with, Enoch thought.
Ender took the bait and he bent down, kissing Enoch hard. Enoch felt something inside of him melt away, his legs and arms getting heavier. He tried to pull away, but Ender’s grip was too strong. Kissing Ender was like drowning in a sea of fire, the flames engulfing his entire being. Ender’s lips were soft and warm, unlike the rest of him, but there was a hard, edge to the kiss that left Enoch breathless. He found himself kissing back, his body responding to Ender’s touch. It was like he was under a spell, unable to resist Ender’s seductive power. He felt himself slipping away, falling deeper and deeper into Ender’s control.
But just as quickly as it had started, the kiss was over. Ender pulled back, a look of triumph on his face. Enoch sat there, stunned and confused. He didn’t know what had just happened or how he had let it happen. All he knew was that he had just given in to Ender’s control, and he didn’t know how to get out of it.
 When Ender pulled away, he bit Enoch’s lip slightly as he did. But Enoch didn’t notice, he didn’t notice anything. He felt numb, the kiss still lingering on him. Some sick, twisted part of him wanted another kiss, but most of him felt like it was buzzing. He opened his eyes and saw a slight fog misting everything.
Ender stood up and smiled coquettishly at Enoch as he started to walk away, and the small twisted part of Enoch took over.
Enoch surged up from the chair, the fog taking over. He couldn’t see what he was doing, but the sick, twisted part of him knew exactly what he was doing. He grabbed Ender’s hand and turned him around, slamming him against the wall. Ender looked at Enoch, surprised, but Enoch didn’t stop. He pushed himself against Ender, their lips pressing together, and when Enoch pulled away, gasping, Ender was smiling.
“Love the enthusiasm, champ,” he said, his eyes flashing gold. Enoch felt his lower body lean towards Ender, who was still on the wall. The smile faded. “But don’t do that again.” he said, pushing Enoch away from him and looked around them as if making sure no one had seen anything. Enoch shook his head, but the fog didn’t leave. He kept shaking his head and the fog just stayed. Ender laughed slightly as he wiped his mouth.
“Well, shall we go?” he asked, snapping his fingers. “Follow.” Enoch felt himself following, felt him falling under the spell. He struggled, but the fog took hold. He followed Ender, though he didn’t want to. They walked into the main room where there was a small staircase leading up to an elaborate chair, almost like a throne. “That’s mine,” Ender said, gesturing at it offhandedly. Enoch couldn’t move anything, his tongue felt like lead.
Ender stepped aside as the door in front of him opened. Enoch wanted desperately to look down but he couldn’t, his eyes were stuck. Whatever was on the table struggled against the bonds that held it. “Enoch?” a voice said. “Enoch!” The voice got louder and more desperate as the table wheeled forward, away from him. “Help me, please!” The voice rang in Enoch’s head, blowing the fog away. The ground shone with a light that Enoch hadn’t noticed before. He flicked his eyes at the table and saw Jake’s stricken face looking back at him. “Enoch! Help-help me please!” Enoch winked at him, and Jake scrunched his eyebrows at him. The table stopped as one of the doctors walked around, opening the door. Jake’s head whipped around and he started screaming. “No! No! Not again, no please, no,” he started sobbing as they dragged his table in, and soon his screams ended.
Enoch snapped his eyes back and stared at nothing again, maintaining the look of someone under control. Ender stepped forward slightly and peered at Enoch, and Enoch had to fight to stop himself from looking at Ender. Enoch kept staring at the wall. Something flickered in Ender’s eyes, and Enoch watched him with his peripheral vision. 
“Alright,” Ender said. “Now, you are a peculiar, right?” he asked. Enoch nodded. “And what is your special weird talent?” Ender asked with a fake intrigued voice. 
“I make inanimate objects come to life,” he stated. Ender’s eyebrows shot up.
“Wow, you’ll be very useful,” he said, a slight, wicked smile on his face. Enoch swallowed slightly, the fear rising in him once more. “But for now, you can rest here, I guess.” Ender showed Enoch a room, and Enoch was confused.
“But- aren’t I dreaming technically?” he asked. Ender smiled and cocked his head to the side, his crazed eyes never breaking contact with Enoch.
“Not really,” he said. “More like an out of body experience, if you believe in that crap,” he said. Enoch nodded, and Ender left him alone in the room. The room was small, but not too small. It had a bed and a nightstand, walls on all sides, and no windows.
Enoch sat down and stared at the wall for what felt like a second when Ender came back in, snapping his fingers and telling Enoch to follow.
“Now,” Ender said as he walked into a room, giving Enoch surgical gloves and a mask. “Since you are good at bringing dead things back to life, I presume you are good with the human anatomy?” he asked. Enoch shook his head no, but he felt himself say yes. “Good. I have an assignment for you.”
Enoch shuddered at what he possibly had to do. Ender opened the door at the end of the room, walking out into the room he saw Jake tortured in when he had his first dream. Now, Jake laid still on the table, an anesthesia mask covering his mouth and nose. 

Charlie ran into the infirmary, a smile on his face as he hopped up into Miss Peregrine’s lap. “Guess what?” he said, his toothy grin showing a mouth full of chocolate. Miss Peregrine cocked an eyebrow at him, questioningly. “Fiona gave me chocolate.” he said, chewing. Miss Peregrine smiled at him but didn’t say anything. She stared back at Enoch. Charlie followed her gaze and he swallowed the chocolate. “Is he going to be ok?” he asked in his small three year old voice. Miss Peregrine nodded. “You sure?” he asked.
“Yes, Charlie. In fact, I think he’ll wake up in a few hours, that’s how sure I am of his recovery.” she said, a fake cheery note in her voice. Charlie smiled at her and hopped down off her lap, waving goodbye to Enoch before leaving.
Miss Peregrine’s fake smile fell off her face as she ensured Charlie had vanished. She walked over to the heart monitor and checked Enoch’s pulse with it, making sure it was working properly. She stared down at Enoch, placing her finger beneath his nose. She sighed with relief slightly when she felt his exhalation of breath.
“Just keep breathing,” she said, sitting back down.

“Wh-what is going on here?” Enoch asked. Ender furrowed his eyebrows at him.
“Jake’s a lab rat, to put it in terms you understand.” he said. “Now, put the scalpel on his chest and cut, I need to conduct a study.” he said. Enoch moved his hand slightly, but kept the blade away from Jake.
“Why? What is this study of yours?” he asked. Ender’s eyes narrowed as he stared at Enoch’s gloved hand.
“Cut him.” he said, his voice silky smooth. Enoch’s hand twitched, but it didn’t move. Ender shifted his position and Enoch saw something black on his left forearm, barely visible under the sleeve. Words. Enoch wondered what it could be, and curiosity took the best of him. Enoch reached over, grabbing Ender’s wrist and pulling down the sleeve to read. 
“Creature of Hell, Human Property-” Enoch began; but before he could finish, Ender struggled to free his arm.
“Stop!” he yelled, and freed himself from Enoch’s grasp and pulled his arm behind him. 
Ender’s eyes widened as he looked up at Enoch. “N-no, not possible,” he took a step back, as if he feared Enoch.
“Ender,” Enoch said, trying to make his voice sound as smooth as Ender’s. “What is going on? What is that on your arm?” Ender just stepped back, shaking his head.
“Goodbye, Enoch,” he said, his voice quivering. Enoch stared at him, his eyebrows furrowed.

“Wait,” Enoch said. He felt his chest rise and lower, his heart beating inside his chest. He took a few breaths, keeping his eyes closed, wishing the room to come back.
He heard movement but still didn’t open his eyes. “I-I don’t know, he just said ‘Wait’,” Horace’s hushed voice lilted over to him as someone sat down on the bed he was on.
“Enoch?” Miss Peregrine’s voice said. Enoch opened his eyes and was disoriented as he stared up at a foreign ceiling. He blinked a few times, then recognized the familiar lining; he was in the infirmary.
Enoch sat up, Miss Peregrine standing up as well. “Wh-why am I in the infirmary?” Enoch said, his voice dry. His throat felt like it was splitting in two, and his stomach felt like an open hole. 
“Enoch, don’t talk too much, stay lying down,” Miss Peregrine said as she readjusted the pillows to a sitting up position, forcing him gently back onto the pillows. “Do you know how long you were out?” she asked. Enoch shrugged.
“A few hours?” he asked. Miss Peregrine closed her eyes and swallowed, and when she opened her eyes they were steady, though Enoch knew her better and knew that steady gaze was holding back tears.
“Enoch!” a small voice sounded from the hallway, but Horace walked over, keeping him out. A small wail resounded and Horace’s shoulders slumped in defeat as he bent over and picked someone up. He turned around and carried Charlie over to Enoch. “Enoch!” Charlie said again, bouncing in Horace’s arms. Enoch smiled at Charlie, then started coughing as Charlie landed on him, knocking the wind from him.
“Sorry,” Charlie said in his little voice, though the tone didn’t sound apologetic. He curled up next to Enoch, resting his head in the crook of Enoch’s arm. Enoch smiled at Charlie, bending his arm a little more to support Charlie. He looked back up at Miss Peregrine, and his smile faded.
“You were out for three days.” she said, her lip quivering slightly as she bit it, stopping it. “Everyone thinks you’re dead or in a state of death.” she said, looking at Charlie. Enoch’s mouth hung open.
“Wh-what?” he coughed a little. Miss Peregrine shooed Horace away with orders to get some water and to keep the crowd that was gathering outside away. “What do you mean three days?” he asked.
“For three days you didn’t move, didn’t speak, and at times I swore you didn’t breathe. The only thing that assured me something wasn’t seriously wrong was the fact that your heart never stopped.” she said. Enoch became uncomfortably aware of his bare chest, three heart monitoring stickers stuck seemingly at random on his chest, hooking up with a machine; but his trained eyes noted the advanced thinking to the placement of each sticker. The machine beeped steadily as the line ticked up and down. Horace came back with the water, then was shooed out.
Enoch sat up and sipped the water, reviewing his dream. Miss Peregrine stared at him, her eyes reflecting the hunting spirit of the bird she was named after. “Enoch, tell me what happened, every little detail.” Enoch swallowed hard, his dry throat scratching.

 

0