Intermission: Big Bird/Lord Harken
110 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A large—eight foot tall—full bird person sat on a metal pole. Its ends were extended to either side of the large wood cave. This was their hideout.

The tree was as wide as a stadium and as tall as a skyscraper. The Golden Wing Bandits made their home in one of the giant redwood trees of the South Fallen Forest. Their leader was the only one to sit on the metal pole. He calmly plucked grime from his golden feathers. His actions made him seem calm, but there was fury hidden in his golden eye. The other eye had a golden patch over it. It was long gone from this world. The same was true for his left wing. It was detached from the base, making him flightless.

He wore an expensive white vest, and a few golden chains hung from his neck as he looked over the birds on the floor of the wood encampment. None of them dared to speak. Their leader, Big Bird, would never tolerate such actions. He extended his only remaining wing as the hundreds gathered remained silent. It was his time to speak.

“It has been a long time my brethren.” His voice was deep but loud and echoed over the entire place. “These past seven years our name has been silent. The Fallen Kingdom doesn’t remember our existence. They grow comfortable in their domes. They think they are safe.”

He sneered. “Ever since that raid took over half of our members… Ever since that damnable Nychuro plucked this very wing…” He looked over to his missing wing. It was his reminder. Never again would he make the same mistake. “But back then our band was small. We barely had over 50 members.”

To the disbelief of the many birds there—except those in his inner circle—Big Bird shed tears as his voice became shaky. The birds gathered bowed their heads. Especially those that were at the raid. They would never forget that day. “The h-honorable birds that survived the raid have been named The Golden Chariot. Does anyone have a problem with that!?”

““NO SIR!!!!”” A chorus of birds echoed their sentiment.

Big Bird grinned as his golden eye became even fiercer. “Good! Excellent! We have long since clung to the shadows. I’m sure you’ve all become restless. But we will wait no longer!”

“HAAAH!” The restless flock yelled in delight from the words of their leader.

Big Bird raised his wing, silencing the masses. “I have heard your sentiment! Now Goro, leader of The Golden Chariot, come forth!”

Goro flapped his black wings, taking to the air. Like his leader, he was a full bird. Of all the Golden Wing Bandits, he was the wisest. Still, he was quite large, but as he landed next to his leader, anyone could see how Big Bird dwarfed him by almost 2 feet.

He had scars of battle across his black beak. Hey may have been the intelligence of their band, but when it came time, he would join them on the front lines. Around his head he had a golden helmet that covered all except for his beak. At the ends of the helmet were pointed wings. Across the rest of his body was golden chain mail armor, the symbol of The Golden Chariot.

Big Bird, for his part, grinned at his brother in arms. “Now then… Tell the masses what you told me.”

Goro’s expression didn’t change as he looked over the crowd. His eyes remained as cold as they always were. Only a few had ever seen him smile. Those were usually the ones that had their life snuffed out.

Either way, Goro answered the summons of their leader, and looked over at the meeting of 311 members before speaking. “It is just as our venerable leader has said. I have news to share with all that are gathered today…” His voice came out as raspy, and it was barely loud enough to reach the ears of the birds at the edges.

Only one member, a new recruit, actually had the gall to cut him off. “SPEAK UP! I CAN BARELY HEAR CRI…”

No sooner than the words were spoken did a golden beam of light pierce the parrot’s head. The caster was none other than Big Bird himself.

The birds next to the poor recruit trembled. They were wiser than the now dead bird. None of them let a single squeak out.

As they looked at Big Bird with fear in their eyes, they were in disbelief. Not because Big Bird could do that, but because he was actually crying. “I-it didn’t have to be th-this way…”

He put his head down in sorrow. He was mourning for the lost soul. The room was so quiet not even a squawk could be heard. Big Bird breathed deeply as he reeled himself in, becoming composed. “Please, take our comrade out of here someone. We will give him a proper burial.”

“Aye, Sir!” Another member of The Golden Chariot grabbed the lifeless body before flying out of the meeting.

“Members of The Golden Chariot, please brief Juran later…”

““Yes, Sir!””

“Please continue,” Big Bird said.

Goro could tell his boss was struggling to keep it together. He opted to get them up to speed quickly.. “As I said, my flock has gathered some pleasant information. A large prey has entered our cage… This one a princess.”

Gasps could be heard from the birds who weren’t still trembling from Big Bird’s wrath.

“SILENCE!” Wisps of golden mana surrounded Big Bird as he raised his wing yet again. No one dared to make another peep. “Go on Goro…”

“Yes, Sir,” Goro said. “The princess has entered our cage, and it plans to leave soon. There is no way we will let such a big fish escape. We must capture it before it reaches Kalameet’s domain. There will be no killing the target. The ransom from this will be worth more Fallen Gold Coins than all of our coffers combined. The target is… Enora Twilight! I am saddened to say that not everyone will be able to go on the hunt. Those that will go, your flock leaders will give out the details. Those that don’t will receive different missions… I trust that everyone will fulfill their role.”

““YES, SIR!””

Big Bird took the reins of the meeting back from his brother. “One last thing. There is a human girl with her, but she isn’t vital to our cause. If you see her, take her as a hostage. I am sure the vampire will be easier then… If that proves to be impossible, kill the girl. This meeting is adjourned. We all have a funeral to attend.”

Annicri had just walked out of Lord Harken’s office with the news that Enora and her lover weren’t going to see him.

“So that’s the deal huh?” Harken asked.

“It is just as you had guessed, my lord.” The black harpy, Lord Harken’s Steward, said, pouring a glass.

“Tea huh?”

“This one was made with poulpru, so that your beak can taste sweet nectar.”

Lord Harken looked over at his steward. He couldn’t remember how long his steward had been his trusted right wing, but now he would never let Simon, his personal raven, go. “I should really send a letter after all.”

“But, My lord---”

“Cut the ‘my lord’ already. I told you to call me Pier when we are alone just like I told her.”

The raven frowned, but he heeded his lord's words. “Yes, m-m…Pier.”

Lord Harken sighed. “Anyways, what are your thoughts?”

The raven placed a wing beneath his chin as he seriously pondered Pier’s question. “I think you are caught between a rock and a Bacaw. If I am to be frank, M-Pier.”

“Just call me Lord…”

“Thank you, My lord.”

“But you are right. What am I supposed to do? A princess shows up in my county, and the princess is none other than the missing Twilight Princess. She asks me to hide her name and status. It was such a pain to get those birds to be quiet.” He held his head in exasperation.

“Yes, My lord, I am sure they appreciate the paid leave…”

Lord Harken glared at his steward. “Making jokes now are we? Someone has gotten bold. You can be casual like that, but you still call me ‘My lord’.”

“Haha, that is but a matter of principle, My lord.” As Pier’s mug became dry, his servant moved to pour another.

“Diligent as always, but that is why I trust you the most.” Ever since Harken had become a Count, Simon had never let him fall behind on paperwork. Lord Harken chuckled as he gazed into the eyes of his servant, who was above all his best friend. “The question has become if I am more scared of his daughter, the queen, or the king himself.”

“You scared of anyone, My lord? Laughable…”

Lord Harken aimed his dagger eyes at the sly bird. “Big Bird is a different story, but at least that menace is dead now. Shall he not rest in peace.”

“That is a lot of venom for your cousin, My Lord.”

“Cousin or not, I don’t care. The bastard is dead, and I say good riddance. At least his brother had the good sense to become a guild master here. Back to the topic of the letter… Big Bird will sour my tea.”

“Nothing could sour that tea, My lord. That would be an offense to my honor as your humble servant. You want to send a letter to her father, the king? Is that right, My lord?”

“Yes, I know what I told her, but this and that are different things. I don’t want to face the wrath of that man. If he finds out his daughter visited my city, and I didn’t make it known to him… I am terrified of what could happen. Bring a quill and a parchment. Annicri will be the one to deliver it. She has always been the fastest of the guards.”

“It shall be done, My lord.” Simon bowed as he handed his lord the paper and quill, not forgetting the ink. Of course the quill was plucked from himself.

As Simon left the room, Count Pier Harken started writing his letter.

Dear Your Majesty King,XXXXXX, Twilight,

This is a matter of utmost urgency. Your daughter, The Lost Princess Enora Twilight, has been found. She made her way into my humble city through unknown means. It was not clear to me how she got here, but it is clear that she is your daughter. It is much to my chagrin, and I regret to inform you, that your daughter is no longer in my County. Her goal lies elsewhere beyond the domain of Kalameet. I have naught an idea if she plans to visit you on her travels, but what I do know is that she has a lover. Please, if you have any complaints, do not unleash them upon Annicri. She is but a messenger.

-Best Regards, Count Pier Harken

-Fallen Kingdom, Fallicri

As the letter was finished, both Simon and Annicri had come back. Lord Harken held the parchment out to Annicri after stamping it with his insignia.

“Lord Harkencri, with all due respect… Do I realcri have to?”

“I am sorry Annicri. If there was someone faster. But you are the fastest of the guards, and you are better at talking than most.” Pier looked over at Simon as he said that.

Simon smiled back as if he wasn’t talking about him.

“I understand, Lord Harkencri. I will have it done.”

He could only look at poor Annicri with eyes of pity. There was no telling what that father would do when he found out about the news. “Thank you, Annicri. You will be rewarded for your troubles, and before you go, take this.”

Lord Harken reached into his desk and pulled out a coin pouch. The thing was as large as a poulpri and it jingled as he tossed it to her. Annicri caught it easily in her talons.

“This is heavycri! What are these? Mythricri?”

Lord Harken stood silent for a second too long.

“CRIII aren’t serious!?”

“This is for your travels and your troubles. I won’t let you leave this manor with less.”

She held her head in exasperation before sighing. “I am leaving before cri change your mind, Lord Harken!”

“I wouldn’t dream of… and she’s gone…I pray for your safe journey and your safe return, Annicri.”

5