Chapter 11: Mana Press
75 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We all sat on the grass after feeding the piris. They ate the buckets of food like there was no tomorrow.

Ethora pulled out a pan and a metal plate with orange rings. “Do all of you like fried vegetables?”

“I don’t have a problem with it,” I said.

“Me neither.”

“I’ll pass,” Enora said.

I hadn’t seen her eat anything except for my blood. At least, she looked healthy. Back on earth, she was more pale, and her body was cold. Her skin seemed healthier here, and her touch felt warmer.

Ethora touched the crystal attached to the plate, and the orange rings lit up. I could feel it heating up from where I sat.

“Is that also an enchanted thingy?”

“This little thing is enchanted with a fire circuit. They are a bit expensive, but the price is worth it. You really don’t know much do you?”

I scratched my cheek awkwardly.

“She was sheltered,” Enora said.

“A prominent family then?”

I shook my head. “It’s complicated...More importantly, Enora! Magic time!”

“Yes, yes I know you are dying to learn, dork.”

Nychibi actually sat up and stared at Enora intently. “M-mind if I listen?”

“Maybe if you promise to be nicer to Melle.”

The green bird’s voice went quiet. “I promise…”

“You promise what?”

“I promise I will be nicer to Melle! There!” Nychibi got loud as her face went red.

“Then I guess it is fine, so just sit there quietly.”

“Ugh…”

“I will start from the top.” We all listened as Enora continued. “For the creatures and people of Yazel, mana flows through them as it does in the environment, and every creature will have an affinity or propensity to at least one element.”

“E-even me?”

“Even you, Nychibi…”

Nychibi grinned, her mean eyes becoming a little bit softer.

“The key to being able to learn magic is learning to sense mana. Sure you can use spells without being able to sense ambient mana, but it isn’t recommended.”

“Why is that?” I asked.

“That is a simple answer...” Enora seemed to be getting into it. The only thing she was missing were teacher glasses and a long stick. She would probably look cute in glasses. “Pay attention, dork!”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“Now then, the reason you shouldn’t use mana like that is because of the danger. To use an analogy you might understand, it would be like trying to use nuclear energy without knowing anything about radiation. For you Nychibi… It would be like trying to fly without knowing the air. Basically, you can’t protect yourself from harmful magic without sensing it.”

“Oh! I see!”

“I get that part, but how do you sense mana in the first place?” Nychibi asked.

Ethora had started placing purple mushrooms—bushrooms—in the pan as well as other vegetables. Many of them I had never seen before. My attention snapped back to my lover.

“That one is harder to explain. Mana flows through the environment, but for me, sensing it came naturally. I have heard that some people have to spend quite a while to sense it. Once you are able to sense mana, using the flow of mana in your body becomes easier. There is an easier way to jumpstart the process. But it isn’t—”

“What is that!?” Nychibi jumped.

“Like I was saying, it isn't really recommended.”

“Why? If there is a way I don’t care if it is dangerous! I need it.”

Enora sighed. “I knew it would be like this. I know Melle would be fine, but the feeling will be similar to having a lake poured on your head all at once. You won’t die, but you are very likely to collapse. Many people experience trauma afterwards.”

“I don’t care! I will do anything so please! Please… I need…to be stronger at all costs.”

“Why are you so desperate?”

“There is something I have to do. I have to…please.” Nychibi prostrated herself. She had completely abandoned all of her stubborn pride.

“Dinner is done. Whatever you are planning I don’t want any part of it, so if you are going to do it, please do it away from me.” Ethora said, pulling the pan off the plate and pouring servings into empty bowls.

“We will continue this after you two eat.”

“But!”

“No buts. I have already decided to do it, but you have to eat first. It is best to prepare yourself.”

“What about me?” I asked, pointing at myself.

“I know you will be fine. You have as much magic power as me. Plus, you are a stubborn dork.”

“I am not! What part of me is stubborn?”

“So, you don’t deny being a dork?”

“M-maybe…”

Nychibi had already started to scarf down her food when I looked into my bowl. The scent wafting into my nose was earthy, but it was a good smell. Still, I was reluctant about eating purple mushrooms. I looked from the bowl at Ethora, her own lips turning upwards into a faint grin. I knew I would feel bad if I didn’t eat it. I closed my eyes and grabbed the wooden spoon, shoving a spoonful in my mouth.

It had an oily taste like it was prepared with olive oil. The stringy asparagus plant tasted sort of like green beans. I chewed on the purple mushroom next. To my pleasant surprise the texture was decent. It wasn’t too chewy, but the taste was more meaty. It was weird eating a purple mushroom that tasted like a hamburger. The last ingredient was basically an onion. All together it was good.

It was good that I wasn’t a picky eater, and Nychibi also enjoyed it. Hers was already down, and she was reaching her bowl out for seconds. Ethora obliged the silent request, pouring her another bowl.

“Thank you for the food, Ethora.” I said, holding my tummy. With the meal complete, I felt great. Enora stared at my chest when I stretched my arms. “Hey! It’s time for you to do what you said!”

“Fine. Ethora, it would be better for you to wait in the carriage,” Enora said.

“Right, I will carry the crate back. You should hurry though. We don’t want to delay too much.”

Enora looked at Nychibi and I. “Don’t worry, it won’t take too long. You two can follow me,”

Nychibi and I followed Enora further away from the carriage. Forest surrounded us from all sides. To the east where we were heading, there were trees further away. After following her for a distance, we stopped.

“This should be far enough. Are you both ready?”

““Yes!””

“Prepare yourselves.”

I gulped, waiting to see what she’d do. A gentle wind blew across the grassland, dancing on my skin.

Black mist surrounded Enora, and the air surrounding us became heavier. It felt like heavens were trying to push me down. It was as if I had entered Jupiter’s atmosphere, and it became hard to stand. I couldn’t move anything, my whole body became heavy.

Nychibi wasn’t as fortunate. She collapsed to the ground, her body splayed out.

My head started to feel dizzy. I felt like I would vomit, but soon the intense feeling, stronger than any g-force I had felt, vanished. My legs became wobbly, and I almost fell before Enora caught me with her shoulder. A prickly sensation had started to spread its way throughout my body.

“So itchy!” My entire body grew tingly.

“You will have to bear with it. If you itch yourself, I will put a cone on your head.”

“Am I a dog now!?” I eyed Nychibi who struggled to keep her eyes open as she laid on the grass. “Is she going to be okay?”

“I think the chibi will be fine.”

“It’s Nai…chi…” The harpy’s eyes closed.

“Looks like we will have to carry her back.”

“I can do it!” I said as I wobbled over towards Nychibi.

“Are you sure?”

“I am slowly feeling better,” I said, picking up Nychibi and putting her on my back. She was lighter than I expected. I figured she wasn’t going to be very heavy, but it was more like carrying a child. “Why am I so itchy?”

“That is the feeling of mana. Your body has been opened to it. The itchy feeling will fade eventually. I basically just pressed really dense mana onto your body. If your pores could open it would be like opening them to a waterfall, and now you can sense water.”

I beamed at Enora. I would jump and hug her if my hands were free. The pricklies attacked me from all over, but I was happy. I was taking my first steps towards using magic.

4