Chapter 3: Monsters
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at the spot where Leng had been standing, but it was almost like he had never been there in the first place. There was no smoke, light, or even a fading of his body.

 

Shaking my head I looked around again.

 

The forest around me was alive with strange noises. Unseen creatures rustled in the underbrush, and eerie calls echoed through the trees. The moon above cast an otherworldly glow, illuminating the path ahead.

 

Taking a deep breath, I clenched my fists and focused on the task at hand. According to Leng, my first trial involved facing the monsters of Lunaro and absorbing their essence through the Soul Coin. It sounded like a bizarre video game quest, but the reality was all too tangible.

 

I opened the Seeker's Journal to the first blank page and stared at it. "How am I going to fight a monster?!"

 

As if in response, a small humanoid-looking dog hopped out of the bushes. It was holding a crude short ax, but the look in its eyes sent shivers down my spine.

 

What was I supposed to do?!

 

Blue light pulled my eyes down to the book, and there was now an entry for the creature in front of me.

 

Name: Lesser Wolfold Pup

Creature Type: Wolf Monster

Attributes: Lesser Wolfold Pup is a small, aggressive creature found in the lower realms of Lunaro. Possesses enhanced agility and speed. Attacks with its sharp teeth and crude short ax. 

Weaknesses: Vulnerable to ice-based attacks.

Threat Level: Very-Low

 

My heart raced as I read the entry, realizing that I was about to face my first monster. The pup growled, its eyes fixed on me. I took a step back, my mind racing to come up with a plan.

 

Remembering the weakness listed in the journal, I glanced around, hoping to find something I could use to my advantage. There was nothing.

 

The creature screamed out a strange sound and then rushed me with its ax raised.

 

Instinct kicked in, and I dodged to the side just in time to avoid the pup's crude attack. The pup stumbled forward, giving me a moment to gather my thoughts. Gripping my fists, I focused on the elemental powers that Leng mentioned.

 

"Ice," I muttered to myself, hoping that the newfound abilities were as real as the monsters.

 

As if in response, a cold sensation enveloped my hands, and small ice crystals formed in the air. Channeling that energy, I thrust my hands forward, releasing a burst of freezing energy toward the pup.

 

The Lesser Wolfold Pup yelped as the ice hit it, slowing its movements. Seizing the opportunity, I lunged forward, delivering a swift kick to its side. As I did, the pup swung its ax. The Axe cut through my pants, but my kick sent the pup flying, crashing into a tree.

 

I bit down hard on my lip as I collapsed, trying not to look at my leg. I didn't have time to think about it!

 

The cold had taken its toll on the creature, and it struggled to get back on its feet. Gritting my teeth against the pain, I got up, and rushed over, ripping the ax from the creature's hands.

 

I had never killed anything before in my life, but the blood coming from my leg and my adrenaline didn't care what I had done. I brought the ax down on the Lesser Wolfold Pup's head, but the creature dissipated into a mist of blue energy just as I felt the skull crack. I stumbled forward from my momentum, but the energy flowed into the Soul Coin in my chest, and I felt a wave of warmth over my body.

 

A message appeared in the Seeker's Journal:

 

Defeated 1 Lesser Wolfold Pup

Gained Ice Chopper: While wielding any type of ax, the weapon receives a Minor Ice Blessing as long as you are holding it. Minor Ice Blessing enchants the target with the Ice Element but does not increase the damage of the weapon.

 

I looked down at my legs which had been cut deeply, but the wound was gone, only the blood remaining. 

 

Then my legs gave out as exhaustion hit me suddenly. It felt like the world was suddenly pressing down on me, and my body had no energy. 

 

Panic started to set in as my eyes tried to close, but I fought against the feeling. The last thing that I needed was for another monster to come when I was like this, but none did.

 

I ended up lying on the ground for what I would assume was about 30 minutes, but my phone was missing. While I had been lying around, I had checked my pockets, wondering if anything had been brought over with me. I knew I had my phone and keys, along with some change, but they were all gone. Not like any of that would help me in this world.

 

When I was finally able to pull myself off the ground, clouds filled the sky, and the forest became pitch black. My eyes had somewhat gotten used to it, but the odd break in clouds still made it hard for my eyes to stay adjusted.

 

Rather than going to explore, I climbed a tree till I was about 15 feet off the ground. Once I finally got myself somewhat comfortable, I let out a barely audible sigh, thinking about everything that had just happened.

 

The reality of my situation hit me like a ton of bricks. I was in a mysterious world, facing monsters, and wielding newfound abilities. Leng had thrust me into this bizarre existence, and there was no turning back.

 

I opened the Seeker's Journal to review the information about the Lesser Wolfold Pup and the ability I had gained. The journal had become a vital tool, documenting my encounters and providing insights into the creatures of Lunaro.

 

The entry about the Ice Chopper ability detailed the enchantment it bestowed upon any ax I wielded. It was a minor blessing, but the concept of gaining abilities through defeating monsters was both fascinating and daunting.

 

As I sat on the tree branch, I pondered my next move. Leng had mentioned that I needed to explore, face challenges, and grow stronger. The forest around me seemed vast and mysterious, with untold dangers lurking in the shadows.

 

Considering that I had been up all day, the logical part of me said that I should try to get some sleep, but it was weird. While I knew I would have trouble sleeping in a dangerous forest, I just wasn't tired. I wasn't sure if that had something to do with what happened before or not, but I still felt like I should be tired.

 

Why did I even fall in the first place? My body had been so tired, and I could have slept then, but I had been worried about a monster coming. I tried looking in the book, but there was nothing.

 

Thinking back to my conversation with Lang, he mentioned that using the elemental energy used my own energy. If that were the case, I would have to stop trying to use it for now. This time I was lucky, but what would happen next time if I couldn't move, or get up?

 

Taking a deep breath in, I sighed. This was all way too much for a 16-year-old. Sure, fantasy worlds sounded cool, but that cut from the ax had been real, and so had the pain. If it weren't for my adrenaline, I probably would have died.

 

For the rest of the night, I sat thinking about home. 

 

People wouldn't miss me. 

 

I had made myself into an outcast with my friends, and anyone that tried to get close to me. I had a case worker that came to check up on me, but she would probably just report me missing, and move on. I could have gone to a foster home, but I decided that doing things on my own was the best way.

 

And here I was, alone again, but things felt different in this world. I still felt my melancholy, but now I also felt fear mixed with curiosity. It was strange, but I felt more alive in this world.

0