Chapter 109 – Touring Chang’an
174 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The next day, rhe carriage of the Great Chu delegation slowly drove out from the official residence of Honglu Temple, parading through the streets of Chang'an.

Inside the carriage, Fan Li lay in the most comfortable posture, completely ignoring the women in the vehicle. However, the one sharing the carriage with him was not Princess Chang Le. The princess had been summoned to Weiyang Palace and accompanied the Emperor of Han every day. At this moment, the one riding in the carriage was none other than Sage Ruler Han Yue.

"What exactly do you want to do?" Sage Ruler Han Yue questioned coldly.

"Tour the streets." Fan Li laughed, "This duke has just arrived in Chang'an and wants to enjoy the beautiful sights of the city. They say 'Hundreds of thousands of households are like pieces on a Go board, twelve streets are like vegetable garden plots', isn't the Sage Ruler curious?"

His casual question happened to hit the mark in Sage Ruler Han Yue's mind. She had a poor childhood and was fortunate enough to enter the Dao and cultivate, never having enjoyed a single day of secular prosperity.

After becoming a Sage Ruler of the Pure Lands, in order to maintain the image of being aloof and detached from the world, she dared not show even half a hint of material desire.

The glorious sights of Chang'an had already moved her heart long ago. The problem was that Fan Li was Sage Ruler Han Yue's assassination target. Touring Chang'an together with him, wasn't that absurd?

‘Fan Li must be relying on being in public, making it inconvenient for me to make a move and assassinate him!’ Sage Ruler Han Yue thought angrily in her heart. This time, she had guessed correctly.

When Fan Li went out with Sage Ruler Han Yue, as soon as the carriage left Honglu Temple, the news had already reached the ears of Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Quan.

Inside Chang'an city, the eyes and ears of these three families were everywhere. No matter where the delegation's carriage went, its whereabouts were accurately grasped.

Fan Li was also helpless. It was a rare trip to Chang'an city, it would be a pity not to look around. But if he wanted to enjoy himself without having to guard against Han Yue's hidden schemes at all times, the best way was to keep her by his side. Otherwise, how could Fan Li defend against the assassination of a third-tier Great Vehicle Realm expert?

‘Forget it, there are still a few days until the ceremony, there will always be opportunities to make a move in secret. I also rarely leave the Pure Lands, it would be a pity not to tour Chang'an while I have the chance!’ Thinking like this, Sage Ruler Han Yue also gave up the idea of taking action.

Touring Chang'an. Fan Li's first goal was to seek out delicious food.

What was "shui pen yang rou" (lamb in a water basin)? Which one was "hu ma bing" (sesame cake)?

Fan Li didn't go to those famous restaurants with renowned chefs, he specifically targeted street stalls and even peddlers.

"Fire crystal persimmons~~~!"

Hearing someone hawking, Fan Li's eyes lit up. He stopped that peddler and asked, "Are you really selling fire crystal persimmons?"

Seeing Fan Li's extraordinary attire and bearing, with a luxurious carriage behind him that only officialdom could use, the peddler was so frightened that he was about to kowtow on the spot.

"Hey, hey, hey, I'm here to buy, you're here to sell, what are you kneeling for?" Fan Li stopped him with a laugh, "Quickly tell me, are these really the legendary fire crystal persimmons?"

The peddler was scared silly and stammered, "This humble one... this humble one is indeed selling fire crystal persimmons, but I'm afraid... I'm afraid they may not be the legendary items you speak of, sir."

Only then did Fan Li realize he misspoke. In his previous life when he chased dramas, he was captivated by the fire crystal persimmons in a hugely popular period drama and thought about them for a long time. But now that he was actually in Chang'an, fire crystal persimmons were just an ordinary thing, how could they be considered "legendary"?

"Give me ten jin (≈ 5kg)." Fan Li smiled and casually tossed the peddler a gold bean.

In this world, not everyone had the means to cultivate. Besides talent, one needed capital even more. The lives of common folk were the same as Fan Li's before he transmigrated - plain and ordinary.

He didn't have Great Han currency prepared, but figured gold was a hard currency that could be used anywhere, so he carried some gold beans on his person.

"Ah? This!?"

The peddler took the gold bean and instantly froze, then hurriedly kneeled again.

"Sir, you've given too much, this humble one really can't make change. Please spare me, sir, just take the ten jin of fire crystal persimmons as my humble gift to you."

Ten jin of persimmons weren't even worth half a tael of scrap silver, let alone gold. The peddler thought Fan Li was deliberately making things difficult for him and trembled like a sieve from head to toe.

Inside the carriage, Sage Ruler Han Yue was also very depressed. She wanted to see the prosperity and wealth of Chang'an, but now, she was actually accompanying Fan Li in bullying a street vendor?

"With your identity as the Duke of Jin of Great Chu, engaging in such despicable behavior, do you not feel ashamed?" Sage Ruler Han Yue's voice, full of disdain, came from behind Fan Li.

He had question marks all over his face. He was spending money to buy things, how was that despicable?

Fan Li suddenly realized something. Shit, he was actually misunderstood. He helped the peddler up and firmly placed the gold bean in his hand.

"Brother, I'm really here to buy persimmons. Keep the money well, no need for change."

Finished speaking, Fan Li picked up the persimmons and left with his head held high, ignoring the peddler's dumbfounded expression.

Inside the carriage, Sage Ruler Han Yue put on a stern face, staring at Fan Li with unfriendly eyes. But seeing him use a hollow straw to pierce into a fire crystal persimmon with a "pu" sound, then suck out a mouthful of juice and pulp, revealing an expression of enjoyment, it made even Sage Ruler Han Yue somewhat expectant. It's just that Fan Li was the person she had to kill. How could she ask for his food?

"Would the Sage Ruler like a taste?" Fan Li glanced at Han Yue and asked with a smile.

He didn't expect to improve their relationship. It's just that ten jin of persimmons was indeed too much and it would be a waste not to finish them. What a pity Tuan Tuan wasn't by his side, otherwise feeding it would be better than feeding Han Yue.

"Hmph!" But Han Yue maintained her composure with a stern face. "What status does this Sage Ruler have? Would I covet your trivial street food?"

Fan Li shrugged. If she didn't want any then forget it. In just half a day, he also bought sesame cakes, hand-torn lamb, fried dough twists and more. Although they were street snacks, they still represented the flavors of Chang'an.

Fan Li ate with great relish. Sage Ruler Han Yue finally couldn't sit still anymore! "Will you ever be done?"

"Huh?" Fan Li's mouth was stuffed full of lamb, eating until oil flowed down his chin. "What's the matter? Does the Sage Ruler have something to do?"

Sage Ruler Han Yue's face was like frost and snow. "Even if you want to dine, can't you find a more respectable place? Along the way, I also saw Juyi Tower, Qionglin Tower, Yao Yue Tower and such. Which one isn't better than these?"

The higher the expectations, the greater the disappointment. Sage Ruler Han Yue was full of resentment and found Fan Li more and more disagreeable to her eyes. But her outburst revealed her thoughts, which Fan Li saw through.

"So it turns out the Sage Ruler also cannot achieve being unaffected by external things and having no desires? Brahma Sound Pure Land? With a heart in the secular world, what qualifications do you have to call yourself a Pure Land?"

Fan Li sneered inwardly and casually set the lamb aside.

"Could it be the Sage Ruler is hungry? It is my lack of consideration, I just assumed the Sage Ruler's cultivation was so high you had long abstained from grains and didn't fancy mortal delicacies."

The corner of Han Yue's mouth twitched. With her status, how could she admit she was craving food?

"Of course I'm not hungry!" Sage Ruler Han Yue gritted her silver teeth until they made creaking sounds.

"Very well then." Fan Li laughed, "I'm full from eating and drinking. I was just about to take a stroll to aid digestion so I won't ride in the carriage. If the Sage Ruler doesn't mind, how about walking and touring Chang'an city with me?"

Hearing this, Han Yue got so angry she jumped. Not even riding in the carriage anymore. Was he deliberately slighting her?

But before she could protest, she heard Fan Li say, "I heard that the shops in Chang'an gather rare treasures from all over the world. Many goods can't even be bought in Chu's capital Peng City. It is indeed a good place for shopping and strolling. I rarely come to Chang'an. If I don't buy a few rare items to keep for a few years, it would truly be a wasted trip."

After saying that, he seemed to remember Han Yue's presence. "Sage Ruler, are you interested in shopping and strolling?"

Han Yue was stunned and struggled repeatedly in her heart. She repeatedly confirmed the expression on Fan Li's face seemed sincere and not pretending, and finally let down her guard.

"I... have no interest in shopping. But since I'm accompanying you, I'll take a look as well."

 

Thank you for the Ratings/Likes and Comments. Your support is the greatest encouragement for me!

Become a member at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

5