Chapter 129 – Changing of Dynasties
332 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cao Cao's words stunned the entire court, throwing both civil and military officials into chaos. Some stared with mouths agape. Others pointed at Cao Cao, faces contorted with rage. Even more prostrated themselves on the ground, trembling uncontrollably, at a complete loss.

Next to the Han Emperor's coffin, Cao Cao appeared calm and composed, Sun Quan's expression placid, only Liu Bei slightly furrowed his brow.

"Oh?"

Cao Cao seemed to notice Liu Bei's differing opinion and gestured to him with a smile.

"Does Xuande have another view?"

Liu Bei nodded. "I feel that since His Majesty was on the throne for many years and oppressed by Dong Zhuo, the so-called 'showed pity when the state was in peril', His Majesty's posthumous title of 'Han Xiao Min Emperor' may be more appropriate."

"Heh heh heh? Ha ha ha ha!" Cao Cao first chuckled softly, then burst into raucous laughter. As he laughed, Liu Bei also smiled faintly, though his gaze towards Cao Cao only grew icier.

The Han Emperor was dead. Dong Zhuo was dead. Now in the Han court, there existed no threat to the three of them. Similarly, the relationship between the three had also become rather subtle.

Cao Cao understands Liu Bei's thoughts, of course.

Offering the emperor's title?

The sovereign's position was a divine instrument. Offering up this instrument meant the Han dynastic lineage would truly end, establishing a new dynasty as the natural course.

Liu Bei's thoughts, Cao Cao likewise grasped.

Using 'Ming' for the posthumous title?

Encountering difficulties within the country is merely a matter for Emperor Liu Xie's generation. As long as someone succeeds to the throne of the Han Emperor, the Han Dynasty's prosperity can continue to be passed down.

"My view differs from yours," Cao Cao casually turned to Sun Quan. "What does Zhongmou think?"

Sun Quan pondered for a long while before saying, "I also feel 'Han Xiaoxian Emperor' may be more appropriate."

"Oh? It's rare for Zhongmou to share my view. What do you think, Xuande?" Liu Bei smiled wryly.

Although he had married Sun Quan's sister, at crucial moments Sun Quan always sided with Cao Cao.

"Forget it! Even if it's not perfectly appropriate, I am at least a Han clansman, better than those two." Liu Bei was about to give up.

At that moment, a soldier in golden armor strode boldly into the Weiyang Palace. Judging by his armor style, he did not belong to any Han military force, but rather the Chu royal guards of the inner palace.

"Who are you?" Cao Cao asked.

The golden-armored soldier saluted in military fashion. "I am the commander of the Chu royal guards, delivering a handwritten letter from Duke Jin on his orders."

Hearing it was a personal letter from Fan Li, Cao Cao went to receive it himself, with Liu Bei and Sun Quan following closely behind.

Unrolling the letter, the three saw elegant calligraphy like soaring dragons and phoenixes.

"Fan Li deeply understands the three lords have grand ambitions. After the Han Emperor's demise, the world lies open before you, no longer caged and bound.

Fan Li congratulates the three on finally being able to unleash your lifelong grievances. There is one small matter I requests you consider.

Han Emperor Liu Xie was kind and virtuous, diligent in governance and caring for the people, eliminating the chaos. He was a brilliant ruler of this era, his legacy etched in the historical annals.

As for the posthumous title, though the malicious cannot avoid his virtue, why bother devising schemes?

Fan Li humbly feels that the Han Emperor's posthumous title reflects the magnanimity of his successor.

My humble Chu, securely situated, wishes to befriend those of broad measure, not walk the same path as the narrow-minded. I hope the three lords will consider carefully."

***

At the Chu-Han border, Fan Li sat in a carriage with a gloomy face, lost in thought. Princess Chang Le had left. She had departed Chang'an City and also left him behind.

In the span of one night as husband and wife, the woman had actually hiked up her dress and run off. This was the first time in Fan Li's past and present lives he had experienced such audacity! She really had some nerve!

Fan Li gritted his teeth, yet did not know who to be angry at.

Finally, he vented his anger through the letter, giving Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Quan some not-so-subtle hints.

"At least grant the old father-in-law some posthumous dignity," Fan Li muttered to himself.

Emperor of Abdication?

What a broken title.

Fan Li was already the Han Emperor's son-in-law in practice. Would they not consider the Han Emperor's face, Princess Chang Le’s face, and Fan Li's own face?

To hell with the Han Emperor!

At this point, Fan Li no longer cared if he offended Cao, Liu, and Sun. Since the three were about to found their own states, they would never turn against him.

From Chang'an to the border, the Chu envoy traveled slowly. This was Fan Li's order.

Along the way, he observed the changes occurring in the lives of the Han people.

Refugees returning home, fields being cultivated again, granaries opened and rations distributed in each province. Though not quite prosperous, it was at least a revival.

The great Han dynasty, ravaged for years by Dong Zhuo's scourge, had been revived with new life by the Han Emperor in a mere hundred days.

Fan Li suddenly remembered something and called out to the carriage exterior, "Lü Bu, did the Han really have the Yellow Turban Army?"

Mounted proudly on his horse Red Hare, the vigorous Lü Bu heard the question and looked rather awkward. "Perhaps...perhaps they did?"

Fan Li chuckled upon hearing this. He believed Lü Bu was not lying.

The Han may have once experienced the Yellow Turban Rebellion. But could the impoverished commoners' uprising really last long? Especially against well-equipped armies of profound cultivation?

The remaining Yellow Turban threat lasted for years, but it was likely just imposters in the end.

After half a day's travel, the palace guard Fan Li had sent to deliver the letter caught up.

"Reporting to Duke Jin. The Han Emperor's posthumous title has been decided."

"It is 'Han Xiaoren Emperor'."

Fan Li fell silent for a long while before finally saying, "Bring wine, this marquis wishes to make an offering."

The envoy stopped by a stretch of fields. The attendants quickly set up an incense table and tribute items. They also cut a section from a roadside willow tree and carved it into a spirit tablet.

With a solemn expression, Fan Li waited for the attendants to prepare everything before raising a cup of imperial wine.

"Heh heh, Lord Jin, would you like this humble one to join in the offering rites?" Lü Bu asked obsequiously.

Fan Li gave a wry smile. "No need to trouble the general with this."

Lü Bu shrugged nonchalantly and retreated. In his view, for this unscrupulous minister Fan Li who held supreme power in Chu to make offerings to the Han Emperor was an incomprehensible act. Better to offer sacrifices to Dong Zhuo instead.

Fan Li raised the wine cup, splashing one cup towards the heavens, one towards the earth, and drinking the last.

In a low voice he said, "You were my father-in-law. Although you forcibly gave Chang Le to me, I promise to be responsible for her. Please rest in peace." He paused briefly before adding silently, "Provided that I can find her again."

That morning when he woke up, Princess Chang Le said she was going to bathe and purify herself. But then she never returned. She only had the palace maids pass on a message telling Fan Li that with the Han's affairs concluded, he should return to Chu.

The princess took the Records of the First Emperor, the Qin Emperor's Sword, the Twelve Golden Statues...and even the Han's guardian beast, that young Black Tortoise, Xuanwu.

Fan Li knew her actions must have been part of some plan. There was no need to search for her desperately in the short term. Who knew, maybe one day she would return on her own.

"It's best she doesn't come back pregnant," Fan Li mumbled to himself, ultimately unwilling to become a clueless father.

As he pondered distractedly, he suddenly heard a majestic and awe-inspiring voice coming from far behind him.

Fan Li turned and saw three towering, formless figures!

"I am Cao Cao, founding the great state of Wei. The great Wei pledges eternal brotherhood with the great Chu, never to betray each other!"

"I am Sun Quan, founding the great state of Wu. The great Wu pledges eternal brotherhood with the great Chu, never to betray each other!"

"I am Liu Bei, inheriting the Han Emperor's throne. The great Han and the great Chu shall be brothers eternal, never betraying each other!"

Fan Li's eyelids twitched violently!

He understood far too well what those three massive figures meant!

Even Lü Bu cried out in shock, "Heavens! How did they all break through to the Great Vehicle Realm?!"

If you like the content, please support. Thank you.
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

 

7