Chapter 1 – Reluctant Betrayal
2.8k 6 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Great Chu Nation, the imperial court.

"Prime Minister, can we talk calmly!?"

On the throne, the young emperor, looking only about eighteen or nineteen, dressed in dragon robes, appeared delicate and handsome. At this moment, he was trembling with fear, and his body instinctively curled up.

Fan Li sighed. Ascending the royal steps, he approached the dragon throne and even patted the young emperor's shoulder.

Fan Li, adorned in purple official attire, held a position of immense power as the Prime Minister. Yet, he was still a subject, and patting the emperor's shoulder was an act of defiance!

"Your Majesty, is it so difficult to call me 'Father'?" Fan Li asked.

"But... but the late emperor passed away less than a month ago, and you're only a few years older than me..." the young emperor stuttered.

"Hmm?!" With a cold snort from Fan Li, tears welled up in the young emperor's eyes, almost on the verge of crying.

"Father...?" The Chu Emperor finally changed his address, causing a commotion among the courtiers!

The sovereign acknowledging a subject as a father!? Some secretly rejoiced, some felt unjust, and some gazed at Fan Li with admiration, as if they had found the ultimate goal in life!

For Fan Li, none of this mattered.

"Ding!"

"Congratulations, host, on completing the novice mission [Deceiving the Emperor]!"

"Host receives a reward, one Life Extension Pill."

"The World's First Traitor System continues to serve you."

Fan Li checked the system inventory, and indeed, there was a new pill. He immediately consumed the Life Extension Pill.

"Host consumes the Life Extension Pill, extending life by one month."

"Host's remaining lifespan: one month and three days."

Fan Li felt a bit frustrated. One Life Extension Pill could only prolong life by a month? He glanced at the Chu Emperor.

"Sorry, looks like I'll have to torment you a bit more," Fan Li thought to himself.

As a transmigrator, Fan Li had the standard issue of a system, but a [World's First Traitor System]?

Transcending time and space had taken a toll on his body, and the system informed Fan Li that his lifespan was drastically reduced, with only three days left. However, by consistently completing system tasks, he could receive Life Extension Pills as rewards.

Fan Li thought the system was trying to trick him. "System, when is the next task going to be released?" Fan Li urged in his mind.

The system's response was surprisingly prompt.

"New task issued: [Domineering the Court]."

"Task description: Host is to flaunt their power, making the courtiers realize the host's strength. The higher the task completion, the more abundant the rewards."

Flaunt power? Fan Li pondered for a moment, casually surveying the surroundings.

The courtiers of the Great Chu Dynasty, their expressions were all within Fan Li's grasp. Some were resentful, some anxious. But most of them, pleased at him oppressing the Chu Emperor, reveled in the satisfaction.

"Does the court already have many followers of mine?" Fan Li thought casually.

Since Fan Li had just transmigrated, he wasn't too familiar with the situation of the original host.

The system provided a wealth of information, but he only hastily absorbed some, such as the fact that the Fan family was the top aristocratic family in Chu.

"It seems the Fan family has deep roots in Chu, with supporters spread throughout the court," Fan Li mused.

In that case, [Domineering the Court] should be easy to accomplish.

Fan Li quickly came up with a good idea.

"You, come here," Fan Li pointed at an official with a goatee among the courtiers.

"Yes! What does Prime Minister command?" The goateed official, brimming with excitement, bowed and took a few steps forward before kneeling.

"Isn't this kneeling for me rather than the Emperor?" The goateed official's obsequious appearance nearly infuriated the Chu Emperor.

However, Fan Li said, "Go to the imperial garden and bring a spotted deer."

The goateed official hurriedly bowed and went to the imperial garden.

While waiting, Fan Li turned his gaze towards the Chu Emperor, curious about this young sovereign.

Of noble blood, the Chu Emperor's appearance and temperament were exceptional. Facial features like carved jade, sword-like eyebrows and starry eyes, but with rosy cheeks and thin lips; giving the Chu Emperor a peculiar, somewhat delicate, beauty, and a hint of insufficient masculine vigor.

"Why... why are you staring at me?" The Chu Emperor nervously tried to step back, but found himself cornered in the corner of the dragon throne.

"Nothing," Fan Li withdrew his gaze casually.

Because of the task [Domineering the Court], Fan Li intended to stand by the Chu Emperor's side throughout.

Looking down on the Chu Emperor and the courtiers from above the royal steps.

"No, standing like this, isn't it no different from the court eunuch?" Fan Li was contemplating when he saw the goateed official returning with a spotted deer.

"Announcing to Prime Minister, ah, and Your Majesty," the goateed official grinned, "I've brought the spotted deer."

The Chu Emperor, upon hearing this, trembled again!

Traitor!

All of them were traitors!

What did he mean by "ah, and Your Majesty"?

Daring to place the treacherous Prime Minister in front of him?

The Chu Emperor dared not express his anger, simply turning his head away, refusing to look at Fan Li and the courtiers.

"What's your name?" Fan Li asked the goateed official.

"Your subordinate is a Hanlin Academy compiler named Li Qun," the goateed official replied with joy.

A mere seventh-rank minor official.

Fan Li nodded, "I asked you to find a spotted deer, but why did you bring a horse?"

“Huh?” Li Qun was dumbfounded.

The courtiers and even the Chu Emperor were dumbfounded. Clearly this was a spotted dear.

Fan Li continued, "Is there something wrong with my eyes? I clearly see it as a horse. Could my eyes be playing tricks on me?"

Li Qun was frightened and knelt down! He kowtowed like pounding garlic, "It's a horse, indeed a horse! This humble one's eyes were blind and didn't see it clearly. It's indeed, indeed, as Prime Minister said, a superb horse..."

Fan Li no longer roared in anger, but with a profound and inscrutable gaze, he looked down at the courtiers below the royal steps.

"Counselor, do you think it's a deer or a horse?" Fan Li casually pointed to three of the nine chief officials.

The three came forward and said in unison, "Indeed, it is a fine horse."

Fan Li nodded, deliberately revealing a satisfied and gratified smile. With this smile, everyone in the court, including the emperor, understood his attitude.

Fan Li took a deep breath and proclaimed loudly, "Ministers, anyone who sees this creature as a deer, step forward!"

No one in the court dared to step forward.

Fan Li finally turned to the Chu Emperor, calmly asking, "Your Majesty, in your opinion, is this creature a deer or a horse?"

The Chu Emperor, with his large watery, shining eyes, looked at Fan Li, then at the spotted deer.

"Traitor! You look more like a horse than it does!" The Chu Emperor silently cursed, but was also filled with the urge to cry.

What had the sovereigns of past generations of the Great Chu Dynasty become, bullied by a traitorous minister like this?

Enduring the humiliation, the Chu Emperor gritted his teeth and answered, "Father, I also... see it as... a horse..."

 

 

 

 

35