Chapter 5 — The Ring
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vice stepped forward without hesitating. The pure, celestial energy that blazed forth from the door felt like home to her. The Crow’s temple at Galaí had a similar energy to it, but it was much more muted in comparison to that of the Path. I have only felt such powerful energy once before, she thought to herself. The patron of the planes is nearby — she has shown herself.

Before Vice could determine where the patron was hidden, she was pulled into the light. Warmth washed over her body, reaching under her armor and coating every inch of her skin. She closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling. But soon the warmth morphed into a humid heat, and the light disappeared from behind her closed eyes.

She opened them to find that she was in an alleyway. The sky was dark and littered with stars; a full moon hung in the distance. Quickly, she turned around to find the gateway, but it was gone. In its place was the smooth, thick stone of a city wall.

As she examined the wall, the stone began to ripple and shift. A form broke through from the structure: Farrah. Close behind followed Karina and Aveline. Vice pushed past them and touched the wall; it was solid rock. *We are truly dealing with a powerful being*, she thought.

Vice turned back to the others. “The child did this?” she asked.

Aveline shook her head. “He said that the patron would open the gate, right? So it was her doing, not his.”

“I am unconvinced. You must have a strong connection with a patron in order to channel their magic in such a way. That sort of bond takes years to cultivate — it sometimes doesn’t happen at all for some magic users.” The theosian furrowed her brow, deep in thought. “This child is more than he lets on.”

“Vice,” Farrah began, “I think you’re reading too much into this. I don’t know anything about magic or how it works, but I know what the boy said. Some patrons are more helpful than others. It might be different with yours, but if the Planesrunner decided she wanted to help, why should we complain?”

“Fine,” Vice sighed. “Now where is this master of his?”

“Kafir said his master was studying planar anomalies,” Karina said. “Wizards don’t usually go at that kind of research alone. He could have been collaborating with other planar specialists on this plane.”

“So we should check with the closest mage school, then,” Farrah said. “Do any of you know where exactly we are?”

Karina and Vice shook their heads, but Aveline hesitated. The half-orc noticed her reticence and asked, “Aveline? Have you been here before?”

Aveline looked down the alleyway at the street before them. “I think we might be in Lagaema. I’m not sure — I’d have to see more of the city. I came here once before, but it was several years ago.” She pointed to a storefront that faced them. “I do remember that place, though. I bought my sister a ring from there.”

She began to walk down the alleyway towards the store. The others followed her, taking in their surroundings as they crossed the street that separated them from the building. Thick, velvet curtains covered the windows, and a large wooden sign hung above a crimson door. It read: Thornston & Sons Jewelers.

As Aveline opened the door, the soft tinkling of a bell sounded from the far wall. “Just a second!” a male voice called out. “I’ll be right with you.”

Aveline looked around at the jewelry on display. Beautiful necklaces were adorned with sparkling gemstones. Uncut jewels sat atop pedestals, open for purchase. Off in the corner of the case, a silver ring caught the daímona’s eye. It was a simple piece, decorated only with a single, clear emerald. It was the same ring she had bought for her sister many years ago.

A few moments passed before the group heard the sound of something being dragged along the floor behind one of the display cases. The face of an elderly dwarf popped up from the case. “Welcome!” he greeted with a smile. “How can I help you?”

“Oh,” Farrah began, “we were just look— ”

“How much for the emerald ring?” Aveline interrupted.

“The plain one?” the jeweler asked. “It’s 500 gold pieces. But that’s a fairly basic piece for such a pretty girl! Perhaps you’d be more interested in one of these?” He pulled a tray of rings out from the case under him.

As he looked back up at Aveline, his eyes narrowed. “Do my eyes deceive me,” he began, “or is that a Bloodvine girl?”

Aveline stiffened for a moment, then smiled and laughed politely. “How could you tell?” she asked.

The dwarf smiled and adjusted his glasses. “Well, it’s not every day that you see such a lovely violet color on a daímona! I haven’t seen any like that since you, your mother, and your sister came in here five years ago.”

“Quite the memory you have on you, sir,” Aveline said.

“Well, thank you, young lady. Working with these pieces, you get attached to them. They’ve all got stories, you know? I remember every piece and who I sold it to, even the one I sold to your mother the last time you were here.”

He glanced at the ring Aveline asked him about. “You’re back for the companion to the other ring, eh? Very well.”

The dwarf crossed behind the display cases to the section with the ring in it. As he bent down to retrieve the ring, he asked, “Did something happen to the first ring? Or did you just want a matching set?”

An emptiness blossomed within Aveline’s chest at the jeweler’s question. Hollow pain radiated throughout her body and a hard lump formed in her throat. Flashes of her sister’s smiling face shot across her mind’s eye. Just as she felt the tears begin to well up in her eyes, she forced the images back and shoved the pain down. Now is not the time for grief, she thought. Not now, and certainly not here.

Aveline put on a smile. “I just wanted the matching set,” she replied.

The daímona could see in the dwarf’s eyes that he saw her lapse in control. He smiled softly at her. “My pleasure, miss. Let me just clean it for you — won’t be but a moment.”

The jeweler took the ring from the case and disappeared once more. Aveline saw a set of curtains at the back swish open, then close. With her back to the group, the daímona let her countenance drop under the weight of her fatigue. She had been pushing these emotions away for so long that it was beginning to wear her down. She didn’t know how much longer she could deny herself the act of feeling before there would be visible repercussions.

Aveline felt a hand brush her shoulder. Her entire body grew tense as she straightened her posture, unaware that she'd even been slouching. She plastered a smile on her face and turned her attentions to the hand's owner.

She found Farrah standing behind her, a look of concern in her eyes. “Is everything okay?” the half-orc asked.

“I’m fine, thank you.” As Aveline spoke, she shifted her shoulder slightly, causing Farrah's hand to fall off. She had begun to move closer to the back curtain that the dwarf disappeared through when Farrah took hold of her forearm.

“Aveline, I can tell something is the matter. I may not be that perceptive, but I'm not blind,” she told the daímona. “You've got something on your back; I can see it. I don't know how long you've been carrying it, but I do know that you don't have to hold it alone.”

Aveline felt her walls begin to weaken, but she held firm. She pulled her arm out of Farrah's grasp. “Not here,” she said. “Not now.”

She could hardly believe the words that came from her mouth. Tell her my troubles? Aveline thought. Her kind was the source of all this. How could I ever trust someone like that?

Farrah gave a slight, uncomfortable smile at Aveline's rebuff. “Sure,” she said. “Some other time.”

Before Aveline could respond, the jeweler reappeared from the back of the shop. “Here we are, miss,” he said, holding the ring out to the daímona. “That'll be 250 gold pieces.”

Confused blossomed across Aveline's face. “I thought it was 500, sir?”

“Consider it a discount for buying the set,” the dwarf said, a sly smile on his face.

Aveline felt tears growing in the corners of her eyes. “Thank you so much, Mr…?”

“Thornston,” he supplied. “Jak Thornston.”

The daímona bowed her head towards him and said, “Hopefully we may do more business in the future.”

She turned back toward the group and nodded, signaling that she was ready to leave. As the group began to move toward the door, the dwarf called out to them. “Ah, ladies? Do be careful out there. Things in Lagaema have been strange of late, and I'd hate to hear of any of you getting hurt.”

Farrah faced the jeweler, placing her hands on her hips. “What do you mean by ‘strange,’ sir?”

“I mean that people have been acting different. It's almost like they've had the life taken from them. Sure, they still walk and talk, but if you look in their eyes… there's a deadness there. An emptiness. I've been seeing more and more people come into the store looking that way.”

The half-orc glanced at the others, gauging their reactions. “Thank you for the warning, sir. We'll keep an eye out.”

She turned to leave, then stopped. “Would you happen to know where the nearest school of magic is?”

“Sure,” the dwarf said. “It's at Firecrest Manor in the center of the city. Follow the main road east for about a mile and you'll find yourself in the upper district. It'll be the building made of orange brick and spires topped with flame.”

Farrah nodded in thanks and turned back to the group. Karina opened the door and the four of them returned to the heat of the outside. The shop's bell tinkled a farewell behind them.

1