Chapter 7 Dealing with American Problems
94 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[October 8th, 1920]


[Chicago, Illinois] 


[9:05 AM] 


[3rd Person POV] 

Dealing with Al Capone was risky in itself but Robert knew he wouldn't kill nor touch him since one thing Al Capone loved was making business, and having powerful friends and connections, and that said connection was Robert himself. Hence Al Capone himself wanted to meet Robert in person and see what kind of person he is and judge for himself if he's worthy to business with, or kill him. 

Robert replied to Al Capone. "Considering how much the American people including your gang was struggling or raking in money so to speak due to prohibition still in effect. What I'm proposing is establishing a drug company funded by me, with you and your people as CEOs so to speak." Robert said, resuming eating his bitten burger as he waited for Capones response.

Al Capone stared at Robert, studying his body language, his facial expression and replied after a few minutes. "That is quite a proposal Mr. Robert. Even though we're with the mafia, you'll still hire us? What's your agenda here in Chicago?" Capone said, wanting to know why Robert wanted to open a company in Chicago of all states, and especially hiring mafias to run said drug company. 

"My agenda here Mr. Capone is taking advantage of the chaos that the American policy that your president signed and passed. Besides, America isn't exactly peaceful isn't it?" Richard sarcastically remarked. 

"And by establishing a company, you're planning to establish a monopoly or dominance in the American market." Capone concluded. 

"Yes. America is the land of opportunity isn't it? I'm simply a businessman who found an opportunity to profit and establish myself in the market" Robert smirked, his words were being vague enough. 

"And hiring us would be beneficial for you because of my connections, and muscle." Capone said, pointing out the obvious reasons. 

"If you know all this Mr. Capone, why confirm it again?" Robert said, finishing his burger and leaning back to the chair. 

"I know how this works Mr. Zettour." Capone said, staring at Robert intensely. 

"Of course you know how it works Mr. Capone. You use me, I use you. It's simplistic nature to use one another for our own benefits. That benefit using me is getting what you need that America can't give you." Robert said, leaning forward a bit, his body language expressing to dominate the conversation and leaning it towards his side. 

"You drive a hard bargain Mr. Zettour. You realize the American government would eventually find out our deal." Capone attempted to indirectly threatened Robert by using the American government as leverage. 

"We both know that they won't do shit. Especially if it's the Infamous president who introduced the bill in the first place." Robert said. 

"So you're planning to buyout one of the companies in Chicago and renovate it?" Capone questioned Robert, dodging the answer of Robert on how incompetent the current administration in present. 

"Close, but not exactly. You're right that I'll buyout a company, but my goal is not just that. It's investing in other companies as well." 

"Investing in other companies is risky venture. Many have tried, and only a few succeed. Capone pointed it out. 

"Investing is indeed a risky venture, but worth going forth if you know where to look, and how you perceive the current market. Besides, I am here to also hire more people like you into my companies." 

"And you understand how we operate and control us I bet?" Capone again, got straight to the point as Robert nodded.

"Indeed Mr. Capone. If you mafias were always gonna be a problem no matter what kind of deal we make. But there's one thing you mafias respect, is that family is everything. Isn't that right Mr. Capone?" Robert fake smiled. 

Capone scoffed and didn't refute nor deny Robert's words. Indeed as the Mafia code, family is everything, but betray the family and you'll lose everything. Such is the motto. And capone knew that deep in his bones. And Robert was exploiting that weakness. Robert then continued on. 

"How about a friendly gesture, to...be a partner with your family as an exchange." Robert offered. 

"and what kind of gesture are you offering Mr. Zettour?" Capone raised his brow in question. 

"do you have a lawyer named Edward Hare?" Robert asked. 

"Yes, what of it? And how do you know him?" Capone said warily, he trusted the man and was cautious on why Robert specifically said his name. 

"And do you know the IRS Mr. Capone?" Robert again asked. 

"Yes, I know of them." Capone said, since he had some encounters with them and trying to catch him in the act and he was wary of them and with good reason."

"I have...information that your trusted lawyer is building up a case against you. As for the IRS? You should pay taxes more Mr. Capone." Robert smiled, as it is up to Capone whether or not he believes him or not. 

For Capone however, he was shocked and visibly upset as he controlled his temper and gritted his teeth." And how did you come by this information Mr. Zettour..."

"If you want proof, you can check your Lawyers safe in his office and his house." Robert replied.

Al capone tapped his foot on the floor repeatedly as he sort out his thoughts as he didn't want to believe Robert. Him and Edward go way back and we're partners in crime and he saved his ass multiple times. He even made him rich! So why would he betray him? That was capones chaotic thoughts. 

"Are you sure it's really him?" capone said, wanting to confirm it and wanting to deny this man's accusation even as Robert replied with confidence. 

"Yes, he is preparing a case against you as we speak since you have him a lot of freedom. I know I'm accusing someone with little to no evidence, but it's linked with the IRS." 

"The IRS?" Capone questioned Robert. 

"Yes the IRS. The FBI knew they can't pin any murder case against you and you have almost the Chicago police force under your thumb, but you forgot one crucial thing. You didn't pay your taxes. So I suggest you read up taxation laws." Robert said. 

"Are you telling me that I'm gonna go in jail for years due to me evading taxes?!" Capone almost shouted.

"Funny enough, yes. You're going to jail relatively soon because of that one small mistake. Well a major mistake now if you don't do anything about it."

There was a pregnant silence as Capone processed this information in his head and all they could hear was the people ordering and eating and cars going by as Robert waited for Capone to sort out his thoughts and plan ahead of time. 

After 5 minutes of complete silence, Capone sighed and said. "I'll have to verify this information you realize that Mr. Zettour?" 

"Yes. But when you do verify this, you owe me your life Mr. Capone." Robert smiled. 

Capone didn't reply as he knew Robert was right and if the information that he got from Robert was indeed true, he just saved him from going to jail, or worse being assassinated. 

Capone sighed again as he swallowed his pride down and openly said to Robert. 

"I'll agree to be your partner. I hope you treat my people well Mr Zettour."

"I always treat my people well Mr. Capone. For my enemies? It's a different story. We'll be in touch capone as I'm gonna buy a few factories and a office here in Chicago and I hope your people can give me a tour of your beautiful city." Robert stood up and grabbed his fedora and wore it and nodded at Capone who also stood up. 

"I'll be in America for awhile and spread my roots. Until then, be my eyes and ears in Chicago. Once I finish establishing my precense here, I'm gonna ask you to expand beyond Chicago and swallow gangs into your sphere. It's a win win situation for both of us Mr. Capone."

In the surface it was fair on both sides, but Capone knew better. He would be under this man and he knew it. But he didn't mind that Robert was charge, but for capone himself, his greed will someday be his downfall. So Robert will keep Capone alive for now to slowly assimilate his entire mafia into his influence before killing Capone. 

For Robert, Capone was just a pawn, and Capone somewhat knew that. He knew he could kill Robert here and now and no one would be the wiser. But he chose not to do so. The offer and the money involved was too huge to be ignored so he can play for now. But what Capone didn't knew is that in a few years, his karma would finally catch up to him but that's for the future to tell. 

He shake Capones hand and left the Fast food joint and proceeded to check into a hotel downtown and get some few days of rest and enjoy what Chicago has to offer. 

He is after all in a time crunch and he cannot delay any longer since he has to cross a lot of states to hire people that are very important for the future that Robert envisioned. Excited and somewhat apprehensive of tomorrow, he slept when it was 1 AM. 

In the morning, around 8 AM, he quickly woke up, took a quick shower and left the hotel to buy a factory and an office. It took awhile but he found one of the best offices within downtown Chicago for about $300, 000 it was expensive as hell, but Robert thought it was worth the money since he bought 2-3 floors with proper electricity, plumbing, and accommodations and view of downtown Chicago. 

As for the factories that he also found, it was 5 factories in total which costs around $700,000 which surprised him since for the price that was listed, it was a steal and frankly, he knew it would have problem to renovate and buy new equipment, but money wasn't an issue at the moment, the issue was pumping out more products on the global market and he needed new assets to consolidate his power. 

After dealing with the factory issues, he went to a prominent and popular manufacturers to help him design the schematics that he had in his hand, of course he would handsomely pay them in exchange they would need to sign a clause to not reveal sensitive technology nor information to rival companies. 

Well if they do, Robert would just mysteriously convince them or put to fear of God into them to think otherwise, it was all according to schedule. 

Once everything was arranged and the equipment arriving and being assembled, Robert went to work by first discuss with scientists to find ways to relieve mild to heavy pain. Robert was aiming for pharmaceutical painkillers of today such as Ibuprofen, Advil, Mefenamic Acid and use it to market it to the world and profit from it. 

Of course it would take time, but time was his friend and luckily the scientist said that they would try his formula and see where it goes. 

Thank the lord Robert thought as he was very grateful that watching medical shows along with reading what it's uses and effects as well as ingredients in the internet, since back then I was suffering from a lot of headaches and these 3 drugs saved me more then I can count or I would've died from headaches Robert chuckled at that memory. 

Nevertheless, he went back to explaining the properties he memorized and gave the scientists all he had and hoped that they would make it and leave it all to luck. 

It would be funny as in his mind, people would question on why me, of all people have prizes for medicine. He would tackle that dilemma another day. 

After everything was arranged and prepared, he checked out of the hotel and prepared leave to his next destination Provo, Utah. 

There he would met the man who revolutionized the world by bringing information to the world. He booked the next greyhound bus to Utah which costs around $3,000 since he would need to use multiple bus trips. 

AS for why Robert didn't like to use planes, at this era, he was scared shirtless since the planes have a crash rate of 60-70%. Hence he would just rather take the bus than a plane as he didn't trust 1920 plane advancement as it was prone to either human errors or mechanical error.

He shoved all this thoughts aside and stared at the passing scenery beside him and dream of a better tomorrow, a better Germania. 

Hello again! Sorry if I haven't updated in a while.

Life's a bitch and struggling with writers block aas always.

Anyways here's a new chapter!

I'm open to suggestions and comment sown below on who should I recruit or add and once again, I hope you enjoy my novel even though it's bad XD

This is Vallerie blasting off!

God I'm a kid for saying this always but who gives a fuck

5