Chapter 17
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The fading amber light of dusk bathed my mother and I as we strolled home, continuing our discussion about the progress of my magic training. I eagerly recounted the intricate details of manifesting fire mana and my attempts to reinforce my body's resistance to heat. Mother listened with rapt attention, clearly enthralled by the complexities of the arcane arts I described.

"To think, my son possesses such an exceptional gift for spellcasting," she remarked, pride and awe colouring her tone. "Your father will be absolutely delighted to hear of your swift mastery of these techniques."

I felt my cheeks grow warm at her effusive praise and rubbed the back of my neck self-consciously. "Well, I still have a long way to go before I can call myself a master. But your confidence in me is really motivating - it makes me determined to keep improving every day."

We soon arrived at our modest but cosy family home, the well-kept exterior and lush garden reflective of the prosperity Father's logging business afforded us. As we stepped inside the front door, I noticed Mother's cheerful expression fade into one of pensive contemplation.

My brows knitted together in concern. "What's wrong? You seem worried about something..."

She let out a small, weary sigh, closing the door gently behind us. "Oh, it's nothing too serious, just..." She paused, carefully considering her words. "I can't help but notice you spend all your free time alone, focusing intently on magic. You never show interest in playing with the other children."

I set my belongings down on the bench by the entrance and slipped off my shoes as Mother carried the bundle of ingredients she had picked up at the market further inside. Her observation gave me pause. She raised a valid point - ever since we had moved to this village, I had intentionally avoided interacting with the local kids, maintaining my distance. But how could I explain that mentally being decades older, I found little common ground with them?

As if reading the uncertainty on my face, Mother spoke up again in a soft, understanding tone. "Don't misunderstand - I know you are exceptionally mature for your age. You converse with adults with ease, displaying wisdom far beyond your years."

She began transferring the fruits and vegetables from her canvas shopping bags onto the kitchen counter as I lingered in the doorway, listening intently. "But I don't want you to miss out on making friends and experiencing a carefree childhood. Those social connections can last a lifetime."

Her words resonated within me as I stared down at my feet, shuffling them absently against the wooden floorboards. She was right; in this second chance at youth, I had isolated myself once more out of habit. "You make a good point. I should make more effort to be social."

Mother nodded approvingly, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she smiled. She walked over and gently cupped my cheek with motherly affection - I closed my eyes and leaned gratefully into her soft, comforting touch. "You're a good son. Promise me you'll take some time to consider what I've said?"

I met her warm chestnut gaze with resolve. "I promise, Mother. You've given me a lot to think about." Her features softened, seeming reassured by my words. With a final pat on my head, she turned her attention back to the groceries.

"Wash up now, dinner will be ready soon." As she inspected bunches of fresh herbs, I lingered, watching her graceful, practiced movements. An idea came to mind - perhaps if she shared more about her own past, I could better understand her perspective...

"Mother," I began tentatively, keeping my voice soft. "May I ask you something?"

She glanced over, eyebrow raised curiously. "Of course dear, what is it?"

I considered my words carefully before continuing. "I was hoping you could tell me about your family, from before you met Father. You've never spoken much about your life before coming here."

Mother's hands froze momentarily over the carrots she had been sorting through, but she quickly resumed the task, regaining her composure. "My, that was so long ago now..." She spoke slowly, a tinge of melancholy entering her voice.

Immediately I regretted broaching the subject, given her reaction. "My apologies, I shouldn't have pried. Please forget I asked."

As I turned to leave her in peace, she halted me. "No Arthur, wait. You're old enough now to know the truth."

I paused as she straightened up from the counter and faced me directly. Her expression had become solemn, even haunted. She met my gaze and exhaled slowly, as if mentally steeling herself.

"Please, have a seat. This will take some time to explain fully."

I pulled a stool over from the corner and sat attentively, hands folded in my lap. Mother's slender shoulders tensed as she dredged up old memories. After a few moments of heavy silence, she finally began to share her past.

"I spent my childhood in the royal capital of the Ashton Kingdom, quite a distance from here," she recounted, a faraway look in her eyes. "My parents - your grandparents - were well respected there. Your grandmother possessed a rare and powerful gift for healing magic. Your grandfather was a physician, though not magically inclined himself."

Her voice took on a wistful, nostalgic tone as she spoke. "We lived fairly comfortably thanks to the patronage their professions brought. Patients travelled from all corners of the kingdom to seek your grandmother's legendary light magic." Mother closed her eyes, a hint of a smile on her lips. "Our house was constantly abuzz with activity, but never chaotic. My younger sister and I helped out where we could."

I observed Mother's expression closely as she shared these details, trying to envision the lively scenes she described - a bustling clinic full of hope and healing. Her eyes sparkled happily for a moment as she recalled the vibrant hub of her childhood home. But they soon dimmed again with heartache.

"My sister had dreamed of becoming an adventurer for as long as I can remember," she continued, her voice quieter. "She practiced combat and survival skills at every opportunity, utterly devoted to her ambition."

Mother exhaled deeply, her shoulders slumping. "I worried endlessly for her safety out in the frontier, but nothing could dissuade her passion."

She frowned, her brows knitting together. "Hoping to protect her, I decided to become an adventurer as well, so I could accompany my sister on missions." Mother shook her head, the regret in her voice apparent. "But it quickly became clear I lacked any talent or taste for battle. While she rapidly improved in power and renown, I struggled desperately just to assist her."

I sat silently, hesitant to interrupt the difficult memories flowing forth. Mother paused to collect herself, then went on in a weary tone.

"So instead, I chose to apprentice under your grandmother to become a healer. My modest contributions from mending injuries allowed my sister to devote more of her funds towards securing better equipment." A tired smile briefly passed over her face. "For a time, we were happy."

But the fleeting smile soon vanished, replaced by a grave despair. "Then everything changed in an instant. A young noble lord from a powerful family took an... unhealthy interest in my sister after spotting her in town one day."

Mother practically spat the words, disgust and anger flashing in her eyes. "We frantically appealed to the local adventures' guild for protection, but they refused to risk angering the noble house over commoners like us."

She closed her eyes, seeming to steady herself once more before the darkest parts of the tale. "We tried relocating to escape the harassment. But the noble always found us, even sending forces beyond his family's jurisdiction."

Mother's voice strained with pain and helplessness. "One day...my sister just disappeared. Her party members claimed ignorance, but I knew the truth." Her hands clenched into trembling fists at her sides. "Not long after, her broken, discarded body was found abandoned on the streets."

I sat stunned, horrified by the nightmarish tragedy she had endured. Angry tears welled up in Mother's eyes before spilling down her grief-stricken face. I quickly grabbed a napkin and dabbed them away gently. She managed a trembling but grateful smile at the gesture before resolutely continuing her woeful account.

"Barely a week later, we received news that the young lord had fallen deathly ill from a rare and potent toxin." Mother's eyes flashed with realization. "It was an experimental elixir derived from your grandmother's secret formulas - one my sister was known to coat her weapons and poisons with."

She shook her head in dismay. "When the noble family urgently requested your grandmother's famed healing services, she refused outright. Then destroyed all her remaining samples and notes on the antidotes."

Mother's voice took on a hollow yet defiant tone. "We realized the lord must have been connected to my sister's fate. Your grandparents knew the duke would send forces after us once his son inevitably died. So we took our savings and fled for safety."

Mother stared down at her worn, calloused hands as she spoke again. "My parents stayed behind, using what influence they had to create a diversion. I was hurriedly sent alone to another kingdom, eventually settling here and opening an apothecary with the gifted money."

Her voice wavered with restrained emotion. "I never saw or heard from my family again after that day."

Overwhelmed by grief, Mother broke down, burying her face in her hands as sobs wracked her slender frame. My heart shattered seeing her in such anguish. I immediately went to her and wrapped my arms around her shaking shoulders, hugging her gently as she wept.

"I'm so sorry, Mother," I murmured. "Thank you for trusting me enough to share this painful history. I can't imagine how difficult it's been to bear such sorrow alone all these years."

She leaned into me, still trembling even as the tears slowed. "You deserved to know the truth," she whispered hoarsely. "I've kept it buried for too long."

We stayed embraced for several long minutes, taking solace in each other's presence. As her breathing steadied, Mother lifted her head from my shoulder and wiped the lingering wetness from her reddened eyes. She managed a weak but grateful smile.

"Please don't blame yourself for asking, Arthur. You've done nothing wrong." Her voice regained some strength. "I'm honoured you wished to know more about my past. You've handled my tale with great empathy and maturity. I'm so very proud to call you my son."

I shook my head firmly. "Mother, you possess such grace and resilience. To endure the trauma of your youth, only to build a rich life and loving family..." I took her hands in mine, resolute. "You are the strongest person I know. Thank you for being my guiding light."

Fresh tears welled up in her eyes, but this time from my heartfelt words. She pulled me close once more. "As long as I have you and your father, I can face anything life throws at me."

After a long moment, she tenderly brushed the hair from my eyes and planted a kiss on my forehead. Composing herself, she surveyed the waiting ingredients spread over the counter.

"Come now, let's finish up so we can eat."

We completed the meal preparations quietly together. A rich beef stew soon bubbled over the crackling hearth as we set three places at the dinner table just as Father arrived home.

Despite the lingering somber mood, we enjoyed the simple but delicious food and comfort of each other's presence. Afterward, I swiftly tidied up the kitchen as Mother prepared tea, the familiar routine bringing a sense of normalcy after an emotional evening.

Before retiring for the night, I embraced Mother one last time. "I promise to never forget your enduring strength and love," I swore earnestly.

She smiled, eyes glistening with joyful tears once more. "And I promise to always be your guiding light, my son."

I wished her goodnight and ascended the creaking stairs to my bedroom. Settling cross-legged on the floor, I closed my eyes and focused on centering my mana, seeking to ground my turbulent emotions after Mother's cathartic revelations.

My determination swelled - both to nurture this magic as a means of protecting my cherished family, and to honour the sacrifice of grandparents I would never meet but owed my very existence to.

While the day's events had drained me, I also felt closer to Mother and Father than ever before. Their unwavering love kindled a bright flame inside my heart. No matter what the future held, I would treasure these familial bonds above all else, striving each day to make them proud.

0