V1.C14 Quest, the wolves
5.9k 10 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leo kept the lantern in his inventory, having it in hand would only increase his chance of getting noticed by monsters.

He followed the only passage, it was like a cave around twenty meters, uneven protrusions peeked out of everywhere. Even the most narrow place was 10 meters wide. It was nothing like the narrow caves on the upper floors.

He muffled his steps and advanced while keeping a close eye on the map for enemies. After walking for some time, he met a fork road ahead.

He heard some roars from the left and decided to check it. Four red dots appeared on his map. Taking cover behind a boulder, he peeked his head out.

Three wolves like monsters were fighting against a rabbit-like monster. The wolf monster was as big as a large dog, murky white fur with two tails. The rabbit monster wasn't quite a rabbit, it had white fur, long ears, and muscular legs. Crimson mana veins pulsing throughout both rabbit and wolf bodies. The rabbit monster looked outright repulsive in his eyes.

The wolf monster leaped and shot crimson lightning at the rabbit monster.

The rabbit vanished and appeared in front of the other wolf and kicked with a speed that left afterimages. A second later the wolf body fell on the ground in two halves.

'What the fuck are these monsters? The behemoth I fought to death looks like a kid in front of them.'

'Analyze'

[??]

Strength: 350

Vitality: 280

Defense: 280

Agility: 600

Magic: 300

Magic Defense: 300

Skills: [Air Dance] [+Aerodynamics] [+Supersonic Step]

[??]

Strength: 320

Vitality: 300

Defense: 300

Agility: 400

Magic: 250

Magic Defense: 250

Skills: [Lightning field] [+Lightning resistance] [+Lightning Shot]

'What's that ?? and +'

(?? means no one has any record on them. The plus sign shows derivative skill.)

'That ugly rabbit will be [Kickboxer Rabbit] and that wolf will be [Twin-tailed Wolf].'

(.....)

He checked again and they were named as he thought.

Graaawwr~!

Another roar came and a monster like bear except for his larger front limbs and claws slowly walked out of the passage.

The kickboxer rabbit eating the wolf trembled. It escaped in a burst of speed and stopped 200 meters away.

His eyes widened when he saw the rabbit head falling to the ground followed by its waist and lower body.

Thump Thump Thump

He hurriedly moved back and sensed heart beating like a drum in his chest. The bear monster was too powerful for him, he wouldn't even survive a single bout against it. He had fought against the behemoth who was at least beatable but here he was like a chicken ready to be slaughtered.

'I can't die here, I will survive.'

'I still have to save Eri.'

He repeated inside his mind to strengthen his determination.

[Quest Available: Clear Orcus Labyrinth]

Survive and clear the Orcus Labyrinth.

Difficulty: SS

Rewards: 1x [Skill Evolution Coupon], 50000SP

[Accept / Decline]

'...Accept.'

(...5000SP for 'How to survive here'.)

'...Take it.'

He answered without batting a single eye, what use would the SP be if he died here. Grotesque sound of munching entered his ears and he cautiously peeked his head. The bear was feasting on the rabbit corpse.

'Analyze'

[??]

Strength: 500

Vitality: 300

Defense: 400

Agility: 500

Magic: 350

Magic Defense: 350

Skills: [Gale Claw] [+Triple Gale Claws] [+Flying Gale Claws]

'The attack that killed the rabbit was [Gale Claw]'

'I will name it [Claw Bear]'

(Go to your left.)

Leo followed her instructions and stopped in front of a wall that looked nothing special but his map showed a cave inside.

(Destroy it.)

'Wait! That bear is still there, he will hack me to pieces!'

(...Wait.)

Leo hid behind the boulder again and waited for the bear to leave, which it did after it sniffed around the area.

Leo hurried back and struck the wall with his sword, chipping it a little. He repeated it, ignoring the intense pain ravaging his body. He slashed again and again until he saw an opening.

It was a dark cave, filled with a putrid smell. There was some liquid on the ground.

'Analyze'

[Ambrosia]

A liquid that flows from [Divinity stone]. It can extend one's life, heal wounds, and recover mana. It cannot sate one's hunger.

Rank: SS

He shut his wide-open mind and talked to Jen.

'Buy a container, we are going all in.'

(...300SP)

A jar appeared in his hands. He flicked the jar with one finger.

Tink

He silently praised the jar for its durability and stored every bit of Ambrosia inside it. It wasn't much, but every drop of it was a treasure.

After that, he began the search for Divinity Stone. He carefully scratched the wall like he was treating a gem. After several minutes, he found a beautiful basketball-size stone, it was glowing dark blue. He drew out his tongue and gave the gem-like stone a lick. All of his pain and fatigue quickly vanished.

'Analyze'

[Divinity stone]

Crystallization of a large amount of mana clamped together for a long time. The only source of Ambrosia in existence.

Ranks: SSS

'Thanks, Jen! You are the best girl ever!'

(...You still need to do something about hunger.)

'Can't I buy something from the shop?'

(No, you will eat monster meat here.)

'Isn't it inedible, people die after eating it.'

(You will eat it.)

Her voice was stern, unlike her gentle tone.

'Fine… The weakest monster is that wolf, but they come in packs. I'll have to lure them or that bear will slice me in half.'

Leo went out of the cave and covered it. Racking his brain to create a plan on how to lure one or two twin-tailed wolves. He hid behind the usual boulder and observed the place where the previous fight took place.

After an hour of non-stop staring, three twin-tailed wolves came out of the darkness and started eating the Kickboxer Rabbit corpse.

'I can manage three, Ambrosia will deal with the wounds.'

Leo picked a stone from the ground and threw it near his feet.

The wolves' ears perked up at the noise. He gripped his sword tightly and waited in ambush. The wolves growled and dashed toward the boulder.

Thump Thump Thump

His heart sped up as if trying to burst out of his chest. He hardened his grip on the sword's hilt.

One of the wolves pounced from the other side of the boulder. He concentrated all strength in his arms and slashed.

Shiing~

The attack ripped the air and caused a deep wound on the wolf's stomach and its injured body crashed on the ground. After some painful howls, it stopped breathing.

[Level up]

The sudden level up stunned him, he didn't have time to brood over it as both wolves tried to pounce at him. He refused to fight here and retreated to the cave and stood with his back against it.

'No attack from the back.'

"Accursed Sword, Heed my call! Embrace me in your Aura!"

He silently cursed the one who made this chant as a mild gray aura surrounded the sword. The wolves closed the distance in seconds.

He slashed at the sharp claws attacking him. Still, the defense of these monsters was nearly the same level as behemoth so his sword only created a small wound on the claw.

A deep frown appeared on his face as a sharp pain traveled through his left hand. He raised his fist and pounded it on the wolf's head biting his hand. The blow stunned it before it roared and leaped back.

The wolves became cautious, eyeing the enemy in front of them. They circled around him and charged from both sides.

He swiftly evaded to the side and took a defensive stance. The battle turned into a stalemate.

'All or nothing.'

He darted forward and stabbed the wolf's neck pushing his broken body to the limits.

It struggled and covered its body in lightning also bit his hand. But he didn't pull back and pushed the sword deeper. The wolf twitched on the ground and stopped breathing moments later.

[Level up]

The last wolf shot crimson lightning at him. His already numb body turned lost all strength, the sword slipped from his fingers to the ground. The wolf pounced on the powerless prey and viciously bit his neck.

"Aargh!"

Leo tried to break free by punching its head, but the wolf persisted. He was close to passing out.

A sudden black aura erupted from him, scaring the wolf as it jumped back and eyed him cautiously.

Leo instincts took over and his eyes turned bloodshot. "DIE!" he yelled and dashed forward.

The wolf felt threatened, following its instincts it ran back deeper into the caves.

'Having a high magic defense has its perks, huh.'

Seeing no enemies nearby, his torn body collapsed on the ground and drank some Ambrosia. Picking himself up, he dragged the monster bodies into the cave and covered it with stones.

(You could have put them in inventory.)

'...'

He took out the mana crystal from both corpses. It was dark red, just like the veins running throughout their body.

'This one will sell for?'

(400SP)

He clicked his tongue. 'Too low, I'll keep it for now.'

He dismantled the wolves and took out the flesh that looked edible and carried it to the river and cleaned it thoroughly with water.

'Buy me something to cook it.'

(2000SP)

'So high... buy it.'

Some sort of oven appeared in his hands, it was thrice the size of normal ones.

'Analyze'

[Magic oven]

An artifact that cooks food up to 700 degrees Celsius, powered by mana crystal.

"..."

101