Chapter 3: Battle of Gods III P1
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While falling back, many perished by those golden arrow-like beams. They were targeting the whole second district. Houses were getting destroyed and debris was falling onto the ground destroying the tiles and crushing the soldiers beneath them.

Nothing could stop those beams as they pierced through everything on their way.

Nishky and twelve soldiers were taking cover in an alley beside the main road. Among them, five were mages. They were not deep inside the alley when they took cover.

Nishky moved his head and looked at the main street. As far as he could see in that darkness, dead bodies were everywhere, and a strong smell of blood had spread in the air.

He moved his gaze up to the sky where the vast darkness was punctuated by the flickering light of stars that shone more brightly than ever before, now that the mana lamps had been mostly destroyed. The moon was still behind a large body of clouds preventing its dim light from even being seen from the ground.

On the other hand, unlike him, Demons around him could see as if it was in the middle of the day.

{Way to go Annabella! Using my ideas on your "Demons" when we don't see in the dark ourselves!} 

[Is it clear?] A soldier said. He was young with short black hair and green eyes.

{A mixed blood, huh…}

[It should be good to go.] Nishky replied.

Everyone nodded.

They all ran to the main street and dispersed. As they did so, some soldiers emerged from the alleys and joined the fray. Maybe thinking sticking to a God is better than going alone. 

[Take cover in those alleys!] Nishky shouted to the new groups while pointing to where was safe for them to take cover.

{I have to manage these guys somehow too!} He screamed.

His eyes were used to the darkness, but he was still uncertain where he should step without hitting a body or pebble resulting in him rolling on the ground.

{Any moment now! I'll hit something and fall!!} He said to himself many times from the moment he started to run. 

The well-known ear-piercing sound echoed. The pale faces of soldiers turned purple from fear, and everyone began to run faster as their lives were at stake.

The golden beams replaced the dim lights of stars and fell upon the second district with their terrifying noise.

{We can't make it!}

Nishky looked back to the two soldiers closest to him. He could see their pale faces filled with fear and one of them, the mage, was on the verge of tears.

Without thinking, he stopped, turned around grabbed both of their hands, and pulled them towards himself. Both of them were in shock. They didn't know what was Nishky going to do or what they had to do.

{If he is going to use me as a shield… then be it… Sorry mother, father…} The mage thought and the tears that she was holding ran loose on her face.

Meanwhile, the other one's mind went blank when her hand was taken by Nishky, a man.

{If it's just a slim chance, then be it. I'll protect those who I can.}

Nishky turned around. His back faced the coming arrows. He pulled those two closer, then pushed them down, making them crouch. He used his body as a cover for them. At the same time, Nishky cast a few thick mana walls to maybe slow the beams.

The mage had her eyes closed as if she was ready to die. Nishky didn't see them though. He lowered his defenseless head and braced.

Beams fell, and the ear-deafening sound of mana walls shattering like glass resonated. Beams hit Nishky's armor and disappeared. Like hammers hitting on metal, they were making that kind of sound and impact on Nishky. 

{I'm an idiot!} Nishky exclaimed. {Yes..!! Why not!? Their arrows didn't penetrate the wall and they are made from the same metal as my armor! And every knight!}

The ear-piercing sound died out and no more arrows were hitting on his back.

[D-Did it end…?] The mage said.

Nishky let go of the soldiers and moved back. Looking back at where the others were, he saw nothing but dead bodies. Blood was running down the slope towards the gate like a river.

[We don't have time, let's go.]

The swordswomen and the mage nodded.

They started running in front while Nishky was behind them. Another volley came and they repeated the same thing.

.....

Five knights dashed out from the gate carrying long black shields.

[There are soldiers still in the alleys, we need to save them.]

[But how!?] A knight

[With your shields. The arrows don't penetrate dense magical metals. We can make some blockades in the second district now. Using those kinds of metals and making a roof or something, we can send units to defend against the incoming enemy.]

[In the alleys are our best bet then.]

[Yes.]

[But why sir do you think they are going to destroy the walls.]

[My guts.] Nishky replied with a dead serious face.

Following the knights, soldiers, and mages ran while some pulled and some pushed large chunks of black metal on wheeled structures.

They scavenged the materials from the storage and by melting and cooling the weapons designated to be destroyed in the explosion.

[This way we can do some hit-and-run.] Nishky murmured.

[Indeed. If things go as you said.]

[They will. I'm one hundred percent sure that Ian is not in charge. The church will come first and what Ian wants is their failure so, there is no backup from his units.]

[Hmm…]

[There is another thing that I'm sure… probably.]

It was about half a year ago when savior Gods gathered. When Goddess of Wisdom, Albertina, found a way to mass-produce magic gears that made up for the wearer's lack of power and mana. It was the best achievement that their leader, Ian the God of war could hope for but, the gear had a downside.

[From the looks of it, I say that they have still that flaw. The flaw that costs the wearer's life to operate the weapons.] Nishky said while leaning against the wall.

[If they continue…] A knight replied.

[They die for sure.] Nishky said and took a breath. [Those pitiful people, the followers of the church, they are those who were farmers or poor traders, craftsmen, and maybe even children of the poor nobles following the church for a piece of glory. Believer of the church or not, they are now used by the corrupted system that Ian lost control of and now is under the control of the Bishops. That's how they are. The church's true self.]

{Or color I have to say!?} Nishky smiled. It was a dark sarcastic type of smile. {It must be true that he's lost control over the church's higher-ups then. He must be pissed.}

[Well then, if you excuse me, sir, I'll join the knights.]

[Albert, sir.]

[Yes, sir Nishky?]

[I have a request. Please listen to me.]

Nishky bowed.

Albert, with his barely open eyes, stared at him.

[There is no need for you to bow sir.]

[It is. Because it is a selfish request from me.]

[Let's hear it first.]

[Please leave this battle to me and join the queen.]

.....

Two priests walked inside the tent.

Ian was lying back on his chair; something similar to the bishop's chair.

There was a huge table beside him with a map and his helmet was on it. And on his left were his weapons and two shields on a frame.

The priests bowed on the ground.

[O` God, please lend us your strength.] Without moving their head, one of the priests said.

[And for what purpose?] Coldly, Ian replied and stared at them with his brown eyes.

He had a handsome face and a well-made body. Not very big and not very skinny. His hair was black like Nishky and it was a bit lower than his neck.

One of the priests secretly looked up. He saw him staring at them with cold eyes making him shiver in silence.

[To bring down the demons' walls and destroy them.] The other one said.

[So, the mighty Bishop is out of cards?] Ian said in mockery.

The priests didn't say anything. But their whole body shook.

{It's a good time to say bring that asshole and make him bow to me, but…} Ian sighed. {For the sake of my plan I'll just ignore him. I can take care of him another time.}

[Very well.] Ian nodded. [I'll see to that wall crumble, but the rest is all on yourselves.]

Standing beside the entrance, Yato started heading towards the wall after receiving the nod from Ian.

{Did it go smoothly like this!?}

{Really!?}

The priests couldn't believe how easily Ian accepted their request.

.....

[What!? How can we trust a trai…]

Albert raised his hand and the knight stopped.

[As I've said, every man has a reason for what he says and does.]

[Yes.] Nishky replied. [You've been with queen… Annabella, longer than me. You've fought beside her more than me. You know her more than me. Everyone trusts you more than me. I can't replace you in thousands of years. I can't even hope for that. I was the one who left her and didn't come back to her aid when she most wanted it. I'm a failure as a God.]

[…]

[I know it's not convincing and selfish but, I won't be able to come back. I have a reason but, I can't tell you, sir Albert.]

{I just can't tell them I'm the reason they've found this place, can I?}

[Please, sir. Accept my last and dying wish.]

[You have changed.]

Nishky looked at Albert with a shocked expression.

[I believe, the queen would have said that.]

Nishky smiled wryly.

A huge explosion hit the barrier. The barrier absorbed as much as it could, but the force of that explosion was greater than its absorption power.

Another four explosions came after. They were stronger than the first one if not weaker.

In front of their eyes, Nishky, Albert, and the knight, the walls and the gate crumbled leaving a massive screen of dust.

From the other side of that huge dust screen, soldiers roared and let out battle cries.

[[MEN LISTEN!]] Albert started using telepathy but even in telepathy, he was shouting. [[Today, I don't see any man or woman. I don't see any purebloods or none purebloods. I don't see any knights, archers, swordsmen, mages, magicians. I don't see anyone frightened. I don't see anyone thinking about taking a step back. I don't see anyone intimidated by the enemy and the death itself. All I see around me…]] He stopped. 

[[ARE DEMONS. PROUD DEMONS. BRAVE FEARLESS WARRIORS. BELIEVERS- of a better future. LOVERS- of their world. COMRADES- in arms. And in the middle of all these great demons, I see a man; a God. Who is fighting for his lost honor! For his broken trust and his lover. He is fighting believing in a brighter future.]]

[[He is here to fight fearlessly for the people and the world. He IS fighting for the one whom he has never seen. For a child. For a woman. For a world. For people. He is fighting, to preserve them all.]]

Everyone behind the wall was looking at Albert and Nishky. 

[[Now men! Wear your armor and sharpen your sword, for this day, shall be written in history with the blood of your bravery, acts of your heroism, and papers from your souls for our children to read!]]

Albert pulled his sword from the scabbard on his waist. 

[[To arms, men! We shall not let them set foot inside the castle's yard!]]

Everyone roared. It seemed like they were burning as they were releasing a huge amount of mana in the air.

[Here sir. Take it.]

Albert brought two crystal balls the size of his palm and Nishky took them.

[These are mana crystals. They contain dense mana inside. To use it simply hold it in front of your mouth and suck on it like drinking from a straw.]

{So this is the thing mages are carrying.}

Nishky frowned then looked at Albert.

[No, they don't have a taste.] Albert said as if he knew what Nishky was going to ask.

[I see.]

[First of all, I wish for your safe return and if it didn't go well, I wish you a better life in your next.]

[Thanks, Albert.]

Albert and Nishky shook hands.

[I'll take care of this traitor sir, don't worry.] The knight said with a tad of sarcasm.

Albert nodded with a half-smile then gave a small bow.

[Well then, I shall have my leave. Good luck to you, sir.]

0