Terror of the Beanstalk
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        This story starts off as any other, a classic tale as old as time. Or that’s what they want you to believe. We open on an old rickety looking shack, surrounded by large empty fields. A young lad named Jack leaves towards town, leading the last of the family’s cows. His goal was to sell her for a nice price so that he and his uncle are able to eat. Once at the market Jack begins advertising the cow to be sold. After hours of waiting, Jack’s patience finally pays off. A mysterious man in dark flowing robes makes him an offer for the cow. “Say… boy, that animal will make a fine and beautiful wife once I use my magic on her. Unfortunately I do not have any gold to pay for it, but I do have these!” he exclaimed, holding out three glowing beans. Jack looks up to question the old wizard about them but the wizard and the cow are gone.

        

          Back home Jack worries what to do with the beans. His uncle will be back from his job soon, the cow is missing and all he’s got to show for it are just some stupid beans. He throws them into the dirt, “If i’m lucky,” he thinks, “maybe those beans are magic.” Little did he know, soon the beans would sprout, and grow high into the clouds. Later that morning, Jack awoke to find a massive great beanstalk, spiraling high into the air. Idly Jack wonders just what it is like up in the clouds. He gathers his climbing gear and begins his journey up the stalk.


           Hours pass, then night comes and still he has yet to reach the top. As he climbs he uses the beanstalk itself as his source of nourishment. Soon he can see it, a large structure unlike anything Jack has ever seen before. Many times wider than even the beanstalk he sets off to explore the massive stone building. It isn’t until Jack stands before a massive throne inside of the dark catacombs, that he realizes he is inside an oversized castle. There is an uneasy calm in the air, the room feels cold and lifeless. Jack takes a nearby branch, wrapping it in one of the rags he brought with him on his journey, and sets it ablaze, illuminating the area. A large body sits in the massive throne, a knife through its chest, blood gushing from his wound. Jack feels his body freeze as he looks at the giant closer. The massive green eyes of the giant stares directly into his soul. A rumbling is heard as the giant begins to stir, shaking the ground with his effort. A heart stopping roar wailed through the chamber, causing Jack to turn and flee, forgetting about adventure and running straight back to the beanstalk and his humble farm. The giant's slow staggering steps thunder throughout the empty throne room. A scream of pain and rage ringing through halls, the giant stumbles after Jack, quickly catching up despite his injury. As Jack attempts to climb back down the beanstalk, the giant grabs a bit of stone from the crumbling walls and hurls it toward him. The worst of the rocks miss him and slams into the beanstalk. Unfortunately many of the smaller rocks hit Jack, their high velocity tearing through his flesh. One rock piercing his left eye, another severing his right hand, one embedded into his kidney, and one blowing out his right kneecap. As Jack falls, he sees the light in the giant's eyes fade, and drops to the ground dead. Jack lands on a further down part of the beanstalk, breaking some of his ribs. He struggles back down the beanstalk, much slower than the first time. Slowly he fades into unconsciousness and slips… 


Jack’s uncle, Thomas was his name, was stubborn and hard to get along with. However, when Jack’s parents died, he was all that was left to take care of the boy. Thomas showed up later than he said he would, trying to earn the money to survive in their poor little shack. He wondered where the boy was, getting worried now that he hasn’t seen or heard Jack at all today. That's when something broke through the roof, nearly giving Thomas a heart attack. He looked closer, a bloody and broken mess lay on the floor. Thomas turned away in revulsion at the sight. But as he looked closer, a horrified expression flashed across his face. It was Jack! He ran out of the house, not noticing the small, withered form of a normal sized beanstalk. The town guard inspected the body, noting the many injuries from the rocks. They saw how pale he was and assumed that Jack had bled out from his injuries. They accused Thomas of killing the boy and arrested him. 


After many years of prison Thomas was taken to an old tower. There he met a mysterious man in dark flowing robes, next to him sat a pretty young woman wearing an elegant cow print dress with flowing red hair. The old figure spoke, “You have suffered a great deal of hardship. You have lost everything, your farm, your family, your life. I offer you a deal. I will give you a good life, but only if you pledge your loyalty to me.” Thomas didn’t think about it. He had nothing left, nothing to give and nothing to live for. Thomas responds, “I accept.”

0