First Steps pt.2
183 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jason and Garth finally had a moment to talk after things had calmed down. The only problem left to deal with was the news of small bands of Dothraki roaming around villages beyond the city. Jason had a plan for dealing with that, but first, he had to convince Garth to stay.

Jason and Garth walked to the bank of the Skahazadhan. The people they passed on their way there bowed to Jason.

"You're starting to like it, aren't you?"

"Like what?" Jason feigned ignorance, though a smile crept onto his face.

"That," Garth gestured towards another couple that bowed as they walked past. "The reverence, the admiration."

"I guess I am," he admitted, his gaze lingering on the clear waters of the river.

"Where I came from, I was just another guy. Nothing special. But here... it's different. There's something about being seen as something more."

“I guess I now know how the famous people back home feel,” Jason added.

Garth sighed. “Well, just don’t let it go to your head. Remember, Jason, with great power comes great responsibility,” Garth said seriously.

Jason let out a bellowing laugh. He had to stop and steady himself as he laughed uncontrollably.

“What… What's so funny? I was being serious, Jason,” Garth said, confused by his friend's actions.

Jason continued laughing. “I’m sorry, but I can’t believe you said that,” he said through the laughter.

“What did I say?” Garth asked.

“Nothing. You wouldn’t get it."

"Let’s go to that spot over there,” Jason said, recovering from the laughs and pointing to a large tree by the river.

Garth shook his head and followed Jason, who still kept laughing, much to Garth’s annoyance.

“Look at that,” Jason said, pointing to some children playing near the river. They saw him and cheered and waved.

Jason waved back.

He then used his powers to manipulate the water from the river, forming small orbs that floated towards the children, eliciting gasps of delight and laughter from the young ones. The orbs danced around them before gently splashing back into the river, leaving the children clamoring for more.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Jason asked Garth, who was observing him.

Garth took a deep breath.

"Ever since you used that ability on me, I've noticed changes," Garth began.

"I feel... sharper, more perceptive. Learning comes easier to me now, and I can process thoughts and actions at a speed I never thought possible."

Jason listened intently.

"So, you believe the memory extraction has somehow enhanced you?" he asked.

Garth nodded. "Yes, it's like my senses have been heightened. And not just my mind. My entire being feels more attuned.”

“So, I didn't do the memory extraction on you. I did something…”

“New,” Garth said, interrupting.

Jason paused, considering the implications. “If what you're saying is true, then I can enhance people. That’s incredible.”

“And dangerous,” Garth added.

“Yes, dangerous. I'd rather find a way to pass on skills than enhance a person,” Jason muttered.

“Pass on skills? Why?” Garth asked.

“Ah, I’ll tell you that later, but I also have something important to ask you,” Jason said, looking at Garth with a serious expression.

"Garth, I've been thinking," Jason started. "This place... it's grown on me. I think we could do some real good here."

“Are you saying…”

“Yes, I wish to stay here,” Jason admitted.

“Why? I thought we could continue our journey after a few weeks,” Garth asked.

“Think about how much good we could do here, Garth,” Jason argued.

“Oh please, Jason, like I’m going to believe that’s the only reason for your decision,” Garth retorted.

“Ok, fine, I admit it. Yes, the idea of being treated like royalty is appealing. I like it. Think about it, Garth. We could create something new here. We can protect these people. Isn't that worth staying for?"

Garth, however, wasn't easily swayed. "Jason, you're talking about a monumental task. We're strangers in a strange land, and you more than me. You can't just decide to play lord over these people because they see you as some kind of savior.”

Jason sighed, realizing he needed to approach this differently. "Garth, you've seen what I can do. You've seen the difference we've already made. I'm asking you, as my friend, to help me. Think of the good we can do together."

"Is't that your duties as a maester. Look at those children Garth how long do you think they are taken away by another raid or their parents"

"Think of the lives we can save."

Garth was silent for a while, he looked out over at the river, watching the children play with the water orbs Jason had created.

Jason could see his words taking effect it was a good thing he saw the children here.

"Alright, Jason," Garth finally said, turning back to face him. "I'll stay, but I don’t think you know what you're getting into.”

A broad smile broke out on Jason's face, relief and gratitude mingling in his expression. "Thank you, Garth. And don’t worry about it. I mean, how hard can it be?"


Jason had taken residence in one of the city's grander abodes—a small mansion that once belonged to a wealthy merchant.

As he explored the house, he was impressed. A mansion like this could only belong to someone immensely wealthy; the view was amazing as well, allowing him to see the entire city since the mansion was built on the side of the mountain that loomed over the city.

Walking around the house, he realized the only sounds he could hear were his footsteps.

"Can't even hear the sounds from the city anymore," Jason thought.

"What am I doing here?" Jason wondered, confused about his presence in the mansion.

Suddenly, Jason was jolted from his thoughts by a soft, whispering sound. It seemed to beckon him, a barely audible murmur that felt both distant and intimately close.

Intrigued and slightly apprehensive, he followed the sound, which led him to a spacious chamber at the heart of the mansion. Dominating the room was a large, ornate Brazier, ablaze with a roaring fire that cast dancing shadows on the walls.

He slowly approached, realizing he did not remember a room like this in the mansion.

The whispering grew louder and clearer.

"I see you," the voice hissed.

Jason stumbled backward, his heart racing. The voice, ethereal and disembodied, filled him with dread.


He woke up gasping for breath in his bed, the morning sun casting a soft glow through the windows of his room.

Laying in the soft bed for a moment, he tried to steady his racing heart.

"It was just a dream," he thought.

It was a dream unlike any he had ever experienced before. It left him with an unsettling feeling, a sense of being watched even after he woke up.

Jason walked outside the mansion to the courtyard, where the cool morning air brushed against his skin as he watched the sunrise.

He sensed movement to his side and was surprised to see two young women approaching him. Their eyes widened as they realized he was looking at them.

"Can I help you?" Jason asked.

"We were sent by lady Irina to serve you," one of the girls explained as they bowed to him.

"Alright, I suppose I could use some help," Jason conceded, deciding to accept their offer. It was a big house; someone had to look after it.

"Could one of you fetch me the swords I have inside the house?" Jason asked, remembering something he had been planning to do today.

Without hesitation, they scurried off to fulfill his request, returning moments later with the swords in hand.

"Thank you," he said, levitating the swords from their hands. They gasped at this show of power.

"Oh, how rude of me. What are your names?" Jason asked, realizing he had not yet asked for their names.

"Cyra," the girl with fair skin and brown eyes answered.

"Dara," the girl with olive skin and black eyes responded.

"Well, Cyra, Dara, thank you for helping me. Why don’t you get me something to eat?"

Cyra and Dara nodded eagerly. Jason couldn't help but feel a twinge of discomfort at the way they looked at him; it was the same look the woman who sent them here gave him. They quickly made their way into the mansion.

Alone again in the quiet of the courtyard, Jason turned his attention back to the swords. He held them up, examining them closely. Levitating them again, he concentrated and tapped into his ability to manipulate matter.

The metal began to soften and became malleable; the swords had now lost all form as they began to merge together into a single entity. The process was silent, almost serene. Metal flowed like water under Jason’s will, and within moments, the transformation was complete. In his hands, he now held a single, beautifully crafted spear.

"Ha ha, it worked!" he shouted in triumph.

He admired the spear as the light of the rising sun reflected off its surface.

"I should add some patterns to it; it would make it look cooler," Jason thought.

He saw Dara and Cyra returning with a tray laden with food.

He could get used to this: a large mansion, servants at his beck and call, and powers that defied the laws of nature.

They set down the tray of food before him.

"Thank you, both of you. This looks delicious," Jason said, offering them a smile to put them at ease. They smiled back and took a respectful step back, waiting to see if he needed anything else.

As he was eating, he saw Garth and Cregan approaching.

"Ah, just on time," Jason shouted out.

Jason gestured towards the freshly prepared food laid out on the table. "Please, join me. There's plenty for everyone," he encouraged.

Garth and Cregan exchanged a look before taking their seats and joined Jason for breakfast.

"So, about this army you're planning to build," Garth started.

"What's your plan?" he added.

"Aye, I'm curious too. You told me you have a way to turn these men into masters of the sword in minutes," Cregan asked.

"Wait, minutes! Jason, you can't mean..." Garth said with a look of shock on his face.

Jason nodded, a serious look on his face. "Yes, that is exactly what I mean to do."

"Are you not the man who agreed with me yesterday that it was too dangerous?" Garth said, standing up and getting angrier as he spoke.

"Calm down, Garth, you haven't heard the whole thing yet," Jason said, trying to calm his friend down.

Cregan was confused by the whole interaction; he simply kept eating and waited to see where all this was going.

"Garth, I understand your worries, but I've thought this through. I intend to transfer only my skills with weapons. It's more of a skill share than an enhancement."

Garth, still skeptical, sat back down. "And you're sure this can be done without the... side effects I experienced?"

Jason nodded confidently.

Cregan, who had been quietly listening, chimed in, "Have you found any volunteers yet?"

Jason smiled. "Actually, yes. I've asked someone to help gather some willing participants."

"And who might that be?" Garth inquired.

"Irina," Jason replied.

"Of course, it's her," Garth said, looking annoyed.

"What? What's wrong?" Jason asked.

"She is dangerous, Jason. Do you know what she has been spouting to the people of the city?"

"Irina dangerous?" Jason began laughing. "Yeah, she can be a bit creepy with the staring, but she has been a great help."

"Look at this mansion; she's the one who pointed it out to me. She even sent me those two," Jason said, pointing to Dara and Cyra.

Garth was about to say something when Jason spotted Irina approaching with ten men following behind her.

"Ah, there she is," Jason said, standing up.

"I have done as you requested, great one," Irina said, bowing her head. The others did as well.

Jason observed the ten men Irina had brought before him.

Turning to Irina, he offered a genuine smile. "Thank you, Irina."

Irina beamed at the acknowledgment. She sent a smug smile Garth's way, to which he responded with a glare.

"Let's see who we have here," Jason said, motioning for the first man to step forward. A man younger than him stepped forward.

"Your name?" Jason asked, his tone friendly to ease the man's nerves.

"My name is Anoush great one," the man replied.

"Anoush, that is a nice name," Jason complimented.

"You are all to be granted a gift, and Anoush here will be the first," Jason said, looking at the ten men.

"Don't be afraid," Jason said as he took Anoush's hands.

Jason closed his eyes, focusing on the knowledge and skills he intended to share. After a moment, Jason released Anoush's hands.

"Test him," Jason said, turning to Cregan.

Cregan, with a curious glance at Jason, nodded and stepped forward, drawing his sword. "Alright, Anoush, let's see what you've got." he said.

Jason gave Anoush a sword. He hesitated for a moment before instinctively grabbing it.

Cregan launched a series of controlled attacks, each designed to test Anoush. To everyone's astonishment, Anoush parried and countered with the skill of a seasoned swordsman. His movements were fluid, precise, and executed with confidence.

After a few minutes of sparring, Cregan stepped back, sheathing his sword with a grin. "Well, I'll be damned. He's as good as any trained soldier."

"Well, who's next?" Jason said, looking at the remaining nine.

4