Two Years Later
180 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Garth was tired, which was strange since he didn't need much sleep or rest since Jason had enhanced him. He had been awake for the past twenty hours, overseeing everything. He followed the flurry of activity as workers removed the last of the furniture and scrolls, moving them out of the room he had been using as his base of operations for the last two years.

After arriving back in the city, having defeated and driven away the Dothraki plaguing the lands, Jason immediately granted him a title and dumped all the responsibilities of running the city and organizing his new fiefs onto Garth. In his opinion, one of the few things Jason was good at, other than making up the most outlandish tales and doing absolutely nothing, was making up grandiose titles.

"Garth, I name you my Grand Vizier," Jason said to him in a hastily assembled ceremony.

"The grand what?" he replied in a low voice.

"As the Grand Vizier, you will be my second in command. You will oversee the daily operations of our city and the territories under our control," Jason explained.

"What a great honor," Garth responded with a forced smile.

He then proceeded to name Irina as the Arch Priestess and Cregan as the Supreme Commander. His 'friend' had seemingly dumped all the responsibilities on them and retreated to his mansion.

Garth took his role seriously; he quickly gathered the small group of students he had been teaching to help him run the city; he also found help with what was left of the city's leadership. Together, they had steered the city and its surrounding lands through a year of rapid change and growth, all while dealing with Jason's detached approach to leadership, Irina's zealous religious activities, and Cregan's demands for military resources.

Garth had meticulously set about organizing the hierarchy of governance for the expanding territory. Jason occasionally chimed in, providing titles for various positions, much to Garth's annoyance. He sometimes wondered if Jason had a list of titles lying around, given their grandiose nature.

Jason created the title of 'Nomarchs' for the leaders of the newly integrated villages. Aware of Irina's growing influence in the religious and cultural spheres of the villages, Garth ensured he himself selected Nomarchs for the largest and most influential villages, securing their loyalty to him.

His selections were calculated to balance Irina's influence as religious fervor was sweeping through the populace. Jason, while seemingly detached, was not ignorant of the potential issues that the new religion could cause. He had created a set of rules for her to follow, most of them taken from faiths from his world; he was also filling her head with stories about him, something Jason had confessed to him were just popular stories from his home.

Garth was also in the process of establishing a network of informants to keep a watchful eye on any religious persecutions or extreme zealotry that might destabilize their fledgling realm. So far, he had not received any news of any incidents, something he was getting suspicious about.

Jason didn't remain idle for long, as about a year ago, his powers had grown enough that he could shape the earth using his powers on a large scale. He remembered a very excited Jason coming to him and telling him of the wonders he was going to make.

"It's going to be great, Garth, and here I thought I was going to be bored," Jason said, shaking Garth with barely contained excitement.

He began modestly, aiding with essential infrastructure to support the growing population. Although Kosrak lacked skilled craftsmen and artisans, Garth discovered that many of the freed slaves from the Dothraki were artisans, craftsmen, and builders with valuable knowledge and skills.

Once liberated, they eagerly contributed to Kosrak's development, Some hailed from the East Yi-Ti and beyond and others from the Free Cities in the West. They were among the first converts to the new religion centered around Jason, whose grand architectural projects only reinforced their faith.

Jason constructed aqueducts to replace the city's deteriorated water system and worked on new irrigation systems and improving the agricultural lands around Kosrak. This improved crop yields and variety, boosting the local economy and food supply. His efforts in reshaping the land for better irrigation and enriching the soil were viewed as miraculous,further entrenching their faith in their new god.

However, about nine months ago, Jason undertook a project that, in Garth's view, was purely a vanity project. Gazing out of the window, his gaze fell on this project: his new home for the foreseeable future.

It was a massive structure carved out of the mountainside, a city within the mountain itself, composed of multiple concentric levels, each encircled by white walls and stacked like steps into the mountain's core.

Each level served a distinct purpose: the lower levels had markets, workshops, and residences for the populace. Those who could had already moved there had started calling Kosrak the old city.

The middle tiers were dedicated to administrative and military functions, housing the offices of the Nomarchs, military barracks, and training grounds. Garth and Cregan had contributed to the design of these tiers, with Jason eagerly asking for their input, much like a child crafting a sandcastle.

The upper levels were reserved for opulent mansions, gardens, and temples but this remained barren for now and would be finished in a few years as Jason had only focused on the more important parts of the mountain city.

Initially Garth considered Lhazar a backwater but was surprised when he saw that it had it's own nobility and vert rich and wealthy merchant class. Many of whom were early converts to Jason's religion; they were already lining up to buy spots for their mansions there.

At the summit there was a palace that served as Jason's residence. Irina, ambitious as ever, proclaimed it the Grand Temple, intending it to be the spiritual center of their new faith. She began transferring her operations to its large, albeit incomplete, halls.

Despite his doubts about the project's extravagance, Garth had to admit the awe it evoked in both residents and visitors.

 


 

He was about to leave for the 'Grand Temple,' as it was called, when he saw Cregan enter the room and approach with a sense of urgency.

"Garth, we have some visitors," he said.

"Have another Nomarch come to pay tribute to Jason?" Garth asked dryly.

"No, they claim to be from Hesh."

"Hesh?" Intrigued, Garth followed Cregan to the entrance, where a small delegation stood, their faces etched with anticipation and reverence. They were richly dressed, signifying their elite status in their city. As they spotted Garth, they immediately kneeled, heads bowed low.

"We come from Hesh, Grand Vizier," one of them spoke, his voice trembling. "Our city has renounced the weak guidance of the Great Shepherd and has been enlightened by the teachings of the Great Liberator. We, the council of elders of Hesh, are here to offer the city's service to his divine realm."

Garth's initial surprise turned to irritation, his brows furrowing. "Rise, please. There's no need for kneeling," he said sharply, masking his rising anger at Irina for her lack of communication about her activities in Hesh.

"So, Hesh has renounced the Great Shepherd?" Garth inquired.

"Yes, Grand Vizier," the leader of the delegation replied. "Our people have seen the truth. We seek to formally join the realm of the Great One and serve under his divine guidance."

'Damn you, Irina, why wasn't I informed of this? Is this the same situation in Lhazosh? Should we expect another delegation from there?' Garth thought.

Cregan, who had been silent, spoke up, "Aye, this is great, Garth. I was already preparing for our expansion to the other branch of the Skahazadhan. Hesh could be the perfect base of operations."

Garth sighed and nodded. "Darius," he called to his assistant.

"Yes, Grand Vizier?" Darius responded promptly, stepping forward from behind him.

"Prepare the appropriate lodging for our guests," Garth ordered. He then turned to the delegation, "Your request will be relayed to the Great One," he declared.

The delegation seemed pleased with Garth's response, bowing respectfully. "We thank you, Grand Vizier. We await the Great One's decision and are ready to assist in making the transition as harmonious as possible."

As they departed, Garth turned to Cregan. "Should we expect one from Lhazosh as well? What else has Irina been doing?"

"That is for you to worry about." Cregan said, chuckling. " Inform me if you want some troops moved into Hesh," he added before leaving.

Garth's gaze shifted to the summit of the mountain city where he knew Jason and Irina would be. As he was about to leave, he paused, seeing the approaching form of the two immortals assigned to guard him.

The Immortals were another one of Jason's grandiose titles, this time given to the hundred men he had enhanced. A fitting name, in Garth's opinion; they were truly an unstoppable force.

Their armor, a mix of gold and ebony, glinted in the sunlight, made by Jason himself using his powers. Neither he nor the blacksmiths in the city could figure out what metal it was; the blacksmiths had taken to calling it 'divine metal,' as it was made by Jason himself. Intricate designs swirled across the surface of the armor, creating mesmerizing patterns that seemed to dance and shift with each movement.

It was the helmets they wore that Garth found unnerving, especially the metal masks that hid their faces, molded to resemble Jason's visage. It gave the impression that Jason's gaze was always upon you through the Immortals.

The Immortals themselves had become part of the power struggle between him and Irina. While the Immortals were fanatically loyal to Jason, Irina was the one who had chosen the first of the hundred to be enhanced. Realizing the danger posed by this, he had convinced Jason to let him choose the other half. He had been the one to choose forty-five of them so now most of the Immortals held secondary loyalties to both him and Irina.

 


 

Garth made his way to the mountain and eventually reached the summit, where he saw Jason and Irina sitting around a table, surrounded by the first ten immortals, Jason's preferred personal guard. As he approached, he overheard their conversation.

"Select ten and bring them to me," Jason commanded.

"Yes, my lord. I will have them ready by morning," Irina responded.

"This isn't a trivial matter Irina, take your time…. that is unless you already have ten in mind," Jason added.

Garth cleared his throat as he approached, drawing the attention of both Jason and Irina.

"Garth, just the man I wanted to see," Jason exclaimed, standing up to greet him.

"Grand Vizier," Irina acknowledged with a nod, her expression unreadable.

"I heard you talking about selection. You are not planning on enhancing more people, are you?" Garth inquired with concern in his voice.

"Indeed, we are," Jason confirmed, smiling.

"Why?" Garth asked, alarmed.

"We already have the immortals," he added.

"That is the problem, Garth. They are all men. The ten I am going to enhance are women," Jason explained.

"Our lord has already decreed men and women to be equal. Questions about the absence of female immortals have arisen," Irina said.

"I've heard nothing of this. What purpose will these enhanced women serve?" Garth pressed.

"They could serve the temple..." Irina started.

"I have not decided on that, Irina," Jason said, interrupting her. He looked a bit annoyed by her suggestion.

"I hope you consider the request, my lord," Irina implored.

"Thank you, Irina. You may leave. Garth and I need to discuss some things," Jason said, dismissing the Arch Priestess.

Irina bowed and left, leaving Garth and Jason alone.

"Now that she is gone, cover your face with this and follow me," Jason said, throwing a piece of cloth to Garth. Garth noted that Jason had one as well.

"Why?" Garth asked, his enhanced mind pondering what Jason had planned.

"I built an amphitheater in the lower levels," Jason began.

"Yes, I have seen it," Garth responded.

Jason guided Garth to a more private place by the edge of the terrace, away from the immortals. They could see the city of Kosrak and its surroundings in the distance; it was a breathtaking sight.

"Remember when I told you about how I made up stories about myself when Irina asked me about my origins?" Jason said with a huge grin on his face.

Garth nodded.

"Irina has told me that the temple has produced a play about my origins," Jason continued.

"Yes, I have heard about that as well," Garth replied. He had been wanting to know what Jason had filled the woman's head with.

"So, you and I are going to watch it. Irina offered me a private viewing, but it would be much better seeing it with the audience," Jason said, covering his face with the cloth.

"I have been wanting to know what rubbish you have been filling our arch priestess's head with." Garth said, chuckling.

"Hey, it was very compelling from what I remember. She even teared up," Jason said, slightly offended.

"Wait, you don't remember what you told her?" Garth asked.

"Some parts. I was getting very drunk by the end of it," Jason admitted.

"Fine, let's go see the origins of the Great Liberator," Garth said, covering his face.

 


 

Jason ordered the immortals to stay; they protested but could not disobey a direct order from him.

They made their way to the large theater, where Jason found seats he deemed the best. The semi-circular arrangement provided an unobstructed view of the stage from every seat.

"This is going to be great," Jason said excitedly.

Garth turned his gaze to the stage as the curtain rose, revealing a modest village setting. A young man wandered onto the stage, going about his daily life.

"Oh, that's me," Jason commented.

More scenes followed as the mummer playing Jason lived his life in the village. His kind nature was especially shown through the scenes.

Suddenly, from stage left, an actor garbed in robes and holding a staff walked in, introducing himself as Gandalf.

Gandalf, with a deep, resonant voice, addressed Jason, "Young one, you believe yourself to be just a man, but within you flows the blood of the divine."

Jason, taken aback, replied, "A god, me? But how? My life is here, among these fields and streams. I am no one of consequence."

Gandalf continued, his gaze intensifying, "Your father was a hero, a beacon of light in dark times. He fought against the ruinous powers that seek to enslave us all, but alas, he was struck down before his quest was complete."

Jason, now visibly shaken, questioned, "My father? I was told he was but a simple farmer."

The scene continued as Gandalf talked to Jason.

"The acting is very bad," Jason said to Garth. He could not respond as the woman in front of them shushed them.

Gandalf moved closer, placing a hand on Jason's shoulder, "It has everything to do with you. You are the key to ending the darkness that plagues our lands. The same blood that coursed through your father's veins, the blood of a god, runs through yours. It is your destiny to take up his mantle and free our people from bondage."

Jason, stepping back, still struggling with disbelief, responded, "But I am no warrior. I don't know the first thing about fighting or leading armies."

Gandalf, with a knowing smile, reassured him, "Fear not, for I will guide you. Together, we will journey to unlock your true potential and gather allies. The path ahead is fraught with danger, but it is one you must walk. Are you ready to accept your destiny?"

The audience applauded as Jason accepted Gandalf's offer.

The play never referred to Jason by his true name Garth noted only he, Cregan, Irina and the immortals knew of it.

The curtains closed, and when they opened again, the stage transformed to depict a grand hall of gods, where Jason, now more confident and determined, sought the wisdom and aid of the pantheon.

"I wonder where she is going with this," Garth thought.

The mummers playing the deities were arrayed in magnificent costumes, each representing their divine aspects. Among them was the mummer playing the Great Shepherd, draped in robes of pale green, with a staff in hand.

Jason approached the assembly. "My lords, I come before you seeking your guidance and your strength. The land suffers under the yoke of darkness, and I wish to end this tyranny," he proclaimed boldly.

The mummer playing the Great Shepherd stepped forward, his voice gentle. "Your quest is noble, young one, yet fraught with peril. The forces you wish to challenge are beyond even our might. We have... reached an accord with them, for the sake of peace."

Jason, with disbelief and frustration in his tone, responded, "An accord? You mean to say you've bowed to them, allowed their cruelty to go unchecked, all in the name of peace?"

The Great Shepherd, with a sorrowful look, replied, "It is not a matter of cowardice, but of survival. To challenge them directly would bring untold suffering upon us all."

"No. I cannot accept that. There must be another way. A way to fight back, to protect those who cannot protect themselves. If you will not stand with me, then I shall stand alone."

There was thunderous applause from the audience.

"Of course, she portrays the Great Shepherd as a coward," Garth muttered.

"I don't remember telling her that," Jason responded.

There were scenes of Jason adventuring and defeating monsters; he was named the liberator by the people. Gandalf then tragically dies.

"Yeah I don't think he is coming back" he heard Jason comment.

The next scene was Jason's confrontation with Morgoth, the champion of the ruinous powers and the man who murdered Gandalf.

"This is going to be great," Jason said, shaking with excitement.

Jason and Morgoth locked in combat, their weapons clashing with a sound that echoed throughout the theater. The audience watched, breathless, as the struggle intensified.

Morgoth, towering and malevolent, voiced by a mummer with a deep, menacing tone, halted the combat abruptly. "There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you."

"You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the world," Morgoth continued.

Jason, panting and wary, responded defiantly, "I'll never join you!"

"If you only knew the strength of the ruinous powers. Gandalf never told you what happened to your father," Morgoth said with a sinister laugh.

"He told me enough! He told me you killed him!" the mummer playing Jason on stage and Jason sitting next to Garth said at the same time.

"No, I am your father."

The words hung in the air, a palpable shock rippled through the assembled spectators. Jason staggered, as if struck by an unseen force. "No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!"

Morgoth stepped closer, the malice in his eyes softening. "Search your feelings; you know it to be true!"

Jason let out an anguished cry. As the scene closed, the audience erupted into a mix of applause and hushed conversations.

"I did not see that coming," Garth said, genuinely surprised.

The stage was set with darkness, a backdrop for Jason's final stand against the ruinous powers. Surrounded by many dark figures, one of which was a horse,

'Ahh the great stallion I see what you're doing Irina' Garth thought seeing a horse which at first he thought was out of place.

Chained and defeated, Jason, with a mix of despair and resilience, addressed the audience directly.

"The darkness has won," he began, his voice echoing in the hushed theater.

The mummer playing the Great Shepherd, this time portrayed with a sinister grace, stepped forward. "I did what was necessary for peace. Your rebellion has brought only chaos. Accept your fate."

Jason, straining against his chains, retorted, "Peace built on the bones of the innocent is no peace at all."

"Though I may be bound, my spirit remains unbroken. I will break free from this prison one day, and I will destroy the ruinous powers once and for all," he declared.

The Great Shepherd, cloaked in darkness, responded with a cold laugh. "You are but one man against the might of the gods. What hope do you have?"

Garth could hear crying among the audience.

"Wow, this got very cheesy by the end," Jason muttered.

Garth thought, 'What does this have to do with cheese?'

"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am the truth... Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" Jason declared in defiance as the shepherd was blown away by the power of the weakened and bound Jason.

"YEESSSS!" Jason exclaimed, leaping up. Garth had to forcefully pull him back down to ensure their disguises remained intact.

"Quiet down," Garth hissed, pulling Jason back into his seat.

"I can't believe she remembered that," Jason remarked happily.

The play ended with a voice declaring that the Great Liberator was free and here to set things right.

The audience, along with Jason, stood up and gave a thunderous applause. Garth couldn't help but join in; it was a very entertaining play.

"That was surprisingly entertaining," Garth admitted, looking at Jason.

"It was a cringe fanfiction but you are right it was entertaining" Jason said applauding.

"You know, my sister used to write fanfiction," Jason said with a smile.

"She used to..." Jason trailed off. "My sister..." he repeated in a more subdued tone.

Garth noticed the change in Jason's face; he looked distressed, his earlier enthusiasm fading.

"Jason, are you alright?" Garth asked, concerned.

Jason was silent for a moment, then shook his head as if to clear it. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he finally said, but his voice lacked its usual cheer. They walked out of the theater.

Garth remained silent as they walked through the winding streets of the new city; the silence between them remained until they reached the summit.

"Jason, if there's anything you wish to talk about..." Garth finally broke the silence.

Jason gave him a small smile. "I am fine, Garth. I just remembered something that's all," he said.

"Are you sure?" Garth pressed.

"Yes, I'll see you tomorrow," Jason said, walking away.

Garth lingered for a while, watching Jason disappear into the large entrance. The night had ended in an unexpected somber tone.he saw the two immortals assigned to him walking towards him. Garth walked towards his new manor in the still unnamed city.

 


 

In the morning, Garth found Jason in the unfinished throne room, a vast space with high arched ceilings. The room was bathed in the soft glow of dawn. At the far end, he could see a raised dais where a throne would be placed. The walls, sculpted from the mountain itself, bore intricate half-finished carvings of Jason and the immortals freeing slaves and captives.

"Irina's doing, no doubt. The sculptor from Qarth, who had been a captive of the Dothraki, had been hard at work here," Garth thought.

Jason stood confidently at the center, having just finished enhancing ten women whom Irina brought to him. The women were tall and beautiful, their eyes filled with a mix of awe and reverence towards Jason. He could not tell if Jason was uncomfortable or extremely happy by the looks they were giving him.

Seeing Garth approach, Jason dismissed them. Garth then asked for a meeting, to which Jason led them to another large room. It was empty, with a large table in the middle. Scrolls and architectural plans were strewn across it, their voices echoed as they spoke.

"Garth, what brings you here so early?" Jason asked.

"A group from Hesh has arrived, seeking to join our realm. They claim their city has renounced the Great Shepherd and embraced your teachings," Garth explained.

Jason's eyes lit up with interest. "That's good news, isn't it?"

Irina, who had been silently listening, nodded in agreement. "The seeds we planted in Hesh are bearing fruit."

Garth turned his gaze to Irina, his expression serious. "I was unaware of these 'seeds' you planted, Irina. Why wasn't I informed of your activities there?"

Irina met his stare. "My mission was spiritual, Garth. I was focused on spreading the divine word of my god."

Their conversation quickly heated as Garth pressed on the importance of coordinated efforts and transparency, especially in actions that affected the kingdom's expansion.

"Yes, transparency and coordination when it only suits you," Irina said in her usual calm demeanor, but Garth could note a bit of venom in her voice.

"What of Lhazosh, then? Have you planted your seeds there as well?" Garth asked.

Irina nodded, "Yes, we have made significant progress, but…" Her voice trailed off, a flicker of concern passing over her face.

Jason, who had been silent, picked up on the hesitation in her voice and leaned forward. "But?"

"There have been troubling reports from Lhazosh," Irina confessed. "One claim speaks of a hidden slaver ring operating within the city. I've been unable to confirm these reports myself."

"Why didn't you bring this to our attention earlier?" Jason exclaimed.

"I intended to, once… I had more information," Irina said, losing her calm demeanor under Jason's look of disappointment.

"I'll talk to you later. You can leave, Irina," Jason said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Irina looked at a smirking Garth and walked out of the room. Jason then turned to Garth.

"Garth, you are going on a tour," Jason announced.

"What?" Garth asked, surprised.

"I need you to tour the lands under my protection. Go to Hesh and welcome them into the fold," Jason said.

"There's no need to travel there…" Garth began to say, but Jason was not finished.

"Then you go to Lhazosh. Look into the slavery thing there; I will meet you there," Jason added.

"I don't think there is a slavery ring in Lhazosh, Jason," Garth said, trying to stop whatever Jason was planning.

"Garth, my whole thing has been about liberating and protecting people. What do you think will happen when people hear about slavery happening in the place I swore to protect? This whole operation will fall apart," Jason said with a bit of panic in his voice.

"I think you're heavily underestimating how much the people love you here, Jason. You are being worshiped as a god. What you command, they will do. If you say there is no slavery in Lhazosh, they will obey and listen," Garth said.

"It doesn't hurt to check. I mean, remember the first two months, just you and I traveling and beating Dothraki?"

"I remember being taken captive and all this happening," Garth said, motioning to the room and the immortals stationed outside.

"But I'll do it. You are right; I do miss traveling. I will go to Hesh and then I'll meet you in Lhazosh," Garth said, conceding to Jason's plans.

"Great, it's going to be fun," Jason said, patting Garth on the back.

Garth's gaze shifted to the table, where he saw a parchment littered with names all starting with Jason; he saw names like Jasonopolis, Jasonberg, and various others in a similar vein. As he picked it up for a closer look, Jason quickly snatched it from his hands, a sheepish grin on his face.

"These are all terrible, Jason," Garth remarked with a raised eyebrow, realizing that they were names for the structure they were standing in.

"Make it simple," he added.

Jason paced back and forth, muttering to himself, "Simple, simple…" Suddenly, he stopped, a light of inspiration in his eyes. "Haven!" he exclaimed. "We'll call it Haven, for it will be a sanctuary for the oppressed, a place of safety."

Garth considered the name, nodding approvingly. "Haven... I like it. It's simple, meaningful, and it conveys the right message. I'll make the arrangements for it to be known among the people."

"Haven it is then." Jason declared.

 
3