3. Another promise
68 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Retribution is swift when an oath is defied



As I look outside the carriage window I can see the big sign at the entrance of town the words Welcome to RoseFront getting smaller and smaller. Leaving the place I once called home I feel nothing but relief.

As I look over to Shiro and Aki I sigh. They’re fighting again. “Aki, I said we should have waited a bit more before leaving so Sai could rest!” Shiro says as he tries to smack Aki’s arm. Aki rolls his eyes as he grabs Shiro’s arm that was close to hitting him. “And I said we can't, what if his parents try something?!” Shiro shakes off Aki’s arm pouting. “They wouldn’t dare.”

Aki turns to look at me then looks back at Shiro lowering his voice  “Well they sure do look stupid enough to try.” Shiro looks up at me briefly bumping Aki with his shoulder "It's fine Aki calm down I’m confident they wouldn’t have done anything, besides if anything did happen you would have protected us right.” Aki rolled his eyes and grumbled under his breath. "I'm not a guard dog or a babysitter," Shiro puts a hand over his mouth trying to muffle his laughter. 

As we arrived in a town called AstraKhan, Shiro explained to me that his house is at the edge of town and that we should arrive soon, I nod and look out the window. I wonder what his house is like. What if they don’t have any space for me?! Wouldn't they just throw me out? Do they even have the ability to take care of a child!!!?

Aki taking advantage of my dazed state starts to whisper to Shiro. “Shiro, are you planning on telling him about the others? With a blank look, Shiro turns to look out the window. “I forgot about them” Mouth agape Aki blinks “ ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Shiro puts his hand over Aki’s mouth, smiles at me then looks back at Aki. “SHHH quiet, look they’re not even home right now and they shouldn’t be back until tomorrow, We have plenty of time to explain.” 

Having caught my attention I raise my eyebrow as I stare at both of them. Shiro smiles at me and points out the window “Look that’s your new home Sai. Looking out the window I see a run-down mansion. The plants around the house look as if they have a mind of their own growing all over the house and the garden. The huge dead tree on the side of the house not helping as it casts scary-looking shadows over the whole house.

Well, at least space won’t be an issue.

Getting out of the carriage Shiro leads me up the steps of the house as Aki stays behind to pay the coachman. Waiting for Aki to join us Shiro takes out a silver key with golden stars carved into the bow and stem of the key.

“Sai I’ll make you a copy of the house keys tomorrow ok that way even if we're not here you don’t have to worry about not being able to get in.” Widening my eyes I grip Shiro’s arm “Where are you going, Are you leaving me?! You said that I could stay with you, You promised!

An electric shock ran through Shiro’s arm Numbing his sense of touch. Groaning Shiro grabbed my shoulder. “Sai that hurts” Shocked I let go of his arm, Gripping my hands I look down.

“No it was an accident, I’m sorry It was an accident I didn’t mean-- “SAI, look at me It’s ok, I’m fine. Hugging me Shiro sighs “I’m sorry Sai I should have phrased that differently, I ended up hurting you with my thoughtless actions.

Hugging Shiro back I look over and see Aki smiling at us with a nostalgic look. Noticing my eyes on him Aki walks over “Hey, that’s not fair I want in on the hug too!” before I can pull away he pulls both I and Shiro into a bear hug. Pouting Aki rests his head on mine.

Shiro’s the first to pull away opening the door to the house. Sucking in a breath I close my eyes and take a step inside. With my eyes closed, I hear Aki’s voice “See I told you, You shouldn’t have cast magic on the outside of the house, The kid looks terrified.”

Footsteps echo through the house as Shiro walks over to me. “Sai open your eyes the house is better on the inside despite what it looks like outside I promise.” Hesitating I start to open my eyes. Gasping I look around. How is this possible?! The house looks completely untouched, white marbled floor White walls with crown molding and a giant circular skylight above the large staircase in the middle of the room. Mouth agape I start to count the doors, one...two….three...eight…..TEN! “Shiro, why are there so many rooms!? Shiro’s cheeks turn red as he avoids my eyes mumbling “It’s not important we'll get to that later.”  ” Let’s go.”

Looking at Aki he just shrugs as he walks after Shiro, running after them I can’t help but blurt out. “THERE’S STILL MORE?! Aki’s laughter echoes through the house. 

Starting to feel dizzy as we walk passing hall after hall I turn to look outside freezing. 

“SHIRO!! AKI!!” Running up to the two of them, Shiro grabs me and pulls me behind him as Aki gets in front of us blocking us from the window both looking around and yelling “WHAT’S WRONG” Trembling I point outside the window. Looking outside the window all that can be seen is a beautiful cherry blossom tree and clouds. Clouds? WHY ARE THERE CLOUDS?

The horizon is gone……..The other houses are nowhere to be seen…… The town is gone. “WHAT’S GOING ON!!!

Shiro and Aki both sigh as Shiro lets go of me. Aki walks over and thumps Shiro on the head, in turn, garnering a smack from Shiro. Suddenly they start to make weird hand gestures, Shiro’s hand clenched into a fist while Aki shows two fingers. Pulling at his hair and groaning, Aki glares at Shiro while Shiro has a smirk on his lips as he waves at Aki. Aki walks over to me and crouches down.

“Sai umm” Aki ruffles my hair “Well you see….Damit Shiro how do I explain this.”

Shiro looks outside the window sighing “Sai you see me and Aki are not normal people.”

Grumbling Aki stands up “Don’t drag me into this.”

Glaring at Aki Shiro looks at me. “Well, you see as soon as I use the key with designs on it the house moves yep.....

Ok let’s move on.” nodding shiro looks at me smiles and then walks away. Aki sighs loudly and pulls me along. “Aki that didn’t answer my question” Aki looks down at me and sighs again. “He’ll explain it later, for now, let’s just go with the flow. He was like this when I first met him too.”

Unsatisfied with the answer I pout  “Fine”     

Following Shiro, we arrive in front of huge white double doors as Shiro opens the doors Aki pushes me from behind “Sai welcome to our over the top closet.” 

Walking into the large room with light gray walls, A blue velvet couch on top of a white and blue carpet with triangles printed on it. Next to the velvet couch stands a white and gold round table. In front of the couch is a wall with a full body-length mirror and two doors on either side. The door on the right is black while the door on the left is white. Shiro points at the black door. “Sai the room with the black door is for men, go in with Aki and he will help you choose clothes in your size.” Nodding Aki leads me into the room with the black door. 

As Aki walks further and further down the hall filled with clothes I notice a lot of weird-looking garments “Aki, what kind of clothes is that? Aki turns to look at it pulling it off the rack, looking up Aki looks at the small golden metal sign hanging above the rack.

Tilting my head as I try to read it. Ancient Hanfu?

Shaking his head, Aki puts the clothes back “It’s too big for you Let's try a different one” I pull his arm as he tries to walk away “Wait, Aki, what does ancient hanfu mean? Aki stops trying to walk away and instead turns around “Oh right you don’t have those in your world”

Aki lifts his arm and takes the clothes off the rack again handing it to me “ hmmm well Hanfu is the historical dress of people called the Han Chinese. It’s from an old-world Shiro visited a while back as a matter of fact almost if not all the clothes here are ones that Shiro brought back with him” Looking at the detailed piece of clothing I mumble “It’s really pretty” Aki nods “I think so too.”

Looking up I grab Aki’s arm again “WAIT!!” Taking my hand off his arm Aki sighs “What is it this time?” Looking like a fish gasping for air I stumbled on my words “WH-What  do you mean by my world?”  

With a blank look, Aki looks at me “Aggggg I forgot that he didn’t even explain that! Ahh, I’m going to lose my mind.” Violently ruffling his hair Aki bends down “Ok so like, haaaaa so you know how when you got scared because we were up in the clouds I tried to explain something to you.” Yeah, I remember, Why?” Aki chuckles ruffling my hair “That’s because we are in the sky well that’s wrong we are no longer in the same plane of existence as your previous home.” standing up Aki starts to walk away “Now let’s find you some clothes”

As I run in front of him to stop him from walking my head is spinning at what he just said “WAIT!!! Aki grabs me and puts me on his shoulder “I refuse, let's just look for clothes I’m tired.”                                                                       

Stepping out of the room I spot Shiro sitting on the blue velvet couch in a lazy manner reading a book.

Seeing us coming out of the room Shiro closes his book and sets it on the round table “So Sai what did you think of my collection?

Looking back into the full body mirror I see myself wearing a white t-shirt, black pants, a blue and white striped jacket which I put around my waist and grayish tennis shoes.

Aki whistles and Shiro claps his hands. "Well don't you look like a whole new person altogether," Aki says while walking around me. "Aki stop going around him as if that's the spot you want to lay down in'' Aki turns to Shiro "For the last time I AM NOT A DOG" Shiro walks behind me and teases Aki "Sure your not I completely believe you" Aki walks towards us "I swear you do this every time Shiro'' Shiro responds sarcastically and asks "OH don't tell me you are still mad about me not buying you that candy apple" Aki sighs "Look I'm going to wait outside since it seems that you need some time to think your life through." He says as he exits the room laughing. As Shiro sticks his tongue out at Aki. I ask myself Is this how normal people talk or are they just weird?

Shiro looks at me and says,  "Sai are you ok?" "huh oh no I’m fine I was just thinking I’m hungry." Shiro hums "Well good thing I finished cooking as you guys were in there as promised I came back to cook for you.” With a big smile on his face, he ruffles my hair.

I look at him trying to blink my tears away as I smile. "I'm glad someone like you took me in Shiro, hugging him. I let go then ran outside to meet Aki.

As I step outside the room I see Aki leaning against the wall. As I walk towards him he turns towards me and smiles as he looks around "Where's Shiro?"  "Oh Shiro is still inside getting his book" Aki sighs "mmmm he always takes forever he’s so slow sometimes, but I have the faintest suspicion that he does that to annoy me."

I pause as I look at Aki "ummmm Aki you know since I haven't interacted with anyone besides my brother I was wondering do you-and-Shiro-actually-get-along."

Aki looks at me puzzled at first but then he chuckles "You must have misunderstood when we were arguing but, this is how I and Shiro show our affection towards one another." "When Shiro first met me I was a very quiet kid who was scared of the world. I had a hard time speaking up and most times people would always forget I even existed but now, I  learned to express myself better thanks to Shiro."

As I stared at Aki’s blue eyes his expression started to soften. Suddenly Aki turned to look at me, startling me "BUT don't tell Shiro what I just told you or he might get cocky, this stays between us two ok?” He holds out his pinky to me

"OK” I hooked my pinky around his and now our promise was sealed.

  I and Aki jump as a voice calls out to us "What are you guys promising about huh? “Is it about me?" We turn and see Shiro standing at the entrance of the room smirking.

Aki walks up to him slinging his arm over Shiro’s shoulder “Of course, we were talking about you well about how much you like to eat that is” Aki says bursting out laughing. Shiro looks at him and crosses his arms "Ok so what if I like to eat huh? “Like you should be talking you eat more than me." As Shiro keeps on ranting Aki turns to me and winks, while putting his finger to his lips. "Yes yes ok Shiro can we go eat now," Aki asks while pulling Shiro along by his shoulder.

I smile as I jog next to Aki taking hold of his hand.  I laugh as I think to myself. My new family is weird but that’s ok I’ll accept them just like they were willing to accept me.


[I edited the format a little. I felt like the previous style was too blocky][/Does this format make it easier to read? I hope so >///<]
1