We Must Survive
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The plan was finally set into motion. The family's initial objective was to reach the basement unharmed and reach their car safely.

Arin's dad, armed and ready, took the lead and stepped out of the house. He carefully surveyed the surroundings for a few minutes, finding no immediate signs of danger. The coast appeared clear.

Returning to the house, he delivered a serious message, "The elevators are out of order. Electricity will be gone in a few minutes. We must use the staircase." The urgency in his tone reflected the gravity of the situation, emphasizing the need for swift and decisive action.

The door to the staircase, conveniently located opposite their flat, presented itself as the quickest escape route. The family, armed and resolute, steeled themselves for the challenges ahead. Arin's dad issued a grim directive, "Okay, on the count of three, all of you are going to run towards the staircase and head towards the basement."

This was the first time they had to face such a time constraint. Despite Arin being scared, her body felt unexpected joy. Her heart was racing as the adrenaline was pumping in. She pondered, "I think I am becoming crazy. The world is about to end, and my heart is racing."

ONE

TWO

THREE, GO!

All four members of the family ran as if their lives were on the line. Arin sprinted first, dragging her brother with her. Kevin could barely keep up with her. Her parents followed behind.
The staircase was dark and gloomy, like always, there were never any lights in the staircase.
They lived on the 10th floor so it was a huge stride down. By the time they were on the third floor. Everyone was huffing and puffing.
By the time they reached the third floor, huffing and puffing, a glimmer of hope rose in Arin's heart. "Mom, Dad, we didn't encounter any monsters. I think we made it," she remarked hopefully, desperately seeking a silver lining in their dire circumstances.

However, their fleeting respite was shattered by an ominous sound from below – scratching. Arin's dad instinctively pulled her behind him and cautiously approached the railing. Peering down, he discovered the source of the noise – the woman who had sought their help earlier. Only now, she had succumbed to the infection and transformed into a relentless zombie.

She, or that zombie, was banging her head towards the wall multiple times, and she was muttering to herself,

I AM GOING TO KILL THEM
I AM GOING TO KILL THEM

Arin's dad, realizing the imminent threat posed by the zombified woman, took a deep breath, tightening his grip on the weapon in his hands. The narrow staircase became a battleground, and the family braced themselves for their first direct encounter with the horrors that now roamed their world.

As he faced the approaching zombie, her mother swiftly assessed the situation. Determination flickered in her eyes as she stepped forward, ready to protect her family. She wielded a hammer, that she had picked up in their frantic search for anything useful. A hammer was more useful than a knife.

"Arin, Kevin, stay close to me," she urged, positioning herself beside Arin's dad. The narrow staircase became a battleground where the family's survival instincts kicked in.

The zombie, driven by an insatiable hunger, continued its relentless advance. Arin's parents coordinated their movements, trying to outmaneuver the creature in the confined space. Arin, feeling a mixture of fear and adrenaline, clung to the improvised weapon she had found, ready to assist in any way she could.

As the zombie lunged towards them, Arin's mom swung the hammer, aiming for the creature's head. The impact reverberated through the staircase, momentarily disorienting the zombie. Seizing the opportunity, Arin's dad delivered another powerful blow with a knife, further incapacitating the undead threat.

But still, the zombie stood up again and whispered grimly, "IT WAS ALL YOUR FAULT" and then lunged towards Arin. 

Arin managed to strike the zombie with a metal stick that had fallen nearby, but it only resulted in the twisted contortion of the creature's neck. The gruesome sight held Arin captive, rendering her momentarily motionless. Staring directly into the zombie's eyes, she felt an eerie connection, a silent exchange between the living and the undead that sent shivers down her spine. Paralyzed by the scary reality, Arin struggled to break free from the haunting gaze of the monster before her.

It muttered, "YES YOU YOU. IT WAS YOU"

The monster had an evil grin on its face.

Suddenly, her dad shouted, "ARIN, DON'T LOOK AT THAT. COME BACK TO YOUR SENSES."
Arin was suddenly pushed back to reality by these words and mustered the courage to strike at the zombie again, but this time Kevin, though scared, helped her by throwing a hard cricket ball at the face of the zombie. He had secretly taken that ball.

The struggle was intense, and the family faced the grim reality of battling former humans turned monsters. As the final blow landed, the zombie succumbed to the combined efforts of Arin's parents. Their weapons had proven effective, at least for the moment.

Breathing heavily, the family took a moment to regroup. Arin's mom, though fatigued, shared a nod with her husband. It was a silent acknowledgment of the unity that had helped them overcome the immediate threat.

Arin said in relief, "Wow. Mom, Dad you were amazing, even you Kevin"
Kevin was happy, that he was able to contribute. He then said to Arin, "You shouldn't jinx in a zombie apocalypse."
"What! it was not my fault", said Arin jokingly.
The kids began bickering as usual. Their parents were happy at this sight.
The worst was over.

"Enough kids. We need to keep moving. Stay close and be vigilant," Arin's dad said, his gaze scanning the darkened staircase ahead. The family, strengthened by their shared ordeal, continued their descent into the unknown, fully aware that more challenges awaited them in this new world.

But something made Arin worry; how could a zombie talk? That was never part of the folktales and stories. Something was wrong. She thought as she walked behind her parents, "When that lady said 'IT WAS YOU'. Was it referring to me? It was because of me she turned into one. Wait does it mean, that ever caused this apocalypse, can enhance human emotions? Wait that's scary. That can't be possible right."

0