Selection
325 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day of the ceremony finally came. Though the event was reserved for the young between 18 and 29, the whole town was excited. It was the time for aspiring people to get noticed by the entire world, but that was not the case for everyone. Some were stressed beyond belief. 

The sun barely appeared in the sky when Anyma and Chiyo walked to the ceremonial plaza. It was located in the center of the city. 

"Remember, blondie." Chiyo started. "Even nobles will be present. So keep your head cool." 

"Was that supposed to calm me down? If so, you're doing an awful job," Anyma shook her head as they advanced.

***

It was early morning, yet the plaza was brimming with people. The crowd was quite diverse: young girls of all ages, most thin, a few muscular or in good shape. Someone clad in white made her way toward the center of the plaza. "Must be the ceremony mistress," Chiyo said while glancing at the woman. "That's where I'll leave you. See ya later!" Then she walked away, waving her hand.

"Hey, wait!" It was too late, as she was already gone. "Goddamnit, Chiyo!"

The participants gathered around where the mistress stood. Anyma walked closer and watched.

"Good morning, my dear participants." The woman started in a calm voice. "As you know, today you are here to witness the birth of a Fate Bearer. The chosen ones will become this world's defense or destroyers, but only two people can receive such a blessing. Without further ado, I will ask all of you to bow before the two entities that make such a ceremony possible. I ask to welcome the Twin Goddesses: Lys and Morgana.

Concluding her speech, the woman kneeled. Then, everyone followed suit, kneeling and bowing their heads in respect. The blue sky turned yellow as a golden dove descended, scattering its feathers all over the bowing people. Right after, the golden sky turned black. From it descended a raven, its feathers as dark as night. 

"You may rise now." The birds commanded. 

The woman in white was the first to rise, and the two birds perched on each of her shoulders. The crowd rose, observing the two creatures that had just flown over them. The dove was as brilliant as the sun, radiating warmth. The raven, however, instilled fear and cold. Without any words, the dove flew over the crowd.

"So it begins." Someone in the crowd said in anticipation. The dove flew, glancing down at the people. Several minutes went by before it finally perched onto someone's head. A pink-haired girl. It was Bianca, known as 'the genius' for possessing magic equal to nobles while being a commoner. 

"Come forward, chosen one." The woman in white said, waving her hand at the girl.

"Of course, it would have made no sense if she wasn't chosen," Anyma said mentally, looking at the girl making her way through the crowd. 

Many jealous eyes stared down Bianca, but she ignored them. Once in the center, the bird flew back to the ceremony mistress and, in a gentle voice, spoke. "Ichiro Bianca. I, the Goddess Lys, blazon you as one of the Fates of this world. This title may not be abandoned in any circumstance. Now, receive your due blessing: The blessing of the ice storm."

A shimmering white light descended on the girl, her hair and complexion turning white like snow. The crowd was silent for a moment, but soon, they clapped for the girl. The raven then took flight, circling over the remaining people. Unlike the dove, it stayed in the air for nearly an hour, an unusual time, even for the Goddess Morgana, who was known for taking her time during these ceremonies. 

"How peculiar. Is something the matter, Morgana?" The dove called the raven, which flew back to the mistress. 

"My sister, I find myself in a difficult situation. Let me show you." Morgana explained, plucking two of her feathers and scattering them in the air. They then glided toward people as if they acquired a mind of their own. One landed in Anyma's hands, the other in the hand of a hooded figure. "The two of you, come forward." The raven ordered.

12