Hate the Sin and the Sinner – Part 4
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going through the verb conjugations, Henry Cook received small applause from his jailer after getting them right. “Very good, Mr. Cook, you’ll be talking like a native in six months or a year!” the jailer said.

“I’m surprised the Shazukar have kept their native language,” observed Henry. “Most cultures adopt the trade tongue within a few generations of contacting other cultures.”

“Yes, that’s something we’re grappling with. Parents see the benefit of their children learning the trade tongue, so they teach it or have it taught to them. There are conservative elements that promote our native language and resist its loss.”

“In Mytar we all just speak the trade tongue now. Our previous language is incomprehensible to most of the population, only scholars can decipher it,” said Henry.

“Well, I suspect you’ll get lots of visits from children whose parents want them to practice speaking with a native speaker, once people know that you’re here and you speak trade tongue,” said the guard.

* * *

Pacing in his cell, Joseph Baxtor saw the face of one of the village elders in his window. Walking over, he said, “We need to get out of here. Seizing my crew and myself won’t be tolerated by the Pantheon. The only possible outcome from this-”

“I brought you a cake,” announced the elder, proudly.

“I don’t want a cake,” said the captain. “The only possible outcome from this is to provoke-”

“How do you know you don’t want a cake?” asked the elder. “I didn’t tell you what flavor it is.” The elder smiled at the imprisoned, nonplused captain.

* * *

Lying on his cot, Frank Ward stared blankly at the wall. A young woman came to the window and kept calling to him until he rolled over and looked at her.

“I’ve talked to a number of prisoners over the years. You can’t let it overwhelm you. Get through this minute, then the next minute, then the minute after that. Is there anything you like to eat or drink that I can bring you? Is there anything I can do to help you get through today?” she asked.

With a sigh, Frank Ward turned back over in his cot and resumed staring at the wall.

* * *

Sitting cross-legged in his cell, Radiance was deep in communion with the elemental plane of air. He ignored the guard who said, “So, you’re communing with an elemental plane I see. Whatcha got there? The elemental plane of air? That’s a good one.”

Later, a child was propped up outside his window on her father’s shoulders. “Hi, sir. How are you today? Sir? Can you hear me? Would you like a cookie? Sir?” she asked. After being ignored for a few minutes, they left a package of cookies in the cell window and departed.

* * *

Moving smoothly through another set of exercises, Albert Reeves saw a guard approaching his cell door.

“I’m almost done, is it ok if I just finish off,” he said, continuing his routine.

“Oh, definitely! Take your time, I don’t have anywhere to be,” the jailor said. “We’ve got nothing but time, you and I.”

Finishing off the exercises, the out-of-breath third captain came to the cell door. Smiling, he said, “Good to see you again, friend. What can I do for you?”

“Oh, aren’t you the sweetest! I’m just here to see if you want chicken, beef, or fish for lunch?” asked the guard.

“Living on a ship, you get your fill of fish,” said Reeves. “Let’s go with the beef.”

“An excellent choice,” said the guard. “I think there’ll be a glass of wine coming with it today, so you can look forward to that.” He departed, whistling as he moved down the corridor.

* * *

The village elders looked at Sinclair Foran. Tea and biscuits had been served. The healer nibbled on a biscuit and had a drink of tea. “We’re planning to set sail in the morning, and I just wanted to stop in before we left and thank you for your hospitality.” said the healer.

“Your captain started out our meeting with him in a similar way, then stopped being nice,” one of the elders said.

“Yes, I understand,” said the healer. “I wanted to thank you for that as well. My understanding is that all of my imprisoned former crew members are being treated very kindly. That’s nice of you, and we appreciate it.”

“You’re most welcome!” said the elder, lighting up. “We hope that, over time, they’ll find a new purpose in life with us here.”

“Yes, I’m sure that’s true,” said Sinclair. “Of course, Mytar is inconsolable.”

“About what?” asked the elder. “We were given to understand that our laws and customs had his full support as a member of the Pantheon.”

“About the loss of his favorite son, Radiance,” said Sinclair Foran. “They’ve told us that he tosses and turns all night, flies into rages, and vows revenge.”

The elders looked at one another. “We were not aware that Radiance is Mytar’s son.”

“Oh yes. Well, his divine blood is obvious, isn’t it? The large size and orange skin. I’m sure over time Mytar will appreciate how well you’re treating him,” said Sinclair Foran.

“We hope so,” said the elder.

“Apparently warnings are going out to the whole Pantheon fleet to avoid all Shazukar ports. I suspect Pantheon ports will be closed to Shazukar ships soon,” the healer continued.

“That’s not very nice,” said the elder.

“Not nice at all, I agree,” said Sinclair. “There’s another rumor that the Pantheon is recruiting allies for war. Mytar wants to punish someone who hasn’t been very nice. I don’t know who though.”

“What sort of punishment would that be?” asked the elder, looking horrified.

“Bombardments, blockading ports, seizing ships, slaughtering locals. As you’re aware, the Pantheon isn’t as nice in its punishments as the Shazukar. I imagine they’ve contacted you to ask for your help,” said Sinclair.

“We haven’t heard anything about this,” said the leader, looking intently at Sinclair.

“Well, maybe they haven’t gotten around to asking for your help,” said Sinclair. “You’re a member of the Pantheon. I think they’ve contacted all the other members. I can’t think of why they wouldn’t include you in any preparations for war…”

“Do you think we might be who they’re preparing to attack?” asked the elder.

“You? That wouldn’t be very nice of them if they did. The Pantheon sometimes isn’t nice though…” said the healer.

“Maybe we could release Radiance. Do you think that would satisfy Mytar?” asked the elder.

“Radiance wouldn’t leave without his crewmates,” said Sinclair. “If he was forced out alone, I imagine he’d tell his father how angry he is at being imprisoned and losing his fellows. I don’t think releasing him alone would help.”

“I don’t know how we could release them all,” said the elder. “It’s one thing to make an exception for someone with divine blood. To release five people from prison would be too much.

“Perhaps you want to adjust the rules for foreigners? So many cultures just aren’t able to be as nice as the Shazukar. If you were going to rework the rules, then maybe it wouldn’t make sense to keep my crew imprisoned under the old rules?” said Sinclair.

“Would Mytar find that nice?” asked the elder. “Would it calm him down?”

“I’m certain it would,” said the healer.

* * *

Sailing away from Shazukar, Captain Baxtor, Henry Cook, and Sinclair Foran watched the receding coast from the quarterdeck.

“It’s ‘nice’ to get away from Shazukar,” said Sinclair Foran.

“You said it,” agreed Captain Baxtor. “That was quite a bluff you pulled off against the village elders. Remind me never to play ‘Matches’ with you.”

0