The Assassination of Joseph Baxtor – Part 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An older Radiance saw a very young version of himself giving a very young version of Joseph Baxtor the stink eye.

“I don’t need a babysitter,” said the young Radiance.

“I don’t see any babies here to sit,” said the young Joseph Baxtor. “I’ve been assigned to ‘keep you out of trouble’. You seem like a level-headed fellow, so I’m hoping this is the easiest assignment I’ve ever had.”

“Are you a priest? I curse Mytar to all the hells there are, if you are. That would drive off the other priests who’ve been assigned to me,” said Radiance.

With a chuckle, Joseph Baxtor said, “I’m not a priest. Curse Mytar all you want. I imagine it’ll do you as much good as cursing the sun on a hot day, but knock yourself out.”

“You’re a tough man to get a rise out of,” said Radiance. “Are you some goody two-shoes who always does the right thing?”

Wistfully, Joseph Baxtor said, “Alas no, although I wish I was. As amusing as this is, it might be more amusing over a pint. Are you a drinking man, Radiance?”

The scene shifted around the older Radiance and he saw himself months later, hanging out in Joseph Baxtor’s small apartment in Mytertown. His younger self was stretched out lying on the floor. “It’s just not fair. Everyone has more options than I do.”

“Yes, it’s very sad,” said the young Joseph. “We should go tell some of those starving beggars we passed earlier how hard you have it.”

“Heh, you really knocked that one beggar into the puddle,” said Radiance.

“I wish I hadn’t done that,” said the future captain. “He shouldn’t have grabbed me like that, but I could have handled it better.”

“It’s just that I can’t do anything. I’m not allowed to get married or have children. I’m being pressed into a priesthood for a god that I despise. I can’t get rid of you,” complained the six-foot orange giant.

“Heh, you’d think I invited you over on my night off, the way you’re talking,” said Joseph.

Chuckling the giant continued, “Everyone has more options in their life than I do.”

“You have more options than you think,” said Joseph. “You can’t get married or have children, but you can still spend time with any ladies who catch your fancy. There’s all sorts of things you can do with a woman that don’t lead to marriage or children.”

Grinning mischievously, Radiance asked, “Like what?”

“I’ll see if I can find you a book,” answered Baxtor dryly. “In terms of a job, what would you do if you weren’t Mytar’s son?”

Thinking it over, Radiance said, “I think I’d study the elements. Become an elementalist. Can you imagine how much that would piss off the priesthood? Mytar’s son as an elementalist.”

“Is that the only reason you’d do it? To annoy the priests?” asked Joseph.

“No,” said Radiance thoughtfully. “It would honestly be interesting to me.”

“Than why not study the elements? You can afford it,” said Baxtor.

The older Radiance said, “There’s nothing here to regret. These were some of the most helpful conversations I ever had. It changed the direction of my life.” The young Joseph Baxtor looked questioningly in the direction of the older Radiance, then the scene shifted again.

The younger Radiance was in Joseph Baxtor’s apartment again. He drew the curtains closed. “Are you sure you’re not under surveillance here? No one is listening in on you?”

“I’ve never seen any indication of that,” Baxtor said. “Calm down man, what’s the matter with you?”

“I’m in real trouble Joseph,” said the younger Radiance. “The worst trouble of my life.”

Pouring them each a whiskey, Baxtor handed the young elementalist one. “Start at the beginning and let’s sort it out together.”

“I’ve been spending time with a… friend. Margaret,” said the young Radiance. “She told me today that she’s with child. And that I’m the only possible father. What am I going to do? If the child comes out with any of my features, they’ll know that it’s an unauthorized descendant of Mytar. What was I thinking? This was the one thing they’ve told me my whole life can never happen.”

“Calm down, calm down,” said Joseph Baxtor. “I guess you didn’t read that book I got you as closely as you’ve been studying the elements.”

Radiance chuckled and rolled his eyes, before taking a gulp of whiskey.

“Here’s what we’ll do,” said Baxtor. “I’ll take your lady friend out to the Horsset Isles, I have some family there. They’ll take care of her and, I’ll return when she’s due. If the child can pass as a human, we’ll give her some money, tell her the trouble we can all get into if the child’s origin is discovered, and set her up as a young ‘widow’ somewhere pleasant. If the child can’t pass, I’ll give her the money to establish the life she wants to live and I’ll take the baby somewhere where it will be safe. I won’t even tell you.”

“Will that work?” asked Radiance hopefully.

“It’ll work, trust me,” said Joseph Baxtor. “Let’s never put ourselves through this again though, agreed?”

“Agreed,” said Radiance.

“That was the greatest thing anyone has ever done for me. How can this be a regret?” asked the older Radiance. The past Joseph Baxtor made eye contact with him as the scene shifted again.

Waving at Margaret’s ship as she departed, Joseph Baxtor hiked back to the cottage she had been staying in. The birth had gone smoothly and they hadn’t needed a midwife. The infant was swaddled and lay in a basket on the table. His skin was a light, golden color, clearly unnatural.

The older Radiance hovered over the baby. A smile was on his face as he saw his offspring for the first time. He tried to touch it, but his hand went through the baby. Behind him Joseph Baxtor took a basin out to the water pump and filled it up.

Radiance studied his son, as Joseph Baxtor unwrapped the baby and put him in the basin. Tears streamed down Baxtor’s face as he pushed the newborn under the surface and held him there.

“What are you doing?” asked Radiance horrified. “You were suppose to take him away somewhere safe.”

“There’s no where safe for him,” sobbed Joseph Baxtor. “It’s obviously Mytar’s grandchild. If he was anywhere in Pantheon territory, someone would eventually realize what he is. Outside of Pantheon territory, he’d likely be discovered and used against us. And you. It’s the only option.”

Tears fell down Radiances face. “Over the years, I’ve had my suspicions, but it was better not to know for sure. Oh gods!” the giant howled. “You killed my son!”

“I’m so sorry,” said Joseph Baxtor as he took the limp body out of the basin. “I’m sorry and I’m damned to hell.”

* * *

In the Phoenix’s infirmary, Radiance collapsed to the ground and Captain Baxtor moaned. The dagger was flickering in and out of reality faster. Henry Cook and Adam Hudson moved the elementalist’s enormous body to a cot.

“This isn’t good,” said Sinclair Foran. “If I’m not able to help him navigate this experience, I don’t want either of you to risk yourselves. Mr. Hudson, send a message back to the Pantheon and explain what’s happened here. Mr. Cook, take command of the ship and set course back to Mytertown.”

“Wish me luck,” the healer said, as he grasped the captain’s hand and found himself in the past.

0