Chapter 5 – Qua-Toyne development
136 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's message:

  • Busy, tired, unmotivated. Expect slow releases.
  • To add more delays I have to create a personal Encyclopedia for this story to keep track of everything to ensure continuity and lesser plot holes.
  • This chapter had to cut corners not ending the 4.5k words threshold but its atleast 3.4k words
  • Thank you for your patience and enjoy!

 

〈 Principality of Qua-Toyne, Lotus Garden - April 1639 C.C / 2020 U.C.E, 8:55 AM 〉

 

“Announcing the arrival of envoys from United Earth!” the guard announced.

The UE delegation made their entrance into the garden. In the middle of the spacious garden there waited lords of different districts of Qua-Toyne and prime minister Kanata in what appears to be a mini amphitheater.

amphitheater

sample image of an amphitheater

 

“Welcome esteemed visitors! I’m prime minister Kanata.” prime minister Kanata reaching out for a handshake.

It appears a handshake is a universal thing huh? Clayman thought to himself. He proceeded to reach out his hand to accept the handshake.

“Thank you for accommodating us with your time to conduct diplomatic talks mister Prime Minister” Clayman replied.

“Not at all, so please tell me envoys from the unknown lands of the far-east. What brings you to our humble nation here in the Rodenius Continent?” the prime minister asks.

“First off, we would like to apologize for the unauthorized breach of airspace of your sovereign nation days ago and we’re here to offer trade agreements and non-aggression treaties,” Clayman replied.

 

After having earlier a brief tour around Maihark, they were stunned by the agricultural wonders the Qua-Toynians are capable of. General Hanki explained how the lands of Qua-Toyne were previously blessed by the goddess of Terra in the ancient era. Much to the surprise of the UE envoys, the growth speed and abundance of the various plants breaks scientific explanation. Some plants differ in growth speed, but the fastest growing plant would be harvestable in just a week. Clayman and the rest of the delegation knew food was the utmost priority to secure, they hoped it would be easy to convince the Qua-Toynians of their questionable situation.

 

“We accept your nation’s apology since there was no harm done other than general disturbance that time so it's nothing to further raise a scuffle on. However, I'm curious… Before I want to ask for further details about trade agreements, why a non-aggression treaty sir Clayman? Your nation seems to be capable of building iron ships and iron wyverns that I could feel your armies could easily take over the Rodenius Continent” prime minister Kanata asked without hesitating nor questioning the visitors capabilities. Even his followers or district lords seemed already nervous.

 

“Mister prime minister, our countries forbid annexation or right of conquest as it violates the international law and peaceful status quo between nations. Our armed forces are only solely there only for homeland defense. However, we will not hesitate to go into war if our freedom or liberty is threatened. Still I want the best of our governments to not enter such scenarios.” Clayman replied with a straight face with little to no emotion.

 

“Hoh? If your collective nations are such pacifists, how could it be that your technology is somewhat advanced enough to breach our airspace with such ease?“ one of the lords commented. Until one by one the district lords began to mutter and raise their voices. Until one voice and question stood out silencing the others' arguments. “I would like to question if your countries have any non-human races as citizens?” another man's voice raised in the group.

 

“If I may, In the history of our nations or lands we only have humans, excluding the less intelligent life forms such as animals. But races such as elves, dwarves and others are non-existent in real-life. Or we could say they don’t actually exist on our previous planet. They are but mere fictional beings in our fantasy stories.” Vesely replied to the crowd, though he left out the existence of Martians as it was still a pending information. Mr. Shun then added his own comment to support Vesely’s statement.

“To add support to my colleagues' claim, we the United Earth alliance don’t belong on this planet or world. We were unexpectedly transferred along with our continents. As of now we are trying to establish diplomatic relationships with nearby countries such as Qua-Toyne to get to know more of the unknown lands we’ve entered.” 

 

After the district lords heard of the transference event they were still skeptical and baffled. Though a far western country in the second civilization continent did claim this theory that they were a transferred nation in the long past. The lords continued to doubt the visitors' claim.

“I propose we can offer to accommodate your own delegation for a tour of one of our countries.” Erick commented.

“Hmm… I suppose we can arrange that after we’ve decided on the delegation to send to.” Prime minister Kanata replied. “Then I guess we could move on to a different topic. Now about this trade agreement?” Prime Minister Kanata was still thinking how a trade could be made given they still don’t know what United Earth alliance holds to the table of negotiations. But he’s sure if possible a technology trade would benefit Qua-Toyne greatly at this time but then again technology is not something easily traded with just mere abundance of food. He proceeded to confirm his doubts.

 

“Mr. Kanata, we would like you to export to us around 1 billion metric tonnes of agricultural products such as vegetables, fruits, spices and other plants within every year if possible.” Clayman requested. Though the amount needed seems absurd for a medieval level of civilization to produce, this is hoping it could open new opportunities for their citizens to start investing more in agricultural produce.

 

The district lords were shocked by the requested amount. It’s not the fact they were shocked by the amount they’ve requested, but rather an assumption would mean the United Earth population exceeds an entire civilization area such as the Philades Continent or the 2nd civilizations. In reality the current Earth's population would probably be around 6-7 billion far exceeding all civilizations in the entire planet. If Heaven’s Fall event did not occur the total population would reach 8-9 billion by 2021.

 

“I see, the food export wouldn’t be a problem. It's just I’m afraid we would have trouble with the logistics of shipping these absurd metric tons of food to the far eastern lands.” Prime Minister Kanata pondered how to export perishable food this far without spoiling it in the first place plus the amount needed and man-power to make this food trade successful.

 

“For that problem mister Prime Minister, we will relay that to our superiors. We’re thinking of improving your ports and agricultural sectors to improve production and logistics altogether.” Erik commented on the matter. With in mind technology exports could be beneficial to this backwater country in the middle ages. However, there is so much technology gap between Earth and these natives it might tip off the balance straight away. The Earth’s envoys noted this possible concern for technology gate-keeping that a law would soon be enacted in the future to protect all of Earth’s advanced technologies.

 

At the end of day after a long discussion with the Earth’s delegates the Qua-Toynians felt weary and tired from negotiations but most importantly they were relieved to conclude with the following:

  • Non-aggression treaty between Principality of Qua-Toyne and United Earth (effective immediately)
  • Further discussion for food trade agreements between Principality of Qua-Toyne and United Earth
  • Future plans on improvement to logistics and transportation in Principality of Qua-Toyne
  • Authorize United Earth to construct an embassy on Qua-Toynian lands
  • Authorization to construct a Qua-Toynian embassy in Tokyo, Japan after the 1st Qua-Toynian delegation visit.
  • Authorize United Earth medical, topography and maritime research activities to be conducted on Qua-Toynian lands and seas

– – –

 

〈 1 week later… 〉

 

The 1st Qua-Toynian delegation was assembled under the orders of the Prime Minister himself. A team of 6 individuals gathered at Mai-hark airbase to be airlifted to the USS Nimitz.

“Oh? General Hanki!? I thought you left for your hometown days ago?” a young man said. General Hanki was calmly sitting on some crates laying around with some other individuals presumed to be assigned as part of the team to be dispatched to a United Earth nation. “Ah, aren’t you from the Foreign Affairs Ministry lad?” Gen. Hanki asked. 

“Well yes sir, the name is Yagou. It’s a pleasure to be with you on this journey” Yagou replied. He then noticed the worrying face of the general. “Something bothering you Mr. Hanki?” he asked.

“Well they said we’ll be traveling on a ship to one of their nearest countries called uh Jaw-pan was it?” he commented. Yagou then remembered yesterday how absurd the submitted report document for his diplomatic mission. It appears that a multitude of countries of only humans have an alliance called United Earth on the far eastern hemisphere where its last known historic record denoted a leviathan-infested sea monster which rendered sea expeditions dangerous. But history has now decided to change in today’s era with a mysterious arrival of ironclad ships manned by magicless humans on top of that. There was one thing stuck on Yagou’s mind after the recent events in Maihark and Qua-Toyne. They must not underestimate nor lightly offend these humans from the far-eastern lands. The last thing they would want is making a new enemy worse than the Lourian Kingdom.

“You know how dreadful traveling by ship is, right? Limited food on top of that salty taste as we have to preserve those. Dark rooms below deck and lastly the awful stench in there.” Gen. Hanki complained.

“Mr. Hanki, with patience and gratitude we can push through our daily struggles in life. I’m sure their ships won’t be as bad as our own. As a matter of fact, I’m more excited to see what kind of iron ships are capable of traversing the infamous eastern waters without oars or sails. On top of that they’ve managed to navigate or fend off possible sea monsters lurking in the depths as last records mentioned.”

“Well if you’re that optimistic sir Yagou, I might as well ask my last prayers to the gods of Terra hoping for the best.” Gen Hanki said as he tried to commune to the gods in the heavens. Traveling by sea was never a good experience within the 3rd Civilization. Limited food supplies, sanitary quarters and favorable weather conditions always takes a toll on a seafarer.

A discernible wind chopping sound started to sound off in the distance…

“Hey look! That must be our transport!” one of the Qua-Toynian delegates shouted while pointing in the northern horizon. “Oooh…interesting, for once in my life I can get to experience communal air travel. I’ve heard this in the 2nd or 1st civilizations that air travel was a luxurious experience available only in superpower countries. While flying a wyvern is no different than horseback riding, being flown while not worrying about piloting is a sure way to enjoy the skies!”

A while later the aircraft came into full view which amazed the delegation. The aircraft that arrived was the V-22 Osprey, thanks to its VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) feature it does not require a runway to land, instead it lands like a modern conventional helicopter would. After the V-22 landed the back ramp opened revealing 2 of the United Earth envoys Michio and Erik.

After a short ride on Osprey the Qua-Toynian delegates were surprised at how smooth the flight was but that will soon be forgotten later on as they arrived in Pearl Harbor Hawaii after spending a short day on sea traveling they were greeted to another air travel but this time the aerial transport they were about to board was multiple times bigger than their first one. “By the gods of Terra this thing is even as big and more spacious on the inside! Plus the chairs are more comfy than the one we first rode!” Yagou commented on his excitement. The Qua-Toynians envoys were beginning to be certain at this point, these people must not be trifled with.

– – –

 

A page of Yagou’s journal written at the night they’ve arrived on a hotel in Tokyo, Japan

 

Our way of living and common standards in Qua-Toyne cannot describe one of their capital cities. But this is not even their grand metropolis as they’ve mentioned. They told me that I should visit a city called “New York” to see what a metropolis 

As if it is the heaven of where the fairies of luminance dwell in every corner of their marvelous towers and homes.

Their non-flammable torches of the night seem close like miniature suns that expels the dark. Intriguing small hanging rectangular frames of their walls that can control the temperature. Horseless iron carriages called cars that makes our finest royal carriages pitifully laughable to the point even our common citizens can barely afford to own a wooden carriage yet the United Earth citizen’s lower or middle classes can easily afford a car be it brand new or second-handed. One of our own delegates keeps pestering the U.E. envoys the concept of loans and dealership afterwards.

More shocking is that every entity or phenomenon that continues to amaze me and my companions is the fact all of these wonders are purely man-made. No magic nor mana, only humans and low-level common species (animals/insects) not even gods blessed these lands. Although when I asked one time how they’ve managed to advance so far without mana and magic they gave me a multitude of answers but I only managed to remember a male human named Benjamin Franklin who discovered the lightning element or a nameless ancestor of theirs who makes monkey noises that discovered the fire element through lightning. Either way both of their stories are just as equally crazy. I mean both magicless humans were equally struck from the heavens by lightning and lived to tell the tale.

Currently even their own descendants gave no quarter for concerns to me now is how their advanced technology mostly revolves at making things explode or conjuring the element of fire and utilizing the principle of heat through the absurdity of precise manipulation of what they call chemistry or physics. Maybe we should suggest to our alchemists to reimagine the way we study the basic elements of Terra.

I’m not an expert of science nor arts-magic, but what these people are capable of is in the realms of otherworldly beyond gods I suppose. One of my companions is even fearful to assume that they may be the ancient sorcerous empire. But if they were to be in fact they could've taken over Qua-Toyne without holding dialogue. For that, they aren’t enemies of man but possibly the new writers of Terra’s history.

I don’t have to further explain what General Hanki witnessed on one of their military demonstrations of one of their nearby bases in the city. As his defeated face and demeanor says it all. Inconceivable yet overwhelming should be the phrase for it.

Only time will tell if the new dawn of solstice will shine upon mankind or will it burn us to cinders.

– – –

 

〈 October 1639 C.C / 2020 U.C.E, 6 months passed〉

 

Diplomatic exchange between United Earth and the Principality of Qua-Toyne has been successful over the first few months since the first exchange. Qua-Toynian coastal cities have received infrastructure improvements to easily accommodate large cargo shipping operations. Railroads using decade old train systems from Japanese railroad companies proved cost-effective to logistics inland. Farming has vastly improved to yield more crop harvest in under a week.

 

Sewage systems installed in major parts of their towns reaching farther to remote villages. Improvement to educational school systems and properties allowed all Qua-Toynians to earn education. Healthcare and life expectancy miraculously increased that even elven races were shocked to find out that they can possibly double their lifespan without the need of magic or special rituals. More importantly public safety has vastly improved thanks to the installation of some few solar panels and wind turbine engines in remote locations where agricultural infrastructures are located mostly. This improved lighting installations such as lamp posts and indoor lighting that discouraged the use of flammable lighting methods in most cases. There were in fact mana-lamp posts but this was too costly to maintain as mana-stones expired due to continuous use of light-magic.

 

At this point citizens of Qua-Toyne experienced the increase of lifestyle and living standards potentially surpassing the superpower of the Philades Continent, the Parpaldia Empire sooner or later.

 

Meanwhile Earth’s nations managed to solve the impending food crisis before it gets out into public. There was still some civil unrest and conspiracy across the United Earth continents but eventually over time these inconveniences will subside soon. Qua-Toyne was just the starting point.

“Good job in that first country Mr. Clayman, however it's unfortunate we couldn’t convince the entire Rodenius continent to immediately do trade with us…” 

“We still don’t know how these natives culture or common way of thinking mister president. As far as we know we should treat all the natives with extreme prejudice if possible.” Clayman said. After getting a bad intuition on his previous mission to Louria Kingdom. He couldn’t help but think of an impending load of paperwork about to file on his desk in the future.

“Humans will be humans after all. But here in our modern society, all I want is transparency and assurance. Now about that potential region in the Kingdom of Quilla…”

“Yes sir, we can crop up some favorable deals with them but it will raise some undesirable attention from the central U.E. government…”

 

The two men continued their discussion over the phone till sunset.

– – –

 

〈 Louria Kingdom, Jin-Hark - July 1639 C.C / 2020 U.C.E, 3 months ago 〉

 

Below west within Rodenius Continent lies Louria Kingdom. A rising major power with a population of 38 million people. Originally it was just a medium-sized country but previous monarchy rule pursued aggressive expansionism ideals overtaking half of the Rodenius continent to themselves.

It was a country of human supremacists where non-human races were freely prosecuted. The main reason why Qua-Toyne and Quilla citizens don’t have good relationships ever since.

The night was still young and hot steam was pouring out at the king’s private bath chambers. A man arrived at the door behind the king who was currently sitting comfortably in the hot bath pool where nearby were some well dressed human female maids on stand-by. 

“Wine please!” the muscular man in bath robes said. He was the king of Louria Kingdom, King Haak Louria XXXIV. The man in a fully armored suit moved closer behind the king.

“My king, new provisions and equipment have finally arrived at each port from our sponsors. We can finally proceed to the 3rd phase.” the man in jet black armor signifying he was some sort of a high ranking knight or swordsman. He relayed some sort of important message to his leader. “Excellent, once the armada departs at our largest seaport, give the order that the entire divisions must march north just before the border. We are done waiting, soon Rodenius will be united under my name!” a muscular man grins at his master plans while basking in his personal bathhouse.

“We still have to deliver our promise to their liaisons however…” the knight commented. “I know! But frequently thinking of those bastards they’ve sent to observe us makes my patience nearly tip over! They’re practically looking down at us.” The king was frustrated that he had to put up a welcoming gesture and act to some envoys in the Philades Continent to gain extensive support for the Parpaldia Empire. “Once our Rodenius conquest is done we’ll increase our ambitions towards the Philades! Hehehe, they won’t know what will hit them once they’ve let their guard down in the future!”. The king openly commented.

“There’s also that one report we’ve managed to receive months ago about my liege…” the knight said. “Ah, count Hothmund who’s overseeing the foreign affairs division.”. Reports of an unknown country of diplomats arrived at one of their ports near the borders of Qua-Toyne requesting to hold diplomatic talks. Until they were almost accepted to hold dialogue with the count, one of the counts secretaries discovered they had already formed diplomatic relationships with the Principality of Qua-Toyne and Kingdom of Quilla abruptly turning them away. It was also assumed that they may be a barbaric nation that just recently formed outside of the civilization areas. But given the eye-witnesses evidence their envoys were all humans so they were told off with a warning to either break ties with the demi-humans or come back later after the unification.

“Hmmm…those outer civilizations can be dealt with at a later time. For now let us focus on our conquest at hand!” the king said in a confident tone.

“Yes, your grace!” the man in armor bowed before leaving.

Rodenius continent previewa map portion of Rodenius continent, a part of Philades Continent and some United Earth nations near 3rd Civilization Area

Author's comments:

  • The map used for visualizing Earth continents/islands uses AuthaGraph projection instead of the Mercator projection
  • As for Nihonkoku Shoukan continents/islands remains the same as what the Wiki fandom uses

5