Part 5: I’ll Find You
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two scofflaws ran through the darkened streets of Uruda, Kajulan leading the way while Tekole followed, not really sure where they were going. The stone road sent them along a series of twists and turns until at last they came to the edge of the city, silhouettes of buildings replaced with the vast expanse of the sea. Kajulan ran out onto the pier, swinging around at its edge and leaning against the railing elbows first. The ocean backlit her, its light turning her skin a shade of blue. Tekole stopped in front of her, the stolen box still clutched in his hands.

“So,” began Kajulan, speaking between gasping breaths. “What did you think?”

“About what?” Tekole asked.

Kajulan chuckled and shoved him. “About the robbery we just committed, you lug!”

“Oh, right.” Tekole walked over beside her, facing the ocean and hanging his arms over the railing. “In all honesty, it was less scary than I though it would be.”

“Really?” Kajulan asked, still staring forward as she caught her breath.

“I mean, I was kind of nervous at the start, but then I punched that guy, and you took his gun, and then he just kind of gave up.

Kajulan nodded and smiled. “Heh, yeah.” She glanced over at Tekole, and then down at the box in his hands. “You know, probably don’t want to be dangling that over the open-ocean.”

“Oh yeah. Probably not.” Tekole turned around to face the same direction as Kajulan, and then looked down at the box. “So, how are we getting this open?”

“I’ll handle it,” said Kajulan, snatching the box from him.

“You know how to lock pick?” Tekole asked, thoroughly impressed.

Kajulan tsked at him. “Lock picking is for dainty burglars afraid to get their hands dirty.” She raised the box above her head, and then flung it against the ground as hard as she could. It splintered as it hit the ground, it’s contents spilling out across the ground. The two knelt down, observing their prize.

“Is. . . that it?” asked Tekole.

Kajulan gestured towards the ground dramatically. “I mean, it’s money Tekole. Isn’t that what you we’re expecting?”

“Well, yeah.” Tekole picked up one of the coins, viewing it from between his fingers. “I guess I was just expecting, more of it.”

Kajulan shrugged. “I mean, it’s still a “something nice” amount of money, isn’t it?” Tekole looked at her, confused. “Never mind. Here.” She eyeballed the pile, and scooted about half of it over towards Tekole. “There’s your share.”

Tekole picked up another one of the coins. “Hey!” he exclaimed. “This one has a boat on it!”

“Aw, cool!” replied Kajulan, relieved that he no longer seemed disappointed.

Tekole looked up from his half of the loot and stared at her. Kajulan tilted her head.

“Hey,” he said. “Can I have the sword?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sure.” She unbuckled the sheath from the belt and tossed it over to him. “Knock yourself out.”

Tekole admired the cheap blade for a moment, before shimmying on his knees over to the railing. Kajulan followed.

“You know,” he said. “It’s been a while since I’ve actually looked out at the ocean.”

Kajulan took a moment to reply, briefly mesmerized by the shining sun beneath the waves. “It’s been a while for me too.”

“Hey Kajulan?” asked Tekole.

“Yeah?”

“Did you really just need me to punch a guy?”

Kajulan turned towards him and smiled. “I mean, yeah. I guess so.”

Tekole turned away from the ocean and towards her. He began to laugh, and then Kajulan began to laugh too, in the way that one does when something isn’t really funny, but the laughter itself is infectious.

Eventually the laughing died down, Kajulan wheezing out a final chortle, and both her and Tekole were left looking at each other.

Kajulan leaned in and kissed him, her hand grabbing his chin again, like it had earlier in the day. She felt him move forward slightly, his face pressing against hers. After a brief moment she withdrew, but remained close enough to feel his breath touching hers.

She swung around. “Well, I’ll, see you tomorrow. We’ll come up with something cool for you to spend your earnings on.”

Tekole scratched at the back of his neck. “Oh, okay. Yeah. We’ll do that tomorrow.”

Kajulan shoved the coins from her share into her pockets and stood up. “Yeah, tomorrow, that’s the plan.” She began to back up. “Don’t worry about a meeting place, I’ll find you.”

Tekole barely had the chance to nod before Kajulan ran off, disappearing into the night. He watched as she left, before sighing and turning back towards the sea.

0