Chapter 9
482 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Was I too trusting for my own good? Most people in my situation would say so considering the fact that they may probably know how much power I am throwing around carelessly. Well in life I came to learn a few things and one is although trust is earned, you have to give someone your trust first with a level of security to determine their character and whether you might choose to associate with them once again. 

Yes, I had the power but I didn't know how to use it or what would be my next step afterward. Starting a company from scratch sounds all that exciting and all but some of you don't consider many things in such a decision. One is that gaining trustworthy employees and a decent client base is tough. In addition, not everyone is skilled enough to run a business. 

Personally, I was a decent computer and software engineer even without my ring I could potentially start by making my own applications or make an OS that I could sell if I studied a bit more but what is preventing the current reality from not having all the useful tools and computer languages I am familiar with. This world is different from what I know because from my brief scans, although the technology has advanced, the internet has just been released a few years back. There is still a lack of a majority of useful apps, programming languages, and a lot more that I currently have knowledge of and could probably replicate which gives me massive room to maneuver and dominate a specific section of the market. 

Working with Frost International would provide me a ready doorway of entry into the industry with a ready market and free advertisement helping boost the sales even more at a time like this before the age of the internet has yet to kick off appropriately. What I'm also considering is the fact that this world has massively scarey geniuses who could adapt my work, make it better, and resell it back to the public. Competing with such people who have decent backing would only be a big loss on my part. It's like asking people what would they trust between a weapon made by Stark Industries or one made by an unknown guy to be used in war. 

As for me giving out information about the power rings, it was going to happen eventually when I began making a lantern corp of my own. That is inevitable because even if the ring is powerful, it is highly dependent on its user and I would be closely monitoring every ring through the ring AI and also many security measures along with commands to self-destruct in worst cases if the user dies and the ring gets lost to make sure nothing as dumb as it gets taken by someone as dangerous as Thanos ever occurs. The universe has its fill of dangerous forces, powerful entities, and madmen while considering all the things that might come to happen, I prefer building my trustworthy force to be reckoned with that could scare off and even manage to push back catastrophes such as an annihilation wave considering Earth's luck. 

This process would involve me recruiting potential allies or my targets of interest who could eventually help me out once I manage to help them out of their situations and stuff. Was this manipulation, maybe who cares. All is fair in love and war and there is no way I could sit back and let some people who were once my favorite characters suffer preventable devastating fates and waste their talents and lives. 

I wasn't going to establish a peacekeeping organization like DC's Green Lantern Corps but I was aiming more for an organization to help prevent major catastrophes, world-ending or reality-ending on Earth and the rest of the multiverse while enjoying our lives and carrying our interests. If the people I may recruit choose to help better their planet, it is up to them cause not many can choose to ignore a suffering individual considering the rings would choose headstrong individuals. I can say the same for myself but I am not hero material or will ever be. 

I am a selfish, self-centered prick who would use my power to rise to the top and destroy my enemies ruthlessly but I am also soft enough to help those who I see suffering. I would only provide a solution to their problems whether they choose to accept the advice I may offer and follow up with it is all up to them as I won't concern myself with someone who spits at my generosity and will end up suffering for the same issue once more. I had chosen to take any of my given opportunities by the balls and not waste them no matter what. I reaffirmed my will to myself before snapping my attention back to my earlier negotiation. 

The room had been silent for a while as everyone was mauling over the offer that I had provided more so Emma. I wasn't asking just for a simple cooperation that she knew and understood. Her astute mind had already figured out that if all I said was true I would probably become indispensable to her as I was a cash cow offering myself to her all she had to do was accept but at what cost that was the big dilemma. 

Such a level of technology and knowledge no matter if I started my own company from scratch would still give me a boost to the top in the long run either way so I'm pretty sure she was mauling over our share rates or something. Raven was eying the new power ring in awe, suspicion, greed, and a hint of mistrust. I understand her cause who in their honest mind would offer such power for free in exchange for trust. The fact that I had created another ring right in front of them only meant I could probably control all the rings so thoughts of if the ring could probably control her in turn were running in her mind. 

On the other hand, Irina seemed more on edge than the rest. Her hands clenched and unclenched the hem of her dress periodically due to nervousness probably due to her precognition abilities she had been foreseeing this for a long time. She already knew my intentions from when I created the new ring and has probably been anxious about this situation for a very long. I had asked my ring earlier to scan her to see whether it could fix her visual impairment as a way to demonstrate my gratitude and a sign of success in our negotiations. 

Well although the green lantern rings are powerful, they are not known for their healing capabilities like the red lantern rings which would keep their users alive without a heart, or the blue lantern rings which had the best healing but, thanks to the addition of the star heart and its empowerment the ring could potentially assess the damage and slowly reconstruct her optic nerves while in the process dispose of any harmful tissues and providing her with an extra perception view of the world similar to eyesight due to the ring interfacing with the user's brain virtually allowing her to see with her eyes. 

This would also help in extending her lifespan further due to it being one of the ring's basic functions before any further changes can be made later as I had detected her health was starting to deteriorate slowly as she grew older. How did I know all this, the ring has biological records that I have yet to go through but this was the easiest of some that I have seen in the free time I took to orient myself with the ring's functions. 

"So... let's say potentially, I accept the offer and become your ally and get one of these rings of yours eventually, would I become your subordinate?" Emma's question brought me out of my musings but her final words were said with such venom that I almost recoiled prompting me to remember her past from the comics. It seems she went through something the same here also but I had to reassure her at least for now as I had this deal almost in the bag. 

"Nope that would be against our mutual agreement does it not? What I want right now is trustworthy people who would stand by my side as possible partners in the long run so no it will be an equal cooperation where we help each other by bringing something of value onto the table. I help you and you help me." I had tried choosing my words correctly here and didn't want to end up causing a misunderstanding right now but it seemed to have served its purpose as I saw Emma's facial expression visibly relax. 

There is a chance I'm being played right now but I still have many cards up my sleeve that I won't reveal. 

"So what do you choose?" I asked this time slowly folding my palm to hold the ring and send it to my subspace giving both Emma and Raven a sudden sense of urgency as it seemed I was gonna take back the offer if they didn't respond quickly. 

"We accept the offer but how about we negotiate the cut first?" Emma as expected caved in first but I just paused my action instead giving her a false sense of hope. Woman you might be beautiful but I will milk any opportunity to get any benefit from you cause I typically have less to lose. 

All the file records I had obtained from the red room in addition to our identification papers were in my subspace so they had no leverage over me. It was time for me to acquire assets and become rich for the first time in both of my lives. I stopped my spiraling fantasies and stared seriously at Emma my expression remaining completely neutral as I finally proceeded to strike the iron when it's hot. 

"Mhh, how about letting me become among the major shareholders in Frost International and taking me under your wing in the hellfire club? That would be a decent start." This was my reply which made Emma turn serious. 

"Becoming a shareholder won't be that difficult but as of now apart from me the next person holding the majority of the company's shares would be my elder sister who would oppose my decision strongly." It seems that there was a family beef somewhere but at least this side of hers shows her competence. So I nodded in understanding before we proceeded to discuss more on the first request. 

After minutes of back-and-forth conversation, I came to learn that although Frost International is a private corporation, it still has its fair share of government contracts along with headstrong useless shareholders. From our conversation, I already came to infer it had only been two years since Emma took charge as the CEO and she has been working to secure all the assets along with progressively working to become the sole proprietor of the company which according to me is a smart decision. 

No one likes a board of useless directors opposing their decisions in what should be your family's property although she was receiving massive oppression from her sister Adrienne. Well, this was family drama to my ears at this point but it was kinda interesting. What next would I come to hear that her brother killed their dad for being abusive? All I figured is that I would be in theory under Emma for the time being until she gets shit done correctly first which was no big deal for me. 

"As for the hellfire club, for now, that's complicated but doable. Currently, I am aiming for the seat of white queen maybe you can support me but currently my best advice is to hold back on that front for a while there are too many eyes there." 

Her response was logical and satisfactory to my taste therefore we continued discussing for a while ironing out the details of the deal, my and the girl's education, and presumably the first product I would offer for release. After getting details and evidence of our agreement down on paper with signatures and all with Raven as a witness, I finally let go of the ring pushing it towards Irene. 

The ring floated in mid-air stopping right before slipping itself onto her hand. Greenlight emerged from the ring bathing her and the surroundings in bright light for a short while before it slowly receded to present her once more but this time with her eyes' irises that were previously white now tinted in a shade of green. 

I crouched slightly in front of her a gentle smile adoring my face communicating to my ring which confirmed that the process had worked just as I had hoped. I constructed a handkerchief which I used to wipe off the tears flowing down Irene's cheeks gently as I continued giving the stunned woman a gentle smile. 

"You look more beautiful with your eyes open but the process to fix your eyesight will take a while. So if you want to retain your temporary vision for now, I would advise continuing to wear the ring. The rest you can ask it to provide you with details." I told Irene as I gently held her cheeks while wiping her tears. 

"T… Thank you so much. I…" She was left speechless as I placed my finger sealing her lips after thanks. I couldn't understand her feelings of finally being able to see for the first time in more than 80 years but I could imagine the feeling. 

"The thanks was more than enough although there was no need for that. It's what I can do after you made all this possible for me and my sisters so it's a show of my gratitude." I left Irene with these words as I turned back to face the shocked Emma and Raven who I nudged to come and help her wife for now. 

As Raven and Irene had their lovey dovey moment I decided to finish my objective here for now and finally go and begin my plans. 

"We still have more to discuss later on by the way but right now I have something important I have to attend to. Also, remember the day you decide to break my trust and betray me is the day I will burn all that you care about and love to the ground. Have a nice day." These were the words I left behind for Emma with a smile and saw her shiver in turn. I closed the office door behind me and walked off to set my plans into action and solve problems I have been pushing back due to lack of time. I had a job to do.

Hope you enjoyed the story. Don't forget to leave a comment and review.
You can support me on Patreon through the link below.

patreon.com/DarkZzzeph

28