Chapter 35. Into the darkness (2)
37 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Into the darkness (2)

 

Hmmm….weird... It has been progressing smoothly so far; if I remember correctly, it's a bad premonition in most scenarios. Is this also how a protagonist feels? Did I finally gain plot armor? If that is the case, please let us get through this.

 

While I'm having a dumb reverie, Eu’s voice wakes me up.

 

“We’re close.”

 

Several lights have become increasingly visible...

 

“The sky capital..." A voice inevitably escaped my mouth as the scenery in the sky seemed implausible.

 

Sky Capital is the renowned capital of the Grandian Empire, where most of its powers revolved. It was bright even at night, making it visible to the naked eye. Despite the world's groundbreaking technological advancements, its majestic fantasy vibes were simply breathtaking.

 

The place where everything will start. The place where the two protagonists reside, while I'm below having my life fucked up, there's no need to get bitter about it. I'll reach that place at all costs. But first, I need to get Eu out of here. This is not all about saving Eu anymore; if I let them catch her, they will make a clone that will cause disaster in the future.

 

The homunculus slaughters countless lives. The mark of MC's downfall. I already verified it with Eu. In this day and age, Charles has yet to extract any samples from her. No matter how great, that bastard Charles is creating a homunculus. It's futile without a specimen.

 

It's a disaster that even the two protagonists couldn't handle. That clone has a weak mind and seeks to become real. Eu didn't bat an eye when countless people died from her clone.

 

"Hartless monster!!! Why didn't you help sooner?!!!"

 

MC's voice, filled with hatred and grievance, is still clear in my mind. He begs Eu's aid, but she doesn't possess empathy.

Eu's different now; that scenario can be thrown in the bin for all I care.

 

"Eu, hurry; that should be the place."

 

“Uhh, umm, what's in there? ”

 

“Train station; someone should be able to help us there."

 

Her relatives set their eyes on the orphanage. Eu's not an orphan originally; she has been kidnapped.

 

If this goes according to the scenario, the orphanage should be suspended for a while. Lhina will most likely disappear, and I won't have anywhere to go. I hope Eu’s relative has some place for me.

 

…huh? Wh….

 

Suddenly, a tingling sensation hits me. A foreign feeling that I never felt before; it’s creeping into my whole body, my mana.

 

This is dangerous!!

 

“Eu, get on!!! ”I lowered my body in a rush. “We have no time; something was nullifying my mana.”

 

Sensing the dire situation Eu rid on my back. The moment I safely got a hold of her, I augmented my whole body with mana. As I felt that thing was catching up to us, I kicked the ground, sending us flying in the fastest possible way. However, despite our explosive speed, something caught up to us first.

 

 

BANG!.

 

Bullets…

 

BANG!BANG!BANG!

 

“Tsk… not planning to let us get away, huh.” Using the Mana Realm.

 

I managed to evade the bullets without slowing down.

 

“I’m still using concealment magic. How did they find us? They are not using mana, aren’t they? ”I can’t see her face right now, but I can feel that she’s having complicated emotions.

 

Yeah, the moment I sense my mana getting dispelled, I already realize that there's another energy in the surrounding area. Unlike Leyline, it's completely annulling my mana.

 

“There’s it!!!! ”I saw the end of the forest, catching a glimpse of a place that seemed to be a station.

 

Tightening my hold on Eu, I further increase the speed. I do worry about Eu, but I sense she is fine despite how fast we are going.

 

“Carus stop!!!! ”Due to Eu’s panicky voice, I abruptly stomped my right foot to stop, causing us to tumble and get separated.

 

“Damn! ”Getting back to my feet, I realized Eu was looking in front, where we were supposed to go through. “Wha... Are you serious? We're almost there. Fuck it!!!!! "

 

A transparent barrier of unknown origin was already blocking the way. Without a doubt, they entrap us.

 

Walking beside me, Eu taps my shoulder. "There's still some way. I can...”

 

“NO! ”Cutting her off, I walk toward the barrier.

 

Eu, who saw me, panics. “Carus, don’t do it; it’s not mana; it's dangerous. That a….”

 

Eu’s words became maple as I put both of my hands on the barrier.

 

I don't know what kind of fucking power it is, but I refuse to accept this. I wouldn’t lose here; we can’t lose to some lousy power, right, Ciestia? 

 

Mana burst out of my body, while the repellant from a foreign power burned my hand. It hurt me a bit, but I could pull it off. I could see the magic circuit; it was no different from the usual barrier, and the energy that flowed within was just different. I just need to cut a portion large enough to make a passage.

 

Ugh, Cilestia!!!

 

As a hole appears in the barrier, I grab Eu’s hand, throwing her on it. Instantly, the hole immediately recovers.

 

Just as I thought, it’s a self-recovery barrier, and it’s a fast one on top of that.

 

“CARUS!!! What are you doing? ”Eu screamed, with an expression I had never seen in her before. “Open the barrier again and come here; if not, I...”

 

I can't; I’m not used to this barrier yet. If I were to do it again, it'd just cause me to pass out. Though I can’t say that to her, she might hate me and do something reckless instead.

 

Seeing her in tears hurts my heart, though I've had no choice. I smile gently, making sure I look confident. "This is not about me; I’ll be fine. Just make sure to go there and fetch me some help, but please don’t do something reckless.”

 

“You don’t need to do this; you just need to say it, and I can.”

 

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. It's not self-sacrifice."

 

Eu backs away as if to see something terrible.

 

It's happening again; blood and a world of ruins were flaking my sight again. A surreal feeling washes over my body, while a voice I can't hear invades my mind.

 

Tracing the weird sense on my face, I realized I had a terrible smile.

 

Do you want me to accept those dreams?

 

You may annihilate them. They're weak.

 

Without that voice, I know it myself; this is not self-sacrificing. 

 

It's indulgent.

 

I turn, my back from Eu's closing my mind. Her words don't reach my ears anymore, nor do I sense her emotion. But the last emotion I saw in her says it all.

 

Sensing their presence

I made my way back to the dark forest to greet them.

 

The pieces of memories I always believed to be mine slowly fell apart. A vivid dream was all that was left.

 

"1, 2, 6, 8, 28... It's not a lot."

 

***

 3rd person pov

 

With the aftermath of the battle as a background, four-figure seats on a wooden chair at the front table. On top of it was a much more advanced orb, displaying several screens portraying the current events in the orphanage.

 

"Unbelievable! That kid just made a hole in a barrier with polar opposite power on it! "Alaric exclaims in interest in his seat, closely observing the scene.

 

Even Oscar, on his left, was disbelieved as well. “Yeah, I doubt he ever dealt with that type of power before; it’s really hard to believe it.”

 

“Urghh, those pests got it. It's my favorite.” A woman near them was uninterested in their topic, thus sulking with a shattered orb in her hand.

 

“It’s fairly old; it's best to replace it," Alaric remarks while his eyes remain on a screen in front of him.

 

Oscar, who's doing the same, concurs. "Yeah, it’s also hard to watch on a small orb. This one is better; it can make screens on thin air.”

 

“You guys can’t understand it!!! ”

 

Unbeknownst to them, Lhifhina, who was sitting across from them, mumbled something that made everyone feel guilty.

 

“Caru, I want to be there with you; however, I...”

 

None of them can help Carus; their existence alone has a great influence; those meddling with fate can cause much worse disaster, and enemies that'll appear wouldn't be a joking matter. Knowing that they have no choice but to leave it in the hands of a child with little influence and less impact.

 

As a new scene unfolds on the screen, it's Carus running and fending off a drone with a slingshot and other improvised things; taking down nine drones in total is fairly admirable for his age, though Lhifhina, who was also watching it, felt more distraught.

 

“Is there a chance of Caru killing someone? ”

 

The woman on her left panics as she realizes the question was meant for her. "Ehhh, er... no, there’s no possible future where he’s able to kill.”

 

Oscar, who’s listening, interjects. “Well, that's something to expect; those guys were trained adults." Gazing at the screen, he continues, "It’s only possible in fiction or some special cases... though it confuses me why he hasn't used those things yet; is he saving them? "

 

“Things? Wha….”

 

Lhifhina was about to ask out of curiosity, but Alaric jumped out of his seat and got everyone's attention.

 

“HE, he just killed!! ”

 

“He used it.”

 

“Impossible; the tree of Providence should have foreseen everything that will happen in his future.”

 

Amidst the shocking development and confusion, the tender expression of Lhifhina came back to her. While the corners of her lips curled up.

 

Yeah, I shouldn’t have to worry. You don't need me. After all, you always had her by your side.

 

2